“Rapidly moving to the top of our list!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Couples Sans Souci

Save Saved
You added Couples Sans Souci to your Saves list
Couples Sans Souci
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Route A3, St-Mary | PO Box 103, Ocho Rios, Jamaica   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #4 of 40 Hotels in Ocho Rios
Winston Salem, North Carolina
“Rapidly moving to the top of our list!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2014

This was our second trip to Couples Sans Souci and I think they have done nothing but improve! As a bit of background, we have been traveling to Jamaica since the mid-90's and have stayed at many different locations - including all of the Couples' properties. Back in those days, Sans Souci was part of the now basically defunct Grand Lido brand. We are so pleased that Couples has taken over this property and wish they would consider the same for the former Grand Lido Braco.

CSS is situated on a large piece of land; so even full, the resort never seems crowded. The grounds are fantastic with extraordinary landscaping. The diversity of plant life really is amazing and you can see that much of it has been growing on the property for decades. Our room was on the 3rd floor of building A and had a wonderful beach view. I must say the rooms are getting a bit dated and really in need of makeovers. However, our bed was firm and very comfortable and all our plumbing worked with both hot and cold water in abundance. Don't laugh. You can't really take either for granted in Jamaica.

The food showed improvement over last year with fish dishes being the real stand outs - some of the best pan seared snapper I've ever eaten and very tasty grilled lobsters for the special occasion dinners. I still recommend skipping the beef dishes - for some reason Jamaica just can't get good quality beef. Steaks will usually be tough and bland. But with great fish, chicken, and pork, you won't go hungry. The veggies were also especially good this year - I love callaloo and pak choi - both were common sides and beautifully cooked. Finally, I think the pastry chef is to be especially complemented. We have generally not had good desserts in Jamaica - which seems odd, since they have such great fruits and dairy. Not this time. The sweets at CSS are exceptional and really very tough to resist.

Drinks this year were much as we have come to expect - plentiful and generally good. I like the option of buying premium wines to go with dinners. The house wines are drinkable, but far from great and on occasion it's nice to have the option of something better. I'm certain many of the distilled spirits are watered down a bit - I suppose to cut cost - but since you can have as much as you want, I don't feel the same way about it as I would if I had just paid $9 for that cocktail. Your beer choice is only Red Stripe and many do complain, they would like at least one other option. I'm OK with one beer and like RS fine, but I agree the criticism is a valid one.

We were very pleased with the staff this year and generally found the service very good. We all like the bartenders and servers, but I think it's is very important to also remember the maids, janitors and gardeners. They do and incredible job keeping a huge property clean and looking great for us to enjoy. These details are crucial to a great resort and are often neglected.

One personal comment (criticism actually) - the new smoking policy. I'm a cigar smoker and try to be considerate of those who don't enjoy the smell - even of a fine cigar. Jamaica has always been very smoke friendly - allowing guests to smoke most anywhere outside. Now, apparently their are limits. But I could never get a clear understanding of the rules. Apparently limits are dependent on which bartender or entertainment staff is working. Some nights the Balloon Bar Patio was OK, some not. Same with the Beach Bar. There are no signs to guide you at any outdoor location. I'm happy to follow the rules, but I need to know exactly what they are and I expect them to be enforced consistently.

Finally, we will definitely be back and the group we travel with thinks CSS is a great place to ring in the New Year. I highly recommend CSS to all looking for a great Jamaican all-inclusive holiday!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (783)
Kenora, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2014

From the moment we arrived we were greeted with smiling, friendly and professional staff. ... Activity coordinators Sasha and Lettie were amazing. Both hard working and very entertaining. Enjoyed getting to know both of them. ... The lifeguards were always quick to the rescue. Darren was also very entertaining as he would often be found singing and brought many smiles with his rendition of Céline Dion. Darren has a good voice! I kidded him about what he did with the money his mother gave him for singing lessons! ... The Spa is a must! An 85 minute massage from Simone left me feeling like I was in Jamaican Heaven! Simone is a professional and very skilled massage therapist. ... Food services excelled! Nicola Wilson very kind, hard working and professional. Dion McDonald always had a welcome surprise for me with her multi-level personality. Dillano, Raydean and Eric (Omelette genius) were just a few of the many other restaurant staff who stood out and added to our fun. All of the restaurant staff were amazing. The food was great too! ... In house keeping Sandy went above and beyond and kept our room, A21, spotless. The room always smelled fresh and clean. (Never had a musty smell I have noticed at other resorts.) Una turned down our beds in the evening and was quick with a Hug if you were lucky enough to catch her. ... Overall my wife and I had an exceptional time here and highly recommend this resort if you truly want GOOD TIMES IN JAMAICA MON!!!

Room Tip: I really do not think any of their 150 rooms would be a problem. They all have balconies with ocean...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Cleveland, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2014 via mobile

We just returned from our first trip to CSS (12/30-1/4). It was also our first trip to any Couples resort as well. We traded places on Friday at Tower Isle. This is a rather long winded review, but I hope it will help others who are planning their first trip or who want to know what CSS may be like for their return trip.

Our beach front one bedroom suite on the third floor of building A at CSS was clean and cozy from an old world perspective. I liked the wood trimmed glass doors to the deck, but the very heavy/thick curtains didn't open all the way so the views were hindered. It had dual wall mounted hvac units that were a little tricky to get set properly and a couple spindles in the rails on the deck were worn, but overall, we were satisfied with the room. The GM announced that they are planning an overall room remodel sometime in 2014 and a model room is set up, but we didn't see it. I personally liked the very firm mattress and the large, thick bath towels. The bathrobes are a little small though for anyone over 6'. Although it had a two person spa tub, we didn't use it.

Room service/mini bar met our expectations. We don't drink sodas or beer so they accommodated our requests for red and white wine served in carafes, lots of water and lots of orange juice.

Food/Parties: We are Vegan. All menus had options for us to choose from. The chef greeted us and guided us to items that didnt have meat, eggs or dairy. We were never hungry or lacking something to eat.

There were 3 very large and elaborate parties on the lawn and beach in front of our unit (new years eve celebration, repeaters dinner, and the Friday night gala.) A review of each follows:

NYE - The theme was "The Great Gatsby". The staff went all out for this party!!! A platform was set up in the pool by the beach. It served as a stage for a grand piano and a pianist who entertained us during happy hour. A couple vintage, mint condition classic cars were brought onto lawns as props, and outdoor seating areas and appetizer and drink stations were spread out across the lawn. The fantastic staff also strolled through the crowd with appetizers as well. They set up all the tables under three very large tents to shield the guests if it rained. The buffet was set up on the patio and inside the main restaurant. Lobster and steak, lamb chops, giant crab claws, stuffed crab and shrimp were some of the key items for those that eat meat and seafood. We personally loved the variety of fruit and vegetable options at the buffet and our plates overflowed with tasty items. Pumpkin and greens were served a variety of ways and we really enjoyed these new dishes. They had a whole dining room dedicated to desserts. It was a beautiful display and the staff was very proud of the very creative sculptures made out of chocolate. Some guests were disappointed with the way the food was laid out, but I didn't mind the buffet configuration and had no difficulty finding things to eat.

They had a variety of entertainment throughout the evening. Unfortunately, this was the low point of the whole week for us. The interpretive dancers, although a nice local touch, performed a very long set. The slow pace and length of the performance caused much of the audience to disperse early. The female singer of one of the groups also seemed to be having problems with her microphone as her voice was very loud and muffled. We could not understand what she was singing. We adjourned to our room early. The music was very loud through the midnight count down so I don't think anyone in units A or B went to sleep until the band stopped playing. We knew what we were getting into when we made the reservation so we sat on our patio and enjoyed the party from a distance.

Repeaters dinner: although we were first timers, the hostess invited us to attend. We think it was because we arrived late on Sunday evening and we had difficulty finding any available dining times at the two more formal restaurants. The meal again included lobster and steak. Our server remembered we were vegan and he said no worries, "I will take care of everything." He brought us two of the veggie spring rolls from one of the restaurants and brought us a veggie pasta dish and a side dish platter that included the mixed vegetables, potatoes and greens that were being server that night. He also made sure our soups did not have sour cream. This server's treatment of us was a highlight of the trip and it was much appreciated.

Friday Gala: A great night!!! Vegetarians/vegans should not worry about coming to a Couples resort. There are always plenty of options to choose from. The event coordinators, put on a short fashion show and they had a fantastic steel drum band. (We wished they had this band for the NYE party). They closed out the evening with an after party disco at Sunset Beach. A lively group showed up for the disco and we danced for a couple hours. it was a great way to end our trip.

Activities: both my wife and I were battling head colds and had sinus issues all week so we couldn't/didn't partake in any of the water sports. I commend the scuba staff for putting safety first and recognizing we could have experienced issues with equalizing pressure had we tried scuba or snorkeling.

Spa: we had a 80 min. Couples massage on Sunset Beach the first morning of our stay. Kenneth gave my wife her massage and Simone was my therapist. Both of us were very pleased with their skills. Simone found a knot in my back and did a great job working it out.

This was our first visit to an au natural beach and I must say the massage in the pavillion on the beach was the best way to introduce us to the nude area. We had many massages in the states previously, but this was also the first time that we had a massage undraped. Kenneth and Simone were so friendly and professional. My wife and I were immediately at ease and were very comfortable with the whole experience. We would definitely request Kenneth and Simone and also have a massage on SSB again when the opportunity arises.

Beach/pools/whirlpools:

Sunset beach: we enjoyed our first morning there so much we spent every day at this pool and ate every lunch there as well. A great group of repeat visitors made this trip extra special. It's true, you meet the friendliest people at a nude beach. Young, old, thin, heavy, healthy, wealthy, poor or ailing/recovering from illnesses or surgeries, all are welcome, and all are treated the same.

The large group met years ago at another resort and they became life long friends. They welcomed us "newbies" into their group, included us in their card games and volleyball games and it was always nice to see their familiar faces throughout the resort all week. We hope our paths will cross again.

We selected CSS partially because of their nude beach set up. We determined that if we were going to take a trip to an adults only resort and try a nude beach, we didnt think we would be comfortable sharing a beach with others that were not nude or accessible/viewable by kids that may be visiting other resorts e.g. negril and we didn't want to risk taking a trip somewhere but being unable to try it due to a red flag day, e.g. Tower Isle.

We visited and used the hot tub at SSB a couple nights. We approached the guard and received permission each time. There is very little light pollution at SSB at night and the stars that were visible were amazing. If you live in a city or suburban area, I encourage you to visit SSB at night with or without your clothes just so you can see the stars.

Main beach and pools: we attempted to sit at the main beach one day, but all of the chairs were full when we arrived. I must say that there were a lot of beautiful people at this beach that were in much better shape than this late forties guy. After walking the beach, and exhaling, I was very relieved when my wife suggested we go back to ssb because I was actually more uncomfortable and self aware on the main beach than at the nude beach. After this one attempt, we never tried to spend time on the main beach for the remainder of our stay.

We visited the very private mineral hut tub that is embedded in the side of the hill just above the mineral pool late one night. This little tub was seldom used and it is one that you should seek out.

Grounds: we loved the elevation changes and all of the trails that led to all parts of the resort. We didn't mind the stairs at all. The grounds are gorgeous and we were very pleased because it lived up to our expectations and it was one of the main reasons we selected CSS. Although we liked the A block, I will definitely return to this resort and stay in one of the upper blocks as I would enjoy the views and like to spend more time at the Balloon Bar and try more spa treatments that are up on the hill.

Trading Places: we went to Tower Isle on Friday. Another couple we met at SSB happened to be on the shuttle so we grabbed a quick breakfast with them when we arrived at the other resort. My wife and I really liked the art deco/south beach feel of the resort and especially like the spa with the budda pool. I suggest skipping breakfast at your home resort and eating breakfast at your trading places resort as it will enable you to see and sample the different menu options.

The grounds at Tower Isle were nice, but I felt the area between the resort and beach was very narrow and somewhat confining. The resort, from the water, also looked much more like a traditional hotel. We took the boat over to the island. It was very windy and we were actually chilly while visiting it. The pool is very small and although seating areas were distributed throughout, I felt very confined and my wife and I opted to cut our visit very short and we paid for a cab to take us back to CSS. I must say that when we returned at to SSB at lunch time, it was just like coming home to our new family and friends.

Transportation to/from the airport: our plane arrived late so we ended up being the only couple in the shuttle to the resort. The return trip was packed. The drive each way was scenic, but it showed us how fortunate we are as the poverty that exists in Jamaica is so clearly visible.

Club Mobay: we used it for both the arrival and departure. Customs on arrival was so smooth. It was worth the cost. We experienced a slight challenge with our departure though. I didn't use my wife's full name when I made the plane reservations. The customs agent took exception to the "alias" and the mobay agent didn't seem to have a good working relationship with the customs agent and it appeared that the customs agent used our tickets as a power play. After a couple minutes of silence, and a lot of shoulder shrugging and hand gestures, we finally made it through the customs area.

Club Mobay's departure lounge was very nice and it was a very pleasant place to spend the hour before our departure. We would definitely purchase Club Mobay again.

Off site excursions: we didn't partake in any off site trips since we were battling colds. Those that shared their stories of horseback riding though seemed to really enjoy this specific activity.

Packing: we packed too many pairs of shoes and more clothes than we needed. A pair of tevas or sandals and a nicer pair of shoes for dinners is all that I should have brought.

Overall we had a wonderful trip. We created lasting memories and made many new friends that we hope to see again. We will definitely visit CSS again and we will not hesitate to spend our time on Sunset Beach.

• Stayed December 2013
Thunder Bay, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2014

My husband and I just returned from our trip and cannot wait to take off again. Food was great. Beach (prude) great no issues with finding a lounge with shade. Service on the beach was good (tip and they'll keep an eye open for anything you need). The nightly entertainment in the bar we were able to enjoy from our balcony. We were in block G top floor. This block is up past the lobby. The first room (G12) we had was more like an apartment (bedroom, living room, dressing room, bathroom) with beautiful wood fame cathedral ceilings, but minimal ocean view. Ocean view was important to me so we asked for a change. No issue at all. New room (G15a) great, but not as large which was fine for us as we were only there for a week. Extreme amount of stairs to negotiate to get to the room from the beach. Not really a bad thing considering how much food you eat while there. The balcony in the second room...amazing view, huge (couch, dining table, lounge & side table). It was like having an extra room! The gift shop had lots of nice things and the prices were very reasonable (shop here to avoid pressure sales and having to negotiate prices). The jewellery gift shop has great prices on top end cigars! Friday gala night on the beach is a must to do. All staff great and will do what ever they can to meet your needs.

Room Tip: get a penthouse for the balcony!
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Ham Lake, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2014

This was the most amazing vacation we have ever taken. The employees, the food, the atmosphere, everything was perfect. The beach was beautiful, tons of activities to do or not do:) Marlon, the chef at the pasta bar, is by far the best chef I have ever encountered!!

Room Tip: We paid extra for an ocean view, but I believe all the rooms have an ocean view.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Indianapolis, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2014

We are not quick to visit a resort a second time. We generally believe that it is best to try new resorts each vacation. We made an exception for this resort and I am so glad we did. We first visited for New Years in 2011/2012 and had an absolutely amazing time. I, in particular, fell in love with the resort on the basis of ambiance, romance, and overall atmosphere.

This visit was over thanksgiving 2013. The trip was even better than the first. We believe that while we had an amazing time at New Years, the high occupancy and high level of work that goes into holiday events may have kept us from seeing the resort at an even higher level - sounds crazy considering what a great time we had on that trip.

This trip we once again stayed in F block, this time in F9 - awesome! We did the couples massage, the private dinner and spent most of our time out on the beach. The staff was wonderful. We enjoyed getting to reconnect with some we met the first visit - kenesha - what an asset she is to the resort! We also had a lot of fun with others we got to know this trip - Noxroy, Darren, and many others.

The grounds are gorgeous. The food was good. Everything was smooth, relaxing and romantic. We got engaged on this trip and I can't imagine a better way to celebrate it! My fiancé said he knew this was the best place for me to receive a proposal - he was right! Thanks San Souci! We will return!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2014

My husband and I came here for our honeymoon in June/July of 2013. We stayed in the Honeymoon suite overlooking the bay, which was amazing. The room was spacious, although somewhat dated in terms of the bathrooms. Everything was clean and neat. The staff were wonderful from check in to check out.

The food here is good for what it is -- the menus are a bit limited, and it isn't exactly health food, but you certainly will not go hungry. The gala buffet for July 4th was lovely -- the food was actually best there and at the Beach Grill.

We enjoyed all the small pools and bars (including the smoothie bar and mineral pool), and found every service person attentive. There are plenty of included water sports and charter private trips available. The main beach is somewhat small, but never felt too crowded. Sunset beach (the nude beach) is actually the nicest beach and pool area for those who enjoy (or who can learn to enjoy) being sans swimsuits.

The tours that they offer when booking on line are limited compared to what you can book on arrival. I recommend leaving the resort every other day for something. Dunns River Falls are amazing -- a must do, and included at no cost when you arrive.

Room Tip: Splurge for the water view rooms -- well worth the minor increase in cost.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Couples Sans Souci? Share your experiences!