“A little hint.....” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Couples Tower Isle

You added Couples Tower Isle to your Saves list
Couples Tower Isle
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   St. Mary, Ocho Rios, Jamaica (Formerly Couples Ocho Rio)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #5 of 40 Hotels in Ocho Rios
New York
“A little hint.....”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2004

This is just a little hint for anyone concerned about the 2 hour bus ride from Montego Bay to Ocho Rios. Book a flight instead. It's 75.00 a person and you get to the resort in 20 minutes. Just a little hint,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (598)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2004

My wife and I Honeymooned at COR from 28th June to 13th July. After reading the mixed reviews I was a little anxious about my choice but our trip to COR was a great success.

I would like to comment on items raised on some previous reviews.

1. The bus trip to COR is bad(ish) but we both managed to sleep our way through it, so it couldnt have been that bad !!

2. Rooms...Our room was large, bright and spotlessly clean. The A/C worked fine. ( a bit noisy ) If you get a bad room ask to be moved, its easy.

3. The beach is small but we never ever had a problem with over crowding or getting sun loungers. Also being small, no matter where you are on the beach, you never have to walk far to the bar.

4. Drinks were fine, they probably wont have your preferred brand of beer but red stripe / miller / heineken is enough. The only real let downs were champagn and the wines which were not good quality and there was little, if any, choice. But lets face it you didnt come to Jamaica for the wine did you ? its cocktails all the way.......

5. The buffet gets very boring if you eat breakfast, lunch and dinner there. So try 1 of the other 3 restaurants ( or all 3 ) the food is very good.

6. Staff. As always, if you treat people with respect, you are more likely to get respect back. In general the staff worked very hard to make our honeymoon wonderful, however we noticed that Jamaican women seem to have a somewhat sullen attitude but they are certainly NOT rude.

7. The lift. a reviewer mentioned the lift being old ? It is, but if its ruining your holiday, you need to relax a bit more.

8. All the activities were available just as advertised. Although evening entertainment might not suit a younger crowd ( 20's)

Conclusion.

We had a great time and have no hesitation recommending Couples Ocho Rios to others. The resort is not perfect but we would go back tomorrow if we could. That says it all.

M & M. Dublin, Ireland

4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2004

First off, all those negative reviews certainly had us worried. What a bunch of bunk! If you can't relax & have a great time at COR then you're just looking to be dissatisfied. True, the place has seen better days, but why care about a little peeling paint & less than ultra-modern amenities in paradise? COR has character - if you want sterile, pristine surroundings at a beachfront resort go down the road to the Ritz-Carlton & spend umpteen times more $! Although the ride to/from the airport is harrowing (red stripes along the way will help to relax) we would have paid extra just to see the countryside. Not solely for the beautiful scenery but also the stark view of true Jamaican life. Very eye-opening. It will definitely make you appreciate an all-inclusive resort.
The resort itself offered more than enough to keep you entertained for a long week. The beach is hardly expansive, but plenty of room for personal space. Also, make at least one trip to the nude island - very peaceful! If you're not used to the nude sun-bathing thing, it's no big deal. A little courage & a few drinks will help (along with plenty of sunscreen). Did just about every activtity & thoroughly enjoyed every one. Food wasn't exactly world-class but very good. Drinks were good & plenty, but were usually served at Jamaican speed. But what the hey - where are you going? - you're in paradise! Make sure to ask for double shots though. Dunn's River is a must - but go on Sunday & either bring aqua socks or rent from the road-side stop. They're not kidding when they say these are a must!
The staff, by and large, were very friendly. Everything is NO PROBLEM MON! Most seemed as happy to be at COR as we were. Never a hint of anyone looking for a tip (not so for outside excursions including the bus ride). The nightlife certainly isn't Vegas but can be fun if you participate, especially w/ other couples. Which seemed to be the best part of COR. No frat-boy drunks or cranky old-farts, but a good mix of couples of all ages seemingly devoted to having a fun, laid-back time. We met several couples which we hope become long-time friends. A special HEY to Ken & Brandy, Jim & Stephanie & John & Janie!
One important tip - look out for hurricanes! We just missed Frances coming in & barely escaped Ivan flying out. The resort was good in dealing w/ the influx of guest concerns, though. In between storms, however, was perfect. Can't wait to go back!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2004

My husband and I and another couple visited COR on August 26-31. We absolutely loved the resort. The resort was beautiful, the staff were very friendly and the food was good. The rooms were very nice and very clean. We were really impressed with all the activites that were included such as Dunn's River Falls, horse back riding, snorkeling, scuba diving, etc. We really loved the resort and would recommend anyone to this place. We hope to return to COR in the future.

st louis mo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2004

hi, I have a mixed review of COR, I am a repeat guest there, my husband and I have been there many times and every time we went, we felt like we were going to a family reunion, we know most everyone by name and they us, we support alot of them financially and can never wait to get back, we shoot for at least tree times a year, if not four, we own a restaurant and have alot of public access, we were walkin billboards for COR and have sent many many couples there.On our last visit we spoke in debth with Gary( hotel manager) and also w/ Maxine about our sons upcoming wedding, we set dates and prices, worked out all the details, one very large mistake, I didn't get anything in writing, I just never dreamed I would have needed to, well to make a very long and ugly story short, that Gary would not stand behind what he had quoted, I would not have minded so much if it were just my husband and myself because we felt like the highest of highest prices was worth it to us but we had full commitment for 30 couples, based on the quoted price, when he would not stand behind it , not only did I feel like a fool having to tell all theese people, but I really felt like I had put to much faith in this resort, relizing how many things I had overlooked in the past, just because I couldn't wait to get back to see my favorites, Gary is not Jamaican, and it shows! I can't say that I will never go back, but not as long as he is the manager, he doesn't like noise, he doesn't allow the Jamaican to be themselves, he's only been there one year and if I knew who the owner was, I would do my best to make it his last, I am leaving Mon. for Jamaica to set up wedding plans for a Jan. wedding with the intent of paying Gary a visit while I'm there, and seeing some of my friends that I miss so dearly, a special hello to Eddie! if you are visiting COR for the first time I can assure you that if you take the time to meet the people you will have a wonderful time, as far as comfort, you can't ask for more and if you have to, you will be taken care of. the food is fine, altho thier head cook is in England getting surgery and her return is questionable, the food is still fine, the old rooms are a bit musty at first but open the door, it won't take long to air it out, the pool and beach are a bit cozy but it makes for good mingling, the night entertainment is at it's best, overall I can assure you if you have reservations at COR and are nervous about it, don't be, I have been to other resorts and they all have good and bad points, I could never have found a reason not to go back to COR and I will miss it alot. you go and have a great time, if you need to make any wedding arrangements get it in writing!!!!

Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2004

My husband and I celebrated our 5th anniversary at COR (08/18/04- 08/24/04). We have traveled to other parts of the world but never Jamaica. Our travel agent at AAA told us about COR, because they have more excursions that are included in the package. We were constantly reading information on this wonderful site. We were glad there were good reviews being posted as our trip date approached.

First, make sure you have dollars for tipping; it is very polite to tip good service. There is NO tipping at COR, but if you go off the property the drivers and guides will want a tip so don’t be stingy, remember this is a very poor county. We usually tipped the drivers and guides $3 to $5. We took a lot of cash because there was a safe in the room to store our valuables.

Expect the 2 hour ride, this is a great time to meet some other couples you’ll see around the resort. You’ll also get to see the landscape it’s very interesting and beautiful. Nice introduction to Jamaica. When you arrive at COR like everyone has said you will be treated with champagne and a cold towel. You’ll be welcomed to COR and told were to get a something to eat. This is very important, do not hesitate to fill out the activity sheet. You will have to make reservations for three items. COR has 5 restaurants and 2 of them require reservations. The food was great and there was a constant variety to keep you interested. Plan accordingly they book up fast. Also the horseback riding is another required reservation that fills up fast. They have orientation at 5:00 please go, it only takes a few minutes, you will be more informed of were things are and what’s going on.

COR is so romantic, this is a very relaxed resort. Everyone is so helpful and eager to please you. The grounds are always being manicured, the beach is being sweep and there is always jerk chicken being cooked at The Grill. This was our first all inclusive resort and we were very please. I have a ton of pictures to share if you’d like to view them, email me and I’ll give you the link. My husband and I look forward to going back and we have great pictures to show everyone of this beautiful place in Jamaica. There's lots to do on and off the property so get involved or just relax in my favorite spot, the two person swings located on the garden side. You'll have a wonderful time.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2004

COR is a great resort, where you can leave you care home and enjoy life. We visited the resort from 14-20 Aug 04 and wished that we had a few extra days. The food and drinks are the better. The Staff was always service with a smile. The Activities Staff was great (TERRI ANN, CORNELLA, TRACY) always ensuring that everyone had a good times. If you go, please visit the Paino Bar for a great nite cap. The room rooms were nice and comfortable, but no carpet. But everything else easily mades up for it. If you are looking for a vacation of funa nd relaxation, Cor is for you.
P.S.: Don't be discouraged by the 2 hr drive from the airport. Jamaica roads are in need of much repair. Enjoy your stay.

Been to Couples Tower Isle? Share your experiences!