“Personal Items Stolen From Room! Beware!!!!!” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Couples Sans Souci

You added Couples Sans Souci to your Saves list
Couples Sans Souci
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Route A3, St-Mary | PO Box 103, Ocho Rios, Jamaica   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #4 of 41 Hotels in Ocho Rios
Boston, MA
“Personal Items Stolen From Room! Beware!!!!!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2008

This is a difficult review to write. On one hand, we really enjoyed our vacation. The food at San Souci was delicious. Probably the best of all the all inclusives we've been to (We've been to Sandals, Gran Bahia, and Secrets Excellence on previous trips). The beach is small but very relaxing. Even on the busiest days, we were able to find chairs quickly and the beach never felt very crowded. The mineral pool was very peaceful, and we really enjoyed the sunsets. The rooms are very outdated though, so that is downfall. The main pool, compared to other resorts we stayed at, is on the small side. There are some very friendly staff members there. Fabian the fitness instructor was great. Dwayne the beach bartender kept us entertained for hours with his tricks and games. Kerine and Jason were some of the best wait staff we have ever encountered! If we were allowed to tip, we would have given them a 25% tip without a doubt in our minds. Their service was THAT good!

BUT, here's where it turns to the worst. We had read that the safes in the rooms can easily been broken into. So, I had hidden my IPod, Bose Noise Reduction Headphones, and my cell phone in my dirty laundry bag at the bottom of my suitcase. Nevertheless, it was still stolen. The fact that my personal items were stolen from me despite being hidden away indicates that this resort has a theft problem. They have employees that will go out of their way and rummage through people's personal belongings to find things they can steal. This is a very unsettling feeling to say the least. I feel extremely violated. It's my first day back from vacation and instead of feeling relaxed, I'm upset and angry. It basically ruined my vacation. It's one thing if we left the items out in the open in the room but the fact that they were hidden amongst smelly laundry shows how desperate Couples San Souci employees are willing to go.

I'm not sure if I will go back to Couples Resort or Jamaica in general due to this, but if you do go, please make sure to leave anything valuable at home, or bring a lock for your suitcase to lock your personal items in. OR --- go to another country where theft isn't such a problem. We never had any issues in Dominician Republic, Mexico or St Lucia.

• Liked — The food was delicious!
  • Disliked — The THEFT problem at this resort!!!
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (912)
California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2008

My husband and I along with 24 friends and family visited Couples Sans Souci July 23 -29, 2008. The majority of the group flew together from San Francisco into Jamaica. Flight was typical, not super comfortable but we were eager to arrive at the resort so the little discomfort that I felt on the plane really didn't matter. The last time that we visited Jamaica was in 2004, lots of improvements have been made to the airport. Once we arrived at the Couples lounge we were greeted with drinks. The guys at the lounge were waiting for our group to arrive. Buses were waiting to take us to the resort. If you've never traveled from Montego Bay to Ochos Rios be prepared for the 2 hour drive. And Jamaican's do not drive anything like Americans... they have a weird system of honking and flashing their lights, they cut each other off a lot too. We stopped at a rest stop half way through the drive; the place sold jerk chicken and other stuff. Didn't purchase any of the chicken so i have no idea if it was good or not.

Checking in the resort was easy. The lobby is very open and we were greeted with cool cloths to wipe our faces with, champagne or rum punch(can't really remember all I know was it was cool and had alcohol in it) and cookies.

We got a room in the D block . I was very pleased with the room we had a view of the beach, the ocean and the Palazzina restaurant. The room was very clean, no tub but we did have a really large shower, two flat screen TVs, a couch, the mini bar was fully stocked daily. It was great. Each night our bed was turned down for us and petals were placed on the bed in the shape of a heart or something cute like that. Housekeeping did an awesome job; I never had any issues.

The grounds are perfectly maintained. Each morning a tractor rakes the sand on the beach. The chairs were always clean. The beach is small but it is private. You will not see any local residents on the beach and definitely no vendors. The beach was never crowded when we were there. The hotel was sold out the week we were there but you would never know it. There are so many beautiful places to sit and relax. The property is huge. Beware of the steps. There are many steps all over the place. It's good exercise though, so it really didn't bother me. The steps are what make the place more charming.

Must do's: get a full body massage and make sure you request an ocean view. Nothing compares to having a complete body massage, listening to the waves crashing against the rocks, feeling the breeze blowing through the hut with the faint sounds of a saxaphone playing. Ahhh, it was a heavenly experience! I heard that the sunset is really beautiful at the Nude Beach. I never got to catch it while I was there (next time I will though!). If you've never been to Jamaica, make sure that you take the Dunn's River Falls trip. Make sure you attend the Friday Night Gala; it was beautiful, great food presentation. The singer was okay; the guy with the band and the silk outfits sung much better. The Beach Party on Tuesday night was fun; great entertainment during dinner was really good. Only thing I didn't like was the bat that decided to crash at our table. And you HAVE to try the Bob Marley. The first one burns when it goes down, but after a few of them you become a little numb to that feeling...

The staff, especially the Social Acitivities team, were the best. Derven, Nolan, Aldane, Kimberly, and Simone took great care of our group. They partied with us, showed us new dances, took us to Margaritaville, made flaming Bob Marley's, helped us celeberate two birthdays and an 30th wedding anniversary. They helped us to make this trip one of the best that we've taken to Jamaica. Because of their hospitality, I would definitely visit again.

• Liked — The Spa, the staff, the grounds, everything was great
  • Disliked — I didn't have any complaints
  • Stayed July 2008
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Baltimore, MD
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2008

This was my first time staying in Ocho Rios but my second time traveling to Jamaica. I was attending a wedding so I had no say in where I would stay. Since I was not part of a couple, I felt a little left out! But as I always do, I made my own fun and had a great time. Yes, the ride to the resort is approximately 2 hours from the airport. When we arrived to CSS, we were greeted promptly with cool towels and champagne. Our room was not ready so our glasses were kept full and then we were upgraded to a penthouse suite for our 'trouble', thanks to Collin! We were escorted to our suite by Frankie and Evol who ensured that we were comfortable and were pleased with the suite. The resort is quite large so often we would call a shuttle to have them drive us to our destination of choice and they were always happy to oblige. I wasn't 'wowed' with the food, but the food at the beach grille was really good. I was surprised that jerk chicken was not part of their daily offerings. I was a little upset that I had none my entire stay :( One thing I do not like is that some of the free trips/activities that are included are only offered once per day. Overall, the service was excellent, the room was very spacious although it could use some updating. Even if I am part of a couple during my next trip to Jamaica, I will still find a different resort to stay.

• Liked — The service by the staff.
  • Disliked — Activities weren't offered numerous times during the day.
  • Stayed July 2008
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2008

My husband and I just returned from a stay at Couples San Souci and we were not impressed. We booked the Prime Minister Suite. The room was huge but run down and in need of a renovation. The activities are a joke! Without getting into to too much detail....water skiing was booked the entire length of our stay, the Dunns River Falls tour is a tourist trap, and the majority of the "all-inclusive" activities are only available at specific times once a week. If you stay less than a week...oh well.

The no-tipping policy is false. The staff flat out asks and/or waits awkwardly for tips. The food is horrible. The menu says filet mignon...what you get is more like filet of goat. By my third day at the hotel I had stopped eating all together. You can literally taste the cheapness of the hotel in the food quality. The room service breakfast consists of cold cereal, a fruit plate, or a bread basket...and they were out of all of the cereals but one. You get a better meal at 2 star budget hotel. The ice machine was broken during our stay too. There's nothing like warm juice to wash down frosted flakes.

We tried to book deep sea fishing through guest services. We were referred to three different hotel staff members who gave us three different prices. We booked a shopping excursion through guest services 2 days in advance and when we showed up they had forgotten to book it. And on the last day of our stay, I had to fight with guest services to get on the shuttle to the airport.

In short, this is a low-class hotel masquerading as something better. Some will be fooled, others won't. If you're looking for a safe Jamaican vacation surrounded by tourists and could care less about food, quality or service than this is the place for you. We spent the rest of our vacation in a cliffside villa at the Rockhouse Hotel in Negril...now that is a hotel!!!

• Liked — The Beach
  • Disliked — The Food
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
MI
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2008

I had my camera stolen from the room. I stayed at couple san souci. Nobody returned it. I was there for 5 days in July. They opened a case for me and I was just notified that there insurance would not cover it. I can't belive that this would happen. I thought the resort was in a high class. I guess not. I would not recomend if you can trust your item in the room where are you spose to put everything. I would not stay here becuase you have no peace of mind. I hope this was helpfull to you.

Thanks

• Liked — You can't trust the house keeping
  • Disliked — Do not Stay here You will Have no peace on mind
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2008

We were at Couples Sans Souci with 3 other couples from July 30 to August 3, 2008. I’ll do my best to break this down into sections and to be as objective as possible. This review is based on mine and my wife’s experiences.

Couples Lounge – A+
The guys that were there were quick to check us in, take our bags and get us some welcome drinks. They did a great job and it was refreshing after a long flight and lines for immigration and customs.

Transportation – A+
We used the Couples supplied transportation. It was fast and efficient. Since it was just my wife, I, and one of the other couples we were traveling with, we told the driver that we would let him know if we wanted a stop. After a while, we decided we wanted to make a pit stop for some Red Stripes and a bio break. We made a quick stop and were back on our way. The ride from the airport with a stop took just under 2 hours. I guess it all depends on the speed of the driver. We heard about others who took much longer because they were driving at a snail’s pace.
The ride back was pretty much the same, minus the stop for beer. Since there were no stops, we made it to the airport in an hour and 22 minutes.

Check in and service staff – C
We arrived at about 2:30 in the afternoon. Since we were the only ones checking in at that time, it was quick, friendly, easy, and our room was ready. For the most part everyone that we encountered was friendly and quick to say hello. However, the staff here is slow even by Caribbean standards. We’ve been to multiple resorts in the Dominican Republic, Jamaica, and Mexico, so we know what to expect as far as speed. These people were slow! I can’t count how many times we had to ask for things more than once or have had the staff come back to us and ask us what we wanted again. How about giving the wait servers a pad and pen? We were at the swim up bar in the au-natural side every day just about all day. Jheanal rarely smiled or remembered what we were drinking and made the wrong drinks a few times. It really seemed like she just didn’t care. We had the same problems with other bartenders at the main pool and the beach bar. You would give your drink order, they would stop to chat with a co worker and then come back to ask us what we wanted again. It got to the point that I could predict to my wife when it was going to happen and sure enough it did! One stand out bartender was Andrew who was in the Balloon Bar and also at the au-natural pool one afternoon. He was funny, attentive, and really cared about what he was doing. I can’t remember the names but the two guys on the snorkeling trip but did a great job and were very friendly.

Rooms – A
We all stayed in the A building (ocean front Jacuzzi suites) on the ground floor. We weren’t expecting much based on the reviews saying they were old and tired but we were pleasantly surprised. We were in A7 and it was clean and spacious. Some areas looked like they could use a little paint or updating but it wasn’t as bad as some of the reviews. I did see our other travel partner’s rooms (A3, A8, and A9) and they were all the same, so I can tell you that at least those rooms were nice. The fridge was always restocked every day and the bar was never used, so I couldn’t really comment on that. The king size bed was more comfortable than most of the other resorts. The bathroom was large and well equipped. The sitting area was small but comfortable with a nice TV that you were able to move to watch in bed if you wanted. The patio was nice and we used it a bit in the mornings and late at night. Our air conditioner was on the fritz for a day or so but once they got a part in, it worked like a champ. Before that, they came 4 times, would get it working and then it would die on us.

Food – A
As I mentioned earlier, I’ve been to other resorts, so I wasn’t expecting the best food but we were surprised. I would say the food at Couples was by far the best food we have had at an all inclusive. Everyone loved their meals from the buffets to the reservation restaurants. They did a good job with the buffets by severing the popular stuff every day but by also adding different items to keep it interesting. Restaurant Casanova was very good but slow. Palazzina Restaurant was good. We ate there on “lobster night” we enjoyed it so much that we all asked and received seconds on the main course. By the way, this is also the same place where they serve the breakfast buffet every day. Bella Vista was also good. Since it was right on the ocean, it had great views. I was also excited that for once I was staying at a place that actually had a restaurant that specialized in serving local food. We ate there for lunch and dinner once and the food was good. We also had lunch a few times at the au-natural pool grill and the service as well as the food was good.

Bars – C-
As I mentioned, the bartenders for the most part were sub-par, so I won’t go into that again. The Beach Bar and Sunset Bar (swim up bar at the au-natural pool) were the best for location. Nice atmosphere and beautiful ocean views. The Balloon Bar/Piano Bar was nice too. Much better service there and the piano sing-along was fun. Here’s where there is a big problem though. As I mentioned, we spent most of our time at the au-natural bar. Late one afternoon, they ran out of vodka. It was odd that a bar could run out of a bar staple such as vodka but we let it go because it was late. The next day when the bar opened, they were still out of vodka and it took them a while to get more. A couple of days later, they ran out of beer, vodka, club soda and some other top shelf liquors. In my opinion, this is unacceptable. The food service manager should always make sure that this never happens. Also, the bartender (Jheanal) should have known she was running low on these items and had them send replacements BEFORE they ran out rather than waiting for them to run out and then taking her time to get them replenished. I don’t think that’s asking for too much. The other odd thing was the same brand of liquors was not served at each bar. A few no brainer improvements could really make the bars much better.

Entertainment – B
The entertainment at Couples was better than most places we’ve been. The effort put into the Gala night was obvious. They spent the entire day setting up. The show was decent and they did a very good job of getting people involved. We did the piano bar one night and spent a while singing and having a good time. We also caught a show one evening on the patio outside of the Balloon bar. After the Gala, they opened up the bar at the au-natural pool and turned it into a disco. The entertainment staff spent the entire night dancing with everyone and teaching different dance moves. The entertainment staff also came to the au-natural pool a few times during the day to play different games and gave away bottles of rum as prizes.

Excursions – A
The only excursion we participated in was the free snorkel trip. They take you out in a glass bottom boat to a shipwreck about 10 minutes away. The views are spectacular and you can see the wreck very clearly. After you are done with the wreck, you swim over to a reef that is teaming with colorful fish and coral. They supply everything you’ll need from fins to mask to a life jacket. The excursion is one hour and you get about 35 minutes of swim time. I highly recommend this to everyone.

Grounds/Beaches – B
The grounds of this resort are beautiful and lush. They are out from the crack of dawn to the end of the day cleaning and grooming the grounds. There is a lot to see and I suggest taking the time to roam around the resort to see all of the areas. The au-natural beach is shallow and calm but rocky. The rocks are smooth but it’s not ideal for hanging out and swimming. The main beach is much better. Nice soft sand and calm waves. If you are a swimmer and plan on spending a lot of time in the ocean, you may be disappointed. If you’re looking for the occasional dip, you’ll be fine.

Overall – B-
Overall, we were happy with the resort. Some simple changes could really make the difference and make this an outstanding resort. We had a good time, most of the staff did a good job and we met a lot of fun people socializing in the pool. I would highly recommend this resort to couples looking to get away in a quiet atmosphere. If you’re looking for a real party atmosphere, this place is probably not for you.

• Liked — Clean, bright, lots of room
  • Disliked — Service is lacking by a just a few people
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
vancleave, ms
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2008

We arrived on Saturday, July 12, at 8:30 p.m.
We weren't greeted with a cool cloth nor champagne, however, not knowing at the time that it was the custom, it didn't bother me. We were assigned to a beachfront room, however, I asked for one on the hill so we were put in G2.
I loved it! The bedroom and livingroom were separated by a little hall. The livingroom had sliding glass doors which opened onto the balcony. The view was gorgeous!
The balcony had a double chaise lounge and a table and chairs. It was nice eating breakfast on the balcony looking at the blue, blue, Caribbean.
The bedroom, bathroom, and livingroom were all very comfortably sized.
The mini bar was stocked. The only problem was no bottle opener for the soft drinks.
The bellman showed us to the room and soon we headed down to the Bella Vista to eat a very delicious meal.
There was a very good singer at the Balloon Terrace that night.
Sunday, we lay on the beach all day and marveled at the beauty of the resort and ocean.
Sunday night we ate at the Cassanova. It was very nice and the food was great. There was a very good group that performed at the Terrace that night.
On Monday we went on the glass bottom boat ride and then snorkling. Beautiful!
Monday night we went to the Pallazina. Again, as with the Cassanova, just wonderful. They had a hilarious Couples gameshow on the Terrace that night.
On Tuesday I took the resort diving course and then went on the dive. Breathtaking! Then we had a Couples massage. It was the best massage I've ever had. And, so relaxing listening to the waves slapping against the rocks below.
That night a buffet beach party was held. Many dishes and an entertaining show!
The foilage at the resort is so lush and beautiful! Everyone was so nice and polite.
Special thanks to housekeepers Latasha and LaToya, Marlon in watersports (so amusing to listen to his commentary on the glass bottom boat and on the snorkling trip), my dive instructor (he was so patient and kind. Knowing that I was kind of nervous, he stayed right by my side the whole time we were diving.
The guest services people were very accomodating. The bartenders, waiters, and waitresses were very professional and polite.
I wish I could have stayed forever!
Oh, and when my husband accidentally left his sunglasses in our room when we checked out, San Souchi sent them via driver to Couples Swept Away where we were then staying.

• Liked — Beautiful foilage, arrangement of facilities, nice, quiet beach.
  • Disliked — bartenders a little too reserved
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Couples Sans Souci? Share your experiences!