When we first arrived I was actually upset at the size of the property. My husband and I had stayed next door at the Grande Riviera and the possibilities were limitless there because the resort was huge but it was very noisy and had more of a party atmosphere than we were looking for in terms of our anniversary trip this year. So needless to say I thought we would be incredibly bored at the Royal Plantation. I couldn't have been any more incorrect. We found the size of the hotel to be perfect for us! And it was great for a couple looking to relax for a week and escape from our very busy lives.
The Terrace offers a different menu 3 nights a week and listen to me people: Don't miss Italian night! You could fill up at the Antipasta bar alone and there is still soup and an entree to be had. The french restaurant was delicious and the Grill down by the beach was also very good for dinner so be sure to head down there at least once.
I need to emphasize how fantastic the staff is at this resort. As the manager said, there is never the word 'no' here. If you want it, they'll figure out a way to accomodate you. The service in the restaurants is top notch, the servers know not to reach in front of you and they never rush you to get through your meal. It was so refreshing, American restaurant owners could take some lessons from the service at the Royal Plantation.
Our butlers were friendly and helpful but didn't hover us which we liked. We noticed some people running their butlers ragged but we liked that we only saw ours 2 or 3 times a day.
The spa was very nice, I had a massage and a body wrap and over a week later my skin is still soft!
I would agree with others that have said there is an older crowd at the Royal Plantation but my husband and I are in our 30's and we never felt we were out of place. We actually went to bed earlier than some of the couples twice our age. :)
Remember also, you can dine at any of the restaurants next door at the Grande Riviera so if you've been there before and you're dying to get back to Kimono's or Kelly's, just let your butler know and they'll drive you over and pick you up.
Oh, and I have to compliment the water sports staff at the Royal Plantation also! They were all SO NICE! They were helpful and sweet.
If you're looking to party all day and night, I would stay at the Grande Riviera. If you're looking for a relaxing vacation where you don't have to duke it out in the morning for a lounge chair on the beach, stay at the Royal Plantation. My only complaint is that I really feel like the resort needs a 2nd pool, perhaps in the area of the tennis courts that are rarely used. :) Everything else is perfect.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- •All suite resort and all are serviced by butlers trained by the Guild of Professional English Butlers•2 private beaches with beach butler service•The Caribbean’s only Champagne and Caviar Bar•Exquisite International, Mediterranean, Caribbean and French cuisine•24 hour in suite dining•Complimentary transfers from this resort to all Sandals Resorts•Voted Sandals Resorts “World Leading All-Inclusive Company” 16 years in a row•Voted Sandals Resorts “Caribbean’s Leading Hotel Brand” 18 years in a row•Five Star Diamond Award - American Academy of Hospitality Sciences ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Orbitz, BookIt.com, Amex, Tingo, Cheap Tickets, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Travelocity and Otel so you can book your Sandals Royal Plantation reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sandals Royal Plantation Hotel Ocho Rios
- Royal Plantation Ocho Rios
- Royal Plantation Jamaica
- Sandals Royal Plantation Jamaica/Ocho Rios