“Quality, Quality, Quality!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 41 Hotels in Ocho Rios
Mississauga, Canada
“Quality, Quality, Quality!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2014

My wife and I just returned home yesterday from our 2nd stay at SRP. We were there last year at this same time.

There really isn't any need to look at other resorts. This place exceeded our expectations, yet again. Much of the same staff are still there - Cleon and Adrian on the beach, Jason and O'Shane as the entertainment and the usual butlers you see around the resort. We had Hector and Sherrill this year as our butlers and they were outstanding. On our second night, my wife was sick and they tended to her until she was better the next day, bringing her Pepto Bismol and ginger tea.

The bar staff was new to us but were just as great as Sean was last year (who is now a Butler). By day two they remembered our names and what we liked to drink.

I mentioned this in my first review last year, and I'll say it again - this is a small, quiet and intimate resort. We saw many of the same faces as last year. It really does fell like you are coming home.

If you are looking this resort for the first time and aren't sure what to think about the butler service, remember that no request is too big or small. During our last day, my wife asked our butler for some lobster for lunch.. He indicated it would be difficult given that they don't normally have lobster tail until dinner. I wish I had taken a picture of what she got because it was one of the biggest lobster tails I have seen.

Needless to say we have already booked to go back next February, and we can't wait.

If quality of service and food and a quiet vacation is what you are after, this is the place for you. If you want more of a party, swim up bars and large buffets, go somewhere else. Although you will have access to the much larger and louder Sandals Grande Riviera next door, you will find yourself wanting to get back to your own piece of paradise at the Royal Plantation very quickly.

Notes: We stayed in the west wing again - room 359 (top floor). We find this side has a more unobstructed view of the water.

Adrian and Cleon are amazing on the beach. Always happy!

Don't be afraid to ask for your lunch on the beach. Your butler or the beach butlers will bring it to you.

We tipped our butlers about $20 each per day (7days). I add this into my review because the most common question I received this time from newcomers was "how much should I tip them." This can be dependent on how much you use them our on your own financial means.

While this is typically an "older crowd" resort, I found there were many more couples under 40 this year. Having said that, everyone is very friendly and easy to talk to regardless of age.

Room Tip: West wing has best views. Ask for the 2nd or 3rd floor.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Cassie C, Review Coordinator at Sandals Royal Plantation, responded to this review, March 1, 2014
We're so thrilled to hear of your wonderful return visit spent with us at Sandal Royal Plantation. We always want our guests to have stellar experiences at our resorts and it's great to know that your stay was nothing short of amazing! Thank you for your review.

We can't wait to welcome you back!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (413)
Chattanooga, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2014

It has taken several days to adjust to the fact that our typical evening meal doesn't include escargo, rack of lamb or black grouper, terrific French onion soup and fabulous chocolate pudding served by the ever-smiling Simon with beautiful mood music in the background or that we won't find that Neil or Kenroy had a bubble bath waiting after a strenuous afternoon at the beach or that there were no peacocks begging for morsels as we ate breakfast on the terrace and where is Lisa with afternoon tea when you need her. Darn.

What a great place! Sandals R.P. is a perfect retreat if you want to decompress in an idyllic setting where your every need is met. For once, the ads don't lie. Our butlers, Neil and Kenroy, were wonderful; always eager to set up excursions like a trip to Firefly where we weren't troubled by big groups of tourists and anticipating our every need. As a matter of fact, the entire staff at Sandals is professional, extremely courteous and willing to form close personal freindships or leave you alone if you want. Maybe they get tired of all this "positivity" and kick the cat when they get home or try to run down one of the ubiquitous goats along the side of the road as they drive, but I don't think so.

No complaints. The reef was damaged by Hurricane Sandy so the snorkeling is not spectacular and a couple from a country on the west side of the European continent but not a peninsula or an island bent the rules and put their stuff on four beach lounge chairs at different locations but they were easy to ignore. Jamaica us crazy? Nope. No worries.

The bottom line: the food is great (all of it), the setting is beautiful, the options from watersports to just hanging out are plentiful (use the privilege to go to the Sandals Grand Riviera next door for lots of bars etc.) and the staff from top to bottom is just excellent. We look forward to returning and getting a genuinely happy greeting and having a "welcome home" sign on our door just as the Brits who have been here nine (!) times received. Wow!

Room Tip: We were on one of the upper floors of the East wing which was perfect.
Gosport, IN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2014

My husband and I spent Feb. 8-14th at SRP to celebrate our 20th Anniversary. The summer of 2013 I spent hours researching where we wanted to go to celebrate. In 2010, we had our first Sandals experience at the Royal Bahamian so we narrowed our choices to a Sandals resort. I read so many great reviews on this resort but I didn't think there was any way it could be as great as everyone said it was.
Was I ever wrong! The Sandals Royal Plantation is better than great. It is as much or more than anyone has written to date. From the welcome to the beautiful and spacious room, to the amazing food no matter where you ate, to the beach and beach attendants....I have absolutely nothing I can write negative about this resort. Some people have written that the resort needs updating but the age of this resort is one of the things that makes it so beautiful.

So I want to mention some names of staff that were incredible:
First, to Hector and Sherril, our two butlers...Thank you so much for making this trip so special. You were there but did not hover. We mentioned we'd love to try coconut milk/water...and two fresh coconuts showed up in our room drilled with a straw ready to drink. We mentioned we loved Grand Manier and a whole bottle was on the bar in our room. The room decorations were beautiful...the afternoon snacks were delicious.... We just can't thank you both enough for your attention to detail. We can't wait to have you as our butlers again on our future trip.

Then there is Biggs (Adrian) and Cleon..our outstanding beach butlers. Thank you so much for the delicious drinks and delivering us our lunch at our beach chairs each day. Biggs, I won't ever forget that very "filthy" banana drink on our last day. It was absolutely delicious!

To Chad, one of the beach attendants....you did an excellent job making sure everyone had chair pads, towels and that the beach was kept impecably clean every day and all day long. You made the beach a wonderful place to stay all day..every day!

Beach hint: go down early to reserve your beach chairs. Since every room is a butler room, the butlers cannot reserve them for you. But, if you go down and put a towel/magazine etc on the chairs you want, they are your's for the day. The resort does ask that you not leave your chair unattended for more than 2 hours which I think was very fair.....

To Romaine Johnson (the very talented Romaine)..thank you for making our anniversary dinner on the pier, under the gazebo, so special. Your musical ability is amazing and I am so glad I have some of your musicianship recorded as a very special memory of that evening.

To the Wobbly Peacock staff...from Oshane, Andre and Lincoln... you are all so amazingly talented. We spent our anniversary evening up at the Wobbly Peacock singing and listening to some wonderful piano playing.

So then there was the food. First of all, one thing that stood out was that there is not one place you eat that you don't have a water view. This resort is just so perfectly laid out. We had room service for breakfast every day. Winston delivered breakfast to us almost every day and was right on time with piping hot food. Everything was delicious. HINT: If you want to try something truly Jamaican, write on your breakfast hang tag "Jamaican Breakfast".. you will get ackee and saltfish. It is a Jamaican speciality and was delicious. We had it at least twice. La Pappillion is wonderful. 4 course meals no matter where you eat. You can dine on the Terrace with no reservations or down at the Grill, right on the water. It doesn't matter...the food was outstanding everywhere. For lunch, you can't miss out on the coconut shrimp, lobster BLT and the jerk chicken and pork was delicious.

We were in a Great House Butler Suite. Our room was on the west wing closest to the ocean. The view could not have been better. If you worry about the french balcony (which I worried terribly about before we went)..don't... The doors open wide to the most beautiful view and warm sea breezes. We left the doors open whenever we were in the room and at night.

Finally, I'd like to mention some very special friends we met while we were there. We became friends with Lee and Shelley from Texas, Chris and Vicki from Canada and Nick and Jane from Illinois. They were all wonderful to get to know. We hope to cross paths with them on a future trip. What fun we had at the Wobbly Peacock on our anniversary!

So in summary... my husband is not a tropical vacation kind of guy. However, as a tesitment to how great this resort is, we have already booked another trip to the Sandals Royal Plantation January 2015. This was my husbands suggestion 100%. Of course I didn't argue! This says a whole lot about how wonderful this resort it.

Thank you again to everyone for making this trip so special. We will return in 333 days... not that I am counting!

Room Tip: West wing. All the rooms have an ocean view. You don't need a balcony/verandah to enjoy the ocea...
Winnipeg, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2014

Excellent food and service, beautifully appointed hotel and rooms, amazing ocean views, lush surroundings, and first-class entertainment are important aspects of a vacation for us.... and boy does this resort deliver!
We visited SRP January 25 – February 1/14 and followed this with 4 days in the Prime Minister’s Suite at SMP – magical combination although two very different resorts. We have been to several Sandals/Beaches resorts on various islands but prefer Jamaica – for its lushness, the friendliness of the Jamaican people, the music, and the freshness and variety of the food.
MoBay transfer both arriving and departing is a very good value, especially if arriving or departing on a Saturday. People on our flight were lined up for 1 ½ hours to get through customs – it took us 15 minutes to get to the Sandals Lounge after landing. Definitely worth every penny of the $160.00 U.S for two for arrival and departure and we would not travel to MoBay again without it. We would rather spend 1 ½ hours looking at the beautiful countryside en route to SRP than to spend that time in a long line up at the airport.
We made a huge mistake upon arrival – we ended up taking someone else’s bag (staying at a different resort), leaving one of our bags (with our scuba gear) in the airport. Through years of travel we have never made this mistake. The only reason to include this in my review is to convey how impressed we were with how quickly and professionally this problem was resolved by SRP. It was no small matter as it entailed several phone calls to Westjet to track down the people whose bag we took so we could get it sent to them asap and several phone calls to Customs and a letter faxed to Customs to get our bag released to Sandals. We would like to express our sincere appreciation to Shena, the manager of the front desk, who provided us with the most excellent customer service. Her professionalism and kindness set the tone for the level of service we would experience for the rest of our holiday.
We have never been to an all-inclusive that is so committed to providing such a high level of customer service – and that is every staff member. Our butlers Shelley-Anne and Jermaine were wonderful - it is obvious that they love what they do and enjoy anticipating and fuffilling your every need to ensure that you enjoy your holiday to the fullest.
We enjoyed the Musicians who played real Jamaican music in the early afternoon, while we were sipping Pinot Grigio and enjoying smoked marlin on crostini with pepper jelly and coconut shrimp at the Royal Cafe. So refreshing to go to the Caribbean and hear real local music, as opposed to piped-in top forty music from North America. Even Seaford, the gentleman who looks after the gardens and generally takes care of the grounds, joined in and played with the musicians. Seaford is a true gentleman and I really enjoyed running into him every day (he seemed to be everywhere). A couple of times during our stay, he would bring down several coconuts to the beach, cut off the tops and serve you fresh coconut water with two straws.

My main concern with booking the SRP was the size of the beach areas. The beaches are small and the sun is off the beach mid afternoon. We missed long walks on the beach. Although the water and beach is beautiful, it is small and best suited for lounging and reading. However, there are plenty of water sports to enjoy and we took full advantage. We took advantage of the gym facilities first thing in the morning before a swim and breakfast. The snorkeling trips were a waste of time as we saw more fish around the pier at SRP and around the pier at SGR then on the reef.
Probably a result of the devastating Hurricane Gilbert. My advice, if you are a fairly active couple who enjoy physical activity and would be bored just sitting on the beach for 7 days: book a couple of excursions. Several of the best excursions available on the island are at your doorstep so take advantage and see how beautiful Ocho Rios is. You do not need to book before you go, do it when you get there as your butler can arrange everything. We booked 2 excursions, and they were so good we plan to do them again next year. Our first excursion was to Mystic Mountain which is a 15 minute drive from the hotel and one of the highlights of our trip. We left at 9:00 am and opted to do the Sky Explorer/zip-lining Combo. You ride up the mountain on a chairlift, just skimming over the canopy of the rainforest. The views of the ocean and the rainforest were spectacular and the 20 minute slow ride up the mountain is really lovely and relaxing. I am scared of heights but it did not bother me in the least. You can either zipline down or take the bobsled. We opted for the ziplining, and it was a blast! I was a little leery about doing a risky activity in a foreign country but the guides were very professional and safety is a priority. The ziplining offered not only a great adventure but great views of the rainforest. They have a great little restaurant there with great views, as well as a waterslide and pool which we didn’t experience... after all it is hard to beat the smoked marlin, coconut shrimp, and lobster BLT with some red stripe/pinot grigio that was waiting for us back home at SRP just steps away from the ocean! You could not ask for a better day. Next year we plan to do all 3 activities at Mystic Mountain to get the full thrill. Chairlift up, zipline down, chairlift up (there is no limit) and bobsled down (even if I scream the whole 1,000-meter roller coaster down).

Equally as enjoyable was a trip we took that is not offered by Sandals, but is getting increasingly popular among tourists...THE BLUE HOLE. Our butler, Shelley-Anne arranged for a driver, packed us a beautiful picnic with a cooler of red stripe/water/juice. It cost us $80.00 U.S. for a driver and $20.00 for the guide. It is a 20 minute drive up the lush hills of Ocho to one of the most scenic spots I have ever been in without the crowds. Initially you will be taken to the smaller falls, and if you can navigate the slippery rocks, and you are a decent swimmer, the guide will take you to the larger falls. It was exhilarating and spectacular walking up and down the falls and swimming in the crystal clear water. The beauty was that we were on our own schedule and we could sit and share a wonderful lunch with our driver and guides and other locals while taking in the beauty of the falls and the lushness of the forest.
We also took the Sunset Cruise which was included in our package – would definitely do that again, even if we had to pay for it, as it was a great way to enjoy the coast from the water for 2 1/2 hours. Don't forget your bathing suit as it is so amazing to take the mini water slide into the ocean as the sun sets.
The one aspect of this vacation which made it so much more intimate than any other holiday at a Sandals is the fact that there are only 148 people staying at the hotel, making it is easier to connect with and develop friendships with so many fascinating people.

There are only a couple of suggestions I would make: Firstly, please bring in a floatable island, like the one next door at SGR, one for each beach, so that beach lovers can get the most out of enjoying the beach, especially later in the day. There is very limited real estate on the piers where the sun shines all day, and these spots are usually reserved early in the morning. Having a spot to swim to and lay on in the middle of the swim areas would really enhance the beach experience for all beach lovers, especially in the late afternoon.Secondly, please add one or two recumbent bikes to the gym for those of us who prefer biking for our cardio.
See you again next year!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2014 via mobile

feb 13-20/2014 we didn't want to leave! The staff were the best! and exceeded our expectations! Thank you to our butlers, Ashpol and Chadwell, Lorna in the gift shop (your mom's Jamaican apples were delish!), Lisa Gay a wonderful beautiful waitress, and Taniqua, and Romaine and all the staff in all the restaurants. The food at this resort was just fantastic great chefs! Thanks to Marlo at the beach for bringing me my snorkel gear! yes the beaches were small, but still enjoyable and we always got lounge chairs, as the beach staff made sure we were looked after with chairs, towels, drinks, food and watersports. Marlo even accompanied me on the snorkel boat as i was alone and a bit afraid. how kind! Sheena a manager in the front office came out to say goodbye, what a sweetheart. Jason did a terrific job in entertainment. we will definitely go back to this resort an amazing holiday. golf was good, snorkelling was good, went fishing (didn't catch a fish but enjoyed it) room was fine, butlers kept bar well stocked and gave us surprise treats like cheese and fruit plates too. loved the peacocks too. really did relax here. liked the no tipping policy (except for butlers and beach butlers) beautiful resort

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2014

My husband and I have just recently come back from our honeymoon at the Royal Plantation (July 22 – 29, 2013). From the minute you step off the plane, there are Sandals employees ready to assist you. Their reception is so well organized and you immediately feel like you are on vacation even before you leave the airport.
We were so thoroughly impressed with the service, food and accommodations at the resort. My parents had been to the resort years ago and promised us a good time. Everything they had described was accurate right down to the delicious coconut shrimp at the beach café. The food at the hotel was amazing; we especially enjoyed the ‘Jamaican night’ and the French cuisine at ‘le papillon’. The chef is so accommodating, who knew you could add lobster to almost any dish?!?!? We enjoyed the music and entertainment at night (outside until 10:00) and the piano tunes at the ‘Wobbly Peacock’ (started at 10:30 each night). O’Shane consistently went out of his way to make the guests feel at home and entertain them. My husband enjoyed signing and dancing along with him (he even ripped his pants one night when he got caught up in the moment). All of the servers were friendly and would go out of their way to get you anything you wanted (even cookies and ice cream in bed at 11:00 p.m.). A special mention goes out to Natalia who made our dining experiences exceptionally enjoyable with her angelic voice. Our butlers (O’Rayne and Ricardo) were very helpful. Their special touches made our honeymoon extra special; they would often surprise us with candles, a warm bubble bath, a cheese plate or towel creations left throughout the room that put a smile on our faces.
One evening, we had the pleasure of going to see the Sandals’ staff Talent Show competition, which really showcased the talented staff that all Sandals resorts have; we were very impressed and enjoyed being a part of that.
We were pleased with our room – it had everything we needed and was very spacious. The spa is very relaxing and we used their facilitates along with the gym a few times. The manager (Mark) and assistant manager (Rui) on site were phenomenal. They both went out of their way to check in with the guests 2 – 3 times a day and they always had a smile on their faces. The beach is phenomenal and quiet and the Beach Butlers (Biggs and Cleon) are always circulating to make sure all of the guests are well hydrated ☺. The beach boys (Kevin and O’Neil) are very friendly and ready to take you on in a game of chess on the pier (my husband never won - but he enjoyed the challenge). We thoroughly recommend this hotel. Once we arrived home from our vacation, we received a phone call from Mark making sure we arrived safely. It’s quality service like this that leaves a standing impression and makes us want to return ASAP. After visiting some of the other Sandals resorts in the area, we really loved how small and quaint the Royal Plantation was; we were able to experience the relaxation that we had hoped for. During your visit at the resort, the staff really know who you are and there is always someone around to help you if you need it. We felt we developed a connection to the staff members and we were truly sad when we had to leave. We thoroughly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Cassie C, Review Coordinator at Sandals Royal Plantation, responded to this review, February 22, 2014
We're so thrilled to read of your awesome honeymoon at Sandals Royal Plantation. We strive to meet our motto: Luxury All-Inclusive Vacations for Two People in Love and I'm happy that we were able to do just that during your stay with us. I will be sure to share your comments with our wonderful staff. They will all be so happy to hear your kind mention.

Thank you for your review. We can't wait to welcome you back in the near future for another great vacation!

Happy Travels!
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2014

Our dates of travel were July- August 2013 for our honemoon. we really enjoyed this resort and the small, intimate and quiet atmosphere. the pool was not really that great but the beaches were wonderful. Adrien the beach butler was our fave guy. the food at the beach grill, upstairs at all the restaurants was fantastic and either 4-5 out of 5!!! even their beef patties at the beach grill were to die for!! the drinks were STRONG at the beach bar so keep that in mind, and the service was excellent at all locations of this resort. the butlers were fun, nice and helpful. we are super low maintenance and did not bother them much but they always called to check in with us if they hadn't heard from us and i appreciated it! there was a very nice pool at the sandals next door and it was more party party and big resort ish so you can get your fix of that if you need it right next door. we were lucky enough to attend a sandals staff talent show at the third sandals/golf course resort where we were transported that evening. it was fun and also a beautiful property. all in all, we had a romantic, relaxing chill vacation with exceptional food and service. Truly a 5 star resort with character and charm!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for your review! We're happy to know that you enjoyed your honeymoon at Sandals Royal Plantation. Your stay seemed to be an amazing one and we're so glad we were able to be a part of your experience.

We hope to see you again in a near future.

Been to Sandals Royal Plantation? Share your experiences!