I read a ton of reviews for this resort AFTER I booked and I was a bit nervous. I ended up having a great time and I have no problem recommending this resort for budget conscious travelers. You get what you pay for.
When we got off the plane, it was a quick and easy process finding our Air Canada rep. We waited only a few minutes and our bus was ready. One of the highlights of my trip was the actual bus trip from Montego Bay to Ocho Rios - which takes about an hour and 45 mins. Our bus driver Hudson gave us a guided tour on the way to the resort. He told us all about the island, the landmarks, he stopped for pictures, and gave a really great first impression of Jamaica.
Check in was quick and painless. I'd paid for an ocean front upgraded room and that's what I got. It's not luxurious by any means but the view was amazing, the room had a tv, safe, mini fridge, a/c etc, and met all my needs. One thing I noticed is that unlike Cuba there were no bugs. I didn't see a single bug in our room all week.
The buffet was mediocre. It had some Jamaican food, and some American selections and you could always find something to eat. I'm not a picky eater so it was fine for me. Because we booked with Air Canada, our reservations for the a la carte restaurants were already booked for us, which is a good thing because I saw a lot of disgruntled people at the guest services desk complaining daily that they couldn't get a reservation. They have limited seating, so not everyone will get in. The Italian restaurant La Diva was amazing, the Chinese restaurant was also really good (I knew of some people who just showed up without a reservation and asked if there were any cancellations and got in, so try this if you can).. The South Beach restaurant was mediocre. They had two little grills on the beaches that you could get hamburgers and hotdogs at, and the south beach grill served amazing jerk chicken.
The service was fine. We had a leak in our ceiling which was linked to the a/.c and they sent someone up immediately, so I have no complaints.
The drinks were good - they really went heavy on the booze so if you aren't a big drinker you need to tell them to ease up.
The grounds are nice - lots of pools, hot tubs, beaches. There were plenty of lawn chairs, lots of activities and things going on. Overall it was a fun time.
To address a few complaints: I did also see a few small cats at the buffet, wandering around... maybe 3. I agree this is a little unhygienic but it didn't both me and it wasn't excessive. There were a few bees floating around during dinner, but again, not intolerable. I have read a lot of complaints on here about these small, minor things and I really think it's all in your attitude. For the reasonable price that this resort charges, it's definitely worth it.
Oh one thing I wanted to mention... it's the small things at this resort that bring it down a notch in my opinion. Small things that can be easily fixed, but leave a bad impression. For example, all of the ice machines are broken on every floor, except maybe one. That looks trashy. The pop machine at dinner is mostly empty or if you get a drink, there is no carbonation. Again, small problems that should be addressed.
I would go back definitely. However, if money wasn't an issue, I might roll the dice and see if I could find something a little nicer.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Escape to the all-inclusive splendor of the legendary 730-room Sunset Jamaica Grande Resort in Ocho Rios with its spectacular variety of amenities, divine dining, spa and stellar location. A beautiful white-sand beach fringes the resort while five lavish pools meander through this beachside complex, featuring waterfalls, plunge pools, Jacuzzis, swaying rope bridge and swim-up bars. Amenities include five restaurants, two beach grills, eight bars, two kids clubs, non-motorized water sports, full-service spa, air-conditioned fitness center, tennis, mini casino, nightly entertainment, disco, shops, business center, conference facilities, weddings and much more. Services abound, offering the ideal getaway for singles, couples, families and groups. The sensational Lighthouse Waterslide opened in April 2007. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Hotels.com and Orbitz so you can book your Sunset Jamaica Grande Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sunset Jamaica Grande Ocho Rios
- Sunset Jamaica Grande Resort Spa
- Sunset Jamaica Grand Resort
- Sunset Grande Jamaica
- Sunset Jamaica Grande Hotel
- Jamaica Grande Hotel
- Sunset Jamaica Grande Resort Ocho Rios