“Awesome experience, but pricey and "touristy" place” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 23 Attractions in Ocho Rios
Type: Nature/ Wildlife Areas, Amusement/ Theme Parks, Amusement Parks
Activities: Swimming with dolphins
More attraction details
Owner description: This magnificent property has a natural cove which is surrounded by 5 acres of lush tropical rain forest. Visitors have the opportunity to interact and "Swim With" dolphins, enjoying the thrill and love of these amazing lovable animals. Visitors can also swim with, hold, feed and learn about the evolutionary secrets of the Caribbean sharks. Visitors can capture their dream of being a dolphin trainer by taking the challenge of being "Sea Keeper" for the day. Voted as Jamaica's Number One Attraction for a reason. Come for the day, for memories of a lifetime.
Pembroke, Canada
13 attraction reviews
“Awesome experience, but pricey and "touristy" place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2011

I gave this a high rate because we loved swimming with the dolphins, but this place is not cheap and you are not allowed to take your own photos. They've got you coming and going .....charge an arm and a leg for the photos that they take because you can't take your own.

Having said that, we've been here twice, once just the two of us and once with our kids. And yes, we bought photos both times. How many times are you going to swim with dolphins?

We also enjoyed swimming with the sting rays, but yes, this is definitely a tourist trap. As long as you expect it, it's all good.

Visited September 2010

New York City, New York
13 attraction reviews
“Relaxing and educational experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2011

We were impressed with the grounds and beautiful reception area upon entering. It was modern and professionally landscaped. Tropical trees, plants, marine and pirate statues blended with the landscape. Activities include a shark show with pirates, who were very entertaining and funny Stood in the water and petted a large stingray, something I had never done. The dolphin experience was great. Not only did we swim with them, they also lifted us out of the water as they pushed us by our feet across the water allowing us to stand erect as we arched upward. They did tricks with us in the water and we gave them signals to do more tricks. There is an area for snorkeling, which was nice and appropriate for kids, you could stand in the water. The boardwalk is nicely done with pirate shops, gift shops and places to eat. Prices are good, jamaican souvenirs well made. There is a private beach with lounges, it was a nice place to relax and enjoy the landscape. Included are small motor boats, seats 4-6 for a half hour water ride. I even held a huge iguana, a new experience for me. A nature trail with parrots, iguanas and other animals was cute. Lunch was good and inexpensive. It is an expensive tourist attraction, cost 150.00 per person, if you dont swim with dolphins it is less expensive. It is the nicest attraction in the area for adults and children to experience a relaxing fun day in ocho rios.

Brit in Zurich
24 attraction reviews
“Fun day out but quite small”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2011

Had a fun day out here. The staff are really fun and will answer lots of questions. They seem to enjoy being there and have been there a while.The hotel had offered free upgrades for the tickets, so for 88US dollars we got to encounter with one dolphin instead of just the "touch" where you stand next to a dolphin and don't swim with them. One of the other reviews goes into detail what you do, so I won't repeat, but you have to take the price into consideration. Normally, with one dolphin it is 720 US for a family of four and with 2 dolphins it is nearly 1,000US dollars- so look out for the discounts. There is a shark show and swim with the stingrays. A tiny forest zoo, with one lizard, one snake and 6 parrots. They hassle you for tips for photos. If you want to buy the CD photos for the dolphins it is 80US and the video was about 50US. We took a picnic from the hotel so we didn't try lunch. The restrooms were clean and you can have showers of natural spring water , which was lovely.

Cumming, GA
“Nice full day excursion”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2011

We did a combo of Dunns River Falls and Dolphin Cove in the same day. Overall, we had fun and would do it again. However, I wish we had paid the extra money and did the Swim instead of just the Encounter. The Encounter was cool and I'll never forget swimming on a dolphin's belly. But seeing the others "skate on water" while the 2 dophins pushed their feet looked so amazing. I was worried the dolphins were going to appear like unhappy circus animals made to perform tricks. It was not like that at all. The dolphins seems happy and enjoyed interacting with the guests and getting the fish after each trick.

The other attractions were fun too. The shark show and snorkeling/sting ray experience were other great ways to spend the day.

Douglas
8 attraction reviews
“It was a lot of fun, but..”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2011

Okay, so this is my second review, I kinda touched on the Dolphin Cove on my other one, but I wanted to go into a little more detail. If you are staying at Ocho's Rios, I suggest going to Dolphin Cove. It's very entertaining, and I'm sure you'll have a blast. The workers are pretty organized, and they are very helpful if you have any questions. If you are there to swim with the dolphins, I'll tell you the difference between the Encounter and the Swim. The Encounter is you and probably 3 other couples and one dolphin. The trainer does a couple tricks with the dolphin, and then they have you ride on the dolphins belly while holding their flippers. Then they'll have it do a few more tricks, get a picture of it kissing you, then a picture of both you and your partner with it swimming in front, and then your done. You're in the water for about 15 min. The Dolphin Swim is you and probably 3 other couples but it has 2 dolphins. I know you ride on both dorsal fins, do more interactive tricks, and they have both dolphins come from behind and push you up making it look like you are water skiing. You're in the water for at least 30 min. This is a much better choice. I wish I would have done this one instead of the Encounter. The sting rays are cool, and the shark show was amazing. They have some exotic birds and reptiles. Although, the guys handling the snake and the iguana are a bit sketchy. They place both on you and take your picture with your camera, but it seems like they are not suppose to do that, and so they are expecting a tip. Just a heads up. The food is not free, which was a little different coming from an all inclusive resort, but it was decent food. The vendors aren't too pushy, except for the turtle guy. He funny though. he got us to come over because he had some turtles to show us. Next thing I knew he was making a bracelet for me and my wife. He was really friendly though, and it was an easy $6 for both. Also, take the little 7 min boat ride over to the Dunns River falls. We didn't see it up close, but we got a great look of it for free. You'll also see Mic Jagger's first home. Which now belongs to the guy who owns Sandals. Yeah, it's big.
All in all, it was a great time. We had a great time. I'm sure you will too.