“Over the top!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 41 Hotels in Ocho Rios
Ocho Rios, Jamaica
“Over the top!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

Have never experienced anything like the Royal Plantation. Complete paradise. You will want for nothing. The butlers were beyond wonderful as well as any staff you encounter. If you want to be absolutely spoiled, you are at the right place.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (413)
Vancouver
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

It is hard for me to imagine going to another resort that I will enjoy as much! I echo all the accolades already expressed. At first, I thought it might be a little too quiet, but by the end I didn’t feel that way at all. What makes this resort truly special are the people. The staff's friendly, witty, encouraging banter sets a magical tone that is contagious, and creates a family feeling that penetrates your interactions with everyone – guests and staff alike. That takes a special kind of leadership!

Every employee we met was superb! Far too many to mention, but a special call out to those we came into contact most often – our butlers Donard and Fiona were attentive without smothering, Chase, Sean, Akein, Danielo and William all made our stay special. The talented team of Oshane (our Irish brother from a different mother) and Jason provided great entertainment. The musical talent of some of the musicians was among the best we’ve seen anywhere.

Our tips:
- Don’t be afraid to ask for anything.
- Reserve your beach chairs. I didn’t have the nerve to ask my butler to do this at some ungodly hour, so one morning I went out at 6:30 a.m. and 6 loungers were already being held with personal items.
- Get to know the staff. We made a point of regularly sitting at the beach bar and in the pub as the interaction with the bartenders was so great…it was a highlight of the trip.
- If you like scuba diving, Mouse and his crew are great. The best dive is the shipwreck as it also involves swimming through rock caverns.
- Take advantage of the spa….treatments were wonderful!

Our suggestion:
- We loved the piano bar, and would have liked to have the DJ one more time.

Some history:
Found the following history from the internet quite interesting. Enjoy!
“Throughout the years, this resort has always been a magnet for the rich, famous, privileged, powerful, aristocratic and worthy, such as various members of the British Royal Family, the Earl of Mansfield and Mansfield, Sir Winston Churchill, Richard Nixon, Pierre Trudeau, Prince Ernst of Hanover (the husband of Princess Caroline of Monaco), the younger brother of the Maharajah of Jaipur, Mr. & Mrs. Stanhope Joel, of the South African diamond dynasty, and Mrs. Coretta Scott King, the widow of Martin Luther King Jr.

Artists, art patrons and art lovers have always found a home at Royal Plantation, where, to this day, fine art weekends with world-renowned local artists occur monthly and exquisite, original paintings line the walls. The tradition began in the 1950’s when English playwright, Noel Coward, would often bring guests here to dine from his nearby home, Firefly, on the inn’s gourmet cuisine. And popular author, Ian Fleming, would take breaks from writing his James Bond novels and come here from his house, Goldeneye, to enjoy the amiable company and gourmet fare. Richmond Barthe, the renowned American sculptor, frequently stayed here as well.

In the 21st Century Royal Plantation’s reputation for excellence and opulence has been resuscitated and rejuvenated by its current owner, the internationally renowned hotelier and entrepreneur, Gordon “Butch” Stewart, who purchased the inn in 2000 and rapidly restored it to its former glory. A native of Ocho Rios, who spent his formative years in this very town, Stewart spent his childhood dreaming of owning this sublimely sophisticated resort—today his wishes have been fulfilled beyond even his wildest expectations.”

Room Tip: All rooms with french sliders are wonderful. We didn't feel the need to upgrade.
Delaware
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

When we first arrived I was actually upset at the size of the property. My husband and I had stayed next door at the Grande Riviera and the possibilities were limitless there because the resort was huge but it was very noisy and had more of a party atmosphere than we were looking for in terms of our anniversary trip this year. So needless to say I thought we would be incredibly bored at the Royal Plantation. I couldn't have been any more incorrect. We found the size of the hotel to be perfect for us! And it was great for a couple looking to relax for a week and escape from our very busy lives.

The Terrace offers a different menu 3 nights a week and listen to me people: Don't miss Italian night! You could fill up at the Antipasta bar alone and there is still soup and an entree to be had. The french restaurant was delicious and the Grill down by the beach was also very good for dinner so be sure to head down there at least once.

I need to emphasize how fantastic the staff is at this resort. As the manager said, there is never the word 'no' here. If you want it, they'll figure out a way to accomodate you. The service in the restaurants is top notch, the servers know not to reach in front of you and they never rush you to get through your meal. It was so refreshing, American restaurant owners could take some lessons from the service at the Royal Plantation.

Our butlers were friendly and helpful but didn't hover us which we liked. We noticed some people running their butlers ragged but we liked that we only saw ours 2 or 3 times a day.

The spa was very nice, I had a massage and a body wrap and over a week later my skin is still soft!

I would agree with others that have said there is an older crowd at the Royal Plantation but my husband and I are in our 30's and we never felt we were out of place. We actually went to bed earlier than some of the couples twice our age. :)

Remember also, you can dine at any of the restaurants next door at the Grande Riviera so if you've been there before and you're dying to get back to Kimono's or Kelly's, just let your butler know and they'll drive you over and pick you up.

Oh, and I have to compliment the water sports staff at the Royal Plantation also! They were all SO NICE! They were helpful and sweet.

If you're looking to party all day and night, I would stay at the Grande Riviera. If you're looking for a relaxing vacation where you don't have to duke it out in the morning for a lounge chair on the beach, stay at the Royal Plantation. My only complaint is that I really feel like the resort needs a 2nd pool, perhaps in the area of the tennis courts that are rarely used. :) Everything else is perfect.

Norwich, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

Quite possibly the best hotel we've ever stayed in. The service was fantastic, all the staff are very friendly and work hard to make sure visitors feel welcome and enjoy everything the hotel has to offer. There are some who definitely seemed to be more like friends to us than staff by the time we left.
I was worried that the butler service would feel a little awkward but it wasn't how I'd imagined and they were wonderful....it was fun to come back to our room on a couple of occasions and find they'd left us a surprise like a bubble bath or petals on the bed.
The bed was the most comfortable bed I've ever slept in so every night was a great night's sleep. The rooms are big and we had a lovely view from the second floor. Only slight negative point for the room was not having a proper balcony but it wasn't a big problem for us.
The food was outstanding at every place we ate in. I think the evening we spent at the beach grill was our favourite meal - the surf and turf was amazing. It was also great that the alcohol being served was 'branded' alcohol and not budget 'paint stripper' like you get in a lot of AI resorts. We found that Sean the barman also makes fabulous cocktails. We also enjoyed the DJ set night in the pub when the staff seemed to really enjoy dancing the night away!
The grounds are beautiful and the beaches are kept very clean. One of the issues we found is that people will 'reserve' their sun loungers for an entire day and a lot of these actually remain unused for most of the day. We did find that one couple had 'reserved' 2 sun loungers on one of the beaches whilst at the same time they were using the loungers on the other beach! At busy times it can be hard to find free loungers although the beach staff will try to help you find/move some as long as they aren't 'reserved'.
The main negative for us was that the pool is very small but it is a very short walk along the beach to get to the larger Grand Riviera hotel next door and use their larger facilities and this worked well for us and it was nice to go and spend some time at the more lively Riviera but equally nice to then return to the very tranquil RP.
Overall we had a lovely stay and I would absolutely love to come back one day and recommend that if you're looking for luxury in Jamaica you look no further than this hotel. It won't disappoint.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

We always used trip advisor in the selection of our travels but it is the first time we have decided to write a review. We have never stayed at a sandels property and were reluctant.... However, the royal plantation exceeded all of our expectations! The property is small but beautiful, with magnificent views, lush gardens, serene beaches, and always well manicured. The staff... There aren't words to describe how wonderful all the staff is. You are greeted day one by warm smiles and were sent home-off by waving smiles from our new "friends". We felt like we were leaving a good friends house, not a resort. A special thanks to; Cleon on the beach, OSean to keeping the night life fun for all, the wobbley peacock bartender Sean (recommend the drink seantastic!) for keeping the cocktails flowing into the evening, our butlers (audelle and tafari) and William for doing such a great job managing the bar and amazing food. There is also one special person who made our trip and words just can't thank enough... jermaine who sits on the beach and handles beach chairs, water sports,etc. I managed to lose my engagement ring in the ocean! Jermaine grabbed a snorkel and after 30 minutes of search and directing all the wonderful guests who came in to help us, he found my engagement ring deep in the ocean waters! It was delivered with a hug and a smile.

The only downside we experienced was with the wine selection. The included wines were limited and the wines available for purchase were limited, often out of stock and overpriced....

We have been to many high end resorts, and the royal plantation is truley a special place. I have always been one to always want to try something new regardless in my travels, but the royal plantation is one place that I won't forget and look forward to my return and return again in the years to come. If you are looking for a beautiful resort with top notch food, spa, service, people and the type of place you will think about the return while you are still there... The royal plantation is for you!

Zurich, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

We loved our first Sandals vacation and are not sure there can be another resort that comes close to the Royal Plantation. A very special thank you to our butlers Jermaine and Marvin who made our stay an incredible experience. Thank you also to William who does an amazing job managing the food and beverages and who constantly made sure we wanted for nothing. We found the food to be excellent whether it be breakfast on the terrace, room service, beach grill or the amazing fine dining experience at the Le Papillon Restaurant. We look forward to going back in the future.

Reading, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

This was our second visit to this hotel, after the first we, simply, could not envisage finding anywhere nicer and so chose to return. The rooms, the beaches, the food and the grounds are all wonderful but what makes this place is the wonderful staff.

For ten days, with 3 meals a day, countless drinks and various other requests, we interacted with a variety of staff on hundreds of occassions and without fail, every single membe of staff of every single occassion was smiling, friendly and keen to help in any way possible. I have never experienced anything that comes close anywhere else in my entire life. If you are looking for a peaceful stay and plenty of relaxation, I literally, could not recommend this hotel more.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Sandals Royal Plantation? Share your experiences!