Stayed Dec 11 - 20th, 2012. Stayed in the South tower, newly renowed suite, on the 11th floor with amazing views and the suite was very spacious, clean, well equipped and what I needed for my visit. Housekeeping seemed friendly when I seen them in the halls but I never required any service from them. Front Desk at check-in were polite and efficient, was served a welcome drink. Had to wear a bracelet when I was there for the week. The grounds were well maintained, there was an abundance of food at all times of the day or late evening and wee hours of the morning. Only down fall is I had tours booked every am and the breakfast only opens at 8am but when I was able to get breakfast before a tour, there was always a lot of variety.
The bartenders would make what ever you asked and were very polite and accommodating, the booze was free flowing, no one was cheap. They have a tuck shop with any and every item you may need through out your visit or tacky nick nack you may want to bring back with you. They have a flea market also through out the week with many great items to buy. There's live entertainment nightly and for the most part there are quite a few acts so if one isn't to your liking, there's non-stop acts. Pools close a bit early but, it's probably best so you don't get a sever sunburn and you can just go swim then in the beautiful ocean that is well maintained and attached to the resort and safe.
There's many tours you can take during your visit, there's actually many tour vendors that are very helpful (not aggressive at all) in the basement of the south tower from 8am to 4:30pm. Also, nightly there's a free shuttle to Margarita ville and return from the hotel and with your hotel bracelet you get in free. The phones are annoying to use at the resort, that was my one thing iI disliked but really, if that was the only thing, I'll deal with it. You have to book the morning of and actually go to the customer service desk to book if you want to go to any of the specialty restaurants that night, they won't allow you to book prior. I never had any prob with this and if one wasn't avail I would just go to another and try the next day. I ate at Ginger Lily 2x, it was my fave and the other 2 once and the rest of the time in the big pavilion.
My aunt got a mani and pedi while there and got custom artwork on them and they did an amazing job and was $45 with tip! Although it's all inclusive, a tip goes a long way and it really appreciated and they get to know you a lot better and take better care if you are polite, appreciative and if you give tips. I work in the industry and have to say, I was super nice to everybody and by the 2nd day I was there everyone knew me on a 1st name basis and would go out of there way to help and say hi and chat.
I exchanged money there and it was fine, I used the ATM and it was fine. I hired taxis while I was there and it was fine, I actually made very good fiends with 2 of them and keep in touch via Facebook. I did go off the property and am an attractive women and was alone and was cat called and stared at and was haggled to by things but I was very polite and respectful and said no thank you and was respected and left alone. I did go to 3 clubs with my aunt and new found friend driver and had a blast but wouldn't recommend this to a women alone at night or hanging out downtown alone at night.
I would recommend this hotel for it's over all value, amazing location, activities offered at an additional cost, food quality, beauty, etc. Have fun, Ochos Rios will forever be in my heart.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Escape to the all-inclusive splendor of the legendary 730-room Sunset Jamaica Grande Resort in Ocho Rios with its spectacular variety of amenities, divine dining, spa and stellar location. A beautiful white-sand beach fringes the resort while five lavish pools meander through this beachside complex, featuring waterfalls, plunge pools, Jacuzzis, swaying rope bridge and swim-up bars. Amenities include five restaurants, two beach grills, eight bars, two kids clubs, non-motorized water sports, full-service spa, air-conditioned fitness center, tennis, mini casino, nightly entertainment, disco, shops, business center, conference facilities, weddings and much more. Services abound, offering the ideal getaway for singles, couples, families and groups. The sensational Lighthouse Waterslide opened in April 2007. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Expedia, TripOnline SA and Tingo so you can book your Sunset Jamaica Grande Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sunset Jamaica Grande Ocho Rios
- Sunset Jamaica Grande Resort Spa
- Sunset Jamaica Grand Resort
- Sunset Grande Jamaica
- Sunset Jamaica Grande Hotel
- Jamaica Grande Hotel
- Sunset Jamaica Grande Resort Ocho Rios