To summarize the best thing about the resort is that it is excellent value for money.
Not everyone will be pleased with their assigned room.....there are 4 sides to each building so different views. Rooms and all public areas are kept spotlessly clean. Staff for the most part are well trained, friendly, efficient and eager to please. Remember that this is not New York, London or Toronto so some things will be different (if they were not we would probably just stay home), choices in alcohol and food in particular. Generally food is good and plentiful and varied. Some of the negative comments mention weak drinks...please be aware that you get what you ask for...the beer is Jamaican and was once rated as one of the 10 best in the world. Another popular comment seems to be that "we could never find a lounge" there are hundreds of lounges around the property I have never seen a shortage. Day time pool side entertainment is generally loud, evening entertainment is excellent.
There is an obvious need for a map or 3D model of the property, it can take a couple of days to find everything, if you arrive late at night , tiried and hungry...it would be good to know THEN that the North Grill is open until 2.00a.m. (and where to find it).
If you have problems I suggest that you avoid the front desk and deal with Guest Services they are much more efficient and helpfull.
Dunn's River is a must visit, other interesting tours (expensive) might include Mystic Mountain, and Dolphin Cove, further afield Black River and the alligator reserve is enjoyable.
For singles nightime action is probably best at Margaritaville (several special nights..ladies night, one price night, no cover night), more adventurous folks might like the adult entertainment at Shades (go in a group for more fun).
For transportation ask Basil or Patrick.
Time to plan my next trip to the resort.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Escape to the all-inclusive splendor of the legendary 730-room Sunset Jamaica Grande Resort in Ocho Rios with its spectacular variety of amenities, divine dining, spa and stellar location. A beautiful white-sand beach fringes the resort while five lavish pools meander through this beachside complex, featuring waterfalls, plunge pools, Jacuzzis, swaying rope bridge and swim-up bars. Amenities include five restaurants, two beach grills, eight bars, two kids clubs, non-motorized water sports, full-service spa, air-conditioned fitness center, tennis, mini casino, nightly entertainment, disco, shops, business center, conference facilities, weddings and much more. Services abound, offering the ideal getaway for singles, couples, families and groups. The sensational Lighthouse Waterslide opened in April 2007. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Despegar.com, TripOnline SA, Expedia and Tingo so you can book your Sunset Jamaica Grande Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sunset Jamaica Grande Ocho Rios
- Sunset Jamaica Grande Resort Spa
- Sunset Jamaica Grand Resort
- Sunset Grande Jamaica
- Sunset Jamaica Grande Hotel
- Jamaica Grande Hotel
- Sunset Jamaica Grande Resort Ocho Rios