“Fantastic Hotel !!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #15 of 39 hotels in Ocho Rios
Norwich
“Fantastic Hotel !!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2007

We have just arrived back from Sunset and what a great time we had!
My husband a I were celebrating our first wedding anniversary and our friends were on there honey moon, we left the kids with the grandparents as we were looking for a relaxing break, and that is exactly what we got.
After a few hiccups before we left the UK (we should have been staying at Sunset Mo Bay but we were changed due to the over run of renervations) we arrived at the hotel and we were immediatley impressed with the Lobby area it was lovely the staff were very helpful and friendly and they showed us to our beach front Cabana rooms which I would strongly recommend, they were very nice and the view was great.
The pool areas were lovely and clean and there was plenty to keep you occupied if desired.
The South beach was also very nice and where we spent most of our time. There is also a beach on the North side which was quite a stoney beach but nice all the same!
Although we did not take the kids with us I know that my kids (9 & 5) would have loved it there and there was definatley plenty going on for them. There was nightly entertainment but we did not really bother with it.
The food was very good too and there was no room for complaint even from a fussy eater like myself there was just such a wide variety. I would also recommend the Ginger Lily restaurant and La Diva they were superb!
Before we left we had a look at the reviews on here and we braced ourselves for dissapointment but definatly not!!
As for excursions these were much cheaper when booked through the hotel and swimming with the dolphins is a must it was amazing!!
We are not in the habit of visiting the same place but if we were to return to Ohco Rios I would certainly be happy to stay here again!

• Liked — pools and beach were great
  • Disliked — N/A
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

4,541 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,254)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
Iowa
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2007

Our first choice was to stay at the Breezes in Runaway Bay. My husband and I got married there 5 yrs ago and that was one reason for our return trip, the second reason was my son and his wife wanted to experience Jamaica. Breezes was booked so the Travel Agent recommended the Sunset Grande. I read some reviews but nothing that could have possible lead me to write such a review. We had been to Jamaica 5 other times and this was the worst hotel. I paid extra for the Cabana rooms, as outlined on their web site these are to be superb rooms, oceanview, WRONG!! Ig these rooms were superb I would hate to think what the worse room looked like. The first room that they put us in rooms, 104 and 105, when you looked out the patio window there was a building!! No ocean view. I complained and they put my son and his wife in 210 which had a nice view. They showed my husband and I room 112 which had a partial view of the ocean which was obstructed by the gazebo that they hold weddings in. They told us that it would take a half hour to clean that room, which when we first arrived we had to wait 45 min. We waited and waited after two hours we got into the room. All the time going and asking how much longer they would say just a little bit longer. The next horrible thing was one day my husband and I were walking back to our room just starting down the corridor and my husband stopped and said what is that running, it was a mouse! Sorry, but of all the places I have been Jamaica 5 times and Punta Cana never had seen mice or even roaches, I screamed and the maid came out of a room and the mouse started running back towards us and ran into her dust pan. A maintenance guy came from somewhere and she told him where the mouse was he took a plastic bag off her cart and put the mouse in it and then right in front of us put the bag on the floor and stomped on it!! Why would you do this in front of guests!! The hotel needs a lot of improvements. It rained a couple of days and they ran out of liquor, had pails and buckets all over the main lobby could barely walk through. The servers in the main restuarant were rude and the people at the front desk. The bartenders were excellent! They have laundry facilites don't do it! They charge you an arm and a leg!! You have to go to the gift shop and buy a box of detergent for $1.00 which is enough for one load. Then you have to buy tokens, $5.00 for one token so $10.00 to wash and dry one load. The dryers said $.50 cents on them. I would not recommend this hotel. Pay extra and stay at a nicer place and do your homework!! On or bus ride back to the airport everyone was complaining about the hotel. Don't stay !!!!!!

• Liked — The location
  • Disliked — not all a 3 - 4 star hotel more like a 1
Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2007

We initially reserved a place at the Sunset Montego Bay, but were informed a week before departure that we would be transferred to Sunset Grande due to ongoing renovations.

As we were traveling with a 2 year old, the ride from the airport to the resort was quite painful, and once we got to the resort we were told by the friendly receptionist, that we would have to wait about an hour for our room (which was upgraded, their compliments). No problem, we went to get some lunch, and explore the resort.

Our room was clean, tidy, but certainly not spacious. It had a nice view of the pools and the ocean. AC worked properly.

Positives:
-- Staff overwhelmingly congenial and polite, very good with children
-- Jerk Chicken at the grill... went for it more than once a day
-- I felt a Jamaican vibe at the resort... though I do understand
that it is not the "real Jamaica"
-- enough things to do even on a rainy day, can easily explore
town on foot
-- close to Dunn's River Falls
-- specialty restaurants were actually pretty good
-- buffet breakfast was also very good
-- very diverse clientele

Negatives:
-- elevators can take forever
-- did not have a problem with towels, but maid did not clean
room until late afternoon

Would I go back? Likely not, just because we like to try out different locations/resorts. We definitely had a great vacation, though... keep a positive attitude and you will be fine!!

• Liked — Clean, simple, good view
  • Disliked — Maid service somewhat random
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
so. California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2007

Just returned from a 7 night stay 11/18 - 11/25 at Sunset Jamaica Grande. We are a family of 4, kids are 8/10.

After a terrible red eye that was 2.5 hours delayed, we arrived in Montego Bay. Through customs without problem and received our luggage quickly. Walked through our first Jamaican gauntlet to find our "private" transfers arranged through Costco. Turns out our "private" transfers were with 6 other people in a bus! No problem mon, when in JA, enjoy it! The tour began with the driver pointing out all sorts of sites and was very friendly.

Arrived at the hotel after an ENJOYABLE drive (don't know why everyone complains???), checked in at the desk. Had our request of our room but of course was not ready yet. No problem, went to guest services, signed up for dinner resservations at La Diva and the Chinese restaraunt. Changed and played in the pools, both waterslides, and beach. Ate at the grill while family ate at buffet. I found buffet not very enjoyable and prefered the jerk chicken and fries at the grill. Was able to check in around 3pm.

Never once in 7 days were we able to get 4 sets of towels for the 4 of us. Even after tipping and asking maid, leaving notes, etc. Always piece meal and we finally started giving up. What we did was exchange our pool towels for clean, dry ones, and use those for our showers each evening. Only solution we found. Room is very basic, bathroom has no fan, soap they provide is a joke (bring your own bar), water was never HOT, only luke warm at best. One dresser w/ 4 drawers and we brought 10 extra hangers with us. Tile floor shows the lack of perfection. :(
TV picks up a south FL satellite and kids were happy with Disney channel and Cartoon Network. NBC, CBS, and ABC were all on as well. Football on in lobby bar so guys, no worries!

La Diva was our favorite and I found the portion size to be perfect. Chinese was my least favorite - not even to Panda Express standards. South Beach was only available/open 1 out of our 7 nights and I found it to be lacking in flavor... (not to mention blender made drinks) "House" wine in each restaraunt was not the best for sure, but the Red Stripe was tasty! I don't think Jamaica is known for their desserts. Which is good for the dieters! :)

Kids club was open 9-5 and would take the kids swimming and feed them lunch. Then open again around 7-8:30 for disco night or reggae dance lessons. Our kids enjoyed the few times we took them and the women that worked there were wonderful. Very loving and I was 100% comfortable.

There was noise every single night and would go until 1am most nights. Which was ridiculous. We were in the south tower on the 14th floor. I had heard about noise in North tower, but in south too? I felt sorry for families with kids that needed to sleep! Elevators were an issue in the south tower. Towards the end of the trip, 1 out of the 3 elevators was broken. We were able to get elevators fairly quickly going down each day, but we would stop at about 7 floors making the trip a bit long and hot (the light bulbs in the elevator made it very hot, along with 12 people or so crammed in there!)

We met another family of 4 there and it was impossible to get tables for 8 people except for in the chinese restaraunt. Even for breakfast or lunch at the buffet, it was hard as there were only maybe 8 tables for 10 and were always full.

We took 3 different day trips with Lee's tours and were 100% satisfied with their service! Norma, Lee, and Richard were fabulous! We went to Dunn's, Coyoba, Walker Woods, White river tubing, and NineMile/Bob Marley. Had a fabulous time.

Pools, beaches, and common areas were all clean and inviting looking. My daughter along with a teen boy were stung by jellyfish on the North beach by the water trampoline. That beach in the water is quite rocky. Everyone got bit by mosquitos, despite the repellent we used. Overcast most days so weather was pleasant, almost a bit too cool for swimming but we suffered through it! Beware though because people were sunburned all over the place. The rays still come through the clouds people!

We loved the location, walking into town several times and ate at John Crows (awesome jerk wings) and Margaritaville. We were NOT harrassed any worse than any Mexico port we've been in. In fact, we were bugged LESS than in Mexico. Never once did I feel in jeopardy. We had patties at Mothers, shopped and bought all our spices, bottled water, and Hagen Daz ice cream at a local grocery store to the right of the hotel, right past the craft market. VERY reasonable prices and got to see some local unique items!

Any ?s, don't hesitate to ask. We enjoyed ourselves very much despite the few bumps in the road. I LOVED how lush, green, and beautiful Jamaica was.

• Liked — location, view, pools
  • Disliked — food, noise, towels/hot water
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2007

We had originally booked at Sunset Beach in Montego Bay but they were closed for reno's. The bus ride was long.
Check in was HORRIBLE, I have never been treated so rudely in my life, it took about 3 hours all in total to get the room, however not the one we paid for. I gave up waiting and accepted what they offered - with no refund.
But at least ended up in the South tower, that room was much nicer than the ones in the North tower.
The resort was really nice and clean, the pools were nice. I thought my husband was going to bust right through the water slide, they were fast and fun.
The beach was raked every day, but the water was very dirty looking. You couldn't see 1 foot into the water. They let you use snorkely equipment, and when we asked the guy if we could use it he asked us why we wanted to. He said "look at the water you're not going to see anything mon" haha he was right!!
The food was GREAT!!!! I LOVED all the restaurants, the people in the resaurants were really nice. The people in the buffet not so nice. The people behind the bars were quite rude and that upset me a little. Except for the guys at the lobby bar, I loved them. They were having a good time, or at least doing a good job of acting!
The wedding was really pretty. There was A LOT of confusion and extra charges that the bride and groom didn't know about, however I won't go into detail because I'm not sure where the communiton lacked - between the bride and groom, the travel agent or the resort. However, it is a beautiful location for a wedding if you have to bring kids.
Oh - and what was really nice was there was always chairs available by the beach and pools, this was a nice change since places I've been to before you have to be up at the crack of dawn or pay someone to save you one.
AND I almost forgot two hot tubs that the group I was with spent a lot of time in, They were REALLY hot but sooo nice, some of the people in our party were up very very late making lots of noise and nobdy came to quiet them. Good for them, not for the families who were trying to sleep.

Stayed November 2007
Rock Hill, South Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2007

Originally my family and 13 others booked Sunset Montego Bay for the waterpark and the close proximity to the airport. We had booked SMB back in February for our Thanksgiving vacation. The Monday before our trip I found out only by TRIPADVISOR reviews that they were relocating families to SJG.

BUS RIDE: Is the longest 2 hours or more depending on how many other resorts they stop at. Our bus had no room for our luggage underneath so they had to stack the luggage behind my sisters seat in the back of the bus.

CHECK IN: They only had 2 people checking in guests. When it got to my families turn, they didnt have us all together as requested months ago in an email to SMB and then another email sent to SJG. They had my family in the North tower and the others in the South tower. All of us that had paid for Oceanfront rooms were not given OF because they had no more. They told us they could put us into the South tower on Sunday. That in it self was a fiasco. In end none of us got the room category that we paid for and were told by the operations manager that we would have to take it up with our travel agent because they dont give refunds or accomodate for things in that nature.

RESORT: The resort itself was very nice. The main parts of the resorts were always clean. The open air lobby was very nice. All of the bars were accomodating to your liking of drinks. Sammy at the pool bar hooked my husband up everyday with a Sammie special. They definatly didnt slack on the alcohol and if they did ask for more and they would give it to you.

WATERPARK: The resort had alot of pools to choose from and the lighthouse slides were good. If you have little kids under 48 inches they will not let them slide down the slides which was a disapointment for my nephew who was 4. All of the kids had their hearts set on the Montego Bay waterpark which has a lazy river and the slides looked more entertaining.

RESTAURANTS: I would say if you decide to go to this resort book your restaurants in advance. ALL OF the sit down reservation restaurants were great the best was LA DIVA, then GINGER LILY and South Beach Grill. The kids loved the grills on the south and north side of the beach. They had American favorites, burgers, fries ,grill cheese , Chicken sandwiches etc. My husband even went there for dinner one night because the buffet had nothing good to choose from. The buffet was your typical buffet. Same basic choices everyday for Breakfast,Lunch and Dinner. It got boring after a few days. Veronica during breakfast and Lunch was a great server otherwise the service at the buffet was next to none. She served on the south side of the buffet.

ROOMS: If you do decide to go to this resort the SOUTH tower are the nicest rooms. Our first room in the North tower had paint peeling off the walls in the bathroom and it was old and outdated. I stayed at a chain hotel before leaving on the 11/17 that blew the room that we stayed in all week away.

ROOM SERVICE: Don't count on bath towels everyday and my sisters room didnt even get cleaned one day. I had to make several calls to housekeeping to get bath towels.

ELEVATORS: The elevators in the South Tower kept getting stuck at one time it was out of order.

CUSTOMER SERVICE: This was the worst part of our vacation. For a resort being so large, the organization was not there. In this day and age of computers they should know who is checking in/out and what their room category is and have those rooms blocked off. It seemed like they just put people in rooms regardless of their room category. It could of been the time of year but regardless this is not the first year they are open they should expect the rushes.

Good luck and happy travels.

• Liked — The open air lobby
  • Disliked — Customer service
Long Island, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2007

Reviewer: WithaK from Long Island, New York
Just returned from a week at Sunset Jamaica Grande. We Booked this vacation in February 07. Six families total. We were relocated to this sister property as a result of the ongoing renovation at Sunset Beach Montego Bay. Needless to say, the relocation resulted in a 2 hour bus ride and three stops (primary reason why we booked a resort in Montego Bay ) Upon arrival at 7pm, check in was extremely slow (even by Jamaican standards). Once checked-in, I personally arrived at my room to find the door mechanism completely dismantled and lying on the hall floor, door ajar. It was 8pm and back to the front desk I went. OK a second room...good the kids are hungry and it's been a long day. Problem, the second room had only one bed and we were three. Furthermore it was not Oceanfront as paid for. To the front desk a third time only to be "promised" that I and the other 2 families in my party who also had incorrect room categories would be changed first thing the next morning. Hey were in Jamaica... What's the saying? NO PROBLEM MON. We sucked it up because we were advised that first thing Sunday morning we would be changed to the appropriate rooms. Well needless to say, promises were not kept and only after great persistence on our part were we at least given two rooms with two double beds " Yeah I didnt have to sleep with 2 teenagers for the remainder of my vacation" Unfortunately, none of us got the oceanfront rooms we paid for.
The Cust Serv Mngr made promises that she couldn't keep. and the Operations Mngr ws no better and had an "oh well" attitude.
NEGATIVES: Getting room towels was difficult waited one day until 11pm another until 6pm. Had to use pool towel cards for towels poolside and if you did not return the cards at checkout there was a $15 charge for each card. (So keep your eye on your towels) The buffet was mediocre at best and basically had the same things every meal and the staff were not too friendly. Bar drinks were served in 7 oz plastic cups everywhere except the specialty restaurants ( So bring your own cups) Oh yeah... the elevators are very sloooow...expect to wait.
POSITIVES: The common areas, pools and grounds of the resort are beautiful. The specialty restaurants were all nice and the food very good as was their waitstaff . Just be sure to make your reservations as soon as you arrive. The fitness center and spa were both very good and security was visible in common areas. You can buy a prepaid phone card at the resort for $10USD that gets you over an hour of talk time and only a 30 cent connection charge for each call thru the hotel operator.
Excursions are cheaper if you go direct. We hired a van that fit 13 (found the guy on main street and made arrangements for him to pick us up at 1030a the next day) The driver agreed to take us to Dunn's River Falls, wait for us and return us to the Hotel for $2 a person rountrip. We actually gave him $5 p/p and he showed us around Ocho Rios for an hour plus before taking us to the Falls, waited and returned us to the resort. Dunns River was $15 per adult, $12 per child. You need water shoes or can rent them there for $5 and expect to throw the guide a small tip. It was a great few hours. If you like to sample food try the Jerk Centre (walkable) and Beef Patties from Juici's just left of the resort on the main street also walkable.
Ironically, we visited this location 9 years ago when it was under the Jamaica Renaissance Grande ownership and the staff and service not to mention the buffet and theme nights were all so much better then. Unless they change ownership in the future, don't think I would make a repeat visit.

• Liked — The property, pools and common areas were all beautiful
  • Disliked — Overall lack of interest and friendliness of the staff, Buffet.
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Sunset Jamaica Grande Resort? Share your experiences!