“Unit 30 - Higher rating given for Chase, Christie, Mrs. Tulloch and the views, not the unit” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Chrisanns Beach Resort

Save Saved
You added Chrisanns Beach Resort to your Saves list
Chrisanns Beach Resort
2.5 of 5 Resort   |   P.O. Box 104, Tower Isle | St. Mary, Ocho Rios 00876, Jamaica   |
Ranked #9 of 39 hotels in Ocho Rios
Orlando, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

I so want to rate this place a 5 but It would be a false review. The grounds and some staff were awesome. The unit was okay. Some changes the manager should consider to make this place impeccable are:

1. Miss. Charmaine should train all of the house keepers and over see their work.

She is a hard working older woman that puts the other housekeeper (Cathy) to shame. Cathy does the bare minimum to keep the place clean. Our balcony was never cleaned and had dried bird poop all over it on our arrival. On the contrary, Charmaine cleans her "wing" from the inside out.

Another thing to consider before confirming your reservation is clearly stating the AC unit should be cleaned before your arrival. We never noticed how dirty the unit was until the one day we spent all day in doors. The next morning my family woke up feeling ill and spitting up black mucus. My three year old had black nasal drainage. My husband noticed the issue. it looked like that AC unit wasn't cleaned in months. Miss. Charmaine came to the rescue and fixed the problem immediately. She was more concerned for us and our comfort which brings me to the second change.

2. The current manager, Wilson, should be demoted to, I believe her name is, Shenice's position. After mentioning our situation to the manager all he said was, "I have to investigate this." Not even a dry apology. Shenice should be promoted. she is young but has what it takes to run the place and make customers happy. I met the manager once but saw her at least four times during my seven day stay. She is sweet and personable.

3. Fix the wifi! Glenn's wifi works better in the parking lot. There are full bars but no connection at Chrisann's...doesn't make any sense. I could are less but people like my little sister depend on wifi which made this place desirable to her.

Now for the good stuff. My favorite parts of the trip were spending time with Chase and Christie. I absolutely love and adore these men. Chase is the day time grounds keeper. He was great to my family. I miss him dearly and can't wait to see him again. To be quite honest, we didn't care to be in our condo or to leave Chrisann's when Chase was working because he was a pleasure to be around. Christie made leaving the grounds enjoyable. His rates are reasonable and his professionalism speaks volumes. He catered to my family's every need and treated us like family when we were there.

Mrs. Tulloch actually helped me book my stay and gave me great insight to the island and Chrisann's even though I didn't rent her suite. I would've loved to but the place is always booked. So book early!

The views you see are real. The grounds are well maintained and stunning. I call it a "clean beach" because there is a combination of sand and stones so you aren't covered with sand when you leave the water. My daughter and sister enjoyed the pool more because the water was warmer but my husband and I spent everyday in the ocean.

The location is great because there is a combination of locals and tourists here. I preferred that over the hustle and bustle of town. There are two places to eat across the street and a grocery store. If you are on a budget choose Glenn's for breakfast and the Jerk Center for dinner. The food at Glenn's was good but expensive ($10 US or more per person). Pick chicken or fish from the jerk center and you can't go wrong. The little shop across the street is great. You can get your essentials there.

Over all, I would go back if I can stay in either 9 or 16. Regardless of where I stay, I will be back to spend time with my beloved Chase.

Room Tip: Mrs. Tulloch owns suite 9 and keeps her place well-maintained per staff. She is very personable and...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

94 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Ajax, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

A smaller (35) unit property 10 minutes out of Ocho Rios in the Tower Isle area, All apartments, pool and small private beach, located across the road from grocery store and restaurant. Stayed in unit 9, a corner unit with limited view. Unit was well appointed and comfortable, would have liked to have had a TV upstairs in the bedroom. Stove needs some attention. We did not use the WIFI, but were advised on our second day that some work was being done on the system...on the day before we left someone showed up to fix the WIFI. Personal preference would have been for a poolside unit (but not a negative)at the end of either side of the U shaped property. As others have suggested a bar b q pit or unit would be a great addition and could become a gathering place for guests. Security was generally ever present (although did return late at night and did not see security) did not see or meet "property management" at any time. Property (not the unit ) was showing signs of wear/time. If using Glenn's across the road pay in Jamaican dollars in cash or specify JA $ on cc. Would send friends if this is the type of holiday they want.

Room Tip: Consider own preference, poolside, one level, view, etc.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Mahe Island, Seychelles
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

When I booked this resort for a surprise getaway for my husband and I, I did not know what we were going to find, so based on the beautiful pictures of the place I went ahead and booked. We went there from Saturday March 2, 2013 but arrived very late in the night and were pleasantly surprised to see that the Front Office Manager, Mr. Wilson stayed on to welcome us even though he was to have left work hours before.

The room # 30 (junior suite I think) that we got was very comfortable and homely with the amenities we needed for our stay. The bedroom is upstairs and the sitting, dining, bathroom and kitchen downstairs. All rooms at the Resort over looks the pool and the ones downstairs (studios I think) takes you straight out to the poolside. The beach is just a couple feet away from the rooms and has a spectacular sight. All areas of the Resort was clean, looks freshly painted and well kept. The staff that we met were very friendly and always have a warm smile to offer the guests. We got the opportunity to see other categories of rooms from Jennifer (one of the housekeepers) and Mr. Wilson who did not have to do this. They did it with such love and patience thank you!!!

Our only setback during our stay was that the weather was very bad starting from the morning after we arrived :-( which was no fault of the Resort or staff, It was a tropical depression but the staff especially the grounds staff worked hard to keep the place immaculately clean as best as they could under the circumstance. I most of all regretted not being able to swim in the pool or the beach but this was understandable. My husband and I spent most of our time indoors cooking for each other and just having some one on one us time that was much needed :-). We did go into the town which was not far away and on Tuesday March 5, 2013 I surprised my husband by arranging with the Manager to have a professional full body masseuse over for 2 hours to give us some well deserved massage with scented candles and oils.

Over all we had a wonderful time (without the swimming) as the place is very quiet and private (if you are looking for that kind of vacation). Security was actively in place. I would recommend Chris Ann's Beach Resort to anyone who want to relax and not have a high impact vacation. Oh how could I forget....the place was surprisingly very, very affordable, So much that we were more than able to go shopping for groceries for us to enjoy during our stay, and still spent well under our budget for this getaway! I must add that the pictures on the internet were exactly what was there..... very beautiful and that was what caught my eyes first. We checked out on Wednesday March 6, 2013 on the day when the weather got soooo good and the sun was shining in its full sting (was tempted to stay longer but had to get back to reality)

RECOMMENDATION: (1) All rooms should have internet access
(2) An outdoor bar-b-q area for guests to use would be awesome
may be the little area near the gazebo by the beach as you do not
have a restaurant facility.

A special thanks to Rebecca, her mom, the grounds men (who gave us jelly coconuts), The securities who always have a good word for us, Mr. Wilson, Jennifer and the rest of the Chris Ann's family.

Melton and Coleen Ernesta

Room Tip: Saw a lot of category rooms that are nice in their own way so ask for options and possibly to see o...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

After having a wonderful time at Chrisanns resort the first time ,my sister and I went back for a 10 day holiday. This time we rented a 2 story ocean front 3 bedroom apartment #16 ,
it was awesome the view from every window overlooking the ocean. At night the sound of the ocean and the rustling of the palm trees transferred you in to dreamland for a good night sleep. Would have liked a different and newer mattress .
It is an older unit currently for sale and in need of a little TLC .The kitchen is well stocked , the owner of #9 Dulcia was very helpful and made sure she checked on the dishes and pots & pants
As she knew I would be doing a lot of cooking.Thank you Dulcia.
My sister was in awe and enjoyed every moment to the fullest.
About the apartment it self , a big nice kitchen ,
comfortable furniture , big dining room table to enjoy our dinners.
The broken TV was quickly replaced , so was my air conditioning
And some plumbing issues.Nice when things get fixed right away.
The apartment is very large especially the bedrooms.
The A/C units in the bedrooms are very quiet .
We spend time on a big balcony overlooking the pool and the ocean
eating breakfast and happy hour.
The staff was so friendly and made us feel at home.
Again we where treated to some coconuts right from the trees of the property.
The grocery store across the street was very convenient and was also well stocked.
Glens restaurant across the street has delicious food and friendly service , we even had a Jamaican Man sing us a song playing his guitar while having breakfast on the terrace.
We went to the fisherman market for fresh fish , what an adventure for my sister,
The other fresh fish where supplied by one of the staff ,
to make sure we get top quality at a good price.
Trips to Ocho Rios market where fun. We where sad to leave and hope some day to return.
Thank you to everybody at Chrisanns for making our stay special.

Room Tip: Every room in #16 is perfect , as it is ocean front, can,t get much closer to the water !
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

I stayed in Dulcia beautiful suite Paradise Suite Number 9. From the moment you arrive to the sad moment you have to go, you are greeted to warm and kind managers, to Chance the security guard who is so helpful and such a good guy, to Charline the housekeeper who daily takes care of the suite, keeping it clean, washing your clothes. Its like being taken into a loving family who really cares. The unit is perfect, its spacious, clean, private. The beach is like a dream, nestled on the coast private with the beautiful sun, surf and you swim in the enclosed pool,,just wonderful. Or if you prefer they have a pristine clean pool. Jamaica is a wonderful place and if you want a tour call Rasta Tours and Ray Dailey(1876 443 7877) he knows the island in and out and you will experience the real Jamaica. The food, the reggae music, the fine, noble kind Jamaicans that make you want to return again and again: Thank you Chrisanns, Thank you Dulcia keep it going you give much needed love and healing through the beauty of your resort.
One Love Diana

Room Tip: Choose Dulica's suite, #9. Her rates a fair and she is a major reason why Chrisanns is run so we...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Indianapolis, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

When we started looking for a Caribbean vacation spot in the Caribbean, this one quickly came to be the frontrunner because of all of its features and great rental price. The beautiful photos and excellent reviews encouraged us to call and speak to Daniela. She answered all of our questions quickly and we ended up booking 8 months in advance to be assured of getting the time we wanted as the time slot we originally wanted was gone within one week of our initial search.
We used Kristy for our transportation to Chrisann's upon arriving in country and also for the return trip back to the airport. We were very pleased with his pricing, service, punctuality, knowledge and kindness. He allowed us to stop at the grocery on the way to the condo and even walked with us through the store giving us advice when we had questions. The condo is exactly as seen in the pictures and is very bright, comfortable and clean. We were invited into a couple of other units at Chrisann's and they were very dark, plain and boring compared to Daniela's. We really enjoyed laying in the window seats and the hammocks out front for reading or taking a short nap. Daniela's unit gets the morning sun and it is very enjoyable to sit on the front porch at any time of the day or evening, also it is the only one with the hammocks and we saw some very envious looks when we were in them. We were very pleased to find the linens and towels above expectations and there is everthing you could want in the kitchen (although we never really cooked. Cathy and Charmaine were very pleasant, kind and kept the place spotless daily. The beach was small but clean and we would never tire of listening to the sound of the surf, especially since it is only 40 feet away from the condo. We only ate one expensive dinner out (on our anniversary) at Evita's, but the food was exceptional and the view was very romantic as it sits on a hill overlooking town. Glenn's restaurant (but was only OK and fairly costly) was right across the street from Chrisann's. But we became regulars at the Jerk Centre (two doors down from Glenn's), as it is a charming little outside restaurant that probably serves 50% Jamaican and 50%Tourist's and had fabulous local dishes served daily at very reasonable prices. Scotchies Too is a must visit for the pimento wood fired pork, chicken. We used the local route taxis a couple of times but found it more comfortable and less stressful to use a private hired taxi, however they are much more costly. Make sure that you climb Dunns River Falls, a natural wonder of Jamaica!! We also visited Noel Coward's home (Fire Fly) and it was on of the most spectacular and beautiful views of the Caribbean sea you will ever see. This condo was overall just a great place to relax and have the sea lull you into tranquility. Have fun and NO PROBLEM, MON!!! Irie (one love) !!!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Port aux Basques, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

A friend and I just returned to Canada from a week-long stay at Chrisanns Beach Resort. My parents are renting unit number 24 from Daniela for a month and we joined them for their third week.

Our driver Kristy picked us up from the airport (Mobay) and we felt very safe with him. He was so friendly and knowledgeable about Jamaica and the areas we drove through on the way to Chrisanns.

When we arrived, we were greeted by the security guard, Chase, who was very pleasent. We did not have much interaction with the office staff as my parents checked in; however, they too were quite friendly and accomodating. They quickly assisted us when we had questions about activities in the area and made calls to gather additional information for us.

The housekeepers for unit 24, Kathy and Charmaine, were so nice! . Trevor, the groundskeeper was very kind and even climbed a coconut tree to get us each a fresh coconut one morning.

Throughout the week, we became closer with the resort staff. My parents who had already been there for two weeks planned to have them for lunch while we were visiting for a bowl of Newfoundland style pea soup! We made friends with Chase since he was around our age (18 and 19) (he is 24). He went above and beyond the call of duty during our stay and even took me with him to town on his day off and hung out around Ochie. He brought his own fishing rods for my Dad and I to use down by the gazebo.

The apartment my parents rented was decorated tastefully by Daniela and her husband who I understand are both artists. We felt very comfortable there and it was like we were were at our summer home in Newfoundland (minus the rain and fog and much hotter!). We definitely think that it is the BEST apartment at the complex. It is the closest to the beach and has the nicest furniture on the veranda (not completely sure but it looked like the rest just had plastic chairs and tables). The hammocks viewed in pictures belong to this unit and were very comfortable to have a nap in.

My friend and I enjoyed sleeping in the window beds which were quite spacious. We did find some ants around them a couple times, but those were quickly removed with some VAPE (same as raid) which we only had to use around the window edges. We were uneasy about this but quickly remembered that we were in Jamaica now! If we had been home in NL we would be fending off the mosquitoes and checking for spiders.

Across the road from Chrissans is a little restaurant called Glens which we thought was was only ok (My friend and I just ate there once; however, my parents had eaten there a couple times and were satisfied). We had a Jamaican breakfast of salt fish and ackee. A little bit further down and you will find a Jerk Centre (also a bar). The staff here are very friendly! Debbie and Lisa were our favourite bartenders. Next you will find a small supermarket, another upstairs bar, and another small bar a little bit further, but we were most impressed with the Jerk Centre. A man named Bill who works at a car rental next to the Jerk Centre may seem sketchy at first but he is just hilarious once you get chatting! We were told that he looks out for all the tourists in the area and makes sure they make it back to wherever it is they are staying.

For some fresh fruit and veggies keep an eye out for a white van that services the Jerk Centre and supermarket - you will get a much better price when buying directly from the driver. We would suggest being cautious when out around at night. One evening we went to the Jerk Centre (the power had been flicking that day due to a bit of wind) and Debbie was closing up when we arrived. She said that there were unfamiliar faces around that night because the power was coming and going and suggested we come back the next day. We didn't worry but decided to take her advice and headed back to Chrisanns (a one minute walk).

We had a BLAST staying at Chrisanns and visiting the area around it! I think we can all say that the best part of the trip was meeting the locals and staff. You are VERY safe in the hands of the Chrisanns staff. Be a smart tourist though and keep your head up when venturing outside the complex and especially if walking around in the heart of Ocho Rios.

A HUGE thanks to Kristy, Kevin, Trevor, Kathy, and Charmaine who were excellent to us! Chase really made us feel at home at Chrisanns and is a very cool. Daniela, we are so glad that we stayed in your place!

A few notes:
- if you are looking for the all-inclusive experience do not stay here. If you want more freedom, no buffet line-ups or hoards of people and taste of the real Jamaica then this place is highly recommended!

-during the day we used the route cabs (unless going a long distance) which drive past Chrissans every minute. It was fun taking these cabs and you can't beat it for 100 Jamaican dollars (roughly 1 dollar U.S.). Some nights we went out to eat and always used our driver Kevin for the added safety.

-would also HIGHLY recommend dining at Scotchies which is a bar and grill. Evitas and Spring Garden Cafe & Seafood Grill are fancier with higher prices but if you don't mind spending a bit extra they are so worth it.

-not much to do at Chrisanns for younger kids but if Chase is around he would be more than happy to make a lizard noose from a coconut tree leaf! He made one for me and like a child I could have spent hours walking around trying to catch (and release!) lizards. People watching me must have had a laugh though because after a few hours spread over two or three days I still couldn't manage to catch one.

Room Tip: As I said, unit 24 seemed to be in the prime location and had the best outdoor furniture. The inside...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Been to Chrisanns Beach Resort? Share your experiences!