My husband and I just returned from our babymoon here. I was recommended this resort by my good friend who is a luxury travel agent. She said that compared to the other Sandals, this one was considered one of the top ones. The resort is small so I would not stay here for more than 3-4 nights. You can go next store but I found that it was more of a party scene there and RP was alot more quiet. There are only 3 restaurants on site so by the end, I was getting sick of the food. The Terrace restaurant was a buffet style changing up the theme of the food each night (Jamaica, Mediterranean, Grilled seafood/steaks). Then there was Le Pappillion -fine dining French Carribean style food. open for dinner only(Get the chocolate pudding with ice cream - so good!). The last restaurant was the beach side cafe - good for lunches (I recommend the lobster BLT and hummingbird drink which I did not see on the menu). The food in general at this resort was pretty good. Breakfast and Le Pappillion were my favorite. There was also tea time from 4-5pm everyday. The scones and cookies were tasty. There are 2 small beaches at the resort. One of the beaches offered the motorized sports so the water is a bit murkier and you can sometimes smell the gas of the boats on the beach. The other side, near the beach restaurant was crowded. The water color is very pretty but the water can be a bit rough making swiming less inviting. I will say though that the first 2 days we were there, the water was calmer and was very nice to swim in. There is no snorkeling on site - they offer 2 half hour snorkel trips a day to the reef 5 minutes from the resort. It wasnt that exciting. Beachside service was very good. The cushions on the chairs were a bit thin and worn out - wish they were more cushiony. Alot of people chose also to sun bathe on the piers since there was not enough room on the beach. We stayed in the Coconut grove room. It was a modest room. I felt it was nice enough - but its no Four Seasons (which is my favorite chain). The Butlers Darren/Oryne were very nice. It is a nice touch to make the guests feel extra pampered. I wasnt sure what to make of Darren at first but he grew on me:) The butlers made sure that we were always happy with our room. They give you a phone so you can reach them at anytime. We did end up tiping them at the end because when you first get there, they give you a letter saying they have relaxed the tiping policy on the butlers. So what are we supposed to think? - not sure. Though I did feel they worked extremely long hours and were ALWAYs around. My husband didnt have proper pants one night for Le Papillion so Darren was able to get him a loaner pair. I also highly recommend to try the private candelight dinner on the pier or beach. It was a very romantic and exquisite experience. The setting was beautiful. I felt like I was on THE BACHELORETTE. They offer 2 experiences - one for $170 and the other for approx. $270. We did the cheaper one because we didnt know about the other one beforehand. We had a nice time.
Before you get there they make you fill out a butler form. Dont take this too seriously unless you plan to do alot of excursions because when I got there, I felt they didnt even read the form I filled out. I felt its just a way for Sandals to make you pay for stuff in advance. I also felt I overpaid for the room because first of all, the prices of the rooms dropped significantly when I checked online once I got there. Also they try to get you to come back again year after year for your room at a cheaper and cheaper rate. Which leads me to think that I really overpaid for my room.
I dont usually do all-inclusive resorts but given my condition, Royal Plantation served its purpose. It was nice not to have to worry about a thing - since the whole experience is prepaid.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- •All suite resort and all are serviced by butlers trained by the Guild of Professional English Butlers•2 private beaches with beach butler service•The Caribbean’s only Champagne and Caviar Bar•Exquisite International, Mediterranean, Caribbean and French cuisine•24 hour in suite dining•Complimentary transfers from this resort to all Sandals Resorts•Voted Sandals Resorts “World Leading All-Inclusive Company” 16 years in a row•Voted Sandals Resorts “Caribbean’s Leading Hotel Brand” 18 years in a row•Five Star Diamond Award - American Academy of Hospitality Sciences ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Orbitz, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp. and Cheap Tickets so you can book your Sandals Royal Plantation reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sandals Royal Plantation Hotel Ocho Rios
- Royal Plantation Ocho Rios
- Royal Plantation Jamaica
- Sandals Royal Plantation Jamaica/Ocho Rios