“We love Jamaica!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Rooms Ocho Rios

You added Rooms Ocho Rios to your Saves list
Rooms Ocho Rios
2.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Ocho Rios Beach | Main st., Ocho Rios, Jamaica   |
Ranked #22 of 41 Hotels in Ocho Rios
“We love Jamaica!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2006

We (from the Netherlands - sorry if this review containsspelling mistakes/language errors ) visited Jamaica in June (from 8-16th) and we enjoyed the hotel, people, especially the beach (!!! white silk sand, blue crystal water ) and Ocho Rios (night)life.
For those of you who don't feel like reading a blablabla review... here's what we liked and did not like...

LIKED!!!
- the hotel (IT IS NOT A LUXURIOUS PLACE, YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR) We liked the clean rooms, the safe, airco, telly, the view, the balcony. TIP: if possible, don't ask a room at 2/3 floor: there's no elevator!!!

- The beach!!! No swarming of people, a very very relaxed place. TIP: take beds from the pool, since the beach beds are all cracked. waterskiing/boat/catamaran is available.

- The bakery on the main street: for lunch we bought cheap delicious vegetable/ackee/ cheese loaf etc.

_ Margarittaville (Jimmy's Buffet) is really cool. with swimmingpool/bar etc. Especially on saturdays the place goes wild!!!

- Italian Restaurant Evita's, up in the hills, in a beautiful mansion: excellent food, they have a free pick up service, let your hotel make them a call...if you fance lobster tail/lamb chops and pinapple flambéed in rum... The restaurant is known for famous stars who have had dinner, like f.i. Uma Thurman/Mama Marley/Sean Paul/Etc.
Cheap dinner/expensive dining are both possible!

- On Main Street is Crown's Tavern, nice open air pub: they serve great Jamaican Delights (cocktails with rum/pinapple juice) and very good food for great prices!! On their menu are oxtail soup, great jerk chicken, jerk shrimps, pasta with calamaris etc.etc.

- Dunn's River Falls.. TIP: Visit the falls before 10.00, preferably around 8.30. no mass tourism and the falls are yours..we were the only ones.!!! price is now 15 USD for non residents of Jamaica... Bring your own watershoes and watch out with the lockers... If you arent that scared, the falls are "climbable" without a guide. We did, and I'm no hero... Takes you about 45 minutes.

- Visit the supermarket at Ocean Village. It's bigger and looks a lot cleaner than the one on the Main Street.

DID NOT LIKE!!!
- Breakfast at the hotel. Go and buy fruit at the supermarket, since they don't serve any during breakfast, there's toast, croissant, cakes, coffee, limonade but all this stuff is too sweet to handle (for us )....

• Stayed June 2006

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (155)
Naples, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2006

We, as a family, travel to Jamaica annually, but Negril is our usual destination, and will be in the future. We wanted a little different scenery and to be able to explore the beautiful landscape of Jamaica. So Ocho Rios was our choice. There aren't many independent hotels in Ocho Rios they are mostly All-Inclusive. We didn't want that type of confinement - we wanted to be able to go out to different eating establishments and explore the local culture.

First of all the hotel is in need of some serious up keep and maintenance. In a few words it is showing it's age. The staff does their best to keep it clean - but it's hard to do when you don't have much to work with. For instance - they have new A/C units but if you don't keep them blasting cold the system backs up with moisture and the room smells like an open sewer. All of the faucets in the bathroom leaked and the shower/tub filled up with water every time you took a shower. But, you know it is dirt cheap by US standards. We were steps from the water with a chainlink fence in front of us. I guess if you are going to Rooms you need to keep an open mind; It is Jamica, it is not a 4 star hotel
(although those ratings are strictly based on amenities not the condition of the property), it is very safe, the staff is very helpful as long as you give them some money and the location is very conveient to the main part of the town.

If you do want to go out to eat the taxi will add $20 to your dinner tab. The ride is 5 minutes and they do come back for you but it's a little pricey. There really isn't much to do in the town of Ocho Rios. My impression is that Ocho Rios came first and tourism came after. It feels like a small established caribbean city with an occasional influx of tourists.

The beach was very nice although the water was shallow with alot of seaweed so you don't want to walk out very far or you would hit slimmy grass. Most of the beach lounges were cracked and broken, not very comfortable to spend a couple of hours on. And yes, the breakfast included with the room was minimal. Eventually we didn't even bother going to it.And the coffee is one of those awful NESTLE coffee machines.

Oh well I guess if you are going to Rooms: you get what you pay for!!!. It's no frills!!!
A great location though on a beautiful island. If you're looking for a clean place without
the price tag Rooms will probably be the right place.

Good Luck!!!! Oh yeah, if you want to go to a nice retaurant, great location, excellent service and not very expensive - The Almond Tree is the spot. Also try Coconuts in Fishermans Village(?) a good diverse menu and not expensive. Do not go to BiBiBips -
their prices were ridiculously expensive. We walked out.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2006

We had an awesome time on our trip. The hotel was small but wonderful. The beach was beautiful. We ate dinner at the Ruins (a must do) and at the Italian place (as the cab driver or the hotel staff, they will know) It was very safe while we were there at the hotel. No problem. Margarittaville was fun. We ate lunch there a lot. It was very relaxing. Oh and the Cool Running (dunn's river falls trip) is a must for everyone! Hope you have a great time!

Stayed May 2006
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2006

This was my third trip to "Ochi" and Rooms on the Beach (ROB) & each time my experience is better than the time before! Here is a huge tip in traveling to Jamiaca....Go on a Tuesday, because there will be NO LINES at the airport and you will be out and on your way within minutes, I have gone on Thursday's and have waited 2 1/2 hours in the "Customs" line.....no lie. You will then have a "nice" 2 hour bus ride from Mobay to Ochi which I don't mind, I like seeing the island, most people don't enjoy this ride....your bus driver will stop about 1/2 way to Ochi at a place called "YOWS" (usually, but they can stop elsewhere) this is a nice "pit stop" you can get a bite to eat, & drink, & even shop, there are several gift shops there too, oh and this place has quite a nice view as well. But you must be quick, they don't stop for long. Once you arrive at ROB, you will feel at home. Be patient while checking in, the front desk has IMPROVED 100% the girls there are friendly and helpful, there was one wonderful young lady that made my check in this time the best experience ever, she is friendly, helpful, warm and kind, she is very professional as well. Her name is Mieka (spelling?) ROB has had some problems in this area, the front desk has always been this resorts down side, Not anymore. The rooms are large, clean, & have wonderful views. Saturday nights they had Karaoke, dancing and a fashion show this might be a seasonal thing cause I've gone other months (maybe there slow season) and there's been music from the outside bar. They don't have a huge menu, but everything on it is great, nothing to fancy, which I like cause I'm a picky eater, I like simple. The pool is always clean and uncrowded. The grounds are spotless always, never do you see anything out of place. You will have everthing right around you, the town is terrific, I feel very safe there, I went shopping by my self one day, & was not bothered at all. The best part of staying at ROB is the beach......it's just PERFECT! If you like to be pampered in "style" this is NOT the place for you, if you are down to earth and like to let your "hair down" and "wine" a likkle, then this IS the place to stay! If you go tell, Sharon, (waitress) Patrick (waiter), Ann,(manager) Donovan,(waiter) Tony (the towel guy) Leon (bartender) Meika (front desk) Jovan & Benjie (DJ's & Karaoke) Natalee (Karaoke) and Deidra (Karaoke) And ALL the others that work there, I know there faces, but not all names....(sorry guys) tell them "Elaine" sends her love. When I arrive they say: "WELCOME HOME" and that is exactly how I feel! I love these people, i'm sure you will too. P.S. just remember....."a little kindness, goes a long way"!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2006

The beach just yards from the open-air dining room and Main Street just outside the gates create the perfect location. Clean, friendly, quiet and relaxing. Before the sun set the first evening, my husband and I decided this was the place we would be visiting every year. The open markets are wonderful, although the hawkers can be persistent.
DO NOT PLAN YOUR NEXT VACATION WITHOUT LOOKING HERE!

Stayed May 2006
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2006

My friend and I stayed from May 14th- 21st and we were extremely sad to go!
First off let me say, the ride from the airport (which I've taken twice now, once in April) is NOT that bad. We got in both times in the evening, sit back relax, have a nap or red stripe and enjoy the ride, you'll be there before you know it! It takes almost exactly 2hrs at night when there is very little traffic!

Rooms was great, right on the beach, super close to everything (the bars & restaurants, market and shopping), the staff was great, rooms cleaned well, always enough towels (if there wasn't all we had to do was ask), and the food at the restaurant was decent! I didn’t see any bugs except mosquito’s and that was my fault for leaving the patio door open!

All you have to do for a cheap decent meal is walk into the center of town, and get a meal from a vendor WOW the jerk chicken was good from the guys on the street! NO you won’t die -we had NO 'digestive' problems either.
Lots of fruit on the street, and the Esso is great for a quick drink, try the tru-juice pineapple orange ummmm. (There are also tons of grocery stores all over for cheap snacks, and bottled water!)

You have to go to Margaritaville (mon, wed & sat - good nights- wed is all you can drink till 1am $10 if you wear a swim suit even if its under your clothes $20 if you don’t and sat is free for women but drinks aren't included! $10 for the boys)
Amnesia is also a good time! It doesn’t get good till after 12 and is open quite late, go on thurs women are free and men are like 200 Jamaican! The dance floor is outside so be prepared to sweat!! there is another dance floor inside but no one uses it unless it’s raining It’s Air-conditioned!!! a nice relief from the 30 degree weather outside!!

Some problems- when we checked in they put us in a room on the third floor (There is NO elevator) and we were in a room with one king bed, not an issue but the room they moved us to the next day with the two doubles not only smelled really bad it had a small mold problem and the AC didn’t work! We waited and while to see if the smell would go away, and than called maintenance to fix the ac. So all in all we were in three rooms! The final room, had a great view, SUPER AC and smelled just fine! All the rooms with two double beds are on the bottom floor which was great cause there were no stairs, we could walk off the balcony down to the beach, but the door doesn’t lock from the outside so don’t leave valuables around just in case....but it was still great! There is plenty of security so we always felt safe!

We ate quite a bit in Fusion (the on-site restaurant) and we really enjoyed almost all of the staff.
Also, if you are leery of curry, or spicy stuff, try the hamburger & fries from Fusion it was really good for $5 US, AND the pasta & meat sauce and chicken fingers were also good for only 4.50 US each!FYI-The towels for the beach were yucky but the life guard would dig through and give us the nicest newest towels! Don’t loose it or your card because its 30 US WOW! I've bought nicer towels at Wal-Mart for $4.99...ahahahaha!

There are also washer and dryers on every floor, its two dollars US for one token, and usually took one to wash and two to dry, but it was a bonus. Bring your own detergent it was two bucks for the little one load boxes in the gift shop!
(My brother stayed at a Riu in the Dominican and it cost him $80 US to wash a FEW things through the hotel!!!)

If there were mini fridges in the rooms, it would be perfect for a non all inclusive because you could keep your booze cold with out going through tons of ice and store left overs for later!! OH there are NO clocks at all in the rooms, we never knew what time it was and I didn’t want to call the front desk every time I needed the time, I would bring a small alarm clock next time!

All in all we would return for the price....you can’t go wrong.
I stayed at the Riu Ocho Rios in April and although its beautiful, its $30 for a cab into town, the night life at the resort sucked and the food left a lot to be desired for almost 2000/person I expected MUCH more.....Rooms was almost half that for two and was great!
OH and at RIU they shut off the AC in all of the rooms from 8am till 5pm and just have a fan-to conserve energy!! When I got home EVERYTHING stunk and if you slept any later than 8 you woke up covered in sweat! (keep in mind that's really all I have to say bad about RIU)

I am extremely picky but decided to go with low expectations and was pleasantly surprised!
It’s simply a hotel- NOT a resort. Go expecting this and you should find it acceptable!

I know that this has to be the longest review in history, but if you have any questions, email me!

• Stayed May 2006
canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2006

My daughter and I found this resort great. We were a bit worried because we had never been to Jamaica before and second we had never used that travel agency before. But we took a chance and decided to go for it. We arrived at the airport at Montego Bay around 10:30 at night and still had a 2 hour drive to the resort. Our transfers was included in our ticket and our rep was there to greet us and assist us . The road is bumpy and dusty as there is alot of road work being done. At the resort we were helped with our luggage and asigned our room in short time. We had requested a room on the upper floor and was given room 1203 .Don't take it , it was older , musty and not like the picture in the book. We were to tired to argue so just accepted it for the night, but next morning I requested a new room and was given room 1303. Much nicer, smelled like lemon, bright, cleaner, and looked out over the palm trees on the ocean side.
Breakfast is white or brown bread,muffins,crossiants, danish and 3 types of jams,orange,pineapple or fruit punch juice, tea or coffee . You can order breakfast and it is very good but cost $7.00 US.for 2 eggs and bacon. I took cereal with me and peanut butter and jam packs. I asked for milk for my tea but was told they had none so I drank the tea black. It is called Grace Tea and was very good black.Too bad they didn't offer fresh fruit but I could of got some from any of the vendors or the mart if I wanted to.
For lunch I took snacks and went to Kentucky Fried chicken, or just grabbed a salad at the resort.It is so hot all you want is just to lay in the water or lounge on the beach , food doesn't seem important, just a cold drink was all I needed.
For supper, we dined at the Ruins,amazing place and the food was good. I had sweet and sour chicken , not like we have in Canada but good, the rice was divine. We also called Evita's and they sent a taxi picked us up and took us back free. I had Evita's Aktin's sirloin tips on a salad. Very good. Another night we went to Mama Marley's . That was nice also but I found the pasta primerva very peppery. I asked the waiter what special drinks he had so he offered a bartenders special for $6.00 US. I refused thinking too expenisve and ordered a glass of white wine. When my bill came ,the wine cost $6.00!!!!! I guess I should ask before I drink. We also went to Coconuts. I had a club sandwich and it was huge and good but my daughter got the chicken burger which wasn't good, too dry so she fed it to the 5 cats that hung around us while we ate.
The beach has crystal clear water, warm not very deep, but with some seaweed or moss out where it is roped off. I spent alot of time in the area of the beach towards the seadoos as I found the water deeper and less seaweed. Alot of Jamaicans swim in that area too but the area isn't that busy( mostly on Sat. or Sun). The cruise ships had their own section of beach but our area is much nicer than theirs for swimming. Only problem I seen was that alot of the beach loungers are broken , but you could bring one from the pool to the beach so there was No problem!
The craft market is behind the resort. I went there several different times. They want you to look at their things so to pay respect to them, I would glance over it, comment on the hard work, the nice things they had, and how I wish I had more room in my suitcase or money to buy. I would always say No Thank You and was let alone to browse. One lady wanted my hat and offered to trade me so I gave her the hat ,and told her to enjoy I didn't want anything in return. I was going home , one less thing to pack
The staff at the Rooms were very friendly to us. I bugged the lady on the front desk until I got a new room: I gave her a tip and a pewter suncatcher for her effort, which she was very surprised to receive.The waiter in the dining area waved and smiled to us every time he met us. The guy at the pool, Dave, every morning would ask if everything was okay and provide me with a lotion of aloe and coconut oil ,the maids always asked how my sunburn was getting and said she would miss us walking by every day. One day we went to our room and towels were made like swams and flowers sprinkled over the bed.
My daughter and I walked to Dunns River Falls from Rooms. Don't do it in 32C. heat!!!! We misunderstood when we asked the guy at the resort how long it would take to walk there. We thought he said 15 minutes BUT he said 50 minutes. It was 1 hour and 20 minutes. Then, when we got there, I realized I still had a long hill to climb !!!. I couldn't do it. Thank God a taxi came , offered to take us up the hill, come back in 2 hours and take us back to Rooms for$10. US. Best 10 dollars I ever spent. We did the Falls and I did the slide. Don't do it, if you don't like going underwater doing somersaults 3 times and drinking half the pool!!!!
Go to the supermarket buy your Red STripe there and Fill your garbage can with ice and your beer. Cheaper than the bar, $3.50 a bottle at the bar.About a $1.00 US at the mart.
We made alot of new and wonderful friends in Jamaica.I want to say Hello to Page, Nathan, Shirley,Kevin,and a special hug for Shanika(wear your shorts:):):) Robert, Colleen,
and Dan. I even met the famous Luke of Jamaica and a man the Jamaicians call The King.
Would I go back to Rooms? You bet I would, it was a wonderful vacation, and what better way to spend Mother's Day, than in Jamaica with my daughter on vacation.

• Stayed May 2006

Been to Rooms Ocho Rios? Share your experiences!