“Anniversary, vow renewal” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Couples Tower Isle

You added Couples Tower Isle to your Saves list
Couples Tower Isle
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   St. Mary, Ocho Rios, Jamaica (Formerly Couples Ocho Rio)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #6 of 40 Hotels in Ocho Rios
Robertsdale, Alabama
“Anniversary, vow renewal”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

We went to CTI 2/2/13 - 2/7/13, the weather was beautiful, although sometimes a bit windy. It was our 30 year anniversary so we did a vow renewal on the beach. That went very well, it was a lovely ceremony, beautiful scenery, right on the beach, where everyone there was witness.
If you are going to CTI for a relaxing, lounge by the pool, or on the beach atmosphere, then this is definitely the place for you! Bear in mind, that by 2pm or so, you lose alot of sun around the beach or swim up bar, due to the way the hotel is situated, it starts to throw shadows over the pools and beach area fairly early. Get your beach towels and items out there on a beach or pool lounge early, or you won't get one. They do have night time activities, but the piano bar with the piano player and sing along doesn't start until 10:30pm, Most activities (parties) that involve music or dancing, don't begin until 10:30 pm, so, if you are tired of lounging, you may be a tad bored from afternoon to evening. They have activities that involve leaving the resort, such as Dunn's river falls (doesn't cost anything, other then tipping your guides) or a catamaran cruise, but make your reservations for the cruise and for the restaurants on site that require reservations, as soon after you arrive as possible, or you won't get to go.
The rooms were decent, definitely need some serious updating, but since we didn't spend alot of time in the room, that wasn't a big deal. We had an oceanfront room on the 3rd floor of building 3, and the view from the balcony was spectacular! The hairdryer in the room only blew out cold air, so that was a bummer. Couldn't connect to wifi in the room without leaning over the balcony, so most of your internet time will be at the pool.
We had the private dinner on the beach, the food was wonderful! We never did eat at the restaurants that required reservations, but the Grill and the Patio dining area (buffet) were wonderful.
They had a superbowl party on the rooftop patio, the food was great for that as well.
The staff were all very nice, and accommodating.
I had my hair and makeup for the ceremony done at the spa, which was nice, but might've gone better if I had taken a picture to show them how I wanted my hair done, rather then trying to explain it verbally. We also had a couples massage, which was very nice.
To sum it up: Beautiful scenery, good food, small beach area, not enough lounge chairs, so-so room decor, lack of entertainment, piano bar lounge smelled moldy, pleasant staff, wonderful ceremony, and some periods of boredom for us.
I am glad we went, but in comparison to trips we have taken in the past to Cancun and Maya Riviera, we preferred the Mexico trips, they were also all inclusive resorts.

Room Tip: Get an Ocean view room, on a higher floor!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (736)
Northern MN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

I thought Couples TI was a fantastic vacation destination. I really don't have a lot to compare it to as I have only been on a cruise to tropical destinations previously. But, the staff was exceptional. They were like one big family and made us feel like we were also family. There were really small insects in the room but I contributed that to being so close to the ocean and hot and humid. The food was amazing. The 8 Rivers was out of this world as was the Bayside. We ate most of our meals in the buffet. Never had a bad meal there either.

The weather was great. The day we arrived was a red flag day which didn't matter as we didn't get there till the evening. Most days were green flag days so we were able to enjoy all the water sports we wanted to.

We would go back for sure.

Room Tip: Make sure you are on the ocean side to enjoy the beautiful water views.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Crawfordsville, Indiana, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

We just returned from a week at Couples Tower Isle all inclusive resort. This was my first time to stay at an all inclusive and I must say that I was impressed. Here are 10 reasons that Couples Tower Isle gets high marks from us, in no particular order.
1. The food was excellent in all the restuarants.We never had a bad meal and the variety of food was great.
2. The service was excellent from the first minute that we stepped off the bus to the last minute before we had to leave the resort.
3. The people that work here are all very friendly and accommodating.
4. The clients staying here were mostly all American and Canadian english speaking couples from age 29 to age 69. We made alot of good friends in a short time as there was no language barrier.
5. The resort was very clean and well maintained.
6. Our room was cleaned very well daily and on several days after an afternoon nap, our bed was made again that same day.
6. The beach was small, but very clean and not crowded like some larger beaches we have visited.
7. The entertainment was simply amazing. Great musicians and talented dancers entertained us nightly.
8. The bars were nice and the drinks were all good and not watered down.
9.The water sports were fun and the water was warm for swimming.
10.Couples resorts has a lounge and a bar at the airport to greet you and get your vacation started with a pleasant place to relax and have a cocktail while waiting on your transfer.
Overall, this was a wonderful experience and a great place to relax and rekindle your love.

Baltimore, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

This is the first time that I have ever written a review so I will try and give you my honest opinion and some of our good and bad points.

Firstly this is not my first trip to this type of resort. I have been to Sandalls several times in Jamaica , several cruises, and in different resorts through out Mexico. I have been to some fantastic resorts and some not so good resorts and each persons expectations does affect their personal time.

Upon getting to the airport we went to the Couples kiosk and were nicely greated. We had a few beers and walked around for a few minutes. After about 15 minutes we were taken with another couple in a van for the ride to Tower Isle. The other couple was dropped at San Sousi. The ride was longer then I expected, we arrived on a friday and had a lot of traffic heading to Ocho Rios. The ride was over 2 hours and we had to twist the drivers arm to stop for a bathroom break. Once we arrived at Tower Isle we were immediately greated by the staff with a cold towel and asked for our first drink order. Our luggage was taken from the bus and completed handled by the staff. Our check is was easy and we got our drink during check in. We were then taken to our room and give a brief description of the resort. Our room was clean and roomy, althought the resort is old and shows it's age, it is well taken care of in general.

We wondered around for a while once we unpacked out room and found the main bar and the veggie stand. Our first food from the veggie stand was fantastic. My wife doesn't eat meat so we know this would be a popular place for snacks. At 5 pm we went on the official tour and got a good layout of the property. The resort is one of the smallest that I have ever stayed, that can be good and bad but for us it became a little boring.

Nightlife is really non exhistant. They have a piano bar but the pianist doesn't start until 10:30 pm and by the time you spend the day in the sun, eat a good dinner, and have a few drinks, I never saw the pianist.

The beach is small but just fine, since the resort is not huge there was always empty chairs. during the day there were plenty of things happening around the pool and on the beach. My wife and I picked this resort in part because it has an island just off the shore line that in au natural. We spent most of our beach time on the island. They have a small pool, that was very cold, a swim up pool bar, and brought food over at lunch each day. They had a boat dedicated to running people back and forth from the island so getting there was never a problem. There is not a pier or dock on the island so you had to get off the boat nosed into the beach and walk up the beach. Not really a problem but for some older people it could be tough. The bar on the island was not asways stocked but they would call over to the main resort and have anything you want brought over fairly quickly. While I was there they had a problem with water on the island, they had to bring fresh water in containers to clean dishes and you had to take a bucket to the ocean to dump water in the toilet. Wasn't terrable but a bit unsanitary. You expect more from a resort that claims it competes with Sandals.

Lunch was always pretty good and dinner was better then average. Service was spotty, one evening I got a glass of red wine with my dinner, no one asked be to refill my glass until well after I was done my dinner. Other times they were right on top of it. A good way to summarize the resort was by this example. In the main dining room there was 3 chandalears hanging over the salad bar. Only two of the three were lit. That was typical of this resort, they have all the makings of a great resort but can't seem to light all 3 lights.

Overall we had a good trip, we were there from January 18-26 2013. The weather was ok although a little colder then we expected and we did get some rain.

Lastly, If I had any complaints it was the included excursions. We did the margarittaville trip one evening. They touted that we would not have any cover charge and that they staff woudl be there to take care of us. Upon arriving at Margarittaville we were given a large "bong" type of cup and told it was free, as soon as we entered the clup a bartender grabbed the mug and said what do you want to drink. I got a beer and my wife a margaritta, it was $27 for the 2 drinks. The club was almost empty except for our bus and one other that came in right behind us. The second excursion we went on was the free shopping trip. The first place they took us was a small t-shirt and junk shop, we spent 45 minutes there, then we went to a "flea market" don't even get off the bus. Nothing there is worth buying, cheap tiawan made clothing and high pressure. Once couple actually paid $10 just to leave the shop. We were there for another 45 minutes. The last place they took us actually had name brand shops in a mall setting. We only spent 30 minutes there. Save yourself the trouble and just take a taxi to the shopping area and spent a few hours. You will get a lot more out of it. We did not do the Duns River Falls tour as we had done that on previous trips to Jamaica. We did snorkling and it was good. We also did the Catamaran trip and it was very good, really had a good time on that excursion, I would recommend it over anything else.

to summarize, I liked the resort but I do not think it compares to Sandals. For the cost I probably would not return. For the 8 days we spent $4600 including airfare from Baltimore.

Room Tip: We did not have an ocean view room but we could still see the ocean from our rooms so no problems wi...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Couplesops, Manager at Couples Tower Isle, responded to this review, February 6, 2013
Thank you for your response. We appreciate your feedback and regret that you were not satified with the inclusions. Couples Tower Isle boasts having more inclusions than any other resort on the island. These include Duns River Falls, Catamaran Cruises, Margaritavile and Shopping excursions. We usually inform all our guests during Orientation, the Beach Party and at the weekly Managers' Coctail Party about the arrangements for Margaritaville which states that we cover charges for trasportation and entrance fees however guests are required to pay for beverages. Thank you for choosing Couples Tower Isle and we look forward to welcoming you back.
Fargo, North Dakota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

I read a ton of reviews before we went. It helped in knowing what to expect. We spent a week there on our honeymoon in the beginning of January. Weather was great. We did the catamaran and would recommend it, as well as Dunns River Falls. I can comment on a couple things that I saw good and bad reviews on. Get the upgrade to the Ocean view. I'm not sure what the garden views looked like, but it couldn't have been better than our view. The room service food was average to slightly below average. But outside the room service food, the food was excellent. Different options each night. I highly recommend the bayside restaurant. That was our favorite dining experience.
The resort is not a huge property like others. It has I think around 200 rooms. Which made the resort comfortable for us, as we got to know a few other couples while we were there. So don't go expecting miles of beach or anything. It takes about 5 minutes to walk from one side to the other.
The rooms were small, but adequate. I really don't have any complaints about the rooms. There was a shower only, but I thought the shower was great.
Lastly the service from the employees was also great. That alone might be the reason we go back.

Room Tip: Upgrade to Ocean side.
West Des Moines, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

We returned last weekend from a wonderful 7 day vacation at Couples Tower Isle. All of my concerns and worries that arose from reading through the reviews here on TripAdvisor were easily put aside and forgotten. It was definitely one of the best vacations I've had. I would highly recommend CTI to anyone looking for a vacation in Jamaica!
There are so many positive reviews below I won’t hash over again the same topics. But I will address some of the negative reviews below with my thoughts. Yes, the property is older. It is not the Ritz and you will see some wear and tear. The room did have a slight musty smell which you quickly get used to. But everything was very clean and well cared for. The maids did a great job of cleaning the room inside and out. The pools, whirlpools and grounds were also well cared for and everything looked great. Speaking of the whirlpools, we were able to use the whirlpools by the spa at night once the spa closed. These are a little more secluded and were a little nicer than the other hot tubs.
We had no issues making reservations right off the bat for both Bayside and Eight Rivers. The guest desk had had us fill out a dinning request form right after we checked in and we received both of our requests. I also went back a couple days later and asked for an additional night at Bayside which we received. I’m sure we could have eaten at those two restaurants more, but I wanted others to have the opportunity as well. Some people will book up each of their nights in one of these two restaurants and I don’t feel that’s fair for everyone. We ate two nights at The Verandah, which did not require reservations, and totally enjoyed the service and meals. Our other two nights were at the buffet when all the restaurants were closed. I’m not a buffet person, but the meals were outstanding there as well. Overall the food was fantastic.
We easily were able to book the catamaran, water skiing, glass bottom boat, scuba etc… Once again, not sure how some of the others in the reviews below weren't able to, as the property was sold out when we were there, but never crowded. I’m sure the key is just scheduling your week upfront with the things you want to do and you should be able to. If you wait till the last minute then you may be out of luck. We did arrive late on a Saturday afternoon, which I would guess is the most popular day for arrivals. I could see if someone was coming in on Sunday that they may not get there choices of restaurants or activities the first few days. I would think coming in on a Friday may be the best day to arrive.
On a side note, as I mentioned above, we arrived in Jamaica late Saturday afternoon the 19th. Since that is the busiest travel day and time at the airport in Montego Bay I arranged a travel package with Club Mobay. We were met at the plane and guided past the two hour wait at immigration and customs and quickly whisked to the Club Mobay and Couples waiting lounges. Highly recommend this if you’re arriving at a busy time.
We never had an issue with CTI running out of premium liquor. Actually Crown Royal is my favorite and all of the bars had it. There were always plenty of premium favorites at each bar throughout the day. They restock your mini-fridge each day with the liquor (not premium) of your choice and two Red Stripe beers. Make sure to bring a bottle opener with you for the beer.
We also had green flags each day. I was a little worried when some of the recent reviews described their red flag days. Guess we got lucky our week with the weather (or maybe those folks just were unlucky).
I did bring a lot of $1’s for tipping and it was always appreciated. They do not expect it, but it’s nice to give to show respect, which is the word they use when you tip them.
There is not much of a night life at the resort, and that was fine for us. We had a couple late nights at the piano bar which was fun.
We had an awesome time and look forward to hopefully returning in the future. We met quite a few couples who split their time between the different Couples Resorts. That seems to be a great idea as well.

Room Tip: We were ocean side, just over the swim up bar. Not bad, but would have liked a higher room. The ins...
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I chose this resort to celebrate our anniversary. When we arrived we were immediately impressed with the condition of the resort and the service. This is an older resort that recently underwent renovations - hats off to management who managed to update the resort but at the same time maintain the original vibe and charm.

As we have come to expect with Couples the food was very good. Service in all areas was excellent as the staff made sure that all guests needs were taken care of.

We will definitely consider returning.

Stayed February 2013
Couples Negril
#10 of 91 in Negril
4.5 of 5 stars 3,553 reviews
Sandals Ochi Beach Resort

Been to Couples Tower Isle? Share your experiences!