“It was fun, but not too interactive.” 3 of 5 stars

Type: Amusement/ Theme Parks, Nature/ Wildlife Areas
Activities: Swimming with dolphins
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: This magnificent property has a natural cove which is surrounded by 5 acres of lush tropical rain forest. Visitors have the opportunity to interact and "Swim With" dolphins, enjoying the thrill and love of these amazing lovable animals. Visitors can also swim with, hold, feed and learn about the evolutionary secrets of the Caribbean sharks. Visitors can capture their dream of being a dolphin trainer by taking the challenge of being "Sea Keeper" for the day. Voted as Jamaica's Number One Attraction for a reason. Come for the day, for memories of a lifetime.
wisconsin
6 attraction reviews
“It was fun, but not too interactive.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2004

It was what I expected....I booked it in Oct. 2003, they said it was the LAST time available but when I got there people were booking that week. I think they must set aside times for the hotels and tour companies. I booked through the internet and saved the middle man price. The Cove picked me up. I was disappointed that we didn't do the jungle safari tour, I was waiting for them to tell us it was time to line up for it, (we were there 2 hours early) but they never did, apparently you had to ask to go on it. So we missed out on that, it would have been a good way to spend our 2 hours...Food and drink and crafts are all expensive there too. $6 for a strawberry margaretta.
Wow. $2 for a bottle of Pepsi. Anyway, finally got in the water with the dolphins, it was COLD! And petted them posed for a kiss, (Picture) and saw a couple of simple tricks. The kids were freezing and wanted it to be over. (I sorta did too) We did the encounter, not the swim, so we didn't get to ride them or anything. Our's over the internet was $89 instead of $149 through the hotel. So book it over the internet waaay a head of time. Finally out and you watch the tape they made and pick out pictures. 3 -- 5 x 7's and tape came to $75.00. That was about it, the gift shop wasn't cheap either. One of those mini $1.00 fans we sell here WITH batteries for $1 is $12.00 there!!!! Batteries NOT included!!
We laughed and laughed!!! Strange thought process!! Anyway it was fun, just not exceptionally fun.

A TripAdvisor Member
“Great day with the dofins”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2004

A fun time for the entire family. We were disapointed that we could only pet the dolfins and there was no ride hanging onto the dorsal fin.
We had around seven times where we could pet the dolfin and she did many tricks for us. We also all got to give her a kiss and had a photo taken doing that. I regret that I didn't buy the video of us with the dolfin. Shopping afterward was pleasant. the merchants weren't so pushy and let us browse there wares. Unlike those at another attraction we visited. We bought our package on a cruise ship and from what I am reading here we got a wonderful deal for $145 american we got not only the dolfin swim but also the Dunn's River Falls climb. With transportation to both.

Clinton, IA
4 attraction reviews
“OK, but not quite as advertised”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2004

Went January 04. $105 a person for the encounter. Web site showes 2 or 3 people with 1 dolphin. Not quite true. Our group had 10 people with 1 dolphin. The dolphin swam by 2x so we could pet it. Then we got to do the "kiss" photo and that was about it. Don't get me wrong, we were in the water with the animals for 30 minutes, but it wasn't quite as you see on the web sight. It was a once in a lifetime experience and my kids will never forget it, but beware that it's more of just floating around while the trainer talks about dolphins.Friends did the expensive one ($189). They got the pull and foot push. They had 2 dophins for a group of 8/10 people. Seemed nicer but way more expensive.I would recommend going if this is the only chance you will ever have to visit dolphins, but it isn't quite like the photos.

A TripAdvisor Member
“Calypso & Kommet”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2004

We visited Dolphin Cove on January 11, 04. The grounds are very impressive with a beautiful nature trail. The parrots and other wildlife were well trained, and added to the over all experience.Being a professional horse trainer and somewhat of an animal activist, I was a bit hesitant to book the dolphin swim as I'm always fearful of endorsing any program that may have any less than best interests in mind for it's animals. Much to my approval, the dolphins seemed well adapted, happy, and appear to truely enjoy their jobs!Although they are in a somewhat secluded cove, the dolphins *could* easily jump the man-made wall of rock that contains them at any time, and have free reign into the ocean. When I asked an employee about this, he stated that none of the 8 dolphins have ever attempted to leave. They are content within their environment, and obviously like the steady diet of fish!I was also impressed to hear that although there has yet to be a birth at Dolphin Cove, the dolphins actively breed.The 'Swim With' experience was great, although I had hoped for a bit more one on one interraction. Just watching was amazing in itself though. Well worth the money, I plan to swim there again next year!

Egg Harbor Township, NJ
“Nothing Can Compare”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2004

On January 6th, 2004 my wife and I went to Dolphin Cove. We made reservations 2 months in advance at www.dolphincovejamaica.com . We chose the "Swim With the Dolphins" package. It costed $155 US per person. We also chose to have them pick us up at our hotel, which was $6 US per person. The property was beautiful. Make sure to leave time for the nature trail; it is included with all of the packages and is interesting. We had a great time swimming with the 2 dolphins (for 30 minutes) and are glad we spent the money. We got to touch and kiss them. They did tricks for us and "talked" to us. The main difference over the "Encounter" package was that: we were in the water with them and not kneeling on a dock, the dolphins pulled us around the water as we held onto their dorsal fins, and they pushed us out of the water by our feet. It helps to go to the website I listed above to get an idea of what the packages include. The main feeling my wife and I got after the experience is that it was something that not many people get to do, and we may never get the opportunity to do it again. As far as the video--it costed $40 US, and ours worked perfectly when we returned home (even though it went through several x-ray machines). In addition to footage of you with the dolphins, they also have a 15 minute film about Jamaica on the tape. We felt the video was worth the money, and we only had to wait 2 minutes for the tape to be made. They also had a photographer that took a lot of pictures. You can review them in the gift shop and purchase 5x7 of the photos you want for $14 US each. The photos were printed within 5 minutes. The experience was incredible. We will never forget the wonderful time. It is a great activity to do with someone you love. Feel free to email me with any questions.