“nice view” 3 of 5 stars

2.0 of 5 Condominium   |   Main Street | PO Box 383, Ocho Rios, Jamaica   |
Manchester, England, United Kingdom
“nice view”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2012

I have stayed here over four times and each time i have had a good expereince. The condition of the rooms are well kept and i do praise the high level of security at the bottom of the hill. The pools are kept clean most of the time and the maintenace staff are friendly. However if you don't like walking up hills this is not the place for you as the villas are built on hills. The staff in the office are generally friendly and offer you information and advice. The complex is beautifull will lots of flowers and fruit on the tree which you can help yourself too, the best thing about columbus heights is the view you will never find a view like that throughout the wholw of ocho rios

Room Tip: The higher your room the better your view, the lower your room the more noise you will get during t...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Brighton, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2012

The two of us stayed here for 10 days. We read previous reviews and knew that there was a hill from the main road to our apartment but we didn't realise how steep it was. As a consequence of that we walked down and got Mr Crawford of Auntie Mama's Taxi Tours (Tel 845 3875 or 345 9597) to bring us home. We did not go out in the evening because we could not face the steep climb home.

The gardens are kept very neat and tidy and our pool area was also kept tidy. New ballustrades were being fitted a couple of days before we left.

One thing though, we felt like we were being asked for money all the time. A telephone message was left for me ..... it cost me. One of the gardeners cut some aloe vera which was growing in the gardens ...... it cost me.

Our 1 bedroom apartment was spacious, the bed was comfortable but the kitchen and bathroom were dirty and are both in desperate need of refurbishing. Our housekeeper, Bridgitte, was so very very nice.

I've read the other reviews and all I can say with regard to the one that says "Stay if you don't value your life" AS and "Greatful (sic) to be Alive, worst place to stay in Jamaica" MEL0412 ..... you couldn't possibly have been staying at Columbus Heights. We felt completely safe.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2011

its a long walk to get up there.. no air conditioning in the apartment i was in, staff was very helpful though, nice size pools, 2 in close proximity to my room, the view is amazing from this resort and the flowers around the complex were just beautiful. I will definitely be back.. I loved it there!!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2011

My family and I stayed in phase 5 for a week. We were enjoying our time together until our last night. We awoke on our last morning to find the door to our unit open and some of my personal belongings scattered in the garden. It turned out that we were robbed while we were asleep. They took our cameras, phone, diaper bag, beach bag, epi-pen, the babys asthma meds (air chamber and puffers) and all the money. My wallet was cleaned out of all the cash but was left behind with my ID and cards. The police was called 3 times, we waited for hours and they did not show up. We went into town to file a report, police still did not turn up (the housekeeper called us after we left to tell us the police did turn up and would call us-been home a few days, yet to hear from police). The owner of the unit was not very helpful and left a lot to be desired. We left with a sour taste in our mouths. We are born bred Jamaicans who took our children there to show them a bit of their heritage and this is what they came home with, a land of beauty that is also neglectful of it's citizens and visitors. Imagine, the only thing we can say is that we are blessed to have our lives.

Room Tip: Good luck, it's all a gamble.
Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2011

I travel to Jamaica about four times a year. I usually stay with friends while there, this time I brought a friend with me and we stayed here. The first day we checked in we were robbed at knife point by two men who had entered our room. We had returned to our room from Margarita Ville and were rushed by two men who had been in our room for some time. They had already taken all of our belongings and threatened to kill and rape us if we were not quiet. These men did not know that we had been accompanied by two of my male friends who were parking the car. When my friends came to the door the men were startled and ran off jumping from the balcony. I am so grateful my friends were with me this night. Had they just dropped us off, I am certain these robbers would have raped and killed my friend and I. After reporting to the police and them doing an investigation we came to learn that this was set up though security.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
Kingston, Jamaica
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2011

A hellish Experience, myself and my brother take our other half for the easter party weekend. My brother was shocked at the appalling standards and left within 30 hours of arrival.
The beds were used and cheap and the pillows where painfully uncomfortable.
We had the worst equipped kitchen I have ever came across and it was also infested with cockroaches among other things.
I got locked into the down stairs bathroom for one hour until my friend came down and helped me pick the lock.
The outside areas were filthy
The pools where appeared unclean and very uninviting
The maid spent longer in our room then we did....
The Admin Staff like to shout and seem shocked when you make a complaint.
If you want my advise stay away from Columbus heights....over priced, unclean, uncomfortable otherwise a great way to ruin your vacation!

Room Tip: Book into the lodge on the main street.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
Moose Jaw, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2011

I rented a studio apartment for a week in Columbus Heights, and it was perfect for what i wanted and needed. my apartment is privately owned, so I had no cleaning lady or cook or stuff like that, but I was fine on my own. my landlady did come one day and bring me clean sheets and more towels. I was 5 min walk from Margarittaville, and Oceans 11 and Baywatch and all the wonderful shops in downtown Ocho Rios. I LOVED going for daily walks down the street and meeting the locals. the only hard part was the walk back UP the hill to my apartment. small price to pay to have the BEST view of the ocean and the cruise ships that would dock. I loved hearing the crickets at night and the beautiful music that would drift into the apartment. I would happily stay here again and again, In fact, if the landlady for F3 ever wants to sell this place I hope she contacts me first , cuz i would buy it in a heartbeat! ONE LOVE!!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Columbus Heights? Share your experiences!