“Columbus Heights - What the ??????” 2 of 5 stars

You added Columbus Heights to your Saves list
Columbus Heights
3.0 of 5 Condominium   |   Main Street | PO Box 383, Ocho Rios, Jamaica   |
Toronto, Canada
“Columbus Heights - What the ??????”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

We stayed in Villa 22E in August 2012 for a week and it was not as we expected at all. First we had to change the dates due to a family emergency and when we arrived, the main office did not have us staying there for the changed dates. We were not given a pass to enter and re enter the property so we were hassled by the security officers every time. Upon entering the villa, we found two huge dead cockroaches in the kitchen and ants all over the kitchen counter. We left our belongings and went into the town to get dinner. We came back and sat down to dinner at the dining room table and a BIG cockroach dropped from the light fixture right on the table and ran across it. Another evening a huge cockroach flew in from the balcony and into the living room. DISGUSTING! The second room shower did not work properly and spit water all over the place soaking the floor, we couldn't use it. Even the room with ensuite bathroom was an issue. Everytime we attempted to shower, we had to line the floors with towels as the shower leaked. The towels were discoloured and mismatched and gross. The fan in the second room only had three speeds: slowest, slow and really fast which shook when it was on. There were ants all over the main bedrooms' dresser. I would never stay at this location again and I would never recommend it to anyone unless they were my worst enemy and even then I would think twice about doing that to another human being. I couldn't wait to leave the premises right away. The only saving grace was the view and the pool.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

We stayed at Columbus heights for 10 days and nights. My that was over 11 years ago, and I wont ever forget that experience. It was absolutely gorgeous. We were located hight on a hill, our condo overlooked the ocean, we had a nice view of the cruise ships when they came in. We had a banana tree over our balcony, some other units had coconut trees. We had a friend who had a unit with a long path of stone steps that lead high up to the top balcony that had a large gazebo, the balcony itself was so large, we had a party of 60-75 people. We came and went as we pleased, no assalts or robberies. The place was lovely with flowers and foilage all around. Our unit itself was very nice and clean, we had 3 levels with a spiraling staircase. The owner was Fred and Regina, the maid was Nadene. It was breath taking, I will never forget that experience, I always dream of going back there.

Room Tip: Ask for the unit that Fred and Regina owns.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Toronto Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

For the most part Jamaica is breathtaking but my favorite is Columbus Heights Ocho Rios. I've been going there every year twice a year and never had any such encounters of being robbed or hurt. I've been there with my kids, with a bunch of lady friends and every year with my husband. All the incidents's that have happened are based on women going there and taking no precautions what so ever, picking up guys on the street and taking them to their apartments not realizing that those are the same people that THEY set up for a robbery. They don't lock their doors and most of them leave their gazebo doors wide open 24/7. This kind of thing can happen in their own backyards. Come on ladies you don't pick strays and expect to stay safe. Columbus Height IS beautiful and the view is breathtaking. The helpers are very sweet and can make delicious Jamaican meals. I find it very relaxing and enjoy it very much although the hill is a hike and half but keeps me in shape.

Room Tip: I like phase five, better views, grounds better manicured and clean, the best pool and most of the...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
New England, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

I recently had the pleasure of a relaxing visit to Columbus Heights. I reserved an apartment online through Pamella in the office and was so pleased that they were expecting me. I was welcomed to check in even though I was quite early. I was able to view two apartments and choose the one I liked best(I love when that's possible!). I've stayed here often over the years and this time had a lovely 2 bedroom unit in phase 3 of the complex. The location is about mid way up the hillside near the forest. Loved it. The view was awesome. The unit was clean and well-furnished and Jessica was a wonderful help. She was never intrusive and came in to take care of things as needed while giving me privacy. Jessica did offer to cook, but I did not need it this time.

During the day, I spent most of my time reading in the shade, walking, or bouncing between the two closest pools. The gardens are as lovely as I remember and it was a pleasure to walk amongst the foliage. My plan was to get in a couple good walks every day up and down the hillside. I didn't walk quite as often as I'd hoped, but I did get out and about daily.

In summary, I really like staying at Columbus Heights as it feels like Jamaica. I've never encountered a problem there and even when traveling solo have felt safe. The property felt secure and my apartment was as well. I appreciated the additional grated doors on the verandahs. I was able to enjoy my time and the property fully.

The negatives to this property are that not all the units are equal in terms of luxury and amenities and the property does show signs of aging. If you are not especially fussy, it's fine. That said, it's a great place to spend some time if you prefer to be near town but not in it and want to soak in the views from above the town.

Room Tip: Ask if it's possible to see more than one room and then choose.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2012

My Hubby and I went to this hotel and Loved it.

It had a great view. the rooms were nice and clean and our housekeeper was an awesome cook !! I am still dreaming of the curried chicken...yummy

What was really good is that it close to the town area and beach. At the bottom of the hill was a cool hang out spot that you can walk to...the hill is abit steep but I wont complain since i needed the work out.

We loved it. It was nice and cozy and low key. We kinda felt like we were Jamaicans hanging out with all the locals...everyone was really sweet and helpful

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Manchester, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2012

I have stayed here over four times and each time i have had a good expereince. The condition of the rooms are well kept and i do praise the high level of security at the bottom of the hill. The pools are kept clean most of the time and the maintenace staff are friendly. However if you don't like walking up hills this is not the place for you as the villas are built on hills. The staff in the office are generally friendly and offer you information and advice. The complex is beautifull will lots of flowers and fruit on the tree which you can help yourself too, the best thing about columbus heights is the view you will never find a view like that throughout the wholw of ocho rios

Room Tip: The higher your room the better your view, the lower your room the more noise you will get during t...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Brighton, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2012

The two of us stayed here for 10 days. We read previous reviews and knew that there was a hill from the main road to our apartment but we didn't realise how steep it was. As a consequence of that we walked down and got Mr Crawford of Auntie Mama's Taxi Tours (Tel 845 3875 or 345 9597) to bring us home. We did not go out in the evening because we could not face the steep climb home.

The gardens are kept very neat and tidy and our pool area was also kept tidy. New ballustrades were being fitted a couple of days before we left.

One thing though, we felt like we were being asked for money all the time. A telephone message was left for me ..... it cost me. One of the gardeners cut some aloe vera which was growing in the gardens ...... it cost me.

Our 1 bedroom apartment was spacious, the bed was comfortable but the kitchen and bathroom were dirty and are both in desperate need of refurbishing. Our housekeeper, Bridgitte, was so very very nice.

I've read the other reviews and all I can say with regard to the one that says "Stay if you don't value your life" AS and "Greatful (sic) to be Alive, worst place to stay in Jamaica" MEL0412 ..... you couldn't possibly have been staying at Columbus Heights. We felt completely safe.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Columbus Heights? Share your experiences!