This review is based 100% on the experience my wife and I (32 and 36 years old) had at SJG. The bus trip with Jamaica Tours was 2 hours long but that's what we were expecting. On the way to Ocho Rios, we stopped once (which was good because the Red Stripe beer I bought at the airport went right through me) plus 2 other resort stops. On the way back we didn't stop at all. We checked in at 6:00pm and were on our way to our room withing 5 minutes. Our room was an oceanfront room on the 9th floor of the north tower. We heard a lot of negative feedback about the north tower so we tried to stay positive. The view was pretty great but I wouldn't like a room below the 5th floor because you will get a great view of a huge roof. We found the room, furniture, and bathroom to be a little worn but it was something that we soon got used to (nobody spends a lot of time in the rooms if you're doing it right).
I found that my wife and I spent more time at the north pool and bar than the beach. I wish they had more umbrellas around the beach and pool decks so I could spend more time chillin' with my crossword puzzels. By afternoon, we moved our way up to the pool with the water slide and water volleyball 'cause that's where you can find Gizzy and Crazy Chris with music and games. Crazy Chris plays to the crowd and will always put on a good show that will make you laugh to no end.
We found the nightly entertainment to be a little boring due to it mainly being singing (I like it when it's a show or bringing the crowd into it). Pirates night was a show not to be missed and there was a couples game that we enjoyed. We had 1 ship come in on Monday, 1 on Tuesday and 2 on Wednesday; based on that, we visited Dunn's River Falls on Thursday. Dunn's River is about 5 min away and we visited at about 9:30 in the morning. I would HIGHLY recommend that you visit early in the morning and when there is not a cruise ship at port. Our group of 6 was the first one to go up the falls that day and soon after it looked like ants covering an ant hill (with no cruise ship remember).
I would also recommend not accepting any "gifts" for "free" from any vendors in Ocho Rios. They try to get you to put it in your hand or write your name on the free item and then try to guilt you in to a "tip". You can also get stuff for cheap that way. Also, be carefull of any any locals trying to sound friend and start showing you around, it's not free. It's always OK to just say "no thank you", just be polite (respect mon).
We both thought the spa was as good as any other spa we've been to so far. We had a 60min couples massage for $170. Be very CAREFULL of beach volleyball!!! If you take it as serious as I and most other men did, you will get a bloody knee on the first day. There is VERY hard sand under the softer sand.
We thought the buffet restaurants could be a little better with better service from the wait staff and a little more selection. If you want something, don't wait for them to ask. The a la carte restuarants very pretty good with the best experience being at the South Beach Grill with Shane as our waiter; he was absolutely top notch! We made reservations for all four restaurants on our first morning at about 9:00 in the lobby. I've heard a lot of negativity in the past but I believe they changed thier booking process.
Overall, we would say that we we're happy with our stay at SJG. The staff was pleasant, plenty to do, and food and drink was good.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Escape to the all-inclusive splendor of the legendary 730-room Sunset Jamaica Grande Resort in Ocho Rios with its spectacular variety of amenities, divine dining, spa and stellar location. A beautiful white-sand beach fringes the resort while five lavish pools meander through this beachside complex, featuring waterfalls, plunge pools, Jacuzzis, swaying rope bridge and swim-up bars. Amenities include five restaurants, two beach grills, eight bars, two kids clubs, non-motorized water sports, full-service spa, air-conditioned fitness center, tennis, mini casino, nightly entertainment, disco, shops, business center, conference facilities, weddings and much more. Services abound, offering the ideal getaway for singles, couples, families and groups. The sensational Lighthouse Waterslide opened in April 2007. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, BookIt.com, Booking.com, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Tingo, Travelocity, Orbitz, Otel, Priceline, BookingOdigeoWL, Hotels.com and Despegar.com so you can book your Sunset Jamaica Grande Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sunset Jamaica Grande Ocho Rios
- Sunset Jamaica Grande Resort Spa
- Sunset Jamaica Grand Resort
- Sunset Grande Jamaica
- Sunset Jamaica Grande Hotel
- Jamaica Grande Hotel
- Sunset Jamaica Grande Resort Ocho Rios