“Fabulous” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #15 of 39 hotels in Ocho Rios
Fredericton, New Brunswick, Canada
“Fabulous”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

Just got home from Jamaica last night and felt compelled to write a review. We had an awesome vacation. The resort is beautiful and and the people more beautitful. Food was delicious. Charmaine who was working at the Italian a la carte (and make sure you book the a la cartes....sooo good) was fantastic. All the staff at this resort are friendly, helpful and enjoyable. Monica was our bartender for a day at swim up bar and she is a gem. Sonia often served us our morning coffee or evening coffee at the buffet and we always looked forward to seeing her as well. This is a great resort if you are looking to experience Jamaica, be entertained or just sit and relax on the beach, take a walk into Ocho Rios and experience some culture, get on a party boat or sit by the pools and waterfalls. The rooms and public areas are kept very clean.

Room Tip: Our room faced the ocean and resort and we loved it

4,554 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,261)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
Tottenham, London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

If your looking to book a holiday and a hotel in Jamaica, then look no further than the Sunset Grande in Ocho Rios. This was my 4 time visit this resort. YES..4 times!

From When you first drive in to the hotel, your suitcases are taken and carry for you to the reception.

From the get go, we were given a room upgrade as returning guests, and a weeks free wifi as well as an invitation to the special returners meal.

The room as always were clean and presentable. The food was a buffet styled breakfast, lunch and dinner which has alot more taste to it than the last time i came.

The entertainment staff were not as good as the first lot i met (kermille, Nicholas, Sacha and Stacy ann i think were their names)...so improvements could be made in this area.

The pool were a lil too cold (even though it was Jamaica), which kina made getting into the pool alot more difficult than it should have been.

The returners meal was:

Starter: Cream of pumpkin with brunoise of vegetable

Second course: Chef's caesar salad

Main course: Chickenroulade stuffed with sweet potato & herb mousse drizzled with honey ginger sauce, roast rack of lamb studded dijon mustard served with mint au jus accompanied by roasted garlic mash potaties

Dessert: Amaretto pineapple bread pudding coconut truffles and oatmeal biscuit

One word...AMAZING!

The service staff were very friendly and helpful and always looking to communicate with the guests.

Special mention for Bomiker, Natasha, Stacey and Gregory.

When you want to go out of the hotel, the town is right on the door step. This means you can visit bars, clubs, the craft market etc without being ripped off with taxi fees because everything is right on the hotels door step.

All in all...this is the hotel to be at if you are going ochi regardless of how cheap in price the other may look.

The only other criticism is that is not clear on how to get the best price booking this hotel. Im still confused as to why booking through my bank is cheaper than booking directly through the hotel.

Despite this a very nice experience, and i shall be back at xmas...if i can find a decent price for that time of the year.

Ajax, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

To summarize the best thing about the resort is that it is excellent value for money.
Not everyone will be pleased with their assigned room.....there are 4 sides to each building so different views. Rooms and all public areas are kept spotlessly clean. Staff for the most part are well trained, friendly, efficient and eager to please. Remember that this is not New York, London or Toronto so some things will be different (if they were not we would probably just stay home), choices in alcohol and food in particular. Generally food is good and plentiful and varied. Some of the negative comments mention weak drinks...please be aware that you get what you ask for...the beer is Jamaican and was once rated as one of the 10 best in the world. Another popular comment seems to be that "we could never find a lounge" there are hundreds of lounges around the property I have never seen a shortage. Day time pool side entertainment is generally loud, evening entertainment is excellent.
There is an obvious need for a map or 3D model of the property, it can take a couple of days to find everything, if you arrive late at night , tiried and hungry...it would be good to know THEN that the North Grill is open until 2.00a.m. (and where to find it).
If you have problems I suggest that you avoid the front desk and deal with Guest Services they are much more efficient and helpfull.
Dunn's River is a must visit, other interesting tours (expensive) might include Mystic Mountain, and Dolphin Cove, further afield Black River and the alligator reserve is enjoyable.
For singles nightime action is probably best at Margaritaville (several special nights..ladies night, one price night, no cover night), more adventurous folks might like the adult entertainment at Shades (go in a group for more fun).
For transportation ask Basil or Patrick.
Time to plan my next trip to the resort.

Room Tip: South tower 9th floor up.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Birmingham, Alabama
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

I stayed at this resort back in Sept 2012 and I enjoyed the service I received. All staff from front desk, bartenders, chefs, waiters/waitresses, lifeguards, nurses, and housekeeeping were excellent and extremely accomodating. The overall appearance of the resort was good and the view of the ocean and exterior of resort was great. My biggest disappoinments of my stay were the random cats on the premises that hung out all around resort and lurked under tables while we dined looking for food, the outdated decor of our room (believe it was north tower), the small plastic drinking glasses from bar (beverages were good, but could have been served in a more appealing way), and the absence of room service. When on vacation I love to sleep in and have breakfast in bed on occasion. Luckily we spent minimal time in room, but I would have enjoyed more comfortable and modern bed linen. Breakfast was our favorite meal, mostly because of the amazing omelet station!!! La Diva had the best food and dining experience! I have made plans to return with hopes that changes will be made to make it an excellent trip instead of just good.

Room Tip: "All rooms are not created equal, choose wisely"!!!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Coquitlam, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

We enjoyed our stay, main reason we picked this location was the Moongoose club, for our 8 year old . The staff was great, switched our room, three times, quite upset, after traveling for so long, no mention of our anniversary, not much for kids to eat, got tired of hot dogs and hamburgers after two weeks. Ate off location, often, and had a unexspected employee, walk into our room, one night, didn't ever find out who it was , missing clothing also. The beach was spectacular, but the one peddle boat, they had was broken, couldn't steer it. Never got fixed or replaced the two weeks we were there. Would give a 3 star rating for the hotel, and a shout out to, the tustee elevator, that skipped floors, Really hate complaining, but paid a mint, for alot, rice and salad , and hot dogs, oh our daughter loved that toast, would never return to Sunset Grande,wouldn't recommend it , would recommend Jamaica , and the people ,

Room Tip: Ask for the manager ,
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

I read a ton of reviews for this resort AFTER I booked and I was a bit nervous. I ended up having a great time and I have no problem recommending this resort for budget conscious travelers. You get what you pay for.

When we got off the plane, it was a quick and easy process finding our Air Canada rep. We waited only a few minutes and our bus was ready. One of the highlights of my trip was the actual bus trip from Montego Bay to Ocho Rios - which takes about an hour and 45 mins. Our bus driver Hudson gave us a guided tour on the way to the resort. He told us all about the island, the landmarks, he stopped for pictures, and gave a really great first impression of Jamaica.

Check in was quick and painless. I'd paid for an ocean front upgraded room and that's what I got. It's not luxurious by any means but the view was amazing, the room had a tv, safe, mini fridge, a/c etc, and met all my needs. One thing I noticed is that unlike Cuba there were no bugs. I didn't see a single bug in our room all week.

The buffet was mediocre. It had some Jamaican food, and some American selections and you could always find something to eat. I'm not a picky eater so it was fine for me. Because we booked with Air Canada, our reservations for the a la carte restaurants were already booked for us, which is a good thing because I saw a lot of disgruntled people at the guest services desk complaining daily that they couldn't get a reservation. They have limited seating, so not everyone will get in. The Italian restaurant La Diva was amazing, the Chinese restaurant was also really good (I knew of some people who just showed up without a reservation and asked if there were any cancellations and got in, so try this if you can).. The South Beach restaurant was mediocre. They had two little grills on the beaches that you could get hamburgers and hotdogs at, and the south beach grill served amazing jerk chicken.

The service was fine. We had a leak in our ceiling which was linked to the a/.c and they sent someone up immediately, so I have no complaints.

The drinks were good - they really went heavy on the booze so if you aren't a big drinker you need to tell them to ease up.

The grounds are nice - lots of pools, hot tubs, beaches. There were plenty of lawn chairs, lots of activities and things going on. Overall it was a fun time.

To address a few complaints: I did also see a few small cats at the buffet, wandering around... maybe 3. I agree this is a little unhygienic but it didn't both me and it wasn't excessive. There were a few bees floating around during dinner, but again, not intolerable. I have read a lot of complaints on here about these small, minor things and I really think it's all in your attitude. For the reasonable price that this resort charges, it's definitely worth it.

Oh one thing I wanted to mention... it's the small things at this resort that bring it down a notch in my opinion. Small things that can be easily fixed, but leave a bad impression. For example, all of the ice machines are broken on every floor, except maybe one. That looks trashy. The pop machine at dinner is mostly empty or if you get a drink, there is no carbonation. Again, small problems that should be addressed.

I would go back definitely. However, if money wasn't an issue, I might roll the dice and see if I could find something a little nicer.

Room Tip: Bring lots of US dollar bills for tipping - even though it says tipping is included in your stay, it...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Brooklyn, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

I stayed at Sunset Jamaica Grande in ocho rios from 1/3-1/9...This is the most fun i had on a vacation. When we first arrived, i must say that the room we were assigned was not up to par. It was filthy we stayed on the north tower. I honestly don't think the room was cleaned prior to our arrival. However, after we complained they immediately changed our room to a much better one. The rooms does need some renovation and should be updated. But what a lot of people need to realize is that this is not a 5 star hotel therefore you wont receive 5 star quality. But the service the employees provided is 5 star. However, it didn't bother us much b/c we didn't spend much time in our rooms being that we were all over the place.The staff at the hotel was very friendly, nice, and helpful. Especially the staff at the buffet and the Bar. Best part of breakfast was the chefs cooking the omelets any way you liked. The bartenders Denroy, Gregory, wade, and camarie made our stay even better. Our drinks were perfect and so was the service they provided. These guys were always smiling and willing to make a drink any way you wanted it. Lunch and dinner was good also. We ate at the Caribbean and Asian restaurant on the resort which was nice also. However, you must book the day before or very early in the morning because it fills up fast. The lady at guest service name sharika (not sure if i spelled it correctly) was also a pleasant to deal with. She is the only person i could speak of because the rest of the people were not as nice or friendly. Entertainment, pools, beaches, and water sports were cool. The resort had many pools in which you could choose from but they closed early which i didn't like. The water slide was also a plus!

During our stay we booked a trip to Mystic Mountain (where we did zip-lining, bob sledding, and a sky tour) and Dolphin Cove. Devon the representative from Mystic Mountain went above and beyond for us. He was so nice and made sure that we would have a good time at mystic mountain. look out for Devon and make sure you book mystic mountain with him he will look out for you. Also Cladyon from dolphin cove was friendly to work with...make sure you book with him also.

Overall our stay was great. I had the time of my life in Jamaica and i will stay at Sunset Jamaica Grande again. The customer service is outstanding!! You will be treated like royalty! The resort is next to everything and the hotel provide a shuttle bus to the club magaritaville which is great also.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the South tower because it has been updated.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ocho Rios
Beach, Pool, Ro...
The Jewel Dunn's River Beach Resort & Spa
Resort hotel, B...
Iberostar Grand Rose Hall

Been to Sunset Jamaica Grande Resort? Share your experiences!