“Unit #24 Daniela Came Owner--The best condo in the place!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Chrisanns Beach Resort

Save Saved
You added Chrisanns Beach Resort to your Saves list
Chrisanns Beach Resort
2.5 of 5 Resort   |   P.O. Box 104, Tower Isle | St. Mary, Ocho Rios 00876, Jamaica   |
Ranked #9 of 39 hotels in Ocho Rios
Indianapolis, Indiana
“Unit #24 Daniela Came Owner--The best condo in the place!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

When we started looking for a Caribbean vacation spot in the Caribbean, this one quickly came to be the frontrunner because of all of its features and great rental price. The beautiful photos and excellent reviews encouraged us to call and speak to Daniela. She answered all of our questions quickly and we ended up booking 8 months in advance to be assured of getting the time we wanted as the time slot we originally wanted was gone within one week of our initial search.
We used Kristy for our transportation to Chrisann's upon arriving in country and also for the return trip back to the airport. We were very pleased with his pricing, service, punctuality, knowledge and kindness. He allowed us to stop at the grocery on the way to the condo and even walked with us through the store giving us advice when we had questions. The condo is exactly as seen in the pictures and is very bright, comfortable and clean. We were invited into a couple of other units at Chrisann's and they were very dark, plain and boring compared to Daniela's. We really enjoyed laying in the window seats and the hammocks out front for reading or taking a short nap. Daniela's unit gets the morning sun and it is very enjoyable to sit on the front porch at any time of the day or evening, also it is the only one with the hammocks and we saw some very envious looks when we were in them. We were very pleased to find the linens and towels above expectations and there is everthing you could want in the kitchen (although we never really cooked. Cathy and Charmaine were very pleasant, kind and kept the place spotless daily. The beach was small but clean and we would never tire of listening to the sound of the surf, especially since it is only 40 feet away from the condo. We only ate one expensive dinner out (on our anniversary) at Evita's, but the food was exceptional and the view was very romantic as it sits on a hill overlooking town. Glenn's restaurant (but was only OK and fairly costly) was right across the street from Chrisann's. But we became regulars at the Jerk Centre (two doors down from Glenn's), as it is a charming little outside restaurant that probably serves 50% Jamaican and 50%Tourist's and had fabulous local dishes served daily at very reasonable prices. Scotchies Too is a must visit for the pimento wood fired pork, chicken. We used the local route taxis a couple of times but found it more comfortable and less stressful to use a private hired taxi, however they are much more costly. Make sure that you climb Dunns River Falls, a natural wonder of Jamaica!! We also visited Noel Coward's home (Fire Fly) and it was on of the most spectacular and beautiful views of the Caribbean sea you will ever see. This condo was overall just a great place to relax and have the sea lull you into tranquility. Have fun and NO PROBLEM, MON!!! Irie (one love) !!!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

94 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Port aux Basques, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

A friend and I just returned to Canada from a week-long stay at Chrisanns Beach Resort. My parents are renting unit number 24 from Daniela for a month and we joined them for their third week.

Our driver Kristy picked us up from the airport (Mobay) and we felt very safe with him. He was so friendly and knowledgeable about Jamaica and the areas we drove through on the way to Chrisanns.

When we arrived, we were greeted by the security guard, Chase, who was very pleasent. We did not have much interaction with the office staff as my parents checked in; however, they too were quite friendly and accomodating. They quickly assisted us when we had questions about activities in the area and made calls to gather additional information for us.

The housekeepers for unit 24, Kathy and Charmaine, were so nice! . Trevor, the groundskeeper was very kind and even climbed a coconut tree to get us each a fresh coconut one morning.

Throughout the week, we became closer with the resort staff. My parents who had already been there for two weeks planned to have them for lunch while we were visiting for a bowl of Newfoundland style pea soup! We made friends with Chase since he was around our age (18 and 19) (he is 24). He went above and beyond the call of duty during our stay and even took me with him to town on his day off and hung out around Ochie. He brought his own fishing rods for my Dad and I to use down by the gazebo.

The apartment my parents rented was decorated tastefully by Daniela and her husband who I understand are both artists. We felt very comfortable there and it was like we were were at our summer home in Newfoundland (minus the rain and fog and much hotter!). We definitely think that it is the BEST apartment at the complex. It is the closest to the beach and has the nicest furniture on the veranda (not completely sure but it looked like the rest just had plastic chairs and tables). The hammocks viewed in pictures belong to this unit and were very comfortable to have a nap in.

My friend and I enjoyed sleeping in the window beds which were quite spacious. We did find some ants around them a couple times, but those were quickly removed with some VAPE (same as raid) which we only had to use around the window edges. We were uneasy about this but quickly remembered that we were in Jamaica now! If we had been home in NL we would be fending off the mosquitoes and checking for spiders.

Across the road from Chrissans is a little restaurant called Glens which we thought was was only ok (My friend and I just ate there once; however, my parents had eaten there a couple times and were satisfied). We had a Jamaican breakfast of salt fish and ackee. A little bit further down and you will find a Jerk Centre (also a bar). The staff here are very friendly! Debbie and Lisa were our favourite bartenders. Next you will find a small supermarket, another upstairs bar, and another small bar a little bit further, but we were most impressed with the Jerk Centre. A man named Bill who works at a car rental next to the Jerk Centre may seem sketchy at first but he is just hilarious once you get chatting! We were told that he looks out for all the tourists in the area and makes sure they make it back to wherever it is they are staying.

For some fresh fruit and veggies keep an eye out for a white van that services the Jerk Centre and supermarket - you will get a much better price when buying directly from the driver. We would suggest being cautious when out around at night. One evening we went to the Jerk Centre (the power had been flicking that day due to a bit of wind) and Debbie was closing up when we arrived. She said that there were unfamiliar faces around that night because the power was coming and going and suggested we come back the next day. We didn't worry but decided to take her advice and headed back to Chrisanns (a one minute walk).

We had a BLAST staying at Chrisanns and visiting the area around it! I think we can all say that the best part of the trip was meeting the locals and staff. You are VERY safe in the hands of the Chrisanns staff. Be a smart tourist though and keep your head up when venturing outside the complex and especially if walking around in the heart of Ocho Rios.

A HUGE thanks to Kristy, Kevin, Trevor, Kathy, and Charmaine who were excellent to us! Chase really made us feel at home at Chrisanns and is a very cool. Daniela, we are so glad that we stayed in your place!

A few notes:
- if you are looking for the all-inclusive experience do not stay here. If you want more freedom, no buffet line-ups or hoards of people and taste of the real Jamaica then this place is highly recommended!

-during the day we used the route cabs (unless going a long distance) which drive past Chrissans every minute. It was fun taking these cabs and you can't beat it for 100 Jamaican dollars (roughly 1 dollar U.S.). Some nights we went out to eat and always used our driver Kevin for the added safety.

-would also HIGHLY recommend dining at Scotchies which is a bar and grill. Evitas and Spring Garden Cafe & Seafood Grill are fancier with higher prices but if you don't mind spending a bit extra they are so worth it.

-not much to do at Chrisanns for younger kids but if Chase is around he would be more than happy to make a lizard noose from a coconut tree leaf! He made one for me and like a child I could have spent hours walking around trying to catch (and release!) lizards. People watching me must have had a laugh though because after a few hours spread over two or three days I still couldn't manage to catch one.

Room Tip: As I said, unit 24 seemed to be in the prime location and had the best outdoor furniture. The inside...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Manchester,CT.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

I stayed @ Chrisanns the second week of my two week trip. I stayed in studio #6, which was convenient and had everything one could possibly need.
The pool was right outside my sliding door and I also had a sea view from the small verandah by the pool.
The weather was sweet, as always. I like to really snorkel and swim, so I opted to hop a route taxi and pay a US dollar for a short ride to REGGAE BEACH.
The small man made pool at Chrisanns is sufficient to get wet and cool off. I enjoyed the brand new gazebo, and took a gazillion photos.

The staff @ Chrisanns go out of their way to make you comfortable and happy. I had some fever grass (tea) dried for me to take home by one of the considerate cleaning technicians. They were all friendly and I look forward to returning to this sweet spot again one day.

Across the street are two places to eat. One is GLENS, the other is a Jerk place. I chose the jerk place, where I indulged in curry conch and white rice with steamed veggies. There is also a grocery store that has anything you could possibly need. I went there almost every other day.

There is an other local beach heading in the other direction that is free. I forgot to mention that Reggae Beach does charge, and the price changes with the wind.

Chrisanns location is perfect for anywhere you want to go. Stand in the road and grab a red plate taxi that takes you right into Ochi. Then you can go on from there. Dunns River Falls, or keep going to Runaway Bay Public Beach, where "FLAVORS" is. Nice to see all of Jamaica rather that just stay in the same spot the whole time.

The General store in downtown Ochi, is great for grocery shopping and getting that Blue Mtn. coffee to take home. Their prices are reasonable. I only ate out once or twice as I bought (3) whole, red snappers, and made brown rice and veggies in my studio. It lasted me (3) days.

I want to say thank you to Ms. Ducia, Jennifer, Charmaine. These three woman, went well out of their way to accommodate me. We had a tiny billing issue that was resolved in a VERY timely fashion. I was lucky enough to stay TWO extra nights because of all the snow back in New England....boo-hoo...(lol) I got stuck in JAMAICA while the others were shoveling snow!

Chrisanns....nice location, staff, pristine, picturesque, and the rooms are all immaculate. I never saw even one bug. Just hibiscus all around my studio, every single day and smiling staff.

The Wi-FI comes in fine if you go to the entrance area where there is plenty of comfortable seating. Not much of an emailer while I am in "mi yard", so no worries for me.

Chrisanns is a very irie place to stay. You will love the convenience of the area and all that comes with each unit.

FYI: I could not add any photos. I kept getting messages, that the "file name is inadmissible". Chisanns cove, is an inadmissible name? Maybe T.A. can tell me how to get around this.

Room Tip: The lower rooms by the pool are cooler than the upper.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Northern California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

We stayed at this location Jan 17-Jan 28 of 2013 (still here at the time of this posting) without every having visited Jamaica before. We are a young couple from Northern California, no kids just us. The unit is nice and clean and the layout is nice. Upstairs is a loft master bed and then downstairs is the kitchen, living room and bathroom. The balcony and unit are on the second level, it's got an ocean view but will be better in time as the palm trees get taller. Staff is extremely friendly and helpful. Across the street are two places to eat, one is fancy and one is a local spot. There is also a small mini-mart which is so nice to have just across the street. The AC unit work great along with all the ceiling fan and appliances. We just love the kitchen and the owner was thoughtful enough to get us a map, welcome basket and arrange for a driver from MBJ Airport. The pool is decent but the ocean is RIGHT THERE, just outside the backyard....JUST like in the picture. Anyone who isn't happy in a place like this is a HARD customer or just plain prissy. We took two days and went over to stay in Montego Bay and a medium sized resort (Cobaya) and we prefer this one.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dusseldorf, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

We stayed at Chrisanns Beach Resort (Apartment #9) for one week. In preparation of our stay the owner send us useful information concerning what to bring, where to eat first morning and how to get around.
On arrival we entered a good maintained, clean and nicely located property and found a nice apartment that was clean, well equipped and decorated pleasingly. Entering the apartment lead us to the kitchen that holds everything you need, fridge, stove, microwave, coffee maker, toaster, etc. After the kitchen we entered the living room starting with an eating area, a cupboard with safe (included in the rate), sofa, armchair and table, TV set, radio, air condition, ventilator and ends with big window that leads to the balcony. The balcony provides enough space for two and gives a view to the pool and sea side. Going upstairs from the living room we found the bedroom with a large double bed, a chairs, two nightstands, a chest of drawers and a ventilator. Through other door from the living room we entered the bathroom with a big mirror, toilette and shower area. We were very pleased to see a very clean apartment decorated with beautiful welcome flowers.
About 5-10 minutes from Ocho Rios, the property is nice located on the beachfront with a restaurant, jerk place and supermarket right across the street. On the entrance area it has a parking area before you enter the actual apartment area. A pool is placed in the center of the apartments and a few steps further down the waves from the ocean break on the beach. The beach is protected by a set of big rocks and on there is a pavilion to sit and enjoy the fresh breeze from the sea.
Everything, the property as well as the apartment, was good maintained and cleaned up by very friendly and helpful staff. Beautiful flowers where placed in the bathroom regularly, towels were exchanged daily and the room after cleanup look like on our arrival.
Chrisannes apartment #9 was what we have expected with the information from the website and tripadvisor.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

I arrived at Chrisman’s resorts very late in the night and on arrival I was warmly welcomed by Dulcia’s personal caretaker who helped me with my luggage.

On entering apartment #9 I was very disappointed I didn't get the Wow! factor I was expecting. The images which are displayed on the website are very deceiving and are not a true reflection of the apartment.
Downstairs living room, bathroom and kitchen are like any standard apartment and nothing like the images on Chrisann’s website or what the owner Dulcina displayed. The only room I liked was the bedroom which was exactly like the images. I slept very comfortable in the very large queen size bed.
I have to thank the maids who did a wonderful job in keeping the apartment clean and tidy, they changed the bed regularly and when I asked for additional sheets and other items they were all very pleasant and was helpful in providing a fast service.

The kitchen is a bit small but had all the necessary utensils and much more…. there was even a food blender, coffee make, toaster and Dulcia provided that all the necessary food required to get you started for the first couple of days e.g. sugar, milk, water, tea bags and a bottle of wine to welcome me etc…

The villa’s communal areas were very nice. The beach was very clean and quiet. It was wonderful to relax on the beautiful private beach in the lovely sunshine, beautiful sea and cooling sea freeze. The pool is fairly large and the water was warm, although on one occasion they did forgot to add chlorine to the water. The pool, villa grounds, front & back was cleaned every day.

The reception staffs were helpful; when I complained to Dulcia about the internet which was down it was connected immediately and the staff was very helpful in helping me to connect my laptop.

Overall my stay at Chrisann’s in apt #9 was very pleasant and relaxing. I would stay there again but only if the rates was much cheaper, on account that apartment #9 and Chrisann’s villas needs refurbishing. In addition Chrisanns needs to invest in a back-up generator.
Eating out was not a problem as there‘s Glenn’s restaurant and the local shop if you prefer cooking your own meal, conveniently across the road. There are also numerous restaurants (e.g. Island Grill, Captain’s Bakery, The Jerk Centre and many more....) just a 5mins taxi ride to Ochio. The taxis are very cheap only cost 70p from Chrisann’s to Ocho town centre. I eat at Glen’s and the food was excellent, very tasty and service was wonderful.

I will definite visit Jamaica again, it is a wonderful island with miles of stunning natural coastline; a paradise for beach-lovers. Among the island's best offerings are Negril's Seven Mile Beach with great snorkeling and diving, Treasure Beach on the South Coast and Doctor's Cave Beach in Montego Bay, which has sand that looks like sugar. Ocho Rios has stunning beaches great hotels and apartments, lots of local shops, two craft markets, local market and Turtle Park.

I would recommend Dulcia’s apartment and Chrisann's resorts to others, it is an ideal (3 star) resort/apartment if you are not too fussy and on a low budget.

Room Tip: It's cheaper to eat out as there are numerous restaurants e.g Island Grill, Captain's Bakery...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
jamaica
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

I would like to thank Dulcia who owns apartment number 9 at chrissan. Dulcia had helped me with arrangements for my wedding at chrissans she constantly kept in touch from day one until the day she also made an effort to be at my wedding even though the weather was so Bad she drove from Kingston, which i was really great full. This is my 3rd time there its a beautiful place. Number 9 is really cosy and comfortable, the housing keeping staff are fantastic too. Its some were you feel safe and relaxed. I took my whole family there from england who really enjoyed it and all said they would stay again. Thank you again Dulica i would recommend Chrissans to anyone who's want to go to jamaica

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Chrisanns Beach Resort? Share your experiences!