We spent 5 days at the Sunset Grande for a conference.
Let me start with the positives, the conference rooms were good and the breakout rooms were all close by. The beach is great and the water is very clean and clear. The pools are also good and the snorkelling was better than I expected.
Now the not so good parts. Our first room had a broken lock and was not a renovated room, you must ask (pay) for a renovated room. The final room we had was good and clean and was renovated, we stayed in room 1028 in the South Tower, it was right at the end and overlooked the lagoon. You need to ensure you are not on the 3rd floor as the roof of the dinning room is right outside your balcony and you can't see the views well.
The food at the buffet was average at best. The Italian restaurant was a bit better but again not something to rave about. You need to book the restaurants 2 days in advance as no one told us this. If you want to eat at one of the restaurants at short notice then I suggest you ask (pay) the people at the restaurant itself as they say they are fully booked but that was not the case.
The Internet access is poor, there is only access in the main lobby and the North Tower lobby, it is also slow. The business centre has computers that you can access the Internet but not with your own machine or pad. Some rooms have internet with and ethernet cable (no wifi) but you have to ask for that in your room specifically. The printer in Te business centre is broken and the fax and phone do not work.
You can only get bottled water from the gift shop and that is only open during business hours. The gift shop will only take credit cards for purchases over US$10.00 otherwise it is cash.
We lost water to the whole South Tower one afternoon and no one could shower until later that night, not good when you are at a conference and need to dress for dinner.
The bus ride from Montego Bay can take up to 2 hours as they will stop at other resorts on the way, regardless it is more than an hours drive to the resort.
In summary the resort is old and tired and needs a comprehensive makeover. If you go here then just be aware of the things listed above and at least you will be prepared.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Escape to the all-inclusive splendor of the legendary 730-room Sunset Jamaica Grande Resort in Ocho Rios with its spectacular variety of amenities, divine dining, spa and stellar location. A beautiful white-sand beach fringes the resort while five lavish pools meander through this beachside complex, featuring waterfalls, plunge pools, Jacuzzis, swaying rope bridge and swim-up bars. Amenities include five restaurants, two beach grills, eight bars, two kids clubs, non-motorized water sports, full-service spa, air-conditioned fitness center, tennis, mini casino, nightly entertainment, disco, shops, business center, conference facilities, weddings and much more. Services abound, offering the ideal getaway for singles, couples, families and groups. The sensational Lighthouse Waterslide opened in April 2007. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Caribbean Online Mgt Corp. so you can book your Sunset Jamaica Grande Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sunset Jamaica Grande Ocho Rios
- Sunset Jamaica Grande Resort Spa
- Sunset Jamaica Grand Resort
- Sunset Grande Jamaica
- Sunset Jamaica Grande Hotel
- Jamaica Grande Hotel
- Sunset Jamaica Grande Resort Ocho Rios