“Columbus Heights-Phase 3” 5 of 5 stars

2.0 of 5 Condominium   |   Main Street | PO Box 383, Ocho Rios, Jamaica   |
New England, USA
“Columbus Heights-Phase 3”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

I recently had the pleasure of a relaxing visit to Columbus Heights. I reserved an apartment online through Pamella in the office and was so pleased that they were expecting me. I was welcomed to check in even though I was quite early. I was able to view two apartments and choose the one I liked best(I love when that's possible!). I've stayed here often over the years and this time had a lovely 2 bedroom unit in phase 3 of the complex. The location is about mid way up the hillside near the forest. Loved it. The view was awesome. The unit was clean and well-furnished and Jessica was a wonderful help. She was never intrusive and came in to take care of things as needed while giving me privacy. Jessica did offer to cook, but I did not need it this time.

During the day, I spent most of my time reading in the shade, walking, or bouncing between the two closest pools. The gardens are as lovely as I remember and it was a pleasure to walk amongst the foliage. My plan was to get in a couple good walks every day up and down the hillside. I didn't walk quite as often as I'd hoped, but I did get out and about daily.

In summary, I really like staying at Columbus Heights as it feels like Jamaica. I've never encountered a problem there and even when traveling solo have felt safe. The property felt secure and my apartment was as well. I appreciated the additional grated doors on the verandahs. I was able to enjoy my time and the property fully.

The negatives to this property are that not all the units are equal in terms of luxury and amenities and the property does show signs of aging. If you are not especially fussy, it's fine. That said, it's a great place to spend some time if you prefer to be near town but not in it and want to soak in the views from above the town.

Room Tip: Ask if it's possible to see more than one room and then choose.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo

35 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2012

My Hubby and I went to this hotel and Loved it.

It had a great view. the rooms were nice and clean and our housekeeper was an awesome cook !! I am still dreaming of the curried chicken...yummy

What was really good is that it close to the town area and beach. At the bottom of the hill was a cool hang out spot that you can walk to...the hill is abit steep but I wont complain since i needed the work out.

We loved it. It was nice and cozy and low key. We kinda felt like we were Jamaicans hanging out with all the locals...everyone was really sweet and helpful

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Manchester, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2012

I have stayed here over four times and each time i have had a good expereince. The condition of the rooms are well kept and i do praise the high level of security at the bottom of the hill. The pools are kept clean most of the time and the maintenace staff are friendly. However if you don't like walking up hills this is not the place for you as the villas are built on hills. The staff in the office are generally friendly and offer you information and advice. The complex is beautifull will lots of flowers and fruit on the tree which you can help yourself too, the best thing about columbus heights is the view you will never find a view like that throughout the wholw of ocho rios

Room Tip: The higher your room the better your view, the lower your room the more noise you will get during t...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Brighton, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2012

The two of us stayed here for 10 days. We read previous reviews and knew that there was a hill from the main road to our apartment but we didn't realise how steep it was. As a consequence of that we walked down and got Mr Crawford of Auntie Mama's Taxi Tours (Tel 845 3875 or 345 9597) to bring us home. We did not go out in the evening because we could not face the steep climb home.

The gardens are kept very neat and tidy and our pool area was also kept tidy. New ballustrades were being fitted a couple of days before we left.

One thing though, we felt like we were being asked for money all the time. A telephone message was left for me ..... it cost me. One of the gardeners cut some aloe vera which was growing in the gardens ...... it cost me.

Our 1 bedroom apartment was spacious, the bed was comfortable but the kitchen and bathroom were dirty and are both in desperate need of refurbishing. Our housekeeper, Bridgitte, was so very very nice.

I've read the other reviews and all I can say with regard to the one that says "Stay if you don't value your life" AS and "Greatful (sic) to be Alive, worst place to stay in Jamaica" MEL0412 ..... you couldn't possibly have been staying at Columbus Heights. We felt completely safe.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2011

its a long walk to get up there.. no air conditioning in the apartment i was in, staff was very helpful though, nice size pools, 2 in close proximity to my room, the view is amazing from this resort and the flowers around the complex were just beautiful. I will definitely be back.. I loved it there!!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2011

My family and I stayed in phase 5 for a week. We were enjoying our time together until our last night. We awoke on our last morning to find the door to our unit open and some of my personal belongings scattered in the garden. It turned out that we were robbed while we were asleep. They took our cameras, phone, diaper bag, beach bag, epi-pen, the babys asthma meds (air chamber and puffers) and all the money. My wallet was cleaned out of all the cash but was left behind with my ID and cards. The police was called 3 times, we waited for hours and they did not show up. We went into town to file a report, police still did not turn up (the housekeeper called us after we left to tell us the police did turn up and would call us-been home a few days, yet to hear from police). The owner of the unit was not very helpful and left a lot to be desired. We left with a sour taste in our mouths. We are born bred Jamaicans who took our children there to show them a bit of their heritage and this is what they came home with, a land of beauty that is also neglectful of it's citizens and visitors. Imagine, the only thing we can say is that we are blessed to have our lives.

Room Tip: Good luck, it's all a gamble.
Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2011

I travel to Jamaica about four times a year. I usually stay with friends while there, this time I brought a friend with me and we stayed here. The first day we checked in we were robbed at knife point by two men who had entered our room. We had returned to our room from Margarita Ville and were rushed by two men who had been in our room for some time. They had already taken all of our belongings and threatened to kill and rape us if we were not quiet. These men did not know that we had been accompanied by two of my male friends who were parking the car. When my friends came to the door the men were startled and ran off jumping from the balcony. I am so grateful my friends were with me this night. Had they just dropped us off, I am certain these robbers would have raped and killed my friend and I. After reporting to the police and them doing an investigation we came to learn that this was set up though security.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Columbus Heights? Share your experiences!