“Simply the best” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 41 Hotels in Ocho Rios
California
“Simply the best”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2006

My wife and I recently made our fifth visit to RP and we will be going back. The property is simply beautiful. All rooms are spacious, well appointed, and have ocean views. You’ll sleep like a baby on the wonderful bedding.

There are two places to eat lunch and both feature excellent made-to-order dishes. Your dinner choices are an upstairs, white-glove setting, or on the veranda. Both dinner locations have gourmet food. The nightly entertainment enhances the dining to produce memorable evenings.

Peter Fraser, the GM, and Suzanne Millwood, the Hotel Manager, are both very visible and will personally see to any details concerning your visit.

Do yourself a favor and get to know the staff (Ian, Latoya, Cibonney, Terry-Ann, Craig, Gary, Natelie). They are professional in manner and are representatives of Jamaica’s best asset; its people. Go make some friends.

As one reviewer pointed out, this is not a party resort. You will, however, tend to find a well-to-do, friendly and engaging clientele. We have been fortunate to meet people on each of our visits who have become friends that we keep in touch with.

RP is a magical place on a magical island.

Jack and Di

• Liked — The room was both luxurous and very comfortable
  • Disliked — Space to stow luggage
  • Tips/Secrets — Go to the bar, its a great meeting place. Get to know the staff, they will add to your enjoyment
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (413)
France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2006

My husband and I have just returned from a two-week holiday at RP. Having read the reviews on this site it is fair to say that we went there with high expectations, and we were not disappointed. It is simply the best hotel we have ever stayed in.

We stayed in a luxury ocean front junior suite which was as spacious as it was elegant – the bed was the most comfortable I have ever slept in. The view over the beach was stunning.

From the minute we arrived, right until we left, the service was nothing short of exceptional – nothing is too much trouble for the gracious, friendly staff at RP. In my mind, it is their attention to detail that sets this place apart from the rest, and we genuinely miss their warmth and generosity now that we’re back home.

Our package was the Royal Plan, which I would recommend as it’s nice to be able to eat and drink exactly what you want without having to worry about a bill at the end of the stay. It’s a very comprehensive package and even includes brand name spirits in the room and a huge selection of house wines with dinner. The restaurants were excellent, portions plenty big enough for us, and we were fortunate to experience the six course chef’s table dinner one night, hosted by the hotel manager, chef and sommelier. The evenings were very pleasant and relaxing – this is not a party hotel, (we wouldn’t have gone if it had been) – a relaxing dinner, often under the stars, and music.

The gardens and grounds to the hotel are very attractive and beautifully kept. The beaches are on the small side, but kept pristine and never seemed crowded. There is plenty do with tennis, gym, water sports etc, all of which are well organised. Other options include a nature walk with the ground staff, an opportunity to cook in the kitchens and various demonstrations and talks.

We just loved everything about this place, and are already trying to plan our return there. A huge thank you to all the staff there, and to the reviewers on this site who convinced us this was the place for us. We shall be forever in your debt!

• Liked — Amazing staff and service
  • Disliked — Liked everything
  • Tips/Secrets — Take books to read and be ready to leave one - the library needs building up
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Atlanta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2006

Wife & I stayed at RP from 9/14-9/19 and it is a great place to lay back and enjoy life. Food was good to excellent. The service was extremely good. Per other reviews, the pool is small ..but it works. The two beaches are small but offer more than enough space for the 77 rooms. The beach is very well kept and raked every day. Stayed on the Royal Plan and indeed is a good deal.There was entertainment each night and quite enjoyable. Actually the Celebrity Golf Tournement was going during two days of our stay and there was a special party for these folks and the guests were invited. The rooms are just as in the pictures and we had a bar setup. This is a highly recommended property and I will look forward to a revisit.

• Liked — The rooms with the ocean views
  • Disliked — can't really think of anything bad
  • Tips/Secrets — Just Chill and enjoy the place
Cherry Hill, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2006

My husband and I celebrated our 25th anniversary at this perfect resort in mid-August. Royal Plantation most certainly deserves it's # 1 rating on this trip advisor site. Truly this was one of the most relaxing, stress free vacations we have ever had, and we've had many over 25 years! Most notable is the extraordinary service and friendliness extended by every member of the staff. We were treated royally in every way; from champagne and chocolates to a specially prepared 6-course anniversary dinner.

Although we did not get the specific room we reserved, we quickly forgot this mishap and were mesmerized by the breathtaking view and the lovely amenities in our room. We spent hours floating in the clear, warm blue ocean sipping early morning mimosas (served with fruit plates on the beach everyday) and late afternoon rum punch. We thoroughly enjoyed the water sports (all included on Royal Plan) and the personal attention by the staff. "Wesley" was happy to take us on a personal sailing adventure whenever asked. Lunch at the beach was incredible - delicious selections even made more enjoyable when served by Natalie. And evening cocktail hour in the lounge was perfect – Grey Goose martinis and beautiful piano serenades

We chose the Royal Plan and enjoyed it immensely. The food here is excellent, and I was very pleased with the house wine selections. When ordered, you are served a bottle of your choice, and the selection is quite varied…..from a crisp Orvieto to a smooth Syrah. My husband appreciated that his golf greens fees were covered, and was very satisfied with the Sandals course. We stayed 5 nights and enjoyed the Royal Plan, but if I were staying longer I would consider switching to the European plan for a few nights. Although delicious and enticing, I don't think I could continue eating three gourmet meals daily any longer.

On a final note, although not included in the Royal Plan, I had an 80-minute West Indies massage by Christine. This was one of the best massages I have ever had, and I am a frequent visitor to top spas across the country. Just another aspect of perfection at the Royal Plantation.

• Liked — View of ocean
  • Disliked — No walk out balcony
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Auburn, Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2006

Absolutley perfect!! This is a very special place that I highly reccomend. Everything from the taxi ride with "Cool David", the food, the service, the beaches, the view, the rooms, etc. was amazing. We went on our honeymoon in August which by the way is the slow time of the year for the resort. This was great becasue there were not many people there. It felt like we were royalty in a castle to ourselves. This is not a place to bring the kids, but it is a great place for couples or adult families.

There is no need to leave the resort, but we had fun going out and shopping. The taxi fare from the Hotel is a set amount, and the drivers are pre-approved by the resort. It takes about 2 min. to get a taxi from the front desk. I HIGHLY reccomend using "Cool David" as your driver. We had 5 different drivers on our stay and he was far and away the best we had. Some of them drive like maniacs and are not curtious, but David is great. You can request him to pick you up from the airport and so on.

PLEASE DO YOURSELF A FAVOR AND STAY HERE!!!

• Liked — The overall design of the Resort
  • Disliked — The roomservice was bad one night. Good food bad attitude
  • Tips/Secrets — Ask for Cool David for your driver
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
London, England
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2006

My partner and I have just come back from spending some time at Royal Plantation. We were not there on honeymoon and we are quite a young couple. I certainly would not recommend this hotel to anyone thinking of staying there. At risk of being lynched by all those reviewers who have given the thumbs up for this place, I would have to say that I have never stayed at a more overpriced and overrated hotel in my life. I do appreciate however, that everybody has different tastes and preferences and so these views only represent my own which obviously seem to be at odds with other reviewers on this site. I would not ordinarily go to the trouble of writing a review but I feel obligated to present another viewpoint, in the event that it saves some people who look for what I look for in a hotel, a lot of time and money! First, I would say that I am slightly surprised that this hotel has been awarded 5 stars. The décor is dated and the whole hotel is in general need of a makeover. Floral prints adorn every single item of upholstery and much of the hotel is swathed in dark woods and dark reds and greens. I hated the mock English attempts at interior design. Second, the pool is tiny. Luckily when we were there, the hotel was only 40% full (and felt like a morgue) so the pool, area was deserted. I would hate to think what it gets like during the high season. Third, we stayed on the European Plan which is the room only option but the price of the food and drink is exorbitant beyond belief! With the European Plan, they do offer complimentary tea and coffee at 6.45am each morning and 4.45pm – nice and inconvenient then! Fourth, we needed to access the Internet and this seemed to be another way for the hotel to screw money out their guests by charging ridiculous rates. Fifth, I am a 'bathroom person' and I was totally disappointed with the quality of our shower. The pressure was so weak that you couldn't even tell the shower was on. You would expect more from a '5 star diamond luxury resort'. Lastly, and on a more general note, if you are after a young, hip and trendy place to stay, this is definitely not the place for you. I can say with some certainty, that you will hate it. It feels stagnant, fuddy-duddy, common place and, above all, depressing. As an indication, this is a hotel where they ask you to wear 'smart slacks and a shirt for dinner'! This place is so stiff, it's unreal! To not put too fine a point on it, we checked out early (losing two nights stay which we already paid for) because the whole experience was too soul destroying to bear any longer. Also, the town of Ohio Rios is absolutely horrendous so if you like the idea of being holed up your hotel for your vacation, then this place is for you.

• Liked — The staff were helpful
  • Disliked — The standard of decor and atmosphere
  • Tips/Secrets — Don't stay here if you like to stay somewhere chic and happening!
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2006

My husband and I honeymooned from August 10th to the 18th at Royal Plantation in Ocho Rios, Jamaica. The resort is amazing and the service is impecable.

I read prior to our arrival about the often uncomfortable 2 hour drive from Sangstar International airport to the resort due to the unfinished roads. The driver we had made the ride extremely comfortable. We did not experience much discomfort at all.

We were guests on the Royal Plan so everything you could think of was included. Because it was our honeymoon, we even received complimentary champagne, chocolate covered strawberries and a gift certificate from the GM himself. The only negative thing I would say is that having to sign for every service/item you receive, although on the Royal Plan became a bit bothersome. When I inquired about this we were told this was only for administrative purposes.

The staff became quite acquainted us after only a few days as they soon called us by name. The waiters, bartenders, beach attendants and maids were all so pleasant and attentive. The GM also managed to come around on more than one occasion to personally greet each guest.

We can not say enough about the food. The cuisine was amazing and the portions were just right. I'd read prior reviews which stated the portions were quite small. Both my husband and I found each meal quite filling.

The view of the private beach from our terrace was amazing. The beach was so well kept. When we did manage to leave the room and head to the beach, we were waited attended to promptly by the attendants. They were so in tune with your every need that you never needed to lift a finger for anything.

As for the Spa, I truly felt rejuvenated after each of the treatments I received. The quality of service more than made up for the fact that they were a bit pricey in nature. As an added bonus, the entire spa staff sang Happy Birthday and brought me a slice of cake along with champagne.

The resorts amenities were so gratifying that you never wanted to leave the resort. We did manage to experience Dunns River Falls which was great. We also had a night out at Margaritaville which is located 10 minutes from the resort.

Overall this was the best vacation we've ever had and we plan on going back next year to celebrate our one year anniversary (and hopefully my birthday again). I would highly recommend this resort to anyone honeymooning or for any couples who truly want to be pampered.

Stayed August 2006

Been to Sandals Royal Plantation? Share your experiences!