“Simply The Best” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Couples Tower Isle

Save Saved
You added Couples Tower Isle to your Saves list
Couples Tower Isle
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   St. Mary, Ocho Rios, Jamaica (Formerly Couples Ocho Rio)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #5 of 39 hotels in Ocho Rios
Leicester, United Kingdom
“Simply The Best”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

We returned to Couples Tower Isle in December 2012 to get married and have the honeymoon. We had looked elsewhere in Jamaica to make sure that we had the right location but nothing could get close to the quality and style of Tower Isle.

The hotel is smaller than most which gives it a more relaxed and friendly atmosphere. The staff help to boost the comfortable feeling of the resort as they all seem to be happy in their work…which is rare.

It is sometimes difficult to objectively review a hotel when there is so little to be negative about. Compared to other hotels that we have stayed at in Jamaica the standard of food and service is exceptional. The variety of food available meant that no one in our party went hungry through lack of choice and the quality was excellent.

I saw a review on here that mentioned that certain premium brands weren’t available at all times. I certainly didn’t experience that inconvenience. In fact it was premium brands all the way, including the mini bar. If I could have a slight moan it would be that the beer in the mini bar was Carib but I read an article recently saying that this is being changed to Red Stripe so I can’t even have a whinge about that!!

The entertainment available and the entertainment team were unparalleled. If I was Simon Cowell I would have snapped up the steel band for the next “…..’s Got Talent”. The entertainment team had just the right amount of inclusion in the games. There was no pushing to get involved and their enthusiasm was such that it was fun just to watch from the side lines.

I also need to mention the Wedding Coordinator and guest services who made the wedding the most special day of our lives.

As with any trip to the Caribbean from Europe I would recommend staying as long as possible. There were people staying for a week which is never enough when you include the flights.
Finally I would stress that this is a Caribbean resort and therefore things may not go at the lightning speed that people are used to compared to the big metropolis. Kickback, chill out and enjoy the far less stressful way of life. You will love it.

Room Tip: Rooms with a sea view are outstanding

1,950 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (514)
Brampton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013 via mobile

This was our second trip here and what made it great was that it was our wedding & honeymoon. What can I tell you guys it was simply amazing. The hotel took care of everything single we had to do. As I'm writing this review I'm lost for words to explain what we had experienced here. This place is strictly for romance. The staff, accommodation, food, beach you name it were out of this world amazing. Please go see it for yourself you won't be disappointed.

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Ottawa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

Introduction

I booked my trip through itravel2000. Flew Westjet. The package was through Sunquest.

WestJet

I have to say for the first time EVER (in my 20 years of travelling down south) I was not able to get a seat next to my travelling partner (in this case my husband). I had thought it might have been because I did not choose my seats on line the day before but supposedly for my package I was not even permitted to have this option. Something I need to consider for the future in terms of bookings since I don't want to run into this issue again. Not sure if this is a WestJet issue or a Sunquest issue...

Also, just a reminder for all those that might forget - the only complimentary items that WestJet provide are water/soda/juices and a tiny bag of cookies or bits and bites (they offer this twice during the 4.5 hour flight). You have to pay for earphones, alcohol and any other food that you may want to consume on the flight. My sense was that they don't have any significant meals offered on the flight even if you purchase them - a sandwich is probably as substantial as you are going to get therefore make sure you eat before you get on the plane!

Couples Airport Lounge

They offer bottled water and beer. It was nice in terms of the bottled water since you can bring this with you on the 2 hour bus ride to Ocho Rios. They also have individual bathrooms in the lounge which is also a nice touch so that you don't have to go looking for a bathroom when you land you can just head straight to the Couples lounge and use the washroom there. It was about 20 min there so it felt good not to be rushed to get on the bus as soon as we arrived there.

Check-in

It is true that they offer you a towel to wipe off and rum punch as soon as you arrive. No wait to get checked in. The check in lady was very friendly. As well, I had thought that I had misplaced my laptop bag when I was checking in and insisted I had the laptop bag with me when I got off the bus but in the end, thank goodness they insisted on checking the bus since I had left it there. Fortunately the bus driver was still within the vicinity since it was a good 30 min after arriving that I realized I was missing my laptop. Just to show you the level of service here, the person who had brought our bags to our room (Emond I think it was?) came to the dining area to let me know that they had found the bag so that I wasn't going to be worrying through lunch. That is what I found throughout my stay - the staff anticipate my needs before I even think of it myself.

Room

Our room was lovely with an oceanview. It was very clean and although you could tell it was not new, there was nothing wrong with the room that one could truly complain about. The air conditioner worked great so that I did not feel a dampness in the room. The only minor down side was that our room faced the more noisy pool but it was only during the day whereby if we kept our balcony door open the noise was too much. The walls did appear to be thin whereby you could hear people walking above us and in the hall way quite easily but it was nothing significant that would have ruined our trip or ask for a room change or anything like that. If people are very sensitive to noise, I would recommend bringing ear plugs for sleeping at night. One benefit of the room was that you can get bottle of alcohol (such as rum) without having to stay at a higher level room which is the case with a resort like Sandals.

Restaurants

There are 3 a la carte restaurants and with 2 of them you need to make reservations. I found the service at the Veranda restaurant to be a bit slower than the other 2 a la carte restaurants (Bayside which is the Asian restaurant and 8 Rivers which offers continental cuisine). I think this is because they can't plan the evening as well since people do not need to make reservations. Therefore it would take them a bit longer to notice that my husband's wine needed re-filling. At the same time, my favourite meal was at the Verandah restaurant. One night they had lobster for their special and it was fantastic and so easy to eat since they cut the lobster due to the way they cut the lobster. I guess it would make sense this restaurant would be as good since they share the same kitchen as the 5 star restaurant (Eight Rivers) You can make as many reservations as you want at the a la carte restaurants. Also, the menu at the a la carte restaurants change - at least for 2 of them they did while we were there. Hence even more reason to go back more than once to each restaurant! Therefore we ate at each of the 3 restaurants twice each and the only time we ate the buffet for dinner was for the beach party. They put out a pretty good spread as well. One thing I noticed was that the desserts at the beach party was especially good. Since I did not go to any of the other dinner buffets not sure if the selection was the same. All I know is for the lunch buffets the dessert selection was not as good as at the beach party buffet. What I liked about the lunch buffets was that during the week they also offer an a la carte option for the entree. So you are getting the best of both worlds. We did try the lunch patio (pool grill) once but compared to the lunch buffet it is not even comparable. Also, the veggie bar was not as impressive as I had initially thought it would be. But to be fair, I did not eat there as much as I would have liked. I did not have a chance to sample any of their sandwiches. I only tried the sweet potato chips/dip (which was good) and their smoothie once. Which is better than at the breakfast buffet. They also have coconut water from a real coconut at the veggie bar.

Overall, the food was very good. Since I felt the need to try everything I was so full after every meal. They were especially good at offering a section of the buffet which included Jamaican/Caribbean food. The only downsides were that the fruit wasn't all that tasty. Perhaps it was the time of year or something but the pineapple did not taste super sweet. They did not have papaya or mango or some of the other exotic fruits I have seen at other resorts such as in Mexico and Dominican. But perhaps Jamaica just does not have those types of fruit as readily available. Also, the "catch of the day" tended to be always red snapper. No variety there.

Excursions

We went on the glass bottom boat tour. Not very exciting. If you run out of time, don't worry if you miss this one. I could barely see anything worthwhile. We also went on the Catamaran cruise - had no trouble going on this cruise. Not sure if it was the time of year but we did not have 65 people crammed onto one boat or anything like that. However, the weather was not good on the day we went - rainy and windy. So the waves were choppy and I ended up getting sea sick. However, for most people it did not seem to really bother them so I'm sure most people would be just fine. Actually my husband liked the choppy waves since he felt it made for a more exciting ride. Warning: the photographers on the cruise will push hard to sell the pictures of you they take while on the cruise. Especially if they don't make a lot of sales with the other customers. On the cruise they serve rum punch and some sandwiches, cheeses and chocolate covered fruit. They also stop off so that you can take a dip (which was the nicest part of the trip for me since I wasn't sick on the boat!). I thought the water was going to be cold due to the wind but it was actually quite nice. Therefore wear swimsuits and bring towels!

The best excursion for me was the Dunn's River Falls. Since I had read about how aggressive the vendors are there and even the guide on the tour of the falls, I was a bit apprehensive. However, we did not experience any of that. Not sure if it was due to the day/time we went or what. On the day we went there was no cruise boat docked - although when I had asked during the time of booking they told me that one does not have to worry about any cruise ships since they go early enough to avoid the cruise ship passengers. I think going early definitely helped in terms of the vendors since I think many of them were not even set up so we were able to sail through to get to the exit. They have a Couples rep escort us to the falls and he was fantastic. He gave us all the ins and outs to make us feel reassured. Also made sure to take us to a vendor who rented/sold water shoes since she was cheaper than trying to do this right at the falls. It is $5 to rent and $15 to buy the shoes. I just bought some at Walmart before going for $7. You could probably even find some at the dollar store for even cheaper! The falls were not as difficult to climb as people make it out to be. There were many parts to rest and relax it was not a steep climb the entire way through. Also, there are sections whereby you can get dunked in water which was a lot of fun. There is a videographer who accompanies the group and you can buy a DVD for $40. There is only 1 guide for about 30 people or so. The guides does expect a tip so make sure that you have something for him at the end. It is recommended that you bring a water camera if you want to take pictures during this portion. someone told me as well you can buy a water case for your camera for such occasions.

Shopping excursion - it's true what they say in the other reviews. It is a waste of time. I went on the one to Island Village. They first take you to a place called Rainbows (at least I think that is the name). The prices at Rainbows although you are free to barter are higher than at the resort store. That turned me off right away. Next, they take you to Island Village where they tell you that many of the stores are closed (which makes me wonder why they are even taking us there). The stores are more high end boutiques than a market whereby you can get some good deals. You know it's not a good sign when the bus driver offers to take us to a craft market afterwards if we wanted and out of the 25+ people on the bus and no one wanted to go. Likely because we all knew that it would be another tourist trap with over priced items. I asked the bus driver about my interest in going to Hi Lo which is a supermarket whereby people can get good deals on liquor and coffee which are the main items that people like to get in Jamaica but the driver expressed no interest in going there even though it was not that far away from where we were. We were given 1 hour at Island Village which was more than enough time there given the lack of stores. The cheapest deal I could find for Blue Mountain Coffee (Jablum) was $13 for 1/2 lb (8oz) for the beans. The biggest discount they would give was 10%. At the Rainbows store, the lowest price was $15 for 1/2 lb of Blue Mountain Coffee. At the airport, the coffee prices were not cheaper.

I was told that if I wanted to go to the Hi-Lo grocery store from the resort (by guest services) was that it would cost me $30 roundtrip. Not sure if would have been cheaper to just flag a taxi outside of the resort...

The cheapest place that I could buy coffee without being able to go to Hi-Lo was the supermarket within walking distance from the resort (which is only 5 min walk) called June's Supermarket. They had the same coffee mentioned above for $13. I managed to barter down to $12/bag for 5 bags but it was tough. I made the mistake of buying my liquor there. You won't go wrong by buying the liquor at the airport. However, one cavet is that they don't offer as much variety in terms of the rum cream at the airport - when I was there I only saw coffee flavoured and the regular flavoured rum cream. At June's supermarket I saw coconut and banana and possibly others. The price difference of the Sangsters' rum cream at the supermarket and airport were not significant. Perhaps about $1 difference so if you want a specific flavour I would recommend buying it at the supermarket. Where I saw a HUGE price difference are as follows:

Appleton Estate Reserve 750 mL - paid about $23.50 at the grocery store - at airport it was $16

Appleton Estate V/X 750 mL - paid about $18 at the grocery store - at airport it was $13.

Shopping at the resort store was not bad. If you compare it to the prices for things you would buy at home in Canada. For example, I was able to buy 2 bikinis for about $30 each taxes in.

* excursions all seemed to leave on time

Activities

Prior to going, I wondered if they really offered all those activities listed on their website. I am proud to indicate that they did offer a majority of the classes. For example, while I was there I saw postings for cooking class, step class, spinning class, yoga class, massage class etc. Not sure if they offer these classes all the time or if they just happen to have an instructor visiting at the resort who get a discount for offering their services. I took 2 yoga classes and 1 spinning class. Both instructors were from Toronto, Canada. They offered classes both in the morning and afternoon which I thought was pretty flexible!

We also managed to take the paddle surfing boards out. This was a lot of fun. Tip: when the weather is nice make sure to do all the sports activities since about half of our trip (if not more), the weather was windy and not as sunny so you could not engage in the water sports. Also, this also prevented us from trying out the au naturel island. The boat would not take us to the island since the water was too choppy and therefore they felt it was not safe for people to be going in and out of the boat. This was fine by me - it was more my husband who wanted the experieince.

Alcohol

Yes they do provide premium alcohol such as Hennessy. The piano bar is the place to go. They have a sing-a-long with a piano player at night.

Departure

We happened to be departing the resort at 6:15 am in the morning and we were concerned about not having an opportunity to eat anything prior to our departure. They made sure to have a continental breakfast for us ready with coffee, tea, juice, crossaints, muffins, etc. Also a nice touch was that we did not have to go look in some binder to ensure about our departure. They put the form that you fill out at the start in terms of your flight info in your room the night before with the departure time info. Although one tip is for them to leave it in a spot where one could notice it better. They had placed this form on top of the resort binder in the room. I only happened to notice it because I happen to look at the resort info binder. If they would have placed it say on top of the bed it would be more readily noticed by the guest.

Conclusion

We've been to Ocho Rios once before about 2 1/2 years ago for our wedding. That time we stayed at a Sandals resort (now it is the Jewel) Dunn's River). We paid less for this trip than for Sandals and we had gone during the low season to Sandals (in April). However, the service of the staff and the fact that there are many more activities and exclusions included in the price makes the Couples resort a far better choice. We can't wait to try all of the Couples Resorts in the future! I had read somewhere on line that the staff have shares in the resort which would make sense in terms of how many of them have been there for years and since all of the staff seem genuinely happy to work there. We really enjoyed the small size of the resort and the fact that it never seemed crowded.

I have also never given 5 stars for a rating for any hotel/resort ever. So this shows you how impressed I was with this resort.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
New York, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

My girlfriend and I booked a trip here for Xmas week a few weeks prior to our visit. We based our decision primarily on the reviews from trip advisor and a few other web sites. We are from NY city and are definitely a little spoiled and have experienced many top notch hotels, restaurants, etc. For this trip, our goal was to book something that wouldn't break the bank, where we could get away and catch some R and R. We went in with expectations that were modest. We knew we were not going to a four seasons - we were going to an all inclusive spot on a beach. The bottom line is we simply could not be happier with our decision. The staff is so friendly and warm. The food is beyond solid. The Resort itself is beautiful. We have found it peaceful. Many, many fun activities ( we have played tennis, worked out in fitness room, went sailing, surf paddling ( you know, when you stand on a board land paddle), and many others.

Knowing that the ride from the airport is an hour and a half was helpful so we priced it into our travel expectations. The rooms are fine. Not amazing, but totally fine which is what we had expected. I could go on and on but I wanted to "pay it forward" and alleviate any concerns people may have. It's Jamaica, mon, and the Couples Towe Isle was everything we hoped and a lot more.

Room Tip: We went with the superior deluxe beachfront. Awesome. Writing this from the balcony!
Usk, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

My partner and I had an amazing first holiday together at Couples Tower, Ocho Rios. The staff and the service they provided was just brilliant. Stunning hotel kept really really clean and we had amazing views from our balcony. I am vegetarian but my partner is not, the food choice was awesome for us both. We would go definitely go back! A must do trip (which is included in the price) is Dunns River Falls, what a brilliant day out.

Room Tip: Sea view room, breakfast on your balcony with amazing views! Bliss!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

We booked Couples Tower because it was one of the only places that provided transportation from Montego Bay and diving (including diving for beginners). I read the reviews on trip advisor and I would not rate this resort at 4.5 stars. 4.5 stars to me means that it's close to being the Ritz or Four Seasons as it would be in the States and it's not even close to it. Here is what would hopefully be useful to other travelers:
Diving is not all inclusive as advertised- I booked a package and had the travel company call to confirm that I would be able to try scuba diving on a weekend day free of charge. There are stipulations with diving and flying, so I had to be able to try diving on the weekend. When we arrived, they gave us a schedule and "scuba clinic" appeared on the schedule for Saturday. When I went to the dive shop, however, the dive instructors told me that this is not true anymore and that I would be charged $130 US dollars if I wanted to dive on Saturday. I showed them the schedule that the hotel hands out and they emphasized (in a unkind way mind you) that I was either out of luck or had to pay. Even though the travel company called to confirm that I could go several times on a weekend day, this was a major disappointment and I would have never booked the resort if I would have known that it wasn't included. My boyfriend is a certified diver and there are stipulations for certified divers as well, ie, night dives cost $50 and so on...
Food- The food here is not good. We don't consider ourselves foodies, but the buffet food (Patio Restaurant) and formal dining (8 Rivers) were not good. We basically ordered the room service cheeseburgers on multiple days and that sustained us. The good food is actually out in downtown Ocho Rios (although the front desk will discourage you from even leaving the hotel, let alone eating elsewhere). The best place to eat is on main street in Ocho Rios called " Jerk Chicken". If we would have known about this place earlier, we probably would have dined there the whole time =)
Water - There is no bottled water at this resort. Granted, they give you full size alcohol bottles, but bottled water is not provided and can't be purchased anywhere on the property. They provide you with an empty container to use for your beverage of choice, but if you go on excursions like we do, this small container won't cut it. We had to go to a gas station to get enough water which doesn't make sense for an all-inclusive resort.
Nude Island - The scenery is really beautiful and peaceful at this resort. However, if you are thinking that you can wear clothes and still go to the island it is not true. The boat driver said that he had to confirm that we would take off our clothes before letting us board the boat. This information doens't come with the hotel manual by the way, so we refused and didn't get to visit the island. The boat driver subsequently yelled at his colleague because the guy didn't check with us first.
Rooms - We booked the superior ocean view room. I had called the Couples phone number before I booked our package and they said that this type of room had an en-suite jacuzzi tub. The room doesn't have it and there is only a shower. We met other couples that ran into this problem as well and I probably would have given a higher rating if the jacuzzi tub was actually there.

The scenery is beautiful, but this hotel is very dated. I will say, however, that the operations manager at the hotel (I'm not sure of her name) was very helpful when we ran into a problem with one of our day trips. If you are looking for a driver to take you around, have the hotel call Mr. Barrett. He was the friendliest person we met on our trip and he will watch out for you and your safety. The scenery is 4.5 stars, but the resort itself is more like a 2/2.5 based on the problems we ran into during our stay. I wouldn't recommend it and we won't be going back. Be leary of their "inclusions" when booking this resort!

Arkansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

We just returned from our fourth trip to this resort. I could write volumes to tell you about every detail but I'll keep it fairly short. I love the decor. It was built in the 40s so it feels like I'm a stepping back in time or out of time and totally disconnected from my stressful everyday life. Love the simple elegant art deco style of the place, and it's still very practical. Lush carpets and fabrics would not hold up in this environment. Yes the beach is very small, but for the number of rooms it is totally adequate and it is completely private so there are no vendors hustling you. The food is usually out of this world. This time the island was recovering from Hurricane Sandy and the fruit crops were destroyed. We in the US are so spoiled by having our food sourced from all over the Western hemisphere that most of us have no concept of not having anything we want when we want it. I recommend the fresh seafood and the snapper sandwiches are one of the things i miss the most. Still, I certainly did not lack for great meals and the servers made a special effort to get me special treats, i love the creme brulee, that weren't even on the menu when I asked for them. That made up for the fruit shortage. The staff is legendary for catering to their guests. One server remembered our pranks from two years previous and picked back up with us like it had been last week. They cater especially to repeat guests and get to know your preferences. While signing in on arrival I found my favorite drink in my hand without asking for it. Those are the kinds of things that make it a special place to me, and yes, I will be back again next year.

• Stayed December 2012

Been to Couples Tower Isle? Share your experiences!