“WOW - RP Gets it Right” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 39 hotels in Ocho Rios
Staten Island, New York
“WOW - RP Gets it Right”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

Royal Plantation – gets it right. There’s not one thing you can complain about.
They sent a private driver to collect us at the Montego Bay airport. They have a lounge with free drinks and the rep is very helpful. The ride was 1.5 hours, but it went fast as the driver explained the island on the way - we had a private ride. We arrived and the entrance is just lovely. You drive up to a circular driveway, the greenery is magnificent and it’s like entering someone’s mansion. You are greeted at the doorway and there is a small sitting area where they check you in. Peter Fraser, GM, greets you as well. You are offered a cocktail and cold towel and they have all your information, so you just show your cc and sign.

You meet your butler and they escort you to lunch (she could have showed us around the resort as other butlers did, but she dropped the ball here)
You walk through to where there is a terrace and you have to walk down about 20 steps to reach the Grill, located just off the beach.
Lunch was the best – all kinds of seafood, expertly prepared. The Grill is located three steps off the beach and the view and breeze were amazing. We ate most of our lunches here.
After lunch, ourbutler came to get us and showed us to our room. The room is beautiful. We chose the Great House with a french balcony. You walk in and there is a huge walk in closet and an outside sink. You enter the bathroom from there where there is a huge jacquizi tub, walk in shower and toilet. You then proceed into the room and there is a 4 poster bed. There is an armoire, 42 inch flat screen TV and your sitting area. The sitting area is great and large - - there are two comfy chairs that face the ocean and there is your French balcony. You open the doors, move your chairs up and it’s like a balcony! Just beautiful. You don’t miss a walkout balcony at all. The bar was stocked with everything we requested. Grey Goose Vodka, Heinkenen, Amaretto, etc. All top brands. Paul likes a special beer that the property didn’t have and they got it for him. The butler also offered to unpack for us but we did it ourselves. They will press your clothes too!

Our dinner reservations were all reserved prior to us getting there. Reservations aren't required, but it made it easier to have a schedule. The first night we were escorted to the restaurant – we chose the French. It was beautiful and you can sit in or out. The food was delicious – escargot, crab cakes, salads, rack of Lamb, Lobster, Duck, Steaks. Service matched the quality of food. You can order as much as you like. The wines are all Beringer – which were very good or you can pay and get something better.

After dinner, there is a lounge, the Wobbly Peacock – they play music and people sing along. The bartenders; Aiken, & Jason; the entertainers Jason & OShane - are the best and very friendly. They do tricks, talk with the guests, sing, and just make you feel so welcome. They serve food in there as well until 12 am. Room service is 24 hours and you can get almost anything from there. Coconute shrimp to die for! If you don't see it on the menu you can ask them to get it for you and they make every effort to get it.
Breakfast and dinner in the Terrace Restaurant. Breakfast was always freshly prepared and delicious. Dinner menus changed each night at this venue and there was always a band with a singer playing. They changed the entertainment every night. We ate there for the rest of the week and always enjoyed it. Very high quality food in all categories – appetizers, main and dessert (although the desserts didn’t fascinate me ) You can have lobster for breakfast, lunch and dinner if you want it. Just ask!
The beach: The beach is small but they have one on each wing of the property. The West wing, where we were was closest to the grill. It is more convenient if you wanted to get lunch there. The beach butlers never left you thirsty. Adrian -love your color coordination of sunglasses, sneakers and shrits! Colin you're the best! They work harder than the room butlers in my opinion. They bring you drinks, fruit, cool towels, lunch. The stretch is very small, but it works. The water is a little on the cool side, there are no rocks whatsoever and the sand is smooth although not white. the pool is small, but very elegant and beautifully situated with views of the ocean.
The massage was very good. Not a big spa – nothing fancy, but very good.
The catamaran – was almost cancelled but ended up going out and was a lot of fun.
Service – I cannot tell you how great the service at this resort is. You make one phone call and your request is handled immediately and with a smile. To know the GM is available and concerned if you’re having a good time is remarkable to me. The culture was inspiring. To see how genuinely happy they are to work there. The teamwork the resort instills is wonderful to see. Many employees have worked at this resort for 10 years or longer. My husband and I travel 4-5 times a year. We have gone to Europe, taken cruises, visited several Caribbean Islands and Royal Plantation has been our favorite spot. Thank you Mr. Fraser for your efforts at this resort - - you know how to do it!
If you are looking for a small, elegant hotel - this is the place for you. We are going back next November and can't wait. Debbie & Paul

Room Tip: We liked the Great House - it had a larger bathroom and sitting area. The whirlppol tub had no view...

1,264 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (273)
Park Rapids, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

My wife of 25 years and I just returned from a trip here traveling with great friends. It's a great place for rest, relaxation, and quiet. No crazy parties by the pool or loud music blaring on the beach. The service is fantastic! They were wonderfully overstaffed by enthusiastic people wanting to please! We never had to wait for drinks, the waitstaff was very attentive, and our butlers were great! The food quality and quantity was terrific. We especially enjoyed the French restaurant. The grounds are beautiful and kept spotless. It is very intimate, the opposite of a mega resort. We would definitely return! My friend and I completed our open water tests for our scuba certification. We taken very good care of by the instructor, Ike. We are told by the other divers on the boat that it wasn't great diving, but we liked it for our first experience.

Room Tip: First floor room on the east section has more obstructions like palm trees, but still great views of...
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

We just got back from the Royal Plantation. What a great, laid back, scenic experience. The place never seems crowded even though fully occupied. The staff are super attentive and super nice right down the line. The rooms are richly appointed and comfortable. The butlers are really helpful and ensure that your every whim is accommodated. If you plan to golf take your clubs because it's $60 a day if you don't. The golf is well organized and easy to do anytime. Loved it and would go back.

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Washington Township, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

My husband and I just returned from our honeymoon here and we could not have asked for a better experience. While it is about an hour and a half drive from the airport, it is completely worth it. Ocho Rios is definitely the place to stay in Jamaica if you plan on doing any excursions (horseback riding, Dunns River Falls, etc.) since all of these attractions are right near there. If you stay in other locations in Jamaica you may be traveling up to 2 hours just to get to your excursion for the day! When we stepped out of the shuttle we were greeted by an incredible ocean view and were immediately shown the hospitality and service that make this resort such a wonderful experience. Aside from our personal butlers (We love you Donard and Fiona!) the rest of the staff was also just as helpful and welcoming. Because the resort is small (only 74 rooms in total) you really feel that you are getting a personalized experience and after just a couple of days many of the staff members were acting like we had been there for months. Although the beach and pool area are relatively small, this really was not an issue since there are not that many guests. The beach butlers are also wonderful and made sure you always had a cold drink, fresh towels, or anything else you needed. At some all-inclusive resorts you find cheap food, cheap liquor, no wine, and limited access to all of these things. Not so at Royal Plantation. The food was amazing and we truly looked forward to every meal and anything you could have dreamed of to drink was available. I keep daydreaming about the Mangosas! I could go on and on but all you need to know is that you won't be disappointed by this beautiful, attentive, first-class resort. While we were there we booked a return trip just so we wouldn't feel so bad leaving! As we were driving away our butler, the hotel's manager as well as a few other staff members stood and waved until we were out of sight which just shows the kind of service you get there. We will be back!

Room Tip: All of the rooms are great because they are all ocean view and near to everything so you never have...
Mississauga, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Let me first say that anybody who writes a negative review of this property, obviously did not read reviews on this site before they went. Please take them with a grain of salt. Yes the property is very small. If someone couldn't figure that out from the reviews or a brochure, then they can't read.

My wife and I just got back on February 23rd from our honeymoon and have already booked next year's trip to Royal Plantation.

Our trip did not start off great as we were bumped from our over booked flight out of Toronto and had to spend 18 hrs in Charlotte, NC because of a snow storm. When we did arrive, it was 24 hrs later! Because we missed our first night, Sandals offered to extend our stay by one night or give us a free room night the next time we book. We chose the latter.

We were greeted at the Sandals lounge and within 15 minutes were on our way in a private car. Once we arrived, everybody was expecting us and knew us by name! Marcia was terrific in helping us get checked in. This isn't your typical hotel where you stand in line with 25 other people trying to check in. Here you sit on a couch while they serve your drinks as you fill out some paperwork. We were taken to our room where they had balloons and a congratulations sign on our door (for our honeymoon).

Once we were settled, our butler, Aaron came to greet us and show us around the property.

We met our second butler, Shelly the following day and she was fantastic.

The resort itself, is very small. It took me a day or two get used to the fact that there aren't a lot of people, no swim up bar and no buffet - things that I realized I didn't need! The fact that the property is small makes the service level outstanding and the food even better.

The main restaurants are Le Papillon, which is a french restaurant; The Tearrace, which has a different theme every night and the Royal Grill, which serves lunch and dinner by the water. We ate mostly at Le Papillon where the food was outstanding. Keep in mind you are in Jamaica and if you order steak it isn't going to be a high end $60 steak you would get at Ruth's Chris or Morton's. But relatively speaking, the food was the best I have had in the Carribean (I have been to Cuba, Domincan and Bahamas).

The service staff are very friendly and get to know you by name. Adrian and Cleon will be taking care of you on the beach and are extremely friendly. Oshane and Jason are the entertainment and litterally know every guest by first name.

If you are looking for a big resort, daily entertainment by the pool, loud music and a party atmosphere, this is NOT the place for you. You can get this by going next door to Sandals Grande Riviera, but I guaruntee you will not spend much time there. My wife and I walked over and quickly came back to the Royal Plantation.

The two beaches are very small but nice. If you like to beach walk, go somewhere else, maybe Negril. We never had any issues getting paddle boards or kayaks. We just walked up to the desk, signed them out and we were on our way.

Our butlers were good but not great. They did everything we asked but never went out of their way to impress us.

Overall, if you want a quiet, exclusive getaway where the noise is at a minimum and you are treated like royalty, this is the place for you.

One tip: if you want your butlers to get some food for you, realize it takes them time to organize it as you aren't the only one they are waiting on. For example, we figured out that if we wanted some appetizers in our room everyday at 5:00 pm, we called our butler at 3:00. Just a little planning ahead makes everything go flawlessly.

The only complaint I have is sometimes the service at the restaurants was a little slow. I asked for extra kethup or another drink and waited several minutes or had to ask again. But this wasn't enough to keep my wife and I from booking next year's vacation the day before we left to come home.

I didn't give the location 5 stars only because of the hour and a half drive from Montego Bay. But other than that, you can' beat this place once you get there.

One final note: there was some construction going on trying fix a few things that were damaged from the hurricane last Fall. It didn't really bother us a whole lot. I mean they have to fix it at some point!

Bottom line - book a week here and I promise you won't want to go anywhere else!

Room Tip: West side has better views. We had room 152. Next year we are going to try and get 158 or higher.
Lincolnshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

We have just returned from ten nights at the Plantation, I have to say when we arrived we were less than happy with a couple of things . The bath is tiny . The beach area was not so big either and pool was only big enough for 10 beds which people put books on at 8am all of these things I don't expect from this standard of hotel.

We did then decide to use the swimming pool at the sister hotel next door ,which had sunbeds in the pool which I liked.The pool area was large with a hot tub too.I enjoyed the fact we could use the facilities without having to stay there all the time.
I think the Royal Plantation should not allow anyone to place books on the sunbeds without laying there,being the fact there are not many beds.You could visit for 2 weeks and never get to sit at the pool.

We did on the remaining 4 days of our holiday sit at the plantation pool and it was a very nice area to be in.

Appart from the above the hotel was fantastic !!

The Staff at this hotel are the best I have ever come across in any hotel.The food is beautiful every night.We never had a bad meal at any point on our holiday. The food is fine dining every night, For those who calorie count ,this hotel may not be for you !

The staff at the hotel make this hotel one of the best they are dedicated to their work and love doing what they do . The Butlers we had were very good Shelly and Aaron. Shelly did those little unexpected things like leave a love heart made of rose petals on our bed with a few candles on the floor with petals scattered around,we had cheese and biscuits left in the room for when we arrived in from the pool .Nice touches.She left cake in the room for us and always made sure we had a full fridge full of champagne.

I have to say the entertaimants team and bar staff were also brilliant , They made every night a memorable one .O'Shane was great fun.

We normally have quiet holidays and meet a few people that we never keep contact with on our return but here I would say we have met some very good friends that we will meet up agian with at some point for a re-union.

I bought some duty free items there, Breitling watch and Cartier Ladies bag. Just to make you aware we priced everything up on our return .The prices there are cheaper by 25%. Buy Rum at the airport not at resort.

Overall great holiday ,we will visit again !!! for sure

Room Tip: Room 101- 105 too close to the bar
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

From the moment we stepped off the plane everything was taken care of. The Sandals employees whisked everyone to the proper transportation to their respective resorts.

Upon arrival to Royal Plantation we were greeted by friendly Sandals employees and offered drinks. Our room wasn't ready, but we waited for only 45 minutes in the Wobbly Peacock pub and munched on a delicious cheese pizza. After that it was smooth sailing (well, swimming and snorkeling).

The rooms are fantastic and look like the pictures. Big, comfy bed, windows that open to let in warm and sunshine, huge closet, nice TV (who needs it though?), mini bar with all the trappings and bathroom with "his & her's" sinks. Daily maid service and evening turndown service work to complete the feeling of total relaxation in the room.

Our butlers, Marvin and Jermaine, were great. They were warm, friendly and simply could not do enough for us. I felt like our butlers, along with all the resort staff, truly cared that my boyfriend and I had a great time.

The beach, while on the smaller side, is quiet, clean and has plenty of chairs and umbrellas. Make sure to chat with Adrian, the bartender. He is friendly and makes fabulous drinks. Also, all of the drinks are handmade. Nothing neon comes out of a slurpee machine at this resort.

This brings me to food. I highly recommend the jerk chicken or fish dishes. Also, anything that has fruits and vegetables is amazing as the veggies and fruits and are ripe, fresh and the best I have had in a long time.

The evening entertainment was great. To be honest I was worried the music would be cheesy. Not.at.all. The music was lively and set the mood for fantastic evenings.

I highly recommend this resort for a week vacation of relaxation, sunshine and warm weather.

If you are still reading here are some quick pointers:

Royal Plantation is not for those seeking a huge party or lively nightlife. It is a relaxation resport.

This resort is unlike other Sandals resorts due to its smaller size (70 rooms).

The food, while very good, is not the best I have ever had. However, it is still very good.

The people who come here seem very laid-back and relaxed.

I don't believe you can find a better resort in Jamaice for this price.

If you haven't already, book your vacation here!

Room Tip: 2nd or 3rd floor, for sure.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Sandals Royal Plantation? Share your experiences!