We booked Couples Tower because it was one of the only places that provided transportation from Montego Bay and diving (including diving for beginners). I read the reviews on trip advisor and I would not rate this resort at 4.5 stars. 4.5 stars to me means that it's close to being the Ritz or Four Seasons as it would be in the States and it's not even close to it. Here is what would hopefully be useful to other travelers:
Diving is not all inclusive as advertised- I booked a package and had the travel company call to confirm that I would be able to try scuba diving on a weekend day free of charge. There are stipulations with diving and flying, so I had to be able to try diving on the weekend. When we arrived, they gave us a schedule and "scuba clinic" appeared on the schedule for Saturday. When I went to the dive shop, however, the dive instructors told me that this is not true anymore and that I would be charged $130 US dollars if I wanted to dive on Saturday. I showed them the schedule that the hotel hands out and they emphasized (in a unkind way mind you) that I was either out of luck or had to pay. Even though the travel company called to confirm that I could go several times on a weekend day, this was a major disappointment and I would have never booked the resort if I would have known that it wasn't included. My boyfriend is a certified diver and there are stipulations for certified divers as well, ie, night dives cost $50 and so on...
Food- The food here is not good. We don't consider ourselves foodies, but the buffet food (Patio Restaurant) and formal dining (8 Rivers) were not good. We basically ordered the room service cheeseburgers on multiple days and that sustained us. The good food is actually out in downtown Ocho Rios (although the front desk will discourage you from even leaving the hotel, let alone eating elsewhere). The best place to eat is on main street in Ocho Rios called " Jerk Chicken". If we would have known about this place earlier, we probably would have dined there the whole time =)
Water - There is no bottled water at this resort. Granted, they give you full size alcohol bottles, but bottled water is not provided and can't be purchased anywhere on the property. They provide you with an empty container to use for your beverage of choice, but if you go on excursions like we do, this small container won't cut it. We had to go to a gas station to get enough water which doesn't make sense for an all-inclusive resort.
Nude Island - The scenery is really beautiful and peaceful at this resort. However, if you are thinking that you can wear clothes and still go to the island it is not true. The boat driver said that he had to confirm that we would take off our clothes before letting us board the boat. This information doens't come with the hotel manual by the way, so we refused and didn't get to visit the island. The boat driver subsequently yelled at his colleague because the guy didn't check with us first.
Rooms - We booked the superior ocean view room. I had called the Couples phone number before I booked our package and they said that this type of room had an en-suite jacuzzi tub. The room doesn't have it and there is only a shower. We met other couples that ran into this problem as well and I probably would have given a higher rating if the jacuzzi tub was actually there.
The scenery is beautiful, but this hotel is very dated. I will say, however, that the operations manager at the hotel (I'm not sure of her name) was very helpful when we ran into a problem with one of our day trips. If you are looking for a driver to take you around, have the hotel call Mr. Barrett. He was the friendliest person we met on our trip and he will watch out for you and your safety. The scenery is 4.5 stars, but the resort itself is more like a 2/2.5 based on the problems we ran into during our stay. I wouldn't recommend it and we won't be going back. Be leary of their "inclusions" when booking this resort!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Playground to Hollywood celebrities in the 1950s, glamorous Couples Tower Isle exudes a chic sophistication perfectly balanced by a relaxed Caribbean sensuality. Perched on the lush terrain of Ocho Rios, Jamaica—the resort seduces with breathtaking sea views, a wide sandy beach and century-old palm trees. Discover the joys of snorkeling among the reefs, windsurfing on the waves, or sailing into the sunset on a catamaran, rum punch in hand. Intricate blue tile work and jade chaise lounges offset the striking white retro architecture. Luxurious rooms boast private ocean-breeze balconies. Whether being pampered in the Zen-inspired spa—recognized as "Best in the Caribbean" by Travel+Leisure—sipping cocktails at the piano bar or indulging in an exquisite meal alfresco, Couples Tower Isle creates countless intimate moments that inspire you to return again and again. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Tingo, Amex, Travelocity, BookIt.com, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., BookingOdigeoWL, Hotels.com, Agoda and Otel so you can book your Couples Tower Isle reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Couples Tower Isle Hotel Ocho Rios
- Couples Hotel Ocho Rios
- Couples Ocho Rios
- Couples Hotel Isle
- Couples Ochos Rios
- Ochos Rios
- Couples Tower Isle Jamaica/Ocho Rios