“AMAZING” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #15 of 39 hotels in Ocho Rios
London, United Kingdom
“AMAZING”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

This was my second time visiting the Jamaica grande hotel. The first time was good but this time it was amazing, they were a lot more attentive and seem to take a general interest in their customer feedback. There was even a lot more peeks to visiting a second time round we were given free wifi, welcome drink has you arrive and a lot more help with accommodating us on arrival. The staff were amazing when it came to attending to our general needs and were very polite. some of the staff names were Richard Hutchinson, grill staff, Paul Williams, Bryran Gooden and the staff that clean the room. overall all the staff i came across were very polite and provide me with excellent service during my stay. I'm looking forward to my third visit already.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a fridge because i believe it will come in handy during your stay.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends

4,319 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,144)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
Edmonton, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

Sunset Jamaica Grande is a great resort to host your big day and I couldn't have imagined it any better! Our wedding was held at the North gazebo and everything turned out better than i could have ever imagined. Shelly and her crew did a fantastic job at bringing all my visions to life and making our special day one that we will remember forever :) All the staff are extremely friendly and so energetic. Loved every minute of our stay!!!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

After reading the reviews of this resort I was a little worried, but those negative reviews couldn't be more wrong. It was the BEST time my husband and I have ever had on vacation. The service was AMAZING. All of the staff was so nice and so willing to help with anything they could. The food was delicious and they had plenty of options so there was always something to enjoy (my favorite was the yummy French toast). The drinks were strong and they kept them coming. It wasn't too crowded at all, there were always plenty of beach chairs. Our room was nice and clean. The bed was hard to us, but that's hardly a complaint since we didn't spend much time in our rooms! We're planning on going back this year, and can't wait! Don't listen to those bad reviews, I think those people would have been unhappy no matter where they went!

Room Tip: We stayed in the cabana suite on ground level which guaranteed an ocean view. We didn't have muc...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Saskatoon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

We spent a week at the all-inclusive February 19-26. We upgraded our room to have a beach front cabana. I have no other rooms to compare to, so I feel our room was adequate. It was clean and presentable but could have used some freshening up. Lots of chipped tiles on the floor and gouges in the walls.
The food at the resort on the buffet was okay. One night they ran out of food. I waited and waited for anything to come out for re-stocking and nothing seemed to come and none of the staff ever updated us on the food. My supper that night was a hot dog bun. I don't know if they ever restocked the food. They may not have realized it was spring break in Canada making it busier. Hard to get reservations at the a la carte restaurants especially on the weekend. We had one reservation at 8:30 for chinese food. That was a little late. The others we could not get into.
The best part - the hotel is convenient to many tourist sights and 5 minutes walking distance to the town.

Room Tip: I recommend upgrading to a beach front cabana - way more convenient that the tower rooms unless you...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Alicia L, Guest Relations Manager at Sunset Jamaica Grande Resort, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
Thank you for sharing your comments regarding your recent stay at our resort.

I am happy that you liked your cabana room as well as the location of the Hotel.

I must however apologise for the untimely replenishing of food at any of our meal times, this is certainly not the norm and we have already addressed this area with our Food and Beverage team so that there is no reoccurrence.

We appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving our overall guest experience.
Regina, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

They were very accommodating in moving our rooms around so we were closer to our friends. The staff is very friendly. The food was really good and so were the wide variety of refreshing drinks. Pretty much everything and anything you wanted to drink they could make other than a Caesar. Our room was clean and comfortable not all the finishes were updated but your not there to sit in your room. The beaches were good and the snorkeling side had a some good activities for the whole family. Short walk into town for shopping, I would recommend this resort.

Room Tip: If you go to bed early don't stay in the North Tower with a poolside view. The entertainment ar...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
England
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

I went to the Jamaica Grande in December 2012. My mom and I went for a short break. I'd heard both good and bad things about the hotel, so was a little apprehensive when I booked the hotel. Upon arrival we were greeted with a lovely cocktail and a warm, friendly smile. We were first booked into the North Tower on the 6th floor. The tower seemed to be a million miles away, anonymous and quite isolated and also the corridors carpets were in need of a good vacuum which is something that I've never seen before.
We asked to be transferred to the South Tower which I believe was the original part of the hotel. There, we felt more like were in and a part of the hotel.
The feel of the place, particularly the foyer was nice, with quite a chilled-out and friendly atmosphere.
The hotel looked a little worn around the edges, particularly the outside areas.
The dinner was great on the first night, but by the end of stay, all the food seemed to taste of not very much, a little bland and boring.
With that said, the hotel staff were amazing; really helpful and friendly. In my opinion it is as best a three star, average hotel. It's OK , but nothing spectacular.
I would recommend this hotel, but ask that you have an open mind, and not to expect perfection.

Room Tip: Although the rooms are currently being refurbished in the South Tower, I would still recommend the S...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Terrebonne, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

Hotel - A bit worn down but clean & comfortable
Food - Ok but repetitive
Grounds - Pool & beach always clean
Animation - From 10 am to 5 pm great fun with DJ's ( Crazy Charli ) and his team.
Staff - Always sharp and helpful. Never asked twice for anything even if the buffet was packed
with people.

Was at SJG from feb 22 to march 1 with my teen age daughter and had a ball. If you want to
try Jamaica at an affordable price than this is the place

Room Tip: The higher the room, the nicer the view
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Been to Sunset Jamaica Grande Resort? Share your experiences!