“Exceeded All My Expectations” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Couples Sans Souci

You added Couples Sans Souci to your Saves list
Couples Sans Souci
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Route A3, St-Mary | PO Box 103, Ocho Rios, Jamaica   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #4 of 40 Hotels in Ocho Rios
Houston, Texas
“Exceeded All My Expectations”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2014

This was my boyfriend and I's first trip to Jamaica and so like most, we didn't know what to expect. Couples San Souci was well worth the two hour shuttle ride from the Montego Bay airport! The staff and resort exceeded our expectations! I travel extensively so I can truly appreciate good customer service! The staff was beyond friendly and personable and someone was always willing to greet you with a warm smile! The food was absolutely delicious….we both gained a pound or two but it was hard not too with all the options available! Couples San Souci is a must do for anyone looking for a romantic getaway with great food and excellent customer service. We will certainly be back :-)

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (820)
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

I agreed with the other reviewers about the great staff, how beautiful the resort is, etc. I'm grateful to those who recommended beachfront room in blocks A or B. This resort has lots of stairs to climb if we stayed in other blocks.

We didn't spend any time in the au-naturel beach, so I don't have any opinion. The main beach looks to be man-made or man-improved because the sand is yellow/red and coarse, while under water, it's powdery fine and white. There is enough shades from trees and about 8-10 palapas. This beach is not great for wading or swimming. Even in the roped off area, there are few sandy areas, but lots of grassy areas. It's also shallow for the most part and small. However, this shouldn't be any problem if you only want to relax on the water using the beach chair cushions as floats.

This was our first time at Sans Souci, and we prefer it over Swept Away where we stayed 3 times. Services here is better and staff here friendlier although CSA staff were great. CSS seems more upscale than CSA. For example, the buffet restaurant where breakfast, lunch and dinner are served, is always with clean white table cloths; at CSA, the equivalent restaurant uses place mats that servers wipe off with a rag after each diner; sometimes, that made me feel a bit queasy. Tuesday night beach party and Friday night Gala are also much nicer here than at CSA.

Room Tip: Beachfront room in Blocks A or B, if you don't want to climb stairs, lots of them.
Saugus, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

I'm a PE teacher I have very good balance. I slipped getting out of the shower and dislocated my elbow and tore all the ligaments in it. The doctor there tried to put it in place couldn't so he sent me to the hospital for x-rays. Couples would not transport me I had to take a taxi. The next day I had to go back and get put in place Stayed the night there. So all together 3 trips cost $180.00 pretty cheap on Couples part. My bills were over $3,000 I have been trying to get my money back. Both Couples and there insurance are terrible. I was once told they would have a decision the next day it was 3 months later before I heard from them. They wanted more information That Was March 11 still have not heard from them. The resort is great but if something happens to you you are screwed.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Arvada, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

This was our first trip to a Couples Resort and I will say now…it will not be our last! What an amazing vacation.
If I had to rate the different aspects of the vacation, the staff of Couples San Souci will rate as the best staff we have ever experienced! They went out of their way to ensure that everyone fully enjoyed their time. This started the moment we landed in Jamaica and carried the entire way through our vacation. I wish I knew everyone’s names but will send out a special thank you to Milton, Saneta, Sasha, Kevin, Elizabeth, Ray, Bryan, Akeem and “Cracker”. If Jamaica is heaven then the staff at CSS is the angels!!!
I read prior to going that the rooms were a little dated but will say that the room we stayed in (A-29) was absolutely gorgeous! The room was extremely clean and comfortable. I had heard that the beds were hard but we slept better there than we normally do at home!
The beach party and the manager’s gala were spectacular. The entire time we were there (May 6 through May 11) was the most relaxing time we have ever had! Thank you Couples Resorts for such an incredible experience. I will HIGHLY recommend CSS for anyone!
There was enough going on that you never felt like you were bored. And the fact that there was never any pressure from staff or “vendors” just made it that much better. When at the beach, make sure to find Akeem and ask him for a serenade…he has an incredible singing voice!!
There were several times that we went to a bar or event that had just closed and instead of them telling us they were closed, they immediately took our drink order!
While at the resort we met some of the most amazing guests. We were very fortunate to meet several couples that I look forward to staying in touch with. There was only one time where we felt there was a small group that had become a little over-zealous with their drinking and a bit loud for us. The great thing about the resort was that it was spread out enough that we quickly moved to another area and enjoyed the peace and ambience ;) The layout of the resort itself is such that even though it was fully booked during our stay, it truly felt that there wasn’t too many people there. We spent quite a bit of time at the pond and rarely even saw other guests there. We even got the privilege of watching a “football” game of the staff.
Lastly, the restaurants….I was told previously that all-inclusive resorts generally lack in the food area but not CSS!! We experienced first class dining every time we ate! From the Bella Vista grille to Cassanova’s (I highly recommend making a reservation for Cassanova’s the minute you get to the resort).

Mike and Dawn (May 6-May 11, 2014)

Room Tip: I would recommend the upgrade to the one bedroom beachfront suite (Bldg A or B)
Morgantown
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

This was our second trip to Couples San Souci and it was our anniversary also. We have gone for the first week in May and it was perfect. We had gone last year as well for our honeymoon. Being repeat guest should say a lot and we had such a good time that we are excited to go back again. Everything is amazing from the lounge at the airport to the staff. Everyone is friendly and willing to help out with whatever you may need and of course the view is gorgeous as well. The resort is built in a mountain side so there are stairwells and hidden pathways throughout the resort. The food is amazing also and the bed was so comfortable that we wanted to take it home. Definitely a great trip for a great price and we can't wait to go back again!

Portland, Maine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2014

Our week long stay from late April to early May could not have been more enjoyable. We will be back.

After clearing customs in Montego Bay, we were welcomed into the spacious airport Couples reception suite and were greeted with complimentary beer, water, or other bevereages. They assisted with luggage and checked us in. I recommend calling the general Couples number to ensure they have your flight info about a week before travel -- 1.800.268.7537.

In general, Couples "San Souci" is a beautiful couples-only resort accessible by a 2 hour shuttle bus ride east of the Montego Bay Airport in the province of Ocho Rios. The shuttle bus ride was seamlessly managed by the Couples staff and was included in our reservation. The driver, "RRR", who gave a tour the entire ride to the resort was entertaining and informative ("on your right is the high school of the fastest man in the world, Usain Bolt" and that sort of thing as well as commentary on language, culture, industry, etc.).

As a general note, there are four Couples resorts in Jamaica: San Souci, Tower Isle, Negril, and Swept Away -- http://couples.com/. I found the subheadings on the main webpage helpful in contrasting each of the resorts.

GROUNDS/BEACHES/ACTIVITIES
San Souci has two main beaches. There is an au natural (nude) beach and a centrally located common beach area. The beaches at San Souci are private for the resort guests' use only. Of note, the west end of the au natural beach does have some (clothed) Jamaicans that are wandering around but were just there enjoying the beach and were not at all intrusive. The resort had a guard posted to try to keep the privacy of the au natural beach-goers intact, which was effective. There are some coral and rocks to check out if you are a snorkeler just off the main beach, but bring your own snorkel gear because the water sports shed won't loan it out unless you're on a formal snorkeling excursion. The water just off the au natural beach is not really amenable to snorkeling as the limestone/coral bottom is sharp and has numerous sea urchins. In-water shoes are a must for going in the water off the au natural beach (no clothes but definitely shoes -- a good look). The beaches are beautiful with chairs, pads for the chairs that double as in-water floats, and palapas (little wood and palm crafted huts for shade) as well as palm trees so one can sit in the shade or sun at any time of day. Both beaches have a more communal area, each with food and swim up bar.

As for snorkeling at the main beach, there are some areas with urchins and coral but those areas are easily visible and one does not need in the water sandals to safely navigate this area. The water sports hut, resort owned boats (SCUBA boat, glass bottomed snorkeling excursion boat, and high speed water skiing/evening cruise boat) are all in this large U-shaped beach.The water sports hut has paddle boards, Hobie cat small catamarans, open top kayaks, and a PADI certified SCUBA shop. The SCUBA dive sites are within 10 minutes by boat. Dive masters Nicholas and Leon take dive safety very seriously and were outstanding guides, as were the other diver shop team members Patrick and Christopher. They do a nice job of managing the SCUBA diving volume as there are divers of varied abilities and certifications. There is a 9am dive for Open Water and Advanced Open Water divers as well as a novice dive at 11am, and sometimes a second advanced dive after lunch when the volume is high. The diving is included but be aware that if you have not been diving in the last two years with your log book to prove it, they require that you take a refresher course for $50 per person (not unreasonable but it was unexpected and got things off on a sour note). Don't forget your PADI certification card and log book. The diving is included for certified divers. Those who are not certified can take a free resort course followed by 1 free dive. Other diving is available at cost (not sure how much per dive).

Of note, the grounds, beaches, and vegetation are thoughtfully placed and beautifully maintained daily. The staff seems to take care of every detail of the substance and appearance of the place. Impressive.

POOLS
There are multiple beatiful pools throughout the hilly resort. There is a mineral spring pool, multiple traditional chlorinated pools, as well as hot tubs scattered throughout. They maintain the pools extremely well.

GYM
There is a small but very nice and air-conditioned gym (bikes, elliptical trainers, free weights, treadmills). Nice facility and plenty in my mind for short vacation work outs. It was not at all crowded and we used it each morning.

FOOD
Outstanding. There are multiple options and they do it all well. I'd say their strongest suit is the fish and local foods. They have a "high end" restaurant (Cassanova) and the food is nice, but I had the impression that the resort excelled most at Palanzinna and Belle Vista (also called the Beach Grill during the day). The food is consistendly good, fresh, and varied. Tuesday night is a beach party where dozens of communal tables are set up and they put the food out with carving stations (jerk chicken, pork, beef, desserts, the works). Friday night is a beautiful lawn party in the central part of the resort. Similar feel and again outstanding quality and variety. It's not haute couture dining if that's what you're looking for, but they do an excellent job and have so much variety it's hard to imagine anyone but the most selective person having a less than enjoyable dining experience. There were many other guests present during our stay, but we never waited for a table for more than a minute or two. It never felt busy which was an impressive feat given the numbers of people that were obviously present as evidenced on the beach party night and the lawn party when everyone was dining together.

DRINKS
There are bars all over. They have the typical frozen, blended, shaken, and premade drinks as well as Red Stripe Lager (& Red Stripe Light). Well done but not super-fancy. There is a martini bar 1/2 way up the hillside which have numerous options and feels a bit more upscale. The staff are friendly and engaging and make very nice resort drinks, all of which I enjoyed. I'm not a liquor afficionado so maybe the drinks weren't perfect from a mixology standpoint but I enjoyed them all. The wines were nice. Mostly I saw Frontera, which as I recall is a fairly low-priced but good tasting wine from California. There are higher end options for an additional fee if the wine and liquor are not what you're looking for.

ACCOMODATIONS
We were in Block D up on the hill just adjacent to the center of the resort. There are different "Blocks". See room selection info below about choosing the right room for you. We had an ocean view room with a little veranda. The shower had three windows which overlooked the Caribbean through some palm trees. The staff who cleans the rooms does an outstanding job. I could not have been happier with our accomodations. There is an in-room safe, TVs (American and international channels), and internet. The WiFi did not connect in our room because we were far from the main office area, but it worked fine elsewhere. Didn't miss it.

OFF SITE ACTIVITES
Many excellent sounding things were advertised and the resort offered to coordinate. We did not leave the resort grounds during out week long stay.

ON SITE ACTIVITIES
See website. We did not do any of the massages, private beach dinners, etc.

DEPARTURE
They coordinated our shuttle back to the airport, took our bags from right outside our room, and we were there early without an issue.

I think the product and value are outstanding at Couples San Souci. I cannot wait to return.

Room Tip: D block was nice and quiet and located on the top of the hill
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2014

just returned from san souci for my nieces wedding/vacation,all i can say is amazing we were treated like royalty for the 7 days we were there and the wedding on sunset beach was beautiful. the staff couldn't do more to please you, all we kept hearing is now worries mon it's YOUR vacation just enjoy. enough restaurants and bars to change it up every day/night and food was outstanding ! our room was on the beach front/ground floor and was so happy we could walk right to beach feet from our door.I would highly recommend this resort the staff goes above and beyond to please you and make you feel safe and welcome there. the only regret i have was leaving i could of stayed another week !

Room Tip: we had a room on beach front ground floor and loved it,could walk right out our door to beach and ha...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Couples Sans Souci? Share your experiences!