“Second time surpasses the first” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Couples Sans Souci

You added Couples Sans Souci to your Saves list
Couples Sans Souci
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Route A3, St-Mary | PO Box 103, Ocho Rios, Jamaica   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #4 of 40 Hotels in Ocho Rios
Indianapolis, Indiana
“Second time surpasses the first”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2014

We are not quick to visit a resort a second time. We generally believe that it is best to try new resorts each vacation. We made an exception for this resort and I am so glad we did. We first visited for New Years in 2011/2012 and had an absolutely amazing time. I, in particular, fell in love with the resort on the basis of ambiance, romance, and overall atmosphere.

This visit was over thanksgiving 2013. The trip was even better than the first. We believe that while we had an amazing time at New Years, the high occupancy and high level of work that goes into holiday events may have kept us from seeing the resort at an even higher level - sounds crazy considering what a great time we had on that trip.

This trip we once again stayed in F block, this time in F9 - awesome! We did the couples massage, the private dinner and spent most of our time out on the beach. The staff was wonderful. We enjoyed getting to reconnect with some we met the first visit - kenesha - what an asset she is to the resort! We also had a lot of fun with others we got to know this trip - Noxroy, Darren, and many others.

The grounds are gorgeous. The food was good. Everything was smooth, relaxing and romantic. We got engaged on this trip and I can't imagine a better way to celebrate it! My fiancé said he knew this was the best place for me to receive a proposal - he was right! Thanks San Souci! We will return!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (967)
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2014

My husband and I came here for our honeymoon in June/July of 2013. We stayed in the Honeymoon suite overlooking the bay, which was amazing. The room was spacious, although somewhat dated in terms of the bathrooms. Everything was clean and neat. The staff were wonderful from check in to check out.

The food here is good for what it is -- the menus are a bit limited, and it isn't exactly health food, but you certainly will not go hungry. The gala buffet for July 4th was lovely -- the food was actually best there and at the Beach Grill.

We enjoyed all the small pools and bars (including the smoothie bar and mineral pool), and found every service person attentive. There are plenty of included water sports and charter private trips available. The main beach is somewhat small, but never felt too crowded. Sunset beach (the nude beach) is actually the nicest beach and pool area for those who enjoy (or who can learn to enjoy) being sans swimsuits.

The tours that they offer when booking on line are limited compared to what you can book on arrival. I recommend leaving the resort every other day for something. Dunns River Falls are amazing -- a must do, and included at no cost when you arrive.

Room Tip: Splurge for the water view rooms -- well worth the minor increase in cost.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2014

My husband and I spent a week in November 2013. From the minute that we stepped into the lobby, we knew that that we were going to have a wonderful vacation. We stayed in an ocean front beach room.. Our room was clean, cheery and pretty. Whatever room service that we asked for, it was done in a timely fashion. Our maid has been working for Couples for 40 years - she was such a nice lady. The food and the presentation at all restaurants was excellent. We loved the beach party and gala buffet. There was always a car to take you up to the Balloon bar, lobby, gift shop and the other restaurant if you did not want to walk. There was also an elevator by the spa which we took quite a few times. The view was breathtaking. We cannot say enough about the staff. There are just too many to mention. They were always smiling and very accommodating. They are the best that we've seen at other all-inclusive resorts and cruiselines. One other thing, we go to church and they took us to church in Ocho Rios and waited for us. What a nice gesture. We have already rebooked for next November as many of our friends have done so. Cannot wait to return.

Room Tip: If you want to stay on the beach and do not want to go up and down the steps to your room, book the...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
CouplesSocialMgr, Public Relations Manager at Couples Sans Souci, responded to this review, January 9, 2014
Dear Snowman 2164,

Thank you for having chosen to vacation with us and for your review of your stay. We are pleased to know that you enjoyed your experience with us right from the beginning.

Our Staff are indeed exceptional and dedicated and always happy to assist in any way they can. Thank you for your commendations of staff and services offered and we cant wait to welcome you back 'home' in November.
Del Rio, TX
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

So, after visiting CSS three times in 1 1/2 years, I feel that maybe it has had better days. For some reason, the first time we visited it was amazing (maybe the wool was pulled over our eyes), 2nd time was more relaxed since we knew all about it and third time I noticed things that I had overlooked the first 2 times. We took my parents so it was the 4 of us. My parents loved it and just fell in love with it. I feel that this time was a little disappointing. Yes, the resort has always needed some remodeling, but this time was worse. The food didn't seem as good. The NYE buffet was crowded and made me only get 1 plate of food and 1 plate of dessert. The dessert for the NYE buffet was great, food was okay. I feel that the staff 'makes' the resort for us. They are the reason we have been 3 times. Nickoy at Charlie's Bar is great, Deon was a funny and great waitress, Sasha and Lingini (Leightonette) are great entertainment coordinators. Nicola is a nice waitress at Casanova. Ruth and Marsha are AWESOME at the Spa. :) We love the staff and they are the reason we return. We really enjoy Maliachi and Derron at the Watersports. They go above and beyond to help us enjoy the water sports and have a great time on our Private Snorkel. (I highly recommend the Private Snorkel!) I feel that they are like family. I would like the food to get better/change. I felt that the menus were the same as when we went in June and last June. I felt that the food at the Beach Grill (nights) was MUCH better than the reservation restaurants (Pallazina, Cassanova). I do like the beach and the ability to always have a lounge chair/float. We love the foliage and views. Maybe some updated menus and new nightly entertainment. Let's shake some stuff up CSS! Then we will return, in the meantime, we will try another Couples resort next time.

Room Tip: We've stayed in E block, G block and now D block. We like D block and it's closeness to eve...
provence
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

Like other recient reviews we wondered whether or not to write a review but decided we needed to add out comments to support those already made and a few points of our own.

This was our third visit to this hotel. We were suprised at just how badly the rooms had deteriorated. Our shower room had tiles that were comming away from the floor and the actual shower head was broken so that it just sent out a single trickle of water. We eventually had it fixed but only after repeated requests and a final visit to the front desk to insist on getting it repaired.

On the subject of the front desk - do they ever smile? In comparison to the rest of the staff who really do make up for the decaying hotel I always felt that they were doing us a favor just being there! Given that they are the first contact with the hotel they really need to get their act together.

We are not fans of the buffet beach party and Gala nights. Our choice but we really would like to see one other dining option available on those nights as we know we are not the only people who prefer to be served. The New Year's Eve Gala night as others have said was a prime example of why we dislike buffets - badly organised with people milling around in a small space, food picked over by those ahead of you or run out if a more popular option.

We did not stay for the entertainment but like many people retreated to a bar and then our room.

We were pleased to see that on this visit there were no early towels out blocking off beds (with exceptions) and free beds were available throughout the day. I speak only of Sun Set Beach (SSB) as we did not use the main beach. On a previous visit by 8am all the beds on SSB had been taken. We did notice though towards the end of our visit that larger groups of repeaters were arriving and started to block out large sections of beds.

At the end of the holiday we both agreed we would like to be able to return but some serious remedial work has to be done on the rooms. If we were giving the rooms a rating by European standards I suspect they would struggle to make 2* - looking at the state of our tiles and the mould growing out from them that would only be if the Public Health Inspectors had not shut the hotel down first.

Come on Couples you cannot trade of the goodwill of repeat visitors who are perhaps more forgiving that first time guests.

Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2014

Css is an idealic resort. The grounds are beautiful and lush. Staff are the strong point of this resort as they go above and beyond to be helpful and accomadating. The food at the gala and beach party was amazing in both variety and quality for a resort. The only week point of the resort is the housekeeping department which seems to have issues with getting rooms cleaned in a timely fashion, a comment we heard from all guests that we talked to. The onsite entertainment was ok, however the newyears gala enterrainment was a major let down and far below the standards of other resorts we have stayed at. By 10:30 the interpertive very amateur dance troop had scared many guests away and ruined the festive vibe you would expect of a newyears party. With some room renovations which I understand are in the future this will be truely a 5 star resort. We will definitely be returning to css as we met many wonderful new friends and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. Nicola, dominique, milton, sanita, taneasha, mike and so many other staff you folks are amazing!!

Norwalk, Ct.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2014

I have been trying to decide whether to write this or not. I couldn't even decide between 'poor" and "good" but am feeling so guilty I am giving it a good. I want to make clear that I am a HUGE fan of Couples resorts. I have been to all of them except San Souci many times. We decided to try the last of the four because we read about all the rewards it got and good reviews. I am totally puzzled. We talked to a lot of people during our week stay. Many people have been there 18,15, 10 times! Those people were just in love with the resort! But all the people who were there for the first time like us had many, many complaints. None of the first timers indicated they would return (including us). And yes, we talked to a lot of first timers.
Ok, first things first.....the good points:
Beautiful scenery
Good drinks and bartenders (do not expect to get top shelf.........it doesn't exist here).
Good housekeeping
Nice breakfast buffet (much like the other 3 resorts)
Nice clean beach area (very small but nice)
Never had a problem getting a beach chair (no one ever helped us....we just walked around until we found a chair and then walked around until we found a second chair and moved them together)
Great Spa services (in little huts high up over the water). Truly lovely and worth the money. This was the highlight of our stay.
Beautiful decorations for New Years Eve. Best we have seen at a Couples resort. The theme was the Great Gatsby. Really lovely and well done.
Ok...........sorry but cant think of any more positives so here goes the negatives:
3 restaurants...all have different names but the same food (this became a joke among the guests). In all fairness the top restaurant did have some special items which ranged from very good to just ok. The food just cant compare to the other 3 resorts. The manager needs to spend some time visiting the other 3. we have always LOVED the food at Couples. One example: 3 nights in a row at 3 different restaurants at San Souci, the fish of the day (and the only fish was SWORDFISH!). There isn't any swordfish in Jamaica. It was imported from who knows where and it was awful! Overcooked and tasteless...so dry we couldn't even swallow it. Where was the local fish that we have so enjoyed at the other resorts? My husband ate meat at every meal and I just ate salads etc. Everyone we talked to was filling up on desserts (ok me included). We were so tired of the food we couldn't wait to get home and cook something good :)
The whole place is falling apart. Our small balcony had holes in the railings, loose boards etc. Some people we met had a bathtub that leaked! The boards at the snack bar are in terrible shape. Some of the many, many stairs were safety hazards.
Sheets were gray and dingy. Really? Just buy some new sheets! That's an easy one to fix. Again housekeeping tried their very best to make the bed and room look good. Thank you!
Some of the wait staff was great (Vivian!). Some were actually a bit rude. And we never complained and thanked everyone a lot for everything. I think we were trying to just get some smiles and some of that famous Jamaican hospitality we have always experienced.
The whole arrangement of this resort because of its physical properties make it a resort which is very strange to navigate. There are the top dwellers and the bottom dwellers and it makes for almost two resorts. To see any entertainment at all, one has to climb about 300 stairs or call a van to take you up to the top. Very dangerous to walk at night!!! Not to mention exhausting.
The piano bar which we absolutely LOVE at CSA is a joke. There is a man playing the piano. He never speaks to the guests and there is no sing a long. It is simply a man playing the piano. Disappointing. We have had so much fun at the piano bar at CSA. Now that man is an entertainer!
All the young people who were there were very disappointed in the total lack of anything fun to do at night. They will not be back for sure.
Ok, I mentioned New Years Eve.. Even though I give them high marks for the decorations, the rest gets low marks. Food was not great and it was really confusing and a mess in the food area. Much too small, people bumping into each other carrying plates. A total lack of any sort of organization. Wow! Too much work and totally a mess. The dessert private room was the best of the evening. The entertainment was boring and went on way too long. I really do appreciate local talent and seeing the local culture but you don't have people drinking for 2 hours and then put on a show which lasted way too long. Its New Years Eve! People want to party and dance. Unfortunately, by the time the dance music started 3/4 of the people had gone to their rooms (including us and we love to dance). From our balcony we could hear the music. By the way, we were in Jamaica not the USA. How about some wonderful Jamaican music. Never heard any the whole time we were there :(
Ok, I feel I had to write this because I use TripAdvisor a lot and my husband said that not writing it would be unfair to people trying to decide whether to go to this resort.
Do I feel good about writing this,,,,,no. I feel bad because I love Couples and will continue to go but just not to this one. Sorry to all the people who go year after year and probably are not happy with my review. I almost felt like I was living the story of "The Emperor's Clothes" when I spoke to these people. All the newbies could see all of this but the returners could not or would not. Credit to this resort for having such very loyal guests.

Room Tip: Beachfront Suites...B building
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ocho Rios
Couples Swept Away
Couples Swept Away
#19 of 90 in Negril
4.5 of 5 stars 4,175 reviews

Been to Couples Sans Souci? Share your experiences!