“very relaxed” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #16 of 39 hotels in Ocho Rios
Bealeton, Virginia
“very relaxed”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

a long awaited vacation turns into reality. we were ther jan 8 for nine days and found evrerthing to be as expected, pool was tad kool but its winter there also, . food was great loved the asian and italian places, the waiters were fun as were the bartenders. what ever drink you wanted they could do, they had a special everyda and our daughter would get that. go and enjoy some free time

Room Tip: south tower up high
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

4,621 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,293)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013 via mobile

Stayed at the Sunset Grande Ochos Rios, dec 15 - 22 2012
Was our first trip out of Canada, hotel was great they up graded us to a ocean front cabana which was spacious and very clean, tipped the maid daily for such a great job, as well we tipped the taxi's they were all great and very polite people.
The food was good and was plentiful as well as the drinks! We got married there and we have to say we don't have any regrets of a destination wedding everything went smooth and lovely never worried at all and it was beautiful I have to thank Shelly Kelly the wedding coordinator who made everything go perfect as well as the girls in the salon they did a great job on hair and make up Thanks Girls! Just a note the staff and hotel was great with my husband being a paraplegic everyone helped out to make our stay great and very wheel chair accessible. Can't wait to go again!

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Fredericton, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

We returned from Sunset Jamaica Grande on January 19th and had a fabulous week, with sunshine, great food, wonderful accommodations and the fantastic staff at Sunset Jamaica! Don't hesitate to book your vacation to this resort! The a la cartes are great...particularily the italian, where Charmaine and Keven took great care of us, lots of smiles and laughs and fantastic service! Get to know your bar tenders, Monica and Sandra took great care of us, and have really great senses of humour, always smiling and willing to help in anyway! Sonia at the buffet took such great care of us...never to far away to get us whatever we need to make our meals enjoyable! Senior with Air Canada Vacations was awesome too....we enjoyed every minute! Would I hesitate to recommend this resort to anyone...nope I sure wouldn't....will I be back....yup..I sure will! Try the spa...prices are reasonable...and the ladies there are sweet...very relaxing! Our room was in the south tower, the only problem we had was the remote wasn't working and with one phone call...it was resolved! As far as tipping goes...be discreet...these employees deserve it...they go above and beyond to ensure you enjoy your stay!!! Thanks to everyone for an unforgettable vacation....see you next year!!

Trent and Liana

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Horsham, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

We stayed 1/8/13-1/15/13 for a friends wedding. It took two hours to get from airport to hotel, didn't know that before we left! Not worth the trip.

Let's just say I tried to leave 2 days early but the $240 dollar change flight fee detered me. Seriously, who tries to leave vacation early? That's how bad this place was.

As for the hotel: We paid more for the cabana suite, big mistake! The room was out-dated & the toilet paper holder was off the wall just laying on the bathroom counter. There are two floors for cabana, we were on the second floor which meant you didn't have direct access to go out to the beach, you had to go through the halls and down the stairs like everyone else in the hotel. A friend of ours said Cabana suites 101-105 & 201-205 were blocked by a building so you couldn't even see the ocean. Overall, cabanas weren't worth it, you picture beach access & never ending ocean beauty... CORRECTION, your in an inlet with a cruise ship parked across from you. Cool. My girlfriend getting married was upgraded to a huge suite, room 1227 & it was breathtakingly beautiful. If I could do it over again, I'd just get the ocean front (my friend had room 1408) and it was beautiful & updated. The water slide is awesome, I don't care what you say or think- do it. We played a lot of beach volleyball which was great & the entertainment at night was ok. The people I was with made this a great experience, nothing else.

If you want to eat buffet every single night, this place is for you... and its continually the same mediocre food. If you would want to dine at the restaurants, good luck! You have to get up at 8:30 AM to reserve for the following night. The restaurants are "booked" by 9 AM. Finally the last three nights we tried the restaurants, they were good... the restaurants were never full, the waiter just said they were under-staffed. Pretty sure I paid 1400 dollars so you can staff the restaurant & not force me to eat buffet food every night. By the end of the trip, we were always going to the lighthouse & just getting grilled cheese at lunch because the buffet was so bad.

The wedding location was nice, she got married in the pagoda. The wedding planner was great & made it a stress free experience. We went to Dunn's River Falls, cool experience & worth the price. We also went scuba diving, it was okay. Margaritaville was a cool experience. Overall, I can say I went to Jamaica & never plan to return. I'm your average person & an experienced traveler that knows when I didn't get my moneys worth. I do not recommend this place.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

Hello Everyone, just spent a second week at Ochos Rios Sunset Grande Jamaica. Again a fabulous time as always. Reading some of these reviews you can tell who is used to 5 star hotels. For the price the value is spectacular, as we will be returning again in the future.
A big shout out to a few particular people working at the resort who made our second trip even more enjoyable than the first:
Senior - Air Canada Rep for the hotel, awesome and polite, and always helped us out when asked.
Cruz - was our little waitier in the dining room, always smiling and eager to help.
Hot Rod (Roderick) - was the omlette maker in the morning. Best meal of the day thanks to this man!
Demron - Bartender at the main lobby bar in the evenings. Enjoy the stereo buddy!
Michael - The head butcher at the resort. Was an absolute pleasure talking to him and learning about Jamaican lifestyle. Great guy!
Last but not least is Douglas, the manager from Guest Services. We had dinner with Douglas and enjoyed his presence immensley.
Again I would highly recommend this resort for the price and value.
Thanks!

Cornwall, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

Just returned from 7 days in Ocho Rios at the Sunset Jamaica Grand. Purpose of the visit was to visit with my husbands family. Location made it very easy to do. Paid for upgraded ocean front room but the view also included the roof of the main building which we were not impressed with. Went to the desk and ended up moving the next day. Had ocean view which we liked more than the ocean front. Variety of food great. My husband enjoyed all the Jamaican choices. Ate at all 3 specialty restaurants and they were all great. Many pools to enjoy and 2 small sandy beaches. Large grounds. Bartenders were friendly and fantastic and certainly added to our enjoyment. Service in buffet restaurant excellent as well. Also got to meet the Resort Physician as my husband got ill. He helped us navigate the insurance issue and had great bedside manners. So glad we had insurance.Close to town and felt safe walking around. Already planning our next trip. Only downfall is that you have to pay for internet and it is only available in main lobby..

Room Tip: South Tower, renovated rooms are the best. The higher number rooms or lower number rooms have better...
Atlanta, Georgia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

My family and I visited this resort approximately eight (8) years ago. THE RESORT WAS GREAT and we had a WONDERFUL TIME. The food was great, rooms were clean and the entertainment was OUTSTANDING. My husband and I returned on January 14, 2013 for our 25th anniversary…WHAT A HUGH DISAPPOITMENT…There were FOUL SMELLING cats walking throughout the dining room while we were eating. In addition the decoration in the main dining room was dusty and in poor taste. The facility is dingy…(in desperate need of power washing and painting). The entertainment with the exception of Crazy Chris was lacking. Our room was awful. I can go on and on but it is NOT worth my time. STAY AWAY FROM THIS RESORT

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Sunset Jamaica Grande Resort? Share your experiences!