“Best vacation we have ever had! Can't wait to go back!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Couples Sans Souci

Save Saved
You added Couples Sans Souci to your Saves list
Couples Sans Souci
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Route A3, St-Mary | PO Box 103, Ocho Rios, Jamaica   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #4 of 39 hotels in Ocho Rios
“Best vacation we have ever had! Can't wait to go back!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

It was our friends 40th anniversay and our 15th. We are all over 56 so a wild night life wasn't something we were looking for but they kept us busy with a huge dinner on the beach on tue and another one on fri. The food was amazing and the staff even better. Our rooms were cleaned twice a day with fresh towels and sheets and the bed was turned down every night. The things that were included were unbelievable. Scuba, Dunns fall, glass bottom boat, wind sailing and so much more. Kevin was one of our favorite staff. He was warm and so friendly and helpful I can't say enough about him. I was standing in line at Tuesdays beach dinner at the meat station when one of the chiefs said to me my lady you don't ever stand in line for anything here you are on vacation and with that he took my plate and got me my meat. I was overwhelmed by all the genuine kindness as was my husband and our friends. I know there are some reviews that aren't very good but some people just can't be pleased and expect the moon but in our eyes this place was sheer paradise. Just remember its not so much where you are at but who you are with but you will want for nothing here. It's a smaller compound so your service is wonderful. Enjoy!

• Stayed June 2013

2,241 people have reviewed this hotel

1925
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (679)
indianapolis
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

We always go to Couples Negril, but thought we would try out another couples resort. We knew within 4hrs that we had made a mistake. some good, some things not so good.

The check in went very well. The food was ok, the scenery is very lush, the resort is very spread out. There are a lot of steps. The view from the room was very good, but the room was very musty/moldy as it turned out. It wasn't until the 5th night that we realized how bad the problem was. My wife became sick and had difficulty breathing by the 4th night, she got some medical advice and was able to take an over the counter drug to help. We left after 7 nights and went to Couples Negril, the problem disappeared in 24hrs. Hindsight is always 20/20. We should have requested to move rooms, didn't want to make a big deal out of it....our mistake.

The area where the nightly entertainment takes place, just down from the checkin area, is ridiculously small. Totally inadequate for what they are trying to do, and frankly the singers/entertainers were subpar. The piano bar is another situation where its in a poor location, and lightly attended.
I like to scuba, play beach volleyball and pool volleyball. At the most, there were 3 of us for Scuba all week. The scheduled Beach volleyball, never happened. Pool Volleyball happened twice.

Location is important at this resort, we had 90 steps to climb, almost every night after the entertainment on the beach. During the day, thats not a biggy, but at the end of the night after a full day of beach, sun, drinking, dancing. Climbing those steps to your room at night is not anything we looked forward to. If your going to stay here book beachfront.
If you are looking for a resort that is full of private areas where you will meet few people, then this might be the place for you. But if you like to be social with people participating in activities, then go to couples negril. The resort was 80% full.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
CSS_Operations_Mgr, Manager at Couples Sans Souci, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
Thank you very much for taking the time to post a review on Couples Sans Souci. Of course, we were disappointed that you didn't enjoy your experience with us but we do realize that no matter how many guests love our facilities, occasionally we will host a couple who might find a better fit elsewhere. Participation in any of the activities fluctuates based on the personalities of the guests staying at any given time but scuba in particular is one of the most popular activities at Couples Sans Souci and usually very well subscribed.

I was delighted to see that you are a huge supporter of Couples Negril and as you have seen there are differences between the two resorts. This does not necessarily mean that one resort is better than the other - the differences are what make each resort special and may even make one "perfect" for you. It is interesting to note that during a month when we were virtually at capacity, your impression was that we were only 80% full - it is this intimate and welcoming atmosphere that many of our guests crave.

We hope that you will continue to support the Couples brand and look forward to hosting you again in the near future (although it seems that Couples Negril has won your heart).

Warmest regards,

NL
timmins, ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

We had our honeymoon here last July (2012) and we couldn't have chosen a better place! The resort is outdated, but we didn't mind one bit. Everything was kept pristine. The staff was SOO NICE and accomodating; anything you wanted, you got. The vegetation was beautiful, and the food was great too. If I tried really really really hard to find one single thing to complain about, it would be the fitness lady taking over the mineral pool for her classes. My suggestion would be to use the one pool that is always 100% empty because there are no lounge chairs around it. Then, the customers trying to have a relaxing time at the mineral pool, wouldn't be interrupted. But seriously, that's just me digging really hard to find something to complain about. I 150% recommend this resort if you are looking for romance, and a magical vibe. Two very enthusiastic thumbs up!

Room Tip: We stayed in the G block... I want to say G8 but I'm not positive. We had a really really great...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
York, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

I traveled here with my partner for a week and we will definitely be returning! We were upgraded on arrival with it being our honeymoon to a suite overlooking the cove. There is a saxophonist who plays around the resort on a couple of the nights which really added to the charm of the holiday. The food was to die for, especially at the gala dinner where there was so much to choose from.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Egg Harbor City, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

Our fourth trip to Couples, third to Sans Souci. We stayed from June 1-8 2013.
Any reservations we had about returning home, melted away as soon as we stepped off the bus. From the girls at the front desk who kindly gave us a room on the second floor after I accidentally asked for a specific room that was on the first floor (stupid me) and the bellman, Lemworth, who kindly took us back up to the office after I realized my mistake, to the guys putting our bags on the bus when we left. and everyone in between! Everything was great. Every evening Camoy at the beach bar would give me two cups of ice automatically! Seeing Maureen at the pallazina and the beach bar was awesome. She remembered us from last year and made us feel right at home. Ruth from the spa is highly recommended. I had a hot stone massage and the bamboo massage and i feel great. Ruth really knows her stuff. Dominique at the pool bar and Masell (he is at the pool and beach bar )were right on the ball and highly entertaining. Speaking of entertainment- Simone (fluffy) was fabulous! so much fun! And as an added bonus Milton was also working in entertainment as well! What a great kid! I hope he goes far with his future. Joel and Jerome at the veggie bar by the mineral pool were fantastic! and Marvin did a great job with the pool and jacuzzi. There are a lot of trainees here as well. I think they all did a great job! Vanya, Denae are so personable and work very hard, I apologize because I can't remember all the names of everyone ( I did remember them when I filled out our comment card! Sandy, our housekeeper did a great job with our room and Una always freshened up our room during turndown.
Erol, landscaper, is very knowledgeable about keeping the grounds and staying green! ask him anything!

Couples Sans Souci has one of the best teams we have ever come across. They should be very proud of this resort and the greatness of the people who work there.

Our room was A16, we had a great view of the ocean and pool. The bed was so comfortable, we slept like the dead every night. Lots of pillows too. The room also has an iron and board plus hairdryer. Our shower had great pressure and was hot when we wanted. The shampoo, body wash and lotion were very nice as well.Beach towels are big and we turned them in several times a day with no problems. We left our towels in the room when we left since it was early and it was not a problem not having a piece of paper saying we turned them in.

The after party at the au natural beach, we never heard them at all. The laughter at the pool bar was not intrusive at all. The beach party and the gala food lines were not an issue, we stood in line at the salad bar for a few minutes but the line moved well, as far as we were concerned.

Getting reservations was not an issue either. There were a few nights when I made last minute reservations at the Pallazina at 7pm. The Cassanova, however, I would make a reservation in the morning or the day before for 7pm. We find it hard to stay awake past 9:30 so prefer an earlier dinner. Room service was good, the only thing is I wish they would put the cheese platter back on the list. We did mostly late lunches and the club sandwiches and nacho's were excellent.

The repeaters dinner was held inside due to possible rain and it was lovely. The room was done up and everything was sit down and delicious! Sitting with Milton was a blast!

We are looking forward and planning our next trip.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Ambler, Pennsylvania, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

We enjoyed our 7 nights in A block at Couples Sans Souci! As others have said, the property is lovely, spread out over the cliffs, lots of steps and neat walkways with beautiful views. Service is very good, most staff seem willing to help. Some have more of a "no problem, Mon" attitude which doesn't always translate into "Yes, I will help you with that request". Rooms were very clean, very functional, plenty of space. Not as modern as a newly built place, so if that is important you might be disappointed, but considering the amount of time spent in the room....We really liked the convenience of A block, but D block looked wonderful with gorgeous views and only about 57 steps to the beach.

Breakfast at Pallazina was better when we discovered the made to order omelettes and waffles and the smoothie bar! Dinner at Pallazina was very good, Cassanova was excellent and even the Beach Grille had very good dinners.

What we liked most about this resort was the quiet, casual nature. It is very laid back, and very relaxing. We really enjoyed the AN facilities on Sunset Beach and found all of the people we met to be very friendly and welcoming, as this was our first time! It was quite refreshing to experience the dynamic of pretenses, judgements and barriers dropping along with clothes. Note it is a fun and social, but NOT sexual atmosphere so don't be afraid to try it!

I'd recommend the private dinner in the Wedding Gazebo. It was quiet, romantic and delicious. Do bring bug repellent! The private dinner set up on Sunset Beach also looked beautiful. Worth the extra expense.

There are photographers around the resort and during dinner (Chevel is excellent) who will take pics you can purchase later. They were expensive - $15 per but they were nice and it was convenient to not have to take your camera to dinner.

The Dunn's River trip was included, close by, and worth doing. Ask for Malachai (aka Skippy) to take you out on the large catamaran, and definitely have Veronique make you whatever her special of the day is!

The beach bbq was fun and food was delicious. Wear your bug repellant! We could have done without the extended, 4 course gift shop commercial/fasion show, and really wish the "worlds best" steel drum band would have played more authentic, traditional music. I love Michael Jackson, and I imagine the resort assumes that American's may want to hear American music, but many others I spoke to agreed that we would have loved to hear some Jamaican music! The Starlight Gala was unfortunately moved indoors due to weather, which was not the most conducive and we were sad to miss what we've heard is a beautiful event.

Having been to Couples Swept Away before, I'd say the level of service is consistent and I enjoyed both places. While the beach in Negril is far nicer and bigger, it is also public which means many vendors. The beaches at Sans Souci in Ocho Rios are private and there were no vendors at all which was very nice. The water is not as nice and the sand is more rocky but the trade off is complelling for the relative quiet and not being disturbed!

This is a great place to relax, escape and be with the one you love, and skinny dip too :-)

Room Tip: A and B are closes to beach, pool, Sunset Beach and Pallazina.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for 9 nights and we felt like we were in heaven from the moment we got to the airport lounge. Everyone is as friendly as the reviews say and they go out of their way to please you. We even got a little picky towards the end, just pushing the boundaries I guess and we were never told no to any of our requests. I don't think the rooms were dated or dirty at all, they seemed to go out of their way to want to keep them clean with daily maid service and nightly turn-down service on the beds. We stayed in a penthouse suite in D block, and the room was huge and it had 1 1/2 bathrooms with a huge balcony with beautiful views. We really enjoyed room service on our balcony for breakfast.

I am pregnant and I really enjoyed on sipping non-alcoholic frozen drinks while on the beach relaxing while my husband had his alcoholic drinks. We also loved all of the included water activities, we enjoyed the glass bottom boat ride, snorkeling, sailing, kayaing and taking the paddle boat. They always had enough equipment and we were never not able to do anything we wanted.

There was more than enough selection with the food, we didn't even get to eat at all of the restaurants, though we had our favorites like the beach grill for lunch. We also did a private dinner on the au natural beach, which was excellent. The price really was not bad either when compared with eating a 5 course dinner at a nice restaurant back at home. The food was excellent, above and beyond what was served at Cassanova & Pallazizina. I had the surf & turn and the steak melted in my mouth. Plus we had the whole beach to ourselves along with a private server and private chef who prepared it out there for us. We also got to do a sky lantern afterwards to make the evening extra memorable. They do offer a dinner on the main beach for $40 less, but it's really worth it to go au natural because it's much more private. We saw lots of dinners on the main beach and basically everyone could just walk by and see you. We took our own music and mini portable speaker as well so we could have music and our server took lots of pictures for us.

Another plus was the included Dunn's River excursion, it was good to get out and see the town. We also booked Hooves horseback riding through the resort and we loved it!! I would defiantly book through them because they will get you a private ride for the same price that others pay for the group ride.

I was slightly worried about the themed dinner nights since the other restaurants are closed on those nights, but the food was very good at both. We had prime rib and stuffed pork for the gala night and tons of selections on the beach party night. Our only small complaint was there was not enough reggae music! We heard quite a bit of American music that we just aren't that into like Lady Gaga and other 60's, 70's and 80's soft rock/love music type stuff. I think adding another night of steel pan drums and more local music would be wonderful, Jamaica has such a rich music culture, and I think the resort needs to embrace it a little more. We also thought the price of the pictures was too high, $50 for 3 pictures is steep when you can just take your own.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Couples Sans Souci? Share your experiences!