This was our sixth visit to Jamaica and our first to Couples Sans Souci, and what a wonderful time it was! We were there from February 22 through March 1.
Getting there was the battle. Prepare yourself for a nightmare at the airport in Jamaica! We, as well as scores of others, suffered through 2 ½ hours of unorganized chaos in getting through Customs and Immigration. Whereas it used to be just getting our luggage was a challenge, now the passage through C&I is even worse with people seeming to be going in every possible direction, and no real organization to the system at all. The Jamaican C&I staff are wonderful, but they too are hobbled by a lack of airport organization in this area. The airport itself however is now beautiful with more construction going on. They have made amazing improvements and added wonderful amenities to the facility.
The ride to Ocho Rios is seemingly longer now with the new highway being under construction, and the short visit to one of the wayside shops and bathroom facilities was welcome.
There are really no words to describe the beauty of the grounds at Sans Souci. They are simply fabulous. The grounds are extensive (we were told 28 acres) and you will find dozens of small gorgeous areas to rest, reflect, enjoy the magnificent view, or just visit quietly with your partner. As beautiful as the main beach is, the outstanding beauty of the au natural beach and its views dwarf it. We spent a lot of time there enjoying the quiet solitude of the beach, the mature attitude of the other guests on the beach and wonderful drinks served up at that beach bar. The au natural beach is open to everyone after 5:00 pm and is definitely the place to view the breathtaking sunset.
Be sure to enjoy the main pool area, the several hot tubs, the mineral pool, and make it a point to walk around all the grounds. If you enjoy plants, flowers, and just the sight of hibiscus growing like wildflowers, you will want to enjoy a few hours just taking it all in.
The food at the restaurants and beach grill is definitely 5 star. At the beach grill be sure to try the Jamaican hamburgers and for sure the Pastys. We truly enjoyed the meals at the Palazzina and the Bella Vista. Do not miss lunch at the Palazzina if only for the desserts – which are to die for. The Resort’s dessert chef must be one of the best in the world. We were quite disappointed with our experience at the Casanova Restaurant mostly because we ate inside and believe me it was freezing in there! Most of the ladies were forced to be wearing their partners jackets, and still the management didn’t sense the need to adjust the air conditioning. It was so cold we skipped dessert and coffee just to get out of there.
You will find Room Service and the Restaurant wait staff to be wonderful. Special kudos to Anaby, Maxwell, Dornette, Roderick, and Kerine. They really stand out as excellent.
We found the staff at Sans Souci as a group to be much more reserved than we would have liked, or have experienced in our past visits to Jamaica. We constantly felt as though we were bothering them if we wanted anything or asked for information. A big improvement could be made there. You will need to be politely assertive if you desire anything from information, to reservations, to suggestions on what activities you might enjoy. We were also very disappointed that a staff member was trying to sell us Blue Mountain Coffee and Appleton Rum. We thought this was prohibited, and was something we have never before experienced at a resort in Jamaica. This was quite a change from our other experiences in Jamaica. I think the staff generally would do will with a bit of in service training, especially Reham McKenzie who was remarkably rude on all the occasions we had the misfortune of running into her in the restaurants.
We were in the B building and our suite on the first floor was beautiful. Yes, it did have a musty smell to it when the window and doors were closed, and the toilet did leak a bit, and we did notice a host of tiny little bugs all around; but, it was wonderfully clean, very nicely decorated and the view was exquisite. Kudos too to the housekeeping staff…they are great.
A visit to Couples Sans Souci is one you will never forget. It was on balance just wonderful. The Manager Pierre Battaglia is very gracious as is the rest of the management staff.
You absolutely must attend the Starlight Gala Buffet! That is an experience you will never forget for its opulence and what an effort by all the staff to pull such a wonderful evening off. We had rain for the Beach Party but, as it was, it too was very nice. In fact, all of the late evening entertainment was most enjoyable.
We would definitely recommend Couples Sans Souci. Just be politely assertive when you need to and otherwise layback and enjoy the beauty of the facility, swim in the Caribbean Ocean, spend time at the clothing optional au natural beach, soak up the wonderful sun (bring sun block and tanning lotion), visit with the charming Jamaican people, and for goodness sake do not skip dessert!
Except for a few Personnel issues and room issues mentioned above, we would have rated it excellent.
E-Mail us if you wish any further information.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nestled on the cliffs of Jamaica’s emerald coast above a dazzling stretch of Caribbean, Couples Sans Souci beckons you to surrender mind, body and soul. The resort's 'no worries' mantra comes to life as every day unfolds. Lose yourself exploring secluded stone pathways. Melt away stress in the healing natural mineral springs. Feel a rush of exhilaration scaling Dunn's River waterfalls. Or simply drift asleep in a hammock by the sea. Located in vibrant Ocho Rios, the resort's design pays tribute to an understated colonial elegance—intricate latticework, white woven furnishings and feathered palms set a refined stage for your island escape. Dining options abound—from authentic Jamaican fare to five-star international cuisine. Private cabanas at cliff's edge provide the ideal setting for our signature spa treatments, while the choice of resort activities knows no limits. Learn the art of living well while living in the moment at Couples Sans Souci. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Booking.com, Priceline, Orbitz, TripOnline SA, Odigeo, Expedia and Hotels.com so you can book your Couples Sans Souci reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Couples Sans Souci Hotel Ocho Rios
- Couples San Souci
- Couples Sans Souci Ocho Rios
- Couples Sans Souci Jamaica/Ocho Rios