“Day Trip was a Pleasurable and Relaxing Surprise” 4 of 5 stars

3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   P.O. Box 100, Ocho Rios, Jamaica   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #17 of 39 hotels in Ocho Rios
Angola, Indiana
“Day Trip was a Pleasurable and Relaxing Surprise”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

On our recent cruise (12-12-12 through 1-3-13), we booked a day trip to the Sunset Grand-- offered through Jamaica for a Day tours. We arranged this visit via the internet before embarking on our voyage. I believe we spent about $50/adult for this all-inclusive day pass to use the property's pools, beaches, non-motorized water sports, enormous buffet, bars, jerk chicken stand, common lounge areas, etc. It was a terrific place to simply relax and soak in the beauty offered at Ocho Rios. We could see our ship (the Destiny) from the beaches, but the Sunset's numerous sparkling clean pools provided a relaxing/laid back retreat.
I was surprised that we were the only passengers from the Destiny at the Sunset. It proved to be an excellent choice for our day (Dec. 31, 2012) on the Island because it was spacious and not overcrowded. The Sunset has water slides for younger kids and an activities staff for teens who are interested in more organized fun. There were guests playing beach volleyball, basketball, sun bathing, participating in pool race games, and snorkeling. My teen boys had plenty of room to throw football on a large stretch of the resort's coastline. My daughter enjoyed the fresh water pools-- as she dislikes the salt water pools on the ship. In keeping with what we have found to be common at Jamaican resorts, a local high school's drum and trumpet band performed and played festive music at the main pool during the noon hour. Yet, the resort was so large that guests could go to at least two other pools, which offered a quiet place to snooze. Part of our family actually had trouble finding us at the Sunset's expansive grounds-- they had climbed the falls prior to joining us at the resort.
The wait staff was helpful and treated us just like their overnight guests. They informed us that the Sunset offered a jerk chicken stand every day at lunch time. It was some of the best jerk chicken I have had on the island!
We never had to wait for services at the many bars. And, Red Stripe beer was on tap-- I have stayed at two other resorts on Jamaica and neither had Red Stripe on tap!
We bought our fill of t-shirts, Blue Mountain Coffee, jerk spices, and other souvenirs at the well stocked gift shop. Although, the Blue Mountain coffee at the gift shop was overpriced as compared to the retail outlets near the dock.
The only reason I am giving the Sunset less than a perfect score is because I feel they could take better care of their beaches. It looked like no raking had happened for a long time. I also did not like the cement ash trays lying between the shrubs that were directly next to the pool areas. And, the bathrooms were far away from most of the pools. Some overnight guests told me their rooms had mold on the ceiling tiles, but they did not mind because they spent very little time in their rooms. I did not see any mold, but this is something that I would not stand for. I did see several areas were being freshly painted around the pool area.

Room Tip: We did not stay overnight.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

4,558 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,264)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
Bealeton, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

a long awaited vacation turns into reality. we were ther jan 8 for nine days and found evrerthing to be as expected, pool was tad kool but its winter there also, . food was great loved the asian and italian places, the waiters were fun as were the bartenders. what ever drink you wanted they could do, they had a special everyda and our daughter would get that. go and enjoy some free time

Room Tip: south tower up high
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013 via mobile

Stayed at the Sunset Grande Ochos Rios, dec 15 - 22 2012
Was our first trip out of Canada, hotel was great they up graded us to a ocean front cabana which was spacious and very clean, tipped the maid daily for such a great job, as well we tipped the taxi's they were all great and very polite people.
The food was good and was plentiful as well as the drinks! We got married there and we have to say we don't have any regrets of a destination wedding everything went smooth and lovely never worried at all and it was beautiful I have to thank Shelly Kelly the wedding coordinator who made everything go perfect as well as the girls in the salon they did a great job on hair and make up Thanks Girls! Just a note the staff and hotel was great with my husband being a paraplegic everyone helped out to make our stay great and very wheel chair accessible. Can't wait to go again!

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Fredericton, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

We returned from Sunset Jamaica Grande on January 19th and had a fabulous week, with sunshine, great food, wonderful accommodations and the fantastic staff at Sunset Jamaica! Don't hesitate to book your vacation to this resort! The a la cartes are great...particularily the italian, where Charmaine and Keven took great care of us, lots of smiles and laughs and fantastic service! Get to know your bar tenders, Monica and Sandra took great care of us, and have really great senses of humour, always smiling and willing to help in anyway! Sonia at the buffet took such great care of us...never to far away to get us whatever we need to make our meals enjoyable! Senior with Air Canada Vacations was awesome too....we enjoyed every minute! Would I hesitate to recommend this resort to anyone...nope I sure wouldn't....will I be back....yup..I sure will! Try the spa...prices are reasonable...and the ladies there are sweet...very relaxing! Our room was in the south tower, the only problem we had was the remote wasn't working and with one phone call...it was resolved! As far as tipping goes...be discreet...these employees deserve it...they go above and beyond to ensure you enjoy your stay!!! Thanks to everyone for an unforgettable vacation....see you next year!!

Trent and Liana

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Horsham, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

We stayed 1/8/13-1/15/13 for a friends wedding. It took two hours to get from airport to hotel, didn't know that before we left! Not worth the trip.

Let's just say I tried to leave 2 days early but the $240 dollar change flight fee detered me. Seriously, who tries to leave vacation early? That's how bad this place was.

As for the hotel: We paid more for the cabana suite, big mistake! The room was out-dated & the toilet paper holder was off the wall just laying on the bathroom counter. There are two floors for cabana, we were on the second floor which meant you didn't have direct access to go out to the beach, you had to go through the halls and down the stairs like everyone else in the hotel. A friend of ours said Cabana suites 101-105 & 201-205 were blocked by a building so you couldn't even see the ocean. Overall, cabanas weren't worth it, you picture beach access & never ending ocean beauty... CORRECTION, your in an inlet with a cruise ship parked across from you. Cool. My girlfriend getting married was upgraded to a huge suite, room 1227 & it was breathtakingly beautiful. If I could do it over again, I'd just get the ocean front (my friend had room 1408) and it was beautiful & updated. The water slide is awesome, I don't care what you say or think- do it. We played a lot of beach volleyball which was great & the entertainment at night was ok. The people I was with made this a great experience, nothing else.

If you want to eat buffet every single night, this place is for you... and its continually the same mediocre food. If you would want to dine at the restaurants, good luck! You have to get up at 8:30 AM to reserve for the following night. The restaurants are "booked" by 9 AM. Finally the last three nights we tried the restaurants, they were good... the restaurants were never full, the waiter just said they were under-staffed. Pretty sure I paid 1400 dollars so you can staff the restaurant & not force me to eat buffet food every night. By the end of the trip, we were always going to the lighthouse & just getting grilled cheese at lunch because the buffet was so bad.

The wedding location was nice, she got married in the pagoda. The wedding planner was great & made it a stress free experience. We went to Dunn's River Falls, cool experience & worth the price. We also went scuba diving, it was okay. Margaritaville was a cool experience. Overall, I can say I went to Jamaica & never plan to return. I'm your average person & an experienced traveler that knows when I didn't get my moneys worth. I do not recommend this place.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

Hello Everyone, just spent a second week at Ochos Rios Sunset Grande Jamaica. Again a fabulous time as always. Reading some of these reviews you can tell who is used to 5 star hotels. For the price the value is spectacular, as we will be returning again in the future.
A big shout out to a few particular people working at the resort who made our second trip even more enjoyable than the first:
Senior - Air Canada Rep for the hotel, awesome and polite, and always helped us out when asked.
Cruz - was our little waitier in the dining room, always smiling and eager to help.
Hot Rod (Roderick) - was the omlette maker in the morning. Best meal of the day thanks to this man!
Demron - Bartender at the main lobby bar in the evenings. Enjoy the stereo buddy!
Michael - The head butcher at the resort. Was an absolute pleasure talking to him and learning about Jamaican lifestyle. Great guy!
Last but not least is Douglas, the manager from Guest Services. We had dinner with Douglas and enjoyed his presence immensley.
Again I would highly recommend this resort for the price and value.
Thanks!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Cornwall, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

Just returned from 7 days in Ocho Rios at the Sunset Jamaica Grand. Purpose of the visit was to visit with my husbands family. Location made it very easy to do. Paid for upgraded ocean front room but the view also included the roof of the main building which we were not impressed with. Went to the desk and ended up moving the next day. Had ocean view which we liked more than the ocean front. Variety of food great. My husband enjoyed all the Jamaican choices. Ate at all 3 specialty restaurants and they were all great. Many pools to enjoy and 2 small sandy beaches. Large grounds. Bartenders were friendly and fantastic and certainly added to our enjoyment. Service in buffet restaurant excellent as well. Also got to meet the Resort Physician as my husband got ill. He helped us navigate the insurance issue and had great bedside manners. So glad we had insurance.Close to town and felt safe walking around. Already planning our next trip. Only downfall is that you have to pay for internet and it is only available in main lobby..

Room Tip: South Tower, renovated rooms are the best. The higher number rooms or lower number rooms have better...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Sunset Jamaica Grande Resort? Share your experiences!