“Unbelievably amazing customer service” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Up to $335 Air Credit!
Ranked #3 of 39 hotels in Ocho Rios
Delaware
“Unbelievably amazing customer service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

When we first arrived I was actually upset at the size of the property. My husband and I had stayed next door at the Grande Riviera and the possibilities were limitless there because the resort was huge but it was very noisy and had more of a party atmosphere than we were looking for in terms of our anniversary trip this year. So needless to say I thought we would be incredibly bored at the Royal Plantation. I couldn't have been any more incorrect. We found the size of the hotel to be perfect for us! And it was great for a couple looking to relax for a week and escape from our very busy lives.

The Terrace offers a different menu 3 nights a week and listen to me people: Don't miss Italian night! You could fill up at the Antipasta bar alone and there is still soup and an entree to be had. The french restaurant was delicious and the Grill down by the beach was also very good for dinner so be sure to head down there at least once.

I need to emphasize how fantastic the staff is at this resort. As the manager said, there is never the word 'no' here. If you want it, they'll figure out a way to accomodate you. The service in the restaurants is top notch, the servers know not to reach in front of you and they never rush you to get through your meal. It was so refreshing, American restaurant owners could take some lessons from the service at the Royal Plantation.

Our butlers were friendly and helpful but didn't hover us which we liked. We noticed some people running their butlers ragged but we liked that we only saw ours 2 or 3 times a day.

The spa was very nice, I had a massage and a body wrap and over a week later my skin is still soft!

I would agree with others that have said there is an older crowd at the Royal Plantation but my husband and I are in our 30's and we never felt we were out of place. We actually went to bed earlier than some of the couples twice our age. :)

Remember also, you can dine at any of the restaurants next door at the Grande Riviera so if you've been there before and you're dying to get back to Kimono's or Kelly's, just let your butler know and they'll drive you over and pick you up.

Oh, and I have to compliment the water sports staff at the Royal Plantation also! They were all SO NICE! They were helpful and sweet.

If you're looking to party all day and night, I would stay at the Grande Riviera. If you're looking for a relaxing vacation where you don't have to duke it out in the morning for a lounge chair on the beach, stay at the Royal Plantation. My only complaint is that I really feel like the resort needs a 2nd pool, perhaps in the area of the tennis courts that are rarely used. :) Everything else is perfect.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

1,344 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (307)
Norwich, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

Quite possibly the best hotel we've ever stayed in. The service was fantastic, all the staff are very friendly and work hard to make sure visitors feel welcome and enjoy everything the hotel has to offer. There are some who definitely seemed to be more like friends to us than staff by the time we left.
I was worried that the butler service would feel a little awkward but it wasn't how I'd imagined and they were wonderful....it was fun to come back to our room on a couple of occasions and find they'd left us a surprise like a bubble bath or petals on the bed.
The bed was the most comfortable bed I've ever slept in so every night was a great night's sleep. The rooms are big and we had a lovely view from the second floor. Only slight negative point for the room was not having a proper balcony but it wasn't a big problem for us.
The food was outstanding at every place we ate in. I think the evening we spent at the beach grill was our favourite meal - the surf and turf was amazing. It was also great that the alcohol being served was 'branded' alcohol and not budget 'paint stripper' like you get in a lot of AI resorts. We found that Sean the barman also makes fabulous cocktails. We also enjoyed the DJ set night in the pub when the staff seemed to really enjoy dancing the night away!
The grounds are beautiful and the beaches are kept very clean. One of the issues we found is that people will 'reserve' their sun loungers for an entire day and a lot of these actually remain unused for most of the day. We did find that one couple had 'reserved' 2 sun loungers on one of the beaches whilst at the same time they were using the loungers on the other beach! At busy times it can be hard to find free loungers although the beach staff will try to help you find/move some as long as they aren't 'reserved'.
The main negative for us was that the pool is very small but it is a very short walk along the beach to get to the larger Grand Riviera hotel next door and use their larger facilities and this worked well for us and it was nice to go and spend some time at the more lively Riviera but equally nice to then return to the very tranquil RP.
Overall we had a lovely stay and I would absolutely love to come back one day and recommend that if you're looking for luxury in Jamaica you look no further than this hotel. It won't disappoint.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

We always used trip advisor in the selection of our travels but it is the first time we have decided to write a review. We have never stayed at a sandels property and were reluctant.... However, the royal plantation exceeded all of our expectations! The property is small but beautiful, with magnificent views, lush gardens, serene beaches, and always well manicured. The staff... There aren't words to describe how wonderful all the staff is. You are greeted day one by warm smiles and were sent home-off by waving smiles from our new "friends". We felt like we were leaving a good friends house, not a resort. A special thanks to; Cleon on the beach, OSean to keeping the night life fun for all, the wobbley peacock bartender Sean (recommend the drink seantastic!) for keeping the cocktails flowing into the evening, our butlers (audelle and tafari) and William for doing such a great job managing the bar and amazing food. There is also one special person who made our trip and words just can't thank enough... jermaine who sits on the beach and handles beach chairs, water sports,etc. I managed to lose my engagement ring in the ocean! Jermaine grabbed a snorkel and after 30 minutes of search and directing all the wonderful guests who came in to help us, he found my engagement ring deep in the ocean waters! It was delivered with a hug and a smile.

The only downside we experienced was with the wine selection. The included wines were limited and the wines available for purchase were limited, often out of stock and overpriced....

We have been to many high end resorts, and the royal plantation is truley a special place. I have always been one to always want to try something new regardless in my travels, but the royal plantation is one place that I won't forget and look forward to my return and return again in the years to come. If you are looking for a beautiful resort with top notch food, spa, service, people and the type of place you will think about the return while you are still there... The royal plantation is for you!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Zurich, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

We loved our first Sandals vacation and are not sure there can be another resort that comes close to the Royal Plantation. A very special thank you to our butlers Jermaine and Marvin who made our stay an incredible experience. Thank you also to William who does an amazing job managing the food and beverages and who constantly made sure we wanted for nothing. We found the food to be excellent whether it be breakfast on the terrace, room service, beach grill or the amazing fine dining experience at the Le Papillon Restaurant. We look forward to going back in the future.

Reading, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

This was our second visit to this hotel, after the first we, simply, could not envisage finding anywhere nicer and so chose to return. The rooms, the beaches, the food and the grounds are all wonderful but what makes this place is the wonderful staff.

For ten days, with 3 meals a day, countless drinks and various other requests, we interacted with a variety of staff on hundreds of occassions and without fail, every single membe of staff of every single occassion was smiling, friendly and keen to help in any way possible. I have never experienced anything that comes close anywhere else in my entire life. If you are looking for a peaceful stay and plenty of relaxation, I literally, could not recommend this hotel more.

Davenport, Iowa, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

We returned to the Royal Plantation October 2012 for our 10 year Anniversary, after having spent our Honeymoon there in 2002. It was everything we remembered and MORE! The road from Montego Bay from Ocho Rios was very much improved and our driver was pleasant and very good. Upon arrival, we truly felt like we had returned home. The thing that truly sets this resort apart from others is the service; all the employee's seem genuinely happy to work there, and it really shows in their service. Nothing is too small to ask for. My husband had never tried a fresh coconut and upon asking for one, he received it within minutes. It was small things like this, and the wonderful room turn downs that make you feel extra special. Staying at the Royal Plantation is like living in an opulent, old world home where your every whim is satisfied immediately.

Room: We always book the lowest cost room at any resort as we spend very little time there, we like to live on the beach. The room was still quite nice, with a lovely sitting room, a VERY comfy bed, and a fully stocked fridge. Just tell them what you want in it and it will be there.

Food: The food at this resort is over the top. I have Celiac Disease and cannot tolerate any gluten. My husband is a Pescatarian ( vegetarian with fish ). We both had amazing food at every meal. Whether it was La Pappilion, The Terrace, or the Royal Grill, everything was great. My husband had the best lobster of his life at Jamaica Night ( Fridays ), the mango chutney and French Onion soup stand out in my mind. My favorite part was needing gluten free food can be stressful, and I lugged several safety items with me. Soon, I discovered that they delighted in serving me up GF lemon cake, or a sorbet and fruit, a GF choc cake, nothing was too much to ask for. I loved being able to completely relax, order what I wanted, know it would come out GF, and I was never once sick. I say the Food and Beverage Manager Frederico made it all seamless.

Beach: This is what I came to Jamaica for. The view is so stunning it is hard to get involved in my book, or any conversation. We love wading and the 2 beaches are perfect for this and searching for nature nuggets. The beaches are immaculately groomed every few hours. The East beach is the watersports area, and slightly more laid back. The West Beach has a Bar and diner, and is a bit rowdier, Sea Turtles hatched on the west beach but we missed it! Though both beaches are somewhat smaller, it is never a problem to get a place to lay. The resort never seems to have many people, it offers true respite from the world. Drinks are never hard to get, and sometimes mid morning or afternoon, they bring fruit skewers.
On the far west beach, beyond the giant chess, is a fresh water spring with a stone tub built over it. The water is very cold and can feel very good at mid day when it is hot and humid. Only for the brave!

Trips: If we had it to do over again, we would truly do less trips but only because being at the Royal starts to become a standard by which all else pales. We did enjoy Dolphin Cove ( 10 minutes away ) and enjoyed Dolphin Touch in the tank, but couldn't wait to return "home ". It was the same the next day when we visited Mystic Mountain for the Sky Explorer ( also 10 minutes away ) but it was the same. While the views were outstanding, we could hardly wait to return to our slice of heaven. Lastly, we booked an outside Island Routes trip with a private driver ( arranged by out butler Garey, at a great price ) to Glistening Waters ( 1 hour one way to Falmouth ). You must go in the evening, but it is one of 4 -5 places in the world where the water glows with bioluminesence. Tiny micro organisms make this truly magical. You can swim in the water, it is a bay and the water is calm, silty bottom, about 5 feet deep. VERY COOL, and worth the $25 each person + cab fare. One another note, the Grande Riviera next door to the Royal can be reached by a short 5 minute walk along the beach, or a short shuttle at any time. However, to us, the Grande had an overcrowded hotel feel, very much a party resort, and for our part, we had become spoiled by staff who treated us like they were glad to see us every time. It would be good for anyone who is unhappy with the more sedate feel at the Royal. On the other hand, the Wobbley Peacock, the bar at the Royal, could get pretty exciting some evenings!

Butlers : It may seem over the top, and you don't use them very very much, but it is nice when they give you your personal phone to reach them at any time, for any reason. They work in teams, and we were so pleased with ours : Garey and Kenton. They will make sure you have your dinners arranged, spruce your room up most night, and help with any trips you want. These folks can receive tips when you check out, and while it may seem un - all inclusive, these guys really earn it.

Atmosphere: The peacocks are a delight. We loved watching these mascots roost for the night and they will steal your home fries at breakfast. The grounds are breathtaking and I will say the library is lacking. Bring your own books! I left two spicy romances behind on accident, and I hope they made their way to the library. If you find them, enjoy. You're welcome. Your spouse may thank you too. The employees always seem to meet your every need, while also taking the time to talk to you on many subjects and share with you about their island and their daily lives. I really feel like we made life long friends. You never felt like anyone rushed anything, or you were bothering anyone, yet always the promptness! The nightly entertainments were always fun, the talents were remarkable. The party would go on the terrace til 10 -11pm ,and then continue in the bar. Sometimes people were having quite a good time, despite the small crowd. My husband and I, though in our 30's. aren't big party people, and would often spend after dinner swimming in the pool while the live music plays feet away, and eventually sip cocktails while reclining in the hot tub, watching lightening off in the distance over the ocean. The gaslights burning nearby add that extra touch. Quite romantic and we were able to relax as were never have before. Even other guests are wonderful, one British woman gave me all the daily newsletters that arrive in suite nightly after I lost mine. I love to save these little things, and at tea time, when she heard me lamenting this, she gave them to me ( just as Sherrill surprised me with a gluten free delicacy without me needing to ask ). This place is paradise.

Possible Downsides: The two beaches may seem small, but with only 70 some rooms, there is always plenty of room. The pool is smaller too. Some people seem to really care about this. Personally, I can't understand wanting to be at a pool when there are two gorgeous beaches to lounge at. I like that the maximum depth is 5 feet, but some people may not like this either. If a big pool is important, you can scoot over to the Grande next door. Their beaches cannot compare to the beaches at the Royal.

Weather: A tropical depression was breaking up as we arrived and it looked like it would rain all the time we were there from weather reports. For our first vacation alone with no kids in 10 years, we were hoping for better. However, as they told us upon arrival, rain in Jamaica is liquid sunshine. And they were right, it was warm. When it would happen, it was almost always over within 30 minutes. It was, as they say, no problem. The day we were leaving, staff was rushing around with an " Oh Crap" look in their eye. This was Tuesday. On Wednesday, Hurricane Sandy hit the resort. We were anxious to know all our dear ones were fine, and they were. It does seem we were almost certainly the last couple to renew their vows on that particular gazebo, as it was destroyed in the storm. We did this on our own, with no fanfare although the resort does have packages. It was our choice to do it like that.

If anything this resort seems to have improved over time. Their attentiveness to my dietary needs was especially great. So many people to name and thank : Frederico - food and beverage manager, Supratik - manager, Lucian, Both Adrians - beach butler and Terrace Adrian ( who makes your AM fruit smoothies YUM ) Taniqua, Sherrill, Richard - the boat captain who comforted me after my failed attempt at snorkling ( ALL my fault, I was trying to push myself but I cannot swim ), and so many more. We cannot wait to return to our home away from home.

Room Tip: East Wing is quieter, 2nd or 3d floor
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Pittsburgh,Pa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

To say I read many, many reviews on TA before booking this trip would be an understatement. I am going to attempt to pay it forward by adding my 2 cents. I agree with almost all of the previous reviews so with this in mind, I will try to add some different information. WARNING: There will be spoilers!

ABOUT US- My wife and I usually take 2 trips a year. Usually to a tropical type of beach location. We have been to various parts of Mexico about 6 times over the last 3 years and we wanted to try a different locale. I am in my late 40s and what I look for in a resort is: A smaller resort, quiet beach with no music during the day-we want to hear the ocean, no seaweed/rocks in the ocean as I spend a lot of time swimming, good food and drink, and some semblance of a night life. We received all of this and more at SRP.

TRAVEL INFO: We used Dana at Twinsburg Travel and she did a great job! She made sure that everything was taken care of and our trip went smoothly!!

AIRPORT-- We never like to travel to a foreign country on a Saturday due to long lines at Customs & Immigrations, but we had to due to work related reasons. We arrived on 1/12 and departed on 1/19. We arrived at 11 a.m. on Saturday and the airport was very quiet! We arrived at the Sandals lounge in the airport within 20 minutes from the time we landed--this included going through Immigrations, retrieving our luggage and going through Customs. We waited at the lounge for 10 minutes and then we were off to the resort (we even had to take our glass of champagne "to go"!). We had one other couple in the van with us and the ride was an uneventful 90 minutes. The driver asked if we wanted to stop for beer, food or restrooms but we declined.

Check-In-- this has been discussed in other reviews in detail. To summarize, check in was a breeze. We we offered a cool wet wash cloth & rum punch ( you get your choice of drink) greeting. Our butler arrived within 5 minutes and asked if we would like a tour of the property, or would we like lunch first. We opted for the tour, and then he took us to our room. He arrived with our luggage 5 minutes later, offered to unpack for us (we declined) after which we went to lunch and then the beach!

AMBIANCE-- I work with the public (Software Sales) and although I usually end up socializing with other guests while on vacation, we prefer to have peace and quiet when we seek it, especially during the day at the beach where we want to hear the sounds of the ocean and swim, read and nap! At some point in every trip we take, this is usually interrupted by a person or group of people who have had to much to drink, or feel compelled to loudly share their life history with everyone within 30 yards or earshot. I don't know how SRP does it, but the ambiance during the day, each and every day, was of peace and quiet. We did joke around and have some fun banter with the water sports guys and the beach (butlers) bartenders but there was never any loud disturbances! At night, that was a different story and we always enjoyed seeing the live music from 830- 10 00 and then having a drink or two at the Wobbly Peacock--there we either joked around with the bartenders or listened to the pianist, or joined along in the piano sing-alongs. We usually were back in our room by 11 except for reggae night on Saturday--the place was hopping and we enjoyed speaking with another couple we met that night.

WEATHER--As I mentioned we were there from 1/12 to 1/19. It rained the first day of arrival We didnt even mind--we played pool and just hung out and had a lazy day. The other days were perfect. It was in the low 80s but there was a nice breeze every now and then which was very pleasant. I usually get kind of warm in tropical climes and at night it was a bit humid. Nothing unbearable though and by 8ish it would start to cool down into the low 70s.

FOOD--we did not have one bad meal. Breakfast was always excellent--we really liked the granola covered french toast. I had lox and bagels often and the lox was good quality. We had reserved 3 dinners at Le Pappilion--we reserved this before we left for vacation and had no issues with our reservation. Although the food was good (we are foodies) keep in mind that this is still an All-Inclusive Resort and it still was not the same as going to a fancy restaurant in the US. Some things I found to be very good--jerk chicken, jerk pork, jamaican patties. and other were mediocre--fillet mignon (not USAD beef?), lamb chops (cut very thin, not thick). As everyone else said--we loved the Coconut Shrimp on the lunch menu at the Royal Cafe and the Chocolate Pudding (lava cake) at Le Pappilion. Then again food is such a subjective issue and my likes/dislikes would vary greatly with yours. We did notice that all of the soups we had were great!

DRINKS-- we like a few drinks at night but are not big day-time drinkers. We did imbibe in the round of morning Mangosas (champagne and Mango juice) and occasionally had a frozen drink. We found the frozen drinks to be of varying amounts of alcohol: The Jamaican Smile seemed to have very little alcohol, whereas sometimes my Pina Colada was swimming in rum (yum) and sometimes it was weak. Sean, one of the bartenders at the Wobbly Peacock (who is FANTASTIC!) made me a couple of Mojitos during our stay and one night he recommended a Diamond Mojito--which is made with honey instead of sugar. It was fantastic! So my new drink of choice the entire stay was a Diamond Mojtio. They use fresh mint in the Mojitos too! My impression was that a majority of the day-time drinks were weaker whereas night-time drinks were fine. But with there being the ocean, pool. wet sidewalks etc during the day, maybe this wasnt a bad thing for those who like to drink in quantity during the day.

OCEAN--I spent a lof of time in the ocean and the sand was soft, the waves were pleasant and the water temp was great. It wasn't so warm that it wasn't refreshing, but after about a minute I was used to the temp.
NOTE: We only ran into 2 cases of "chair-hogging" (person with the pink knapsack, you know who you are--why?) and we found that this practice was not necessary at all. One person with a pink knapsack "reserved" a palapa that we were going to use, but we found a spot elsewhere. The issue was when "pink-knapsack person" showed up a couple of hours later, she took her knapsack from the spot and then moved to a different location altogether-never using the spot she "reserved"! You know what they say about Karma though. She chose 2 chairs and didnt put anything on the 2nd chair to save it. While she was away (in the ocean etc) a guest who didn't realize it, took her unsaved chair and moved it to another location, leaving her mate without a chair. KARMA! In another instance, a person left their shirt on a chair and one day the pickings were slim(at around 1030-11 a.m.) I asked the beach attendant if the shirt had been there awhile and he said it had so he took it away and I sat there. No one ever approached me about it. Other than those 2 instances, we sat where we wanted every day with no problem getting shade and our seating of choice at 1030 -11 .

SPA- we had a complimentary couples massage with our package and it was excellent. We arrived early and spent some time in the sauna and steam room. This was not co-ed, but the massage was of course. I had Ernestine who did a great job and applied just the right amount of pleasure. She seemed to find all of the knots that needed to be unknotted! My wife had Aretha and said she did a wonderful job too!

STAFF: there was not one employee there who we did not find charming. Even the gardner says "hello". There were some staff who started out with a stiff, professional demeanor, but once we would talk to them , joke with them, they would come out of their shell! Here are some of the staff we loved:

SEAN--bartender at the Wobbly Peacock. He was professional and funny! Be sure to try his signature drinks--one was the Seantastic which is akin to a tropical Cosmpolitan, but the one we really liked, he didnt have a name for yet. It was a chilled concoction of coffee, rum, Baileys and other secret ingredients. We helped him name it: The Sh-mazing! So be sure to ask for a Sh-mazing--you won't be disappointed.

Akein--(sp?) He was a bartender at the WP too. My wife loved his smile--which was constant and I must agree that he was a pleasure.

Lisa-Gay: Lisa took such good care of us at breakfast and lunch that we looked forward to seeing her each day! We miss you Lisa!

Natalia--Natalia is the hostess at various restaurants at SRP and she was always fulll of bubbly energy.

Sheldon and Stephon at Watersports--You guys rock! They took us out on the complimentary glass bottom boat ride and they were full of information about various types of coral and they also gave us details of the various types of hotels we passed. Sheldon would see us coming to the beach each morning and would be waiting for us with towels ready to go! Thank you so much Sheldon for taking such good care of us!

Adrian & Cleon--these guys are the beach butlers and walk around carrying trays of drinks back and forth in the hot sun--with a smile at all times. We really like joking with them! Adrian called me Uncle J so I called him Cousin A. He was great!

Audell and Tafari--Our butlers. We had several nights that these guys "hooked us up"! One night we came back to our room and the radio was on (a romantic station of course)?! My wife and I didnt remember turning on the radio. When we went into the bathroom it was adorned with petals every where, a bubble bath with petasl and champagne on ice, along with an eletctric candle! Wow! They also did similar towel decorations, flower petals etc on 2 other nights. They do give you a cell phone to call them for any reason, but after 2 days I just left the phone in our room. We would bump into them from time to time during our stay and we really wanted for nothing. I did call once to ask for a snack of cheese, fruit and crackers to be left one afternoon which they happily obliged. I also called to changed some restaurant reservations/times. On the last night we were left our bill which included 187.00 USD in golfing charges. We don't golf! I called the butler Tafari and he said it was a mistake and took care of fixing it without my involvement.

ENTERTAINMENT--we did nothing during the day except some water sports, although there is some light activities available. At night they have live music. 3 events not to miss-Rojjah--an excellent reggae singer. Peter Loy--he sings and does an interesting explanatory history of reggae music. DO NOT MISS the Jamaican cultural night on Friday--I won't spoil it--just don't miss it!

AIRPORT HOME--we arrived at the airport around 1 pm for a 330 Saturday departure. As expected the airport was hot and crowded. We waited in line to print our boarding passes at a kiosk for about 15 minutes. Then we waited in line to drop off our luggage for about 45 mins. We purchased the Club Mobay tickets well in advance for 31 USD each and we were escorted through all of the customs/immigrations lines directly to the front of the line and then walked on our own to Club Mobay. Club Mobay was nice and air-conditioned and we ate finger sandwiches for lunch, had some sodas and even took some little bags of peanuts and crackers to eat on our flight. We did notice that some of the people waiting in the long customs/immigrations line made some rude comments--such as "who are they?", "how dare they!" etc , I found that kind of fun!

SUMMARY--we will definitely be back. What I found amazing was other than the billing error which was immediately resolved, we did not have one issue or complaint! Usually something goes awry during our vacations: room not made up for a day, run out of shampoo, something, Not so at SRP.

We loved the peace, the vibe, the "chillaxin" as one of the staff mentioned.

Joel & Susan F. Room #305

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Sandals Royal Plantation? Share your experiences!