“Nothing fancy but still nice” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Rooms Ocho Rios

Save Saved
You added Rooms Ocho Rios to your Saves list
Rooms Ocho Rios
2.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Ocho Rios Beach | Main st., Ocho Rios, Jamaica   |
Ranked #19 of 39 hotels in Ocho Rios
Big River, SK, Canada
“Nothing fancy but still nice”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2011

We stayed at Rooms for one week in early November. We arrived early in the morning and were unable to check in to our rooms. The staff was very adamant that we not check in until 'check-in time.' This was an inconvenience but somewhat understandable. We were able to leave our bags behind the front desk until we got into our room.
The staff were all very friendly. Some were a little shy but still very friendly and helpful. The lifeguards were especially helpful, even checking to make sure we were ok when being approached by the beach vendors.
The continental breakfast - which we renamed the 'Rooms Carb Special' was good but consisted of 2 pieces of toast, 2 pieces of sweet bread, and a muffin (more like a cupcake). It was surprising to not have fruit included but it could be ordered. We ate a few meals at the hotel restaurant; the prices for all meals were reasonable and the food was good for the most part. Warning when ordering sausages at breakfast, they can only be described as pink hot dogs - not good.
The rooms are basic but were clean. We had a Junior Suite, 3rd floor. We thought it was great; we turned the couch around, opened the windows and enjoyed the beautiful view. The beds were comfortable enough. There was a safe in the room which was nice for keeping valuables in while out of the room, you can set your own combination. The days we left a tip for the maid, our room either didn't seem as clean or didn't get completed - no towels one day so we stopped leaving a tip and had better service. The water was finicky - usually hotels don't have hot water, this one had no cold or at least it took a lot of adjusting the taps to get an even temperature. Certain times of the day were worse than others as well.
We felt very safe in our room as well as out by the pool or bar.
We found out our second last day that there are fridges available to rent - it is not advertised but if you ask they are available for additional charge.
The location is great - close to restaurants and shopping - you just need to get through the cab drivers offering you anything and everything to get on to the street.
I would recommend this hotel to someone who does not expect something fancy and understands that this is not a 5 star hotel in any way. It is clean, safe, and friendly - these are the things that are important to me on a vacation. There is not a lot to do at the hotel other than hang out on the beach (can't beat the location) so it is best if you just want a good place to sleep. I would stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple

565 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
london, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2011

Just got back after spending a week there with my family, the rooms are clean and reasonable but its the first hotel ive ever stayed in with no fridge. The beach staff are very pleasant and helpful which is more than I can say for the staff in the dining area. You would rarely find someone actually eating lunch or dinner there. Their cont.inental breakfast consisted of cornflakes/branflakes and toast which was always missing either jam, butter and bugs were found in the bread. If you ask for tea/coffee the staff always made you feel like you were putting them to a lot of trouble The phrase "no problem" clearly does not apply to them. The locals can be a pain constantly hassling you as soon as you step out, they do not seem to understand the word no and they want you to pay them for telling you how to get to a place you were going anyway

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
England
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2011 via mobile

I have stayed at rooms before so I thought I knew what I was going to get for my 2 night stay after the Xmas. We arrived at reception to be informed that our reservation, despite being made and paid for in September was not in the system and therefore name not not the list. After presenting our voucher, and explaining the above, the reception staff weren't having it. That is until I asked why my name was on security list, hence they let me in through the barrier controlled driveway. The reply was, they just let you in!! I then asked if that defeated the objective of security and maybe when booking, guest should be advised of this. Hummmm reception staff then escalated to management! When I noted another guess distressed we both realised that we had both been told the same story, which led us to believe that the hotel had overbooked. Finally we were accommodated at the Jamaica Grand ( that's another story - staff on reception good the rest ok but the food, though complimentary for us that night is appalling. Don't go there over rated, ) the next day a room was finally made available, though I like rooms for it's location, but their poor administration system ruined our two days in OChie as we spent the best part of 2 days sorting out the room!!!

• Stayed December 2010
pa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2011

I've been to Ochie a few times, I have friends there and I absolutely love it. This time I wanted to stay downtown closer to the beach and am I glad I did. Long before we left I read all the reviews good and bad about Rooms and the good far outweighed the bad. When they say Rooms on the beach, they mean Rooms on the beach!!! The food was exactly what the reviews said it would be...not good but that wasn't my concern, there is too much to eat outside...drum chicken, White River, Mama Marleys...I could go on and on. The location of Rooms was perfect, when you left the gates if you turned left there were things to see and do and when you went right...IT WAS ALL RIGHT THERE!!! Craft market, more places to eat and of course Margaritaville a short walk up. Too much to mention. The room was perfect, it was clean, big enough for us, a ocean view...just lovely!!! The staff was fine...I can not wait to go back!!!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2011

I must agree with all the negative review. I should have listen to the advice and not stay at this hotel. This place is need of major upgrade--the rooms, the staff, the accomodations, everything. This is one of the worst place I have ever stayed. The rooms are moldy and smelly, the bedspeads seems like they have been on bed and never washed in about 100 years. I was skeptical about taking a shower, using the towels, sitting on the beds. I was ready for leave after the frst night but unfortunately for us, we had to pay for the rooms in full and there was no refund, so we had no choice. For 2 days we had no hot water to take bath....remember that in December it gets a bit cool so bathing in pure cold water was no fun.
The front desk staff seems to be accomodating but they seem to be immune and get use to all complains from guest several times a day. The restaurant staff seems to be in a different world.

The so called coninental breakfast is a joke...bread, cereal in abox (if you're a lucky). I can't believe that you're in a tropical island surrounded by so much fruit trees and not one day could you find a piece of fruit at the so-called continental breakfast ---what a total joke.

The only good thing going for this place is the beach. It was clean and relaxing. So if that's all you all looking for then you may find this place OK. but be careful when you return to your room.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
Detroit, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2010

I stayed at Rooms for about 2 and a half weeks and really enjoyed the time. The employees were kind and professional and i had not problem extending my trip. Though i don't normally get massages, i scheduled one with the massage therapist and it was fabulous. I got the deep tissue massage twice and felt like a completely new person each time. I would go again.

Other observations: 1) My room had a safe in it and i was able to lock things up that i didn't need. 2) During breakfast there was usually a Jamaican dish that i enjoyed if i came early enough. If i came too late, it would be gone. The meals seem to be designed for American tastes...which sucks. So the menu has things like burgers and fries; things that i don't go to Jamaica to eat. I usually didn't eat dinner at the hotel; although upon request on our first night, the chef made a Jamaican dish just for us, though it wasn't on the menu. 3) The workout room is better than most gyms at hotels in the states. I got my weights in every day...it was great. 4) Just down the street there is a restaurant that sells I-tal food....delicious! Owned by Rasta brothers, the food is healthy, fresh, and delicious. Often they made, upon request, a completely raw dish. There is a small selection of fresh juices. 5) Oh...i forgot to mention this....about 2 times per week the cruise ships dock for a day - they look completely hideous and are real eyesores when relaxing on the beach...to me anyway.

My only concerns had nothing to do with the service, rather what appears to be the low pay of workers in the tourist industry. This low pay coupled with long hours just doesn't seem fair. Another challenge was that when i left the hotel grounds, many people asked me to buy things from them or give them some money.The economy is tight and this tough economy led to some discomfort for me as a visitor when walking around the town.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Nashville, Tennessee
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2010

Bed was hard room could have been cleaned better & TV had a terrible picture. Great location close to everything and right on the beach.

• Stayed October 2010

Been to Rooms Ocho Rios? Share your experiences!