“Great hotel, great staff!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Couples Tower Isle

You added Couples Tower Isle to your Saves list
Couples Tower Isle
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   St. Mary, Ocho Rios, Jamaica (Formerly Couples Ocho Rio)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #5 of 40 Hotels in Ocho Rios
Usk, United Kingdom
“Great hotel, great staff!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

My partner and I had an amazing first holiday together at Couples Tower, Ocho Rios. The staff and the service they provided was just brilliant. Stunning hotel kept really really clean and we had amazing views from our balcony. I am vegetarian but my partner is not, the food choice was awesome for us both. We would go definitely go back! A must do trip (which is included in the price) is Dunns River Falls, what a brilliant day out.

Room Tip: Sea view room, breakfast on your balcony with amazing views! Bliss!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (578)
California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

We booked Couples Tower because it was one of the only places that provided transportation from Montego Bay and diving (including diving for beginners). I read the reviews on trip advisor and I would not rate this resort at 4.5 stars. 4.5 stars to me means that it's close to being the Ritz or Four Seasons as it would be in the States and it's not even close to it. Here is what would hopefully be useful to other travelers:
Diving is not all inclusive as advertised- I booked a package and had the travel company call to confirm that I would be able to try scuba diving on a weekend day free of charge. There are stipulations with diving and flying, so I had to be able to try diving on the weekend. When we arrived, they gave us a schedule and "scuba clinic" appeared on the schedule for Saturday. When I went to the dive shop, however, the dive instructors told me that this is not true anymore and that I would be charged $130 US dollars if I wanted to dive on Saturday. I showed them the schedule that the hotel hands out and they emphasized (in a unkind way mind you) that I was either out of luck or had to pay. Even though the travel company called to confirm that I could go several times on a weekend day, this was a major disappointment and I would have never booked the resort if I would have known that it wasn't included. My boyfriend is a certified diver and there are stipulations for certified divers as well, ie, night dives cost $50 and so on...
Food- The food here is not good. We don't consider ourselves foodies, but the buffet food (Patio Restaurant) and formal dining (8 Rivers) were not good. We basically ordered the room service cheeseburgers on multiple days and that sustained us. The good food is actually out in downtown Ocho Rios (although the front desk will discourage you from even leaving the hotel, let alone eating elsewhere). The best place to eat is on main street in Ocho Rios called " Jerk Chicken". If we would have known about this place earlier, we probably would have dined there the whole time =)
Water - There is no bottled water at this resort. Granted, they give you full size alcohol bottles, but bottled water is not provided and can't be purchased anywhere on the property. They provide you with an empty container to use for your beverage of choice, but if you go on excursions like we do, this small container won't cut it. We had to go to a gas station to get enough water which doesn't make sense for an all-inclusive resort.
Nude Island - The scenery is really beautiful and peaceful at this resort. However, if you are thinking that you can wear clothes and still go to the island it is not true. The boat driver said that he had to confirm that we would take off our clothes before letting us board the boat. This information doens't come with the hotel manual by the way, so we refused and didn't get to visit the island. The boat driver subsequently yelled at his colleague because the guy didn't check with us first.
Rooms - We booked the superior ocean view room. I had called the Couples phone number before I booked our package and they said that this type of room had an en-suite jacuzzi tub. The room doesn't have it and there is only a shower. We met other couples that ran into this problem as well and I probably would have given a higher rating if the jacuzzi tub was actually there.

The scenery is beautiful, but this hotel is very dated. I will say, however, that the operations manager at the hotel (I'm not sure of her name) was very helpful when we ran into a problem with one of our day trips. If you are looking for a driver to take you around, have the hotel call Mr. Barrett. He was the friendliest person we met on our trip and he will watch out for you and your safety. The scenery is 4.5 stars, but the resort itself is more like a 2/2.5 based on the problems we ran into during our stay. I wouldn't recommend it and we won't be going back. Be leary of their "inclusions" when booking this resort!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Arkansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

We just returned from our fourth trip to this resort. I could write volumes to tell you about every detail but I'll keep it fairly short. I love the decor. It was built in the 40s so it feels like I'm a stepping back in time or out of time and totally disconnected from my stressful everyday life. Love the simple elegant art deco style of the place, and it's still very practical. Lush carpets and fabrics would not hold up in this environment. Yes the beach is very small, but for the number of rooms it is totally adequate and it is completely private so there are no vendors hustling you. The food is usually out of this world. This time the island was recovering from Hurricane Sandy and the fruit crops were destroyed. We in the US are so spoiled by having our food sourced from all over the Western hemisphere that most of us have no concept of not having anything we want when we want it. I recommend the fresh seafood and the snapper sandwiches are one of the things i miss the most. Still, I certainly did not lack for great meals and the servers made a special effort to get me special treats, i love the creme brulee, that weren't even on the menu when I asked for them. That made up for the fruit shortage. The staff is legendary for catering to their guests. One server remembered our pranks from two years previous and picked back up with us like it had been last week. They cater especially to repeat guests and get to know your preferences. While signing in on arrival I found my favorite drink in my hand without asking for it. Those are the kinds of things that make it a special place to me, and yes, I will be back again next year.

• Stayed December 2012
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012 via mobile

We were a bit hesitant about booking at Tower Isle, just because the whole "au natural" thing isn't really what we're into. Turned out that this is completely a non-issue, go to the island if you want or hang by the pool or beach if you want. You'll be guaranteed a fabulous time either way.

I would say this is not a big party resort, so if that's what you're looking for you can make a better choice. If you're looking for a great couples resort to lay back and just enjoy each other then there is no better choice than Tower Isle. I guess you could claim that the rooms are a bit outdated, but really they're not - I think it's more of the style of the resort. The rooms are super comfortable, but I would upgrade to the premier ocean room because its well worth the few extra dollars for the spectacular view and to listen to the surf in the morning and evening.

The food is incredible for an all inclusive. I'll give that there is not the selection as in the huge factory type all inclusives, but there is a good selection and the reservation restaurants Bayside and Eight Rivers are not to be missed. We did not have a bad meal the whole eight days we were there. Drinks were great and plentiful, premium brands are available - a discrete small tip will is most appreciated by the staff. Don't get me wrong no tipping is required, but it seems to be appreciated.

The staff are fantastic, laid back and know your name from the second day you are there. Can't say enough about this resort, simply a relaxing and fantastic time.

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Yorkshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

This hotel is fantastic. As a travel agent I would highly reccomment this hotel to my clients. The lobby area is chic and the big glass windows over look out on to the ocean and the tower isle. The 2 alacart restaurants Eight Rivers and Bayside need reservations. Only time you can book are 7.00 7.30 and 8 (i believe) I do usually like to eat around 8.30 - 9pm but no real issue. Patio is buffett with a small alacart menu at lunch and evening. Breakfast usual caribbean all inclusive, made to order eggs, pancakes fresh fruit etc. Champagne also on offer, loved it! The Verandah is a lovely looking restaurant but we never ate there. Lots of fish on the menu and my other half doesnt eat fish. The pool areas are very well kept and spotless clean. The bed covers float so can take these in the sea and pool with you.... amazing! never seem these before. The snack bar around the pool is very good quailty food and quick serving.
the staff are amazing! the only staff that let the team down were the reception staff, who could be a little short with you. the staff where you book meals/excursions are fab too.
The rooms are a little dated for the resort. bathrooms are lovely however the shower has no power what so ever. Didnt have the flooding problem I have erad in many reviews as the shower wasnt powerful enough. great mini bar always stocked up and good working aircon. the bottles put in your room for you, are a lovely touch and you get to take these home. the bottles is to use at the gym or bring water back to your room. No leakages and good to take on trips with you. The free excursions are fab, dunns river is a must. we didnt take a waterproof camera but did purchase the pic the dunns river staff take at only $8. The restrooms in public areas are spotless clean and look new. Even the pool restrooms are spotless all day and again look brand new!
The tower isle is only for nudests. you cant even go for a visit if your not a nudest. such a shame as there is a look out tower on there that my other half really wanted to go to look at. Pool towels are available at little baskets around the pool and are very thick and long. It does seem to get a lot of repeat customer does the tower isle and i can really see why. My only bug was my room view. We had a garden view room and I looked straight on to the road....The rodf down from the main road to the hotel is only small and at the top you could see the main road and all cars zooming past. Didnt really use the balcony of my room becuase of this. The little road into the hotel is only short so could hear car noise as well as see them. Over all 4*PLUS!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Cleveland, Ohio, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

Look, there are a ton of positive reviews on this resort so maybe I am off base. I have been to numerous AI resorts in Mexico (Secerts/Dreams/Excellence), Four Seasons, St Regis, etc... and I will not be returning to Couples Tower Isle.

First off, the staff is extremely nice and friendly. No complaints here.

My shortfalls.

Room (Ocean Front Jr Suite) - Dated at best. Feels like a late 80s remodel. Bed wasn't comfortable, room not exceptional clean

Food - The resort tries to make the restaurants overly fancy, but the food doesn't measure up. I understand this place is AI and not going to be 5 star food for the price I am paying, but in comparison to other resorts I have visited at a better price point, the food doesn't measure up. Breakfast is so-so, Lunch is glorified buffet, and dinner is average. The resort does reservations for the "nice" restaurants which limits your available options..... I found this annoying as I could only eat at the nice place once in my 4 night stay.....

Resort - Activities are aplenty. You will not be bored if that's your bag. If your looking for something a bit more relaxing, I don't recommend.

Bottom Line - Travel and Leisure and Trip Advisor rate this place very high. I didn;t see it, think I severely overpaid, and will NOT return nor do I recommend to anyone. There are many better places to spend your hard earned money....

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012

After my 6 day stay, I realized why high end and expensive AI chain has their return clientele. The food was to die for. I honestly did not taste one bad dish at this hotel. The bartenders and waiters were very friendly and prompt. They treated you very well, without expecting a tip. The pool/beach servers were non-existent. My two biggest problems with this resort were 1) the outdated rooms and 2) the beach. They really need to update there rooms. When you are paying close to $2,300 pp you expect a pretty flawless room. The paint on the walls were cracked and the bathroom was horrible. The beach is more like the shoreline of a lake. You might be able to go in about 10feet before it becomes unsuitable for swimming. I spoke to the manager and he was not willing to allow us to visit the sister properties for a proper swim. That was disheartening, specially considering it was our honeymoon.

Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Couples Tower Isle? Share your experiences!