“Awesome staff, beautiful beach, crappy hotel,” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Sunset Jamaica Grande Resort

You added Sunset Jamaica Grande Resort to your Saves list
Sunset Jamaica Grande Resort
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   * The resort will be closed until March 2015, when it will reopen as a Palace Resort * | P.O. Box 100, Ocho Rios, Jamaica   |
Ranked #17 of 40 Hotels in Ocho Rios
Coquitlam, Canada
“Awesome staff, beautiful beach, crappy hotel,”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

We enjoyed our stay, main reason we picked this location was the Moongoose club, for our 8 year old . The staff was great, switched our room, three times, quite upset, after traveling for so long, no mention of our anniversary, not much for kids to eat, got tired of hot dogs and hamburgers after two weeks. Ate off location, often, and had a unexspected employee, walk into our room, one night, didn't ever find out who it was , missing clothing also. The beach was spectacular, but the one peddle boat, they had was broken, couldn't steer it. Never got fixed or replaced the two weeks we were there. Would give a 3 star rating for the hotel, and a shout out to, the tustee elevator, that skipped floors, Really hate complaining, but paid a mint, for alot, rice and salad , and hot dogs, oh our daughter loved that toast, would never return to Sunset Grande,wouldn't recommend it , would recommend Jamaica , and the people ,

Room Tip: Ask for the manager ,
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,306)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

I read a ton of reviews for this resort AFTER I booked and I was a bit nervous. I ended up having a great time and I have no problem recommending this resort for budget conscious travelers. You get what you pay for.

When we got off the plane, it was a quick and easy process finding our Air Canada rep. We waited only a few minutes and our bus was ready. One of the highlights of my trip was the actual bus trip from Montego Bay to Ocho Rios - which takes about an hour and 45 mins. Our bus driver Hudson gave us a guided tour on the way to the resort. He told us all about the island, the landmarks, he stopped for pictures, and gave a really great first impression of Jamaica.

Check in was quick and painless. I'd paid for an ocean front upgraded room and that's what I got. It's not luxurious by any means but the view was amazing, the room had a tv, safe, mini fridge, a/c etc, and met all my needs. One thing I noticed is that unlike Cuba there were no bugs. I didn't see a single bug in our room all week.

The buffet was mediocre. It had some Jamaican food, and some American selections and you could always find something to eat. I'm not a picky eater so it was fine for me. Because we booked with Air Canada, our reservations for the a la carte restaurants were already booked for us, which is a good thing because I saw a lot of disgruntled people at the guest services desk complaining daily that they couldn't get a reservation. They have limited seating, so not everyone will get in. The Italian restaurant La Diva was amazing, the Chinese restaurant was also really good (I knew of some people who just showed up without a reservation and asked if there were any cancellations and got in, so try this if you can).. The South Beach restaurant was mediocre. They had two little grills on the beaches that you could get hamburgers and hotdogs at, and the south beach grill served amazing jerk chicken.

The service was fine. We had a leak in our ceiling which was linked to the a/.c and they sent someone up immediately, so I have no complaints.

The drinks were good - they really went heavy on the booze so if you aren't a big drinker you need to tell them to ease up.

The grounds are nice - lots of pools, hot tubs, beaches. There were plenty of lawn chairs, lots of activities and things going on. Overall it was a fun time.

To address a few complaints: I did also see a few small cats at the buffet, wandering around... maybe 3. I agree this is a little unhygienic but it didn't both me and it wasn't excessive. There were a few bees floating around during dinner, but again, not intolerable. I have read a lot of complaints on here about these small, minor things and I really think it's all in your attitude. For the reasonable price that this resort charges, it's definitely worth it.

Oh one thing I wanted to mention... it's the small things at this resort that bring it down a notch in my opinion. Small things that can be easily fixed, but leave a bad impression. For example, all of the ice machines are broken on every floor, except maybe one. That looks trashy. The pop machine at dinner is mostly empty or if you get a drink, there is no carbonation. Again, small problems that should be addressed.

I would go back definitely. However, if money wasn't an issue, I might roll the dice and see if I could find something a little nicer.

Room Tip: Bring lots of US dollar bills for tipping - even though it says tipping is included in your stay, it...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Brooklyn, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

I stayed at Sunset Jamaica Grande in ocho rios from 1/3-1/9...This is the most fun i had on a vacation. When we first arrived, i must say that the room we were assigned was not up to par. It was filthy we stayed on the north tower. I honestly don't think the room was cleaned prior to our arrival. However, after we complained they immediately changed our room to a much better one. The rooms does need some renovation and should be updated. But what a lot of people need to realize is that this is not a 5 star hotel therefore you wont receive 5 star quality. But the service the employees provided is 5 star. However, it didn't bother us much b/c we didn't spend much time in our rooms being that we were all over the place.The staff at the hotel was very friendly, nice, and helpful. Especially the staff at the buffet and the Bar. Best part of breakfast was the chefs cooking the omelets any way you liked. The bartenders Denroy, Gregory, wade, and camarie made our stay even better. Our drinks were perfect and so was the service they provided. These guys were always smiling and willing to make a drink any way you wanted it. Lunch and dinner was good also. We ate at the Caribbean and Asian restaurant on the resort which was nice also. However, you must book the day before or very early in the morning because it fills up fast. The lady at guest service name sharika (not sure if i spelled it correctly) was also a pleasant to deal with. She is the only person i could speak of because the rest of the people were not as nice or friendly. Entertainment, pools, beaches, and water sports were cool. The resort had many pools in which you could choose from but they closed early which i didn't like. The water slide was also a plus!

During our stay we booked a trip to Mystic Mountain (where we did zip-lining, bob sledding, and a sky tour) and Dolphin Cove. Devon the representative from Mystic Mountain went above and beyond for us. He was so nice and made sure that we would have a good time at mystic mountain. look out for Devon and make sure you book mystic mountain with him he will look out for you. Also Cladyon from dolphin cove was friendly to work with...make sure you book with him also.

Overall our stay was great. I had the time of my life in Jamaica and i will stay at Sunset Jamaica Grande again. The customer service is outstanding!! You will be treated like royalty! The resort is next to everything and the hotel provide a shuttle bus to the club magaritaville which is great also.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the South tower because it has been updated.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

One word to describe this resort....AMAZING!

We were a bunch of girls celebrating the end of our bachelor degree. The food & drinks were very good.

The hotel amenities were top notch and they had everything you needed!

Do not forget to reserve your a la carte restaurants! I went to the Italian & chinese one. Both were great and everyone there made you feel at home!

The staff are amazing & nice. The location of this resort is very good since it is in the middle of everything.

Impressive pool, the water slides were insane and made me feel like a kid again!

You get what you pay for..we travelled in May 2012 and only ended up paying 805$ for this resort!

Shoutout to Alexander & Kofi.

Will def be back again next time I decide to go to ocho rios!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

We stayed January 6-13, our arrival time was 8am so our room was not ready until 3pm which kinda sucked but that goes for every hotel I have been to. The lobby is very nice and sets you up for a high expectation, the rooms are not great but for what we paid we didn't mind, all we did was bathe and sleep in them and with that said there were no bugs/ants or creepy things and it really wasn't that bad overall, even the beds were fine.
The pools were very clean and my son played in them every day. It was easy to get drinks with only one or two people in front of you. The Entertainment staff work extremely hard, starting in the afternoon getting the visitors involved and straight through to the evening shows.
Food was okay at the buffet, as with any hotel it tires easily, we booked 4 restaurants, South Beach (Caribbean) twice, La Diva (Italian) once and the Terrace (mix of 3 restaurants menus) once. All 3 were phenomenal from the service to the food it was a real treat. Other than that we ventured into town for food at the Jerk Hut and Moms restaurant - love these!!
The best part about this hotel is the location, assuming you like to venture out it's nice to be able to walk and boom you are in the heart of Ochi. Last time I stayed at the Riu it was a 15 minute cab and constant spending. Because it is so close, and affordable I'm sure, there are many locals that bring their families from all over Jamaica to stay for the weekend. I loved that about this place.
We will be back next year for sure, it was definitely a value, but even though I've stated at the Riu which is a 4.5 star I would still chose SJG due to the ammenities. If you are looking for more upscale and quieter place then the Riu is beautiful and maybe 800 more per person.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Powell River, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

We were quite disappointed with Sunset Jamaica Grande. The most disappointing thing was the food. They advertise 5 restaurants, but only 2 were open each night. Reservations for restaurants needed to be done the day prior, and were always full in the first 1/2 hour. Very disappointing. Room was dirty and tired, alot of water damage, and mold throughout the hotel. It was also very dirty on the grounds as there were cigartette butts all over the grounds, drinking glasses and straws in the pools and ocean. Definately would be more helpful to have more astrays and garbage cans around. Also, if you have children who want to go on the waterslide, they must be 4 feet tall. Unfortunately our children couldn't go as they were inches too short even though they could swim.
I would definately rate this hotel a 2 star instead of a 4 star. We made the best of our vacation, but defiantely will not go back to this resort.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

After a very long drive (over an hour) to the hotel from Montego Bay airport we finally got to the hotel. From the outside it looks very impressive with the pools, amazing clear ocean and big water slides. Everyone was very nice but I was a little disappointed with the hotel amenities (but you do get the value for what you pay--we got a very good deal so no major complaints). The only thing I can complain about is that our water was not running for about 4 hours one night and it took forever for anyone to help us or get it fixed. The water would also run on just cold for some of my showers in the evenings and I fell asleep by the time anyone came to fix it! though we were on the south side (the main hotel building) and apparently the other ones have been recently renovated.

But the pools (multiple) were all clean and lovely. The beach was amazing with the clearest blue water. Only bad thing there is that it is a very shallow harbor beach so no waves and it doesn't get any more than neck deep. Good to relax in though and get out of the heat. The sunsets from there are AMAZING.

I had little complains about the food at the resort. My faves were the jerk chicken station and the cheeseburgers at the snack bar (though there is a bit of a line for them sometimes). The buffet food can get a bit repetitive sometimes but that is to be expected. They have a wide selection of american and foreign foods. One night they had a special dinner (I think it was because it was a Saturday night) with a band and everything was so delicious. The chocolate pie is not to be missed. The a la carts are not bad. Very good service.

The best part of the hotel is location. Even though it is an hour from the airport, it is so close to everything else from there. There are shops and a little market right outside the hotel and my friend and I (2 girls in our 20s) felt completely safe walking there during the day to do some shopping. You just have to be ok with a lot of people harassing you about coming into their shops but if you say no they are pretty good at backing off. Alcohol is cheaper there. We were also 5 minutes from Dunn's River Falls which is a MUST SEE in Jamaica. We did the Cool Runnings Cruise and it was a great day. We were also very close to White River where we did a bamboo raft. It was great, the water is so clear and you are in the middle of the forest.

The hotel is also very close to the nightlife. It is $2 round trip taxi ride to all the clubs and there are different ones that are popular on different nights. The best taxi driver is Lance so try and ask for him at the hotel.

Room Tip: South Building (main building) is closer to most things but older and the water will run out whereas...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Sunset Jamaica Grande Resort? Share your experiences!