“3rd Trip to CSS” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Couples Sans Souci

You added Couples Sans Souci to your Saves list
Couples Sans Souci
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Route A3, St-Mary | PO Box 103, Ocho Rios, Jamaica   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #4 of 40 Hotels in Ocho Rios
Del Rio, TX
“3rd Trip to CSS”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

So, after visiting CSS three times in 1 1/2 years, I feel that maybe it has had better days. For some reason, the first time we visited it was amazing (maybe the wool was pulled over our eyes), 2nd time was more relaxed since we knew all about it and third time I noticed things that I had overlooked the first 2 times. We took my parents so it was the 4 of us. My parents loved it and just fell in love with it. I feel that this time was a little disappointing. Yes, the resort has always needed some remodeling, but this time was worse. The food didn't seem as good. The NYE buffet was crowded and made me only get 1 plate of food and 1 plate of dessert. The dessert for the NYE buffet was great, food was okay. I feel that the staff 'makes' the resort for us. They are the reason we have been 3 times. Nickoy at Charlie's Bar is great, Deon was a funny and great waitress, Sasha and Lingini (Leightonette) are great entertainment coordinators. Nicola is a nice waitress at Casanova. Ruth and Marsha are AWESOME at the Spa. :) We love the staff and they are the reason we return. We really enjoy Maliachi and Derron at the Watersports. They go above and beyond to help us enjoy the water sports and have a great time on our Private Snorkel. (I highly recommend the Private Snorkel!) I feel that they are like family. I would like the food to get better/change. I felt that the menus were the same as when we went in June and last June. I felt that the food at the Beach Grill (nights) was MUCH better than the reservation restaurants (Pallazina, Cassanova). I do like the beach and the ability to always have a lounge chair/float. We love the foliage and views. Maybe some updated menus and new nightly entertainment. Let's shake some stuff up CSS! Then we will return, in the meantime, we will try another Couples resort next time.

Room Tip: We've stayed in E block, G block and now D block. We like D block and it's closeness to eve...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (818)
provence
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

Like other recient reviews we wondered whether or not to write a review but decided we needed to add out comments to support those already made and a few points of our own.

This was our third visit to this hotel. We were suprised at just how badly the rooms had deteriorated. Our shower room had tiles that were comming away from the floor and the actual shower head was broken so that it just sent out a single trickle of water. We eventually had it fixed but only after repeated requests and a final visit to the front desk to insist on getting it repaired.

On the subject of the front desk - do they ever smile? In comparison to the rest of the staff who really do make up for the decaying hotel I always felt that they were doing us a favor just being there! Given that they are the first contact with the hotel they really need to get their act together.

We are not fans of the buffet beach party and Gala nights. Our choice but we really would like to see one other dining option available on those nights as we know we are not the only people who prefer to be served. The New Year's Eve Gala night as others have said was a prime example of why we dislike buffets - badly organised with people milling around in a small space, food picked over by those ahead of you or run out if a more popular option.

We did not stay for the entertainment but like many people retreated to a bar and then our room.

We were pleased to see that on this visit there were no early towels out blocking off beds (with exceptions) and free beds were available throughout the day. I speak only of Sun Set Beach (SSB) as we did not use the main beach. On a previous visit by 8am all the beds on SSB had been taken. We did notice though towards the end of our visit that larger groups of repeaters were arriving and started to block out large sections of beds.

At the end of the holiday we both agreed we would like to be able to return but some serious remedial work has to be done on the rooms. If we were giving the rooms a rating by European standards I suspect they would struggle to make 2* - looking at the state of our tiles and the mould growing out from them that would only be if the Public Health Inspectors had not shut the hotel down first.

Come on Couples you cannot trade of the goodwill of repeat visitors who are perhaps more forgiving that first time guests.

Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2014

Css is an idealic resort. The grounds are beautiful and lush. Staff are the strong point of this resort as they go above and beyond to be helpful and accomadating. The food at the gala and beach party was amazing in both variety and quality for a resort. The only week point of the resort is the housekeeping department which seems to have issues with getting rooms cleaned in a timely fashion, a comment we heard from all guests that we talked to. The onsite entertainment was ok, however the newyears gala enterrainment was a major let down and far below the standards of other resorts we have stayed at. By 10:30 the interpertive very amateur dance troop had scared many guests away and ruined the festive vibe you would expect of a newyears party. With some room renovations which I understand are in the future this will be truely a 5 star resort. We will definitely be returning to css as we met many wonderful new friends and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. Nicola, dominique, milton, sanita, taneasha, mike and so many other staff you folks are amazing!!

Norwalk, Ct.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2014

I have been trying to decide whether to write this or not. I couldn't even decide between 'poor" and "good" but am feeling so guilty I am giving it a good. I want to make clear that I am a HUGE fan of Couples resorts. I have been to all of them except San Souci many times. We decided to try the last of the four because we read about all the rewards it got and good reviews. I am totally puzzled. We talked to a lot of people during our week stay. Many people have been there 18,15, 10 times! Those people were just in love with the resort! But all the people who were there for the first time like us had many, many complaints. None of the first timers indicated they would return (including us). And yes, we talked to a lot of first timers.
Ok, first things first.....the good points:
Beautiful scenery
Good drinks and bartenders (do not expect to get top shelf.........it doesn't exist here).
Good housekeeping
Nice breakfast buffet (much like the other 3 resorts)
Nice clean beach area (very small but nice)
Never had a problem getting a beach chair (no one ever helped us....we just walked around until we found a chair and then walked around until we found a second chair and moved them together)
Great Spa services (in little huts high up over the water). Truly lovely and worth the money. This was the highlight of our stay.
Beautiful decorations for New Years Eve. Best we have seen at a Couples resort. The theme was the Great Gatsby. Really lovely and well done.
Ok...........sorry but cant think of any more positives so here goes the negatives:
3 restaurants...all have different names but the same food (this became a joke among the guests). In all fairness the top restaurant did have some special items which ranged from very good to just ok. The food just cant compare to the other 3 resorts. The manager needs to spend some time visiting the other 3. we have always LOVED the food at Couples. One example: 3 nights in a row at 3 different restaurants at San Souci, the fish of the day (and the only fish was SWORDFISH!). There isn't any swordfish in Jamaica. It was imported from who knows where and it was awful! Overcooked and tasteless...so dry we couldn't even swallow it. Where was the local fish that we have so enjoyed at the other resorts? My husband ate meat at every meal and I just ate salads etc. Everyone we talked to was filling up on desserts (ok me included). We were so tired of the food we couldn't wait to get home and cook something good :)
The whole place is falling apart. Our small balcony had holes in the railings, loose boards etc. Some people we met had a bathtub that leaked! The boards at the snack bar are in terrible shape. Some of the many, many stairs were safety hazards.
Sheets were gray and dingy. Really? Just buy some new sheets! That's an easy one to fix. Again housekeeping tried their very best to make the bed and room look good. Thank you!
Some of the wait staff was great (Vivian!). Some were actually a bit rude. And we never complained and thanked everyone a lot for everything. I think we were trying to just get some smiles and some of that famous Jamaican hospitality we have always experienced.
The whole arrangement of this resort because of its physical properties make it a resort which is very strange to navigate. There are the top dwellers and the bottom dwellers and it makes for almost two resorts. To see any entertainment at all, one has to climb about 300 stairs or call a van to take you up to the top. Very dangerous to walk at night!!! Not to mention exhausting.
The piano bar which we absolutely LOVE at CSA is a joke. There is a man playing the piano. He never speaks to the guests and there is no sing a long. It is simply a man playing the piano. Disappointing. We have had so much fun at the piano bar at CSA. Now that man is an entertainer!
All the young people who were there were very disappointed in the total lack of anything fun to do at night. They will not be back for sure.
Ok, I mentioned New Years Eve.. Even though I give them high marks for the decorations, the rest gets low marks. Food was not great and it was really confusing and a mess in the food area. Much too small, people bumping into each other carrying plates. A total lack of any sort of organization. Wow! Too much work and totally a mess. The dessert private room was the best of the evening. The entertainment was boring and went on way too long. I really do appreciate local talent and seeing the local culture but you don't have people drinking for 2 hours and then put on a show which lasted way too long. Its New Years Eve! People want to party and dance. Unfortunately, by the time the dance music started 3/4 of the people had gone to their rooms (including us and we love to dance). From our balcony we could hear the music. By the way, we were in Jamaica not the USA. How about some wonderful Jamaican music. Never heard any the whole time we were there :(
Ok, I feel I had to write this because I use TripAdvisor a lot and my husband said that not writing it would be unfair to people trying to decide whether to go to this resort.
Do I feel good about writing this,,,,,no. I feel bad because I love Couples and will continue to go but just not to this one. Sorry to all the people who go year after year and probably are not happy with my review. I almost felt like I was living the story of "The Emperor's Clothes" when I spoke to these people. All the newbies could see all of this but the returners could not or would not. Credit to this resort for having such very loyal guests.

Room Tip: Beachfront Suites...B building
Guildford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2014

Overall, we loved Couples Sans Souci (hereafter CSS) and when we criticise it below, please bear in mind that these are minor quibbles. The food is good, the facilities are good, and the staff are nothing short of superb.

The accommodation is clustered around a steep-sided bowl, at the base of which is the main beach. There a lot of stairs, and a certain amount of aerobic fitness will be an advantage, as will a small torch for night-time descents. If you have mobility problems, CSS really isn’t for you.

On the western side of the bowl there is a beautiful lake stocked with fish, turtles, herons, egrets and pelicans, which leads on to the nudist beach and finally a small river. On the eastern side you’ll find a well-equipped gym and yoga room (with mats and punch bags) and the spa. There are four pools, three hot tubs and a sauna.

The gardens are not overly manicured, giving a slightly ‘jungly’ feeling to the place. There’s a good bit of wildlife here, with about a million lizards and noisy tree frogs (“BLEEK!”), lizards, butterflies, dragonflies, land crabs, large but allegedly harmless spiders, next door’s dogs and a tribe of feral cats. Birds include the aforementioned fishers, frigate birds, plovers, john crow (aka turkey vultures) and a couple of grumpy parrots. Oh, and a lot of mosquitos, and you’ll need a nightly seek-and-destroy mission to avoid getting eaten.

Breakfast and lunch consisted of a buffet with everything you could want (from akee to vodka, ye gods) tending to the plentiful rather than haute cuisine. There’s also a juice bar serving small snacks (try the smoked marlin on rye) and a beach bar serving burgers and pizza. In the evening, there are two reservation-only restaurants: Palazzo, a rather ho-hum Italian-themed eatery, and Casanova, which is a Caribbean take on fine dining (posh frocks only). But the consistently best eating experience for us was the turn-up-and-eat beach bar, where good food is served in a relaxed environment right by the ocean. Twice a week, all the restaurants are closed and everybody eats on the beach.

The house wine was distinctly average but you could upgrade to a variety of overpriced Australian and American wines. We stayed recently at a Sandals and there was a constant pressure there to buy from their similarly overpriced wine list – but not at CSS, which we liked. Beer is Red Stripe (meh), and there’s a wide range of spirits including expensive international brands. Everything, from food to liquor, is available in your room if you don’t feel like stirring, and of course it’s all free.

There’s entertainment every night with a good and versatile house band and plenty of acts from around the island. The hotel organises daily free trips to Dunn’s River Falls (do it!), the local Margaritaville (don’t do it!), and the shopping areas of Ochos Rios (a madhouse). You can also book the usual range of tourist trips in the lobby. Do try to get to see some of inland Jamaica while you are here: it’s stunningly beautiful.

The quality of a resort, and thus your vacation, lies in the training and attitude of the staff, and here we absolutely could not fault CSS. The staff are well trained and disciplined, and coupled with the very laid back Jamaican spirit, you never feel less than welcome (although you will be regularly teased by the staff). For New Year’s Eve, they laid on a ‘spectacular’ for which every single staff member apparently pulled a double shift to make it as good as it could be. There is a ‘no tipping’ culture on the resort as well, which delivers consistently good service, and there were no hassles on the beach from local vendors.

We tried the spa a couple of times, with good massages averaging about US$100, and delivered in rooms perched on rocky outcrops – the crashing of the waves were really relaxing.

Water sports are all free, including the sailing and diving. The house reef is pretty knackered owing to a recent storm, so there isn’t much quality snorkelling around, but there’s a sweet little wreck (the SS Kathryn) that the twice-daily snorkelling trips visit. The dive shop runs one or two dives daily, with relaxed diving being the order of the day rather than epic underwater adventures. Crew and gear are both excellent, and the only thing you have to rent is a wetsuit, which you don’t really need unless you really feel the cold. The reef is not vastly healthy and is pretty fished out: you may see a ray, a turtle or perhaps a nurse shark, but there’s no such thing as a bad dive, eh? Important note: because of the configuration of the house reef, under certain tidal/weather conditions they can’t get the boat out of the bay, so diving is not guaranteed.

Comparisons are invidious, and I accept the difference is partly the culture of the island and partly the philosophy of the management, but as we indicated above we last visited a Sandals on St Lucia, and we much preferred CSS. Sandals plagued us with constant pressure to buy extras (beach canopies, better wine, bigger rooms) which is not part of the culture at CSS, and we got a very good deal here.

So, to sum up, CSS is well-run with excellent staff. Food and drink are very good, and the place is infused with the relaxed Jamaican culture. There are more up-scale resorts and certainly better places to go to dive, but CSS was great value for money and overall we loved it.

Room Tip: We had a ‘hillside room with limited sea view’ in D block which was exactly as described. It’s one...
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014

I’m going to try my best to review both the highlights and the lowlights of the resort. With that being said, you should know that my husband and I travel quite a bit and in the past few years have stayed in 10+ all-inclusive resorts in the Caribbean/Mexico, so I’m always comparing the next resort to the previous ones and may be overly critical.

We booked CSS because we had stayed at Tower Isle in 2004 and had a marvelous experience there. We loved that CSS has lots of acreage and is nestled in a quiet cove, which means that you don’t get random people approaching you while sunbathing to offer you sunglasses/jewelry/etc. If you’ve read previous posts, you’ll see that the rocky nature of the terrain has led to staircases EVERYWHERE which we thought was great. Yes, it takes some time to get from one side of the resort to the other, but it is also a great way to work off the nightly desserts. The landscaping is gorgeous – they do a fantastic job - and there are hammocks hidden in various parts of the resort hidden by large plants and beautiful leaves.

We are animal lovers and this resort did not disappoint. In addition to two semi-friendly caged parrots (“Cracker” and “Anita”), there are a few friendly dogs : two puppies and a grown, rust-colored dog, all who appeared well fed, who were roaming the resort while we were there. We called the older dog “Mr. Stubby” because he has a stubby half-tail and a lot of personality. My husband and I loved their company and would often head to the beach bar to see if I could find one or more and give them some attention. We weren’t the only ones; the vast majority of the people at the resort seemed to be “dog people” and didn’t mind the company of our new furry friends. There were unconfirmed rumors that the three dogs belong to a gentleman who lives in a home situated between the main beach and the Au Natural beach. I hope this is true; Jamaica has a widespread problem with feral dogs and it seems that little is done to correct the problem outside of the resort areas, though we suspect that the dogs would eat well regardless due to the generosity of the guests.

Apparently there was an issue with an employee treating one of the puppies quite badly the day before our arrival; we were told by other guests (presumably after management had fielded some complaints) that the issue had been dealt with and presumably the employee had either been reprimanded and/or terminated. I will note that the older dog was present during the Friday night beach dinner and the staff were (KINDLY) trying to distract him away from the people eating.

There are also a handful of feral cats who roam the grounds and also get lots of attention and food from the guests. Personally, I liked seeing them and especially enjoyed seeing a very tiny kitten who was not yet weaned and who could often be found outside one of the restaurant areas with its mother.

Our room was in the A block, on the very end of the resort. This block is convenient to the main beach and main pool area, as it is situated directly behind them, and is just steps away from a beautiful pond. The pond was a true highlight for me: there are lots of birds, fish and turtles who eagerly await the arrival of any food that guests want to throw their way. Interestingly, one of the breeds of birds found in the pond is a striated heron: if you give it a bit of bread, it will use the bread as bait to lure fish, then will quickly drop the bread and scoop up the fish to eat. Only a few birds in the world are able to use tools in this manner and the striated heron is more often known for being a Galapagos bird than a Jamaican one… So if you want to see something truly impressive in nature, head to the pond!

As impressed as we were with the pond, we were not so impressed with the room. The architecture of it was very well done, with a separate sitting area, bedroom area, and large balcony. However, the rooms (or at least the rooms in the A block) are in dire need of renovation. The décor is outdated and the furniture has seen better days. Our ceiling was disintegrating and had been patched prior to our arrival; unfortunately on Day 2 the patch fell out of the ceiling and into one of our sinks along with the surrounding plaster. (This was easily cleaned up and I didn’t make a big deal about it as the ceiling functioned fine for the rest of the week, despite some obvious water damage to it.) The other bathroom issue was a ceiling leak that was located above the toilet; this again was not a huge deal, we would just wipe up the water every night with a towel, but not something we’ve experienced at other high end resorts. (Disclaimer: during the Repeat Guest dinner, the GM noted that many parts of the resort will be remodeled in the upcoming year, including the rooms!)

Usually I prefer the beach area, but the water in the roped-off area is very shallow (I am 5’6” and it didn’t go above my chest in the deepest parts) and it was often hard to find two free lounge chairs. We did use the beach equipment (stand up paddleboards, kayak, etc.) a few times and really enjoyed it.

The pools were very well maintained. We spent most of our time at the Mineral Pool off of the fitness center because it was a bit quieter, always had free chairs, and overlooks the ocean. This pool also offers a smoothie bar which was wonderful. Two of the staff members (Nickoy and Sheldon) would make us a different smoothie every day, plus light lunch fare including wraps and small cold appetizer plates. We often ate lunch here because it was convenient, you could stay in your swimsuit, and the menu selection was surprisingly good. We didn’t have any complaints about the food in the restaurants which was quite good. Our only suggestion would echo a prior reviewer who noted a LOT of flies at the lunch area on the beach: a glue trap or two would do wonders, as no one likes shooing persistent flies away when they eat.

We also swam in a smaller pool off of the lobby, not sure what its name is but it had a waterfall and was ALWAYS empty – such that we would refer to it as our “private pool” because we went there three times and never ran into anyone else who wanted to swim. We think people were uninterested because there were no lounge chairs available (fine with us!), just regular patio chairs.

We didn’t go to the Au Natural beach, but it seemed to be quite popular and we walked past it a few times on our way to and from the tennis courts. The courts were well maintained and we never had difficulty finding a court time; usually we would show up in the afternoons and be the only ones using the courts.

The gift shop was well stocked with clothing/souvenirs and had surprisingly low prices. I would not recommend, however, the Jewel Box (the on-site jewelry store). The prices on watches and jewelry are just ridiculously inflated (even after your requisite 50% off), so they’re quoting $250+ for Fossil watches that you can find at Macys for a lot less. You receive a $50 any jewelry coupon upon check-in; I was disappointed that, after winning a $100 gift card from the Repeat Guests raffle, I was unable to combine the two, as neither coupon said anything about “cannot be combined with other offers” or the like and I assumed the gift card would be treated like cash. Anyway, I did end up buying a pair of earrings, but even WITH a 50% discount and a $100 gift certificate, I still overpaid significantly (confirmed via Internet search later).

I think our favorite part of CSS would be the outdoor entertainment. We were there for New Year’s Eve and the staff just put on a spectacular dinner and show. Probably the best buffet we’ve ever had at a resort and just a ridiculous assortment of food options. The same can be said for the Repeat Guests Dinner (fabulous food and so nice to talk to the GM and meet some of the head staff) as well as the Friday night Beach Gala. You really appreciate how hard everyone works at the resort when you see the set up and take down for these events.

Despite some criticisms above, I think the Couples brand boils down to wonderful staff who are friendly, helpful and always have a smile regardless of whether they’re cleaning your room, serving you breakfast or landscaping the grounds. My husband and I agreed that the resort does a great job hiring personable, welcoming people who really enhance the vacation experience.

Cambridge, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014

When filling out the questionnaire before leaving the resort, all the ticks in the boxes came out as good, but I was slightly disappointed with the resort. Firstly can I say that the resort had a lot to live up to, as we had been to Couples Nigril for the same period 3 years ago.

It was silly little things that annoyed us such as, Cats and dogs on the beach, and the tourists that still insist on feeding them. Being served champagne on a plastic glass in the Casanova, having a allocated a room, that someone was already in use, however couldn’t fault the hotel as this was sorted out immediately. The queuing system for the New Years Eve dinner served at the Plazzina could have been better thought out. Not been able to get alcohol and the second swimming pool (only smoothies). no loos in the close proximity, unless your rooms were that side of the complex. The people in the joining room had room service one night, and some of the cats or dogs, had been round during the night, and left bones everywhere. This wasn’t cleared till mid afternoon, when the maid cleaned up the room.

The resort does look slightly tired and could do sprucing up.Overall the resort was average to good, all the restaurants were good to eat in, and the resort was clean.
Would I go back? No, have done Jamaica twice, and would like to try some of the other Caribbean Island out.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
CSS_Operations_Mgr, Manager at Couples Sans Souci, responded to this review, January 8, 2014
Simon,

Thank you very much for your review of our resort as well as for taking the time to complete our customer satisfaction survey prior to your departure.

Please allow me to apologize for the animals on the resort grounds. We are completing a fencing project at the moment and the gaps in the fence have allowed access to animals that otherwise would have remained on the outside. It is a situation that should be resolved in short order.

We were extremely surprised to hear that you were served a plastic cup in one of our restaurants. I'm sure that you noticed during your stay that our service standard is to provide proper glassware in the restaurants, anything else is highly unusual and I have asked the Food & Beverage Manager to investigate the matter.

I must point out that we have two pools with full service bars throughout the day. A third pool, the Mineral Pool is served by the adjacent Charlie's Bar - which focuses on healthier food items as well as smoothies.

Warmest regards,

Nicholas Lynch
Operations Manager

Been to Couples Sans Souci? Share your experiences!