“This is a Great Location with Awesome View” 4 of 5 stars

You added Columbus Heights to your Saves list
Columbus Heights
3.0 of 5 Condominium   |   Main Street | PO Box 383, Ocho Rios, Jamaica   |
Scotch Plains, New Jersey
“This is a Great Location with Awesome View”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

Columbus Heights is a nice location, with an awesome view of the beach and the town of Ocho Rios, if you stay in the top area apartments. There are about two or more pools on site and security at the front gate. The security is good, as they have a card system, where you are checked before entering and upon leaving the property.

My husband, daughter and myself had stayed in the apartment at the back, which is the last apartment at the very top, so we were able to get a great view. You have to make sure the apartment you stay in, is up-to-date and clean, as some of them are privately owned and maintained.

Room Tip: Stay in an apartment further up on the rise to the back to get a better view.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

My family stayed at a villa at Columbus Heights in April 2013 for two weeks and had one of the best vacations ever. The unit was two bedrooms on two levels with an ocean view gazebo on the lower level and a huge patio on the upper,level. The villa was clean, bright and appeared to be well maintained. We stayed in Phase 3 which is located mid-way up the hill which provided some of the most awesome views of the Caribbean Sea. The property is guarded and has 24 hour security with regular patrols after dark. We got to know the security staff and housekeeper and they were both very courteous and friendly. The location is close to everything but if you like to go out and explore, get a rental car. We went to the local supermarket a few times and just grabbed a taxi,to take us back to the unit with our stuff. Our villa did not have a/c but ceiling fans which were more than adequate. Best value in Ochie and will definately be back.

Room Tip: Some units have a lot of steps to access.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Cochrane, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

My fiance and I enjoyed ourselves immensely. The rooms are so clean and furnished nicely. The views are awesome and we will definately be back. The only thing you need is a beach towel. We had our own private entertainment every night, just go out on the balcony and enjoy the reggae from below, awesome. Even to get a taxi is simple. We linked up with a taxi and he only charged us a dollar each way to town and back as it is a steep walk.

Room Tip: The higher up the better. Lot's of rooms with excellent views!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

We stayed in Villa 22E in August 2012 for a week and it was not as we expected at all. First we had to change the dates due to a family emergency and when we arrived, the main office did not have us staying there for the changed dates. We were not given a pass to enter and re enter the property so we were hassled by the security officers every time. Upon entering the villa, we found two huge dead cockroaches in the kitchen and ants all over the kitchen counter. We left our belongings and went into the town to get dinner. We came back and sat down to dinner at the dining room table and a BIG cockroach dropped from the light fixture right on the table and ran across it. Another evening a huge cockroach flew in from the balcony and into the living room. DISGUSTING! The second room shower did not work properly and spit water all over the place soaking the floor, we couldn't use it. Even the room with ensuite bathroom was an issue. Everytime we attempted to shower, we had to line the floors with towels as the shower leaked. The towels were discoloured and mismatched and gross. The fan in the second room only had three speeds: slowest, slow and really fast which shook when it was on. There were ants all over the main bedrooms' dresser. I would never stay at this location again and I would never recommend it to anyone unless they were my worst enemy and even then I would think twice about doing that to another human being. I couldn't wait to leave the premises right away. The only saving grace was the view and the pool.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

We stayed at Columbus heights for 10 days and nights. My that was over 11 years ago, and I wont ever forget that experience. It was absolutely gorgeous. We were located hight on a hill, our condo overlooked the ocean, we had a nice view of the cruise ships when they came in. We had a banana tree over our balcony, some other units had coconut trees. We had a friend who had a unit with a long path of stone steps that lead high up to the top balcony that had a large gazebo, the balcony itself was so large, we had a party of 60-75 people. We came and went as we pleased, no assalts or robberies. The place was lovely with flowers and foilage all around. Our unit itself was very nice and clean, we had 3 levels with a spiraling staircase. The owner was Fred and Regina, the maid was Nadene. It was breath taking, I will never forget that experience, I always dream of going back there.

Room Tip: Ask for the unit that Fred and Regina owns.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Toronto Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

For the most part Jamaica is breathtaking but my favorite is Columbus Heights Ocho Rios. I've been going there every year twice a year and never had any such encounters of being robbed or hurt. I've been there with my kids, with a bunch of lady friends and every year with my husband. All the incidents's that have happened are based on women going there and taking no precautions what so ever, picking up guys on the street and taking them to their apartments not realizing that those are the same people that THEY set up for a robbery. They don't lock their doors and most of them leave their gazebo doors wide open 24/7. This kind of thing can happen in their own backyards. Come on ladies you don't pick strays and expect to stay safe. Columbus Height IS beautiful and the view is breathtaking. The helpers are very sweet and can make delicious Jamaican meals. I find it very relaxing and enjoy it very much although the hill is a hike and half but keeps me in shape.

Room Tip: I like phase five, better views, grounds better manicured and clean, the best pool and most of the...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
New England, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

I recently had the pleasure of a relaxing visit to Columbus Heights. I reserved an apartment online through Pamella in the office and was so pleased that they were expecting me. I was welcomed to check in even though I was quite early. I was able to view two apartments and choose the one I liked best(I love when that's possible!). I've stayed here often over the years and this time had a lovely 2 bedroom unit in phase 3 of the complex. The location is about mid way up the hillside near the forest. Loved it. The view was awesome. The unit was clean and well-furnished and Jessica was a wonderful help. She was never intrusive and came in to take care of things as needed while giving me privacy. Jessica did offer to cook, but I did not need it this time.

During the day, I spent most of my time reading in the shade, walking, or bouncing between the two closest pools. The gardens are as lovely as I remember and it was a pleasure to walk amongst the foliage. My plan was to get in a couple good walks every day up and down the hillside. I didn't walk quite as often as I'd hoped, but I did get out and about daily.

In summary, I really like staying at Columbus Heights as it feels like Jamaica. I've never encountered a problem there and even when traveling solo have felt safe. The property felt secure and my apartment was as well. I appreciated the additional grated doors on the verandahs. I was able to enjoy my time and the property fully.

The negatives to this property are that not all the units are equal in terms of luxury and amenities and the property does show signs of aging. If you are not especially fussy, it's fine. That said, it's a great place to spend some time if you prefer to be near town but not in it and want to soak in the views from above the town.

Room Tip: Ask if it's possible to see more than one room and then choose.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo

Been to Columbus Heights? Share your experiences!