“Great people, great place!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Couples Sans Souci

You added Couples Sans Souci to your Saves list
Couples Sans Souci
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Route A3, St-Mary | PO Box 103, Ocho Rios, Jamaica   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #3 of 40 Hotels in Ocho Rios
Whitstable, United Kingdom
“Great people, great place!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

We stayed for two weeks between 13th & 27th March. We've been to Tower Isle a couple of times before but this was our first visit to Sans Souci. It was recommended to us by people we met last year at Tower Isle who had been on one of the exchange days. We are so glad we took their advice! We had a great holiday, met some fantastic people and will certainly book to go again next year.
The hotel is getting a little frayed around the edges but the rooms are spacious, kept spotlessly clean and everything functions properly. We stayed in one of the most basic rooms (Block C) and had a large sitting area (that we hardly used), an extremely comfortable bed, superb air con and a bathroom that did all we needed it to. We don't spend a lot of time in the room when not asleep so it was fine. Couples have changed the way they manage the minibar restocking which is a bit of a pain. You can still have pretty much what you want but have to order restocks and be in the room to accept delivery. We don't use the minibar other than for water as we prefer to drink in the bars but it seems a bit daft to have to reorder water supplies.
All three of the restaurants are waiter service (we don't much like buffet restaurants) and the food and service was superb. It's really convenient to have a restaurant (Bella Vista) that you don't have to book, is yards from the ocean, offers waiter service and serves more than simply fast food. Casanova's is a real treat and Palazinna's a good halfway house.
We used the Au Naturel facilities and beach every day and they're perfect for us. If you haven't tried it before, give it a go. It is truly liberating and you meet the friendliest people ever. The ocean is a bit shallow and rocky so not perfect for swimming but you can find plenty of space for a refreshing dip. It's also fun to float about on the sunbed cushions and we even tried a bit of "white water rafting" on these where the river joins the sea. Around 5/6pm lots of people come over from the other beach to watch the sunset. Nobody seemed particularly bothered about whether people were wearing clothes or not! We didn't use the main beach at all but it looked a bit congested to us(much more space on the Au Naturel beach) and Couples really needs to do something about people saving beds at unearthly hours of the morning.
The grounds of the hotel are kept very well and it's nice to have sufficient space to go for a nice walk around the lake in the mornings. The wildlife is fascinating and we loved feeding the turtles/terrapins(?) and watching the pelicans crash landing in the water.
The bars and entertainment are excellent. The main beach bar is right on the ocean and is circular with lots of bar stools. A great place to meet people over a drink (Tower Isle please note!). The main bar (Balloon Bar) is also a pleasant place to enjoy a drink while watching the wonderful singers and bands. As a european, it's great to go to an all inclusive resort where you can enjoy whatever drinks you want without paying any kind of premium. The house wine is also fairly drinkable which is a good thing because the premium wines are horrifically expensive ($77 for a bottle of Pouilly Fume!).
They run gala nights twice a week, one on the beach and one on the main lawn. These are expertly organised and they make the place look great. These provide the best opportunity for meeting people as you simply join tables of 6 or 8. No other dining facilities are available on these nights other than room service. The entertainment provided on these evenings is first class. Don't miss the Silverbirds Steel Band. My only slight criticisms are that the lighting level is too low to see what you're eating and you have to wander about a bit to see what lovely food is on offer. They hold after parties after these nights at the Sunset Beach bar which are a bit hit and miss. Sometimes they're great fun and very lively, other times nobody goes. It's not really a late night resort with most people preferring to get to bed early enough to enjoy the next day's sunshine.
However, Sans Souci's greatest asset is undoubtedly it's people. Without exception, every one of the staff that we came into contact with, were brilliant - friendly, happy, eager to serve without being over the top and really nice people. It's always difficult to single people out as it pretty much depends on where you spend most of your time. For us, Taneisha, SaskieAnn, Caprice, Kadian and Camoy from the Au Naturel beach bar made our holiday. The entertainment staff are also fantastic. I doubt if there is a man who has visited Sans Souci who won't remember Linguini and Spaghetti with a special fondness!
The weather wasn't good for our first three days (overcast, raining and not even that warm). This meant we spent a lot of time in the bar meeting folk that we probably wouldn't have met until later had the sun been shining. British people are often reluctant to go to resorts that are predominantly American/Canadian as their reputation precedes them. Let me tell you, the people that go to Sans Souci are not stereotypical (unlike some of the people we've come across at Tower Isle). We made some great friends from all over the States and can't wait to see them all again next year. After the first three days the weather was wonderful.
We experienced an irritating 4 hour flight delay on the way home but Couples did what they could to let us have our room a bit later. Montego Bay airport's over the top security did it's best to put a dampener on the holiday. After having gone through all the usual security checks, We were searched again after going through the departure gate en route to the plane! They even made us open up all the neatly packaged boxes we had just purchased in their own duty free shops! I think next year, we'll simply buy our duty free on the plane. Oh, and don't forget, they charge you $22 dollars each to leave the country.
In summary, a brilliant holiday in a great hotel. Whatever Couples are doing with their staff, keep doing it, they're all lovely people and we look forward to seeing them all again next year (as we do our new American & Canadian friends!)

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (947)
Moncton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

simply the best.... better than all the rest....well... this is our 7th trip south and we give this resort the best yet....
Well start with the positives.... services... best I have ever seen....nothing perfect... but all servers give 100% effort and always with a smile. Food is excellent....drinks are great....beware of the "bob marley"...very strong. Rooms are big enough...drinks in the fridge...always stocked.There is nothing I can complain about.....
My only issues....weather...lol....nothing the resort can do without.Maybe... if you are a beach walker...the beach is small.... a lot of stairs as well....but saying that completely no issues.

Have to say "Dominique Wright" are the beach bar....PERFECT services ... quick...and very down to earth with everyone.Made our stay that much better.

Would go back again.... for sure....I like to look to all different areas.... but Couples Barbados sounds really good for next year.

Room Tip: a-24.... we were in a-25...but i can see a -24 to be that much better.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Rhode Island
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

We stayed a week in March and had an excellent vacation. Here are a few salient points.
1. The drive to the hotel takes about 1and 3/4 Hours. The driving is a bit hairy but try and relax and take a look at the sights.
2. The resort was overbooked so we were accommodated in Tower Isle for a night. A little inconvenient but we got to see the sister resort, which has been recently refurbished and is more like a traditional/art nouveau hotel. I think overbooking is not unusual so be prepared. We were upgraded at the Sans Souci, had our dinner reservations made for us and were offered a free night on the next visit.
3. We had a room in A block. It was spacious and clean. The bathroom was large although a little dated with a whirlpool bath. There are a few tiny ants in the bathroom but I think that may be the price to pay by being 150 ft from the ocean. Gilcrest and Soames toiletries. Mini bar will be filled with your choices if you fill out the slip.
4. Resort smallish with lots of nooks and crannies. Lot's of steps!!! Private small beach. My idea of a perfect caribbean resort.
5. Staff - Very friendly and genuine. Although you need to set your watch for Jamaican time. This means that drinks sometimes take a while to arrive but they do arrive.
6. Food - Good but not cordon bleu. In fact dinner seemed to be the least satisfactory. Breakfast is buffet style plus wait staff with excellent omelets. Lunch can be in several locations. We chose the buffet and found it to be excellent, and the work experience wait staff were excellent sometimes more solicitous than the permanent staff. The wait staff were excellent all through the vacation. The quality of the dinner was a little disappointing not really bad but not really good either. There are many courses, often too much after a long day!! On one night I had Duck with cherries which was not well cooked plus the cherries seemed to be glace cherries-very 1970's! Another night I had lamb which was cooked well but had Crosse and Blackwell type mint jelly on the plate. So don't expect a gourmet meal.
7. Alcohol. We are not big drinkers but enjoyed the cocktails (which are not strong) and the wine. Glasses of wine are offered that seemed fine as was the sparking wine which was erroneously referred to as champagne. I only saw on person really drunk in the whole week. So if you want to party hard this is not the place to visit.
7 Evening Grand Buffets are held twice weekly. They are not my favourite thing as they seem to be a lot of effort for mediocre food and long lines. However most people seemed to enjoy them. The beach buffet on a Tuesday night is more low key. However the entertainment staff put on some sort of fashion show pushing the Couples Shop. It made me feel a bit uncomfortable as the women were paraded around a bit like in Miss World plus none of the guests would look half as good as the staff look in the clothes.
6. Activities - varied took a few tennis lessons and the water sports guys and entertainment staff are great.

I really enjoyed my vacation here and plan to return. Sans Souci is not cookie cutter and that's why I like it. The grounds are beautiful, the facilities extensive and the staff are excellent.

Room Tip: Try the Jamican Patties. Splurge on a massage.
essex
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

We have just returned from san souci our second time here and we cant understand the negative comments some people write,We had a wonderful time the staff went out of there way to make our anniversary special,the food,rooms grounds etc were perfect we hope to return again soon.
We even had the same room we had in 2011.Cannot fault the hotel.
Im sure some people just go away to find something to complain about.

Room Tip: room g9 is big good sea views large balcony with a day bed
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

My husband and I spent our 10 year anniversary at this resort 2 yrs. ago (late on writing my review). Nothing compares to the wonderful service, nights singing in the Parachute bar, dinners at the French restaurant, soaking in the mineral pool and experiencing the grotto. We loved the beach cookout and gala. We enjoyed a couples massage and mineral salt scrub overlooking the ocean in a quaint gazebo. The staff was incredible! Thanks Dalton and the hotel staff for making our experience amazing. Recommended excursions: Dunn's River Falls and White River tubing. We hired a private driver for the day to explore Ocho Rios and spent a day at a school.

This is a small resort, quiet and retreat -like. Accommodated us with many special requests!!
Fantastic! Already been back to Jamaica since and nothing has compared to Couples Sans Souci.

Room Tip: Upgrade to a one bedroom ocean suite!
Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

A little background. I probably read the last 1000 reviews, watched all the you tube videos, and followed the forum at the Couples website. We were a couple in our mid-forties celebrating our 20th anniversary. There have been a lot of great reviews that you can read through, including some very informative ones that I just read that were posted while we were gone. Based on my research, I knew pretty much what to expect with rooms, facilities, food, etc. I can honestly say that what I wasn't prepared for is the level of desire of the staff to be of service in any way possible. Any and every question or concern was answered with "Ya Mon, no problem Mon" and it would get taken care of ASAP. (well, island time ASAP anyway) I just want to add a little bit of info in this review that you may not get in the others.......kind of some things I was really searching for.

First, scuba diving isn't mentioned much. This free service is part of the reason I chose this resort. It was a bucket list thing that I had always wanted to pursue as I have always loved snorkeling. I actually got officially certified the day before we left for Jamaica. I am glad I had it all taken care of ahead of time, so I wasn't wasting time on this while on an anniversary trip. If already certified, you simply go to the sports shack and fill out a couple of minutes of paperwork and sign up for the dives you want for the week. I didn't bring any equipment with me. They have it all covered if you need it. The BCD's are all in great shape, but do not have an integrated weight system, so you have to wear a weight belt. No big deal, but I had not done it before. Another thing that was different for me was the entry method. In my training we simply stepped in off of a pontoon. On the boat, you do a back roll in. No big deal either, just different than I had ever done. Due to weather and the Dunn's River Falls trip, I was only able to get out Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday at 9am each day. When I was there, they also did an 11am dive. Unfortunately, some weather moved in for Thursday and Friday so the dives were canceled. The dive masters (Leon and Nick for my three dives) were very good with taking care of us. Nick is pretty crazy, (in a good way though) but he makes sure you are safe. Leon is mare reserved, but again does a great job of keeping the group together and makes sure everyone is doing fine. The prices for getting certified are really not bad at all. It was $20 CHEAPER than what I paid here in Vegas. It would take a pretty good chunk of two of your days for that though. Nice place to get certified compared to some lake in the States though.

Didn't see a lot about the ages of the folks that frequent this resort. This will obviously change slightly week to week, but there are so many repeaters at this resort, probably less fluctuation than others. (there were over 100 at the repeaters dinner and I am guessing some repeaters didn't show up) For our week I would say the average was late 40's with a mix of probably 5 couples that were in their 20's and celebrating their honeymoon all the way up to folks near 80. There were couples that had been there 25 times. HUGE amount of Canadians when we were there. I never ran into one rude person. There was a large group that partied by the pool each day, but they were all very nice. One of them even went out and got $100+ of KFC and brought it back for the staff.

Segway from KFC to tipping. I also liked the no tipping policy when choosing this resort as I thought it would be nice to check in and put the wallet in the safe. I did. However, and I know that some "regulars" may not like this, by the end of the week I had gotten such amazing service from several of the employees that I had to do something for them. The simple truth of the matter is that no tips are ever exchanged in the open, at least that I saw. There are, however, a lot of "handshakes"...... wink wink. As mentioned in my title, I plan to re-visit and I will plan on a little extra for those that go WAY above and beyond to make my vacation special. If you don't feel the service is good, then don't tip them. Even if I choose to on my next visit, you can put your wallet away for the week and then just take care of a few of your favorites on your last day.

If you like to party "Bob Marley Style"...........you will have no problems. I didn't personally, but if that is up your alley, you will have no issues.....a lot of interesting odors protruding from the jungle.

You will NOT like this resort if you need the following:
1. A modern room with marble and granite. I was in room G16 and when I go back, I would request the EXACT SAME ROOM. It isn't brand new, but it was huge with a huge balcony and a view that is absolutely amazing. (3rd floor, middle of the building) It was spotless, and everything worked. Your really need to make your choice ahead of time. A and B for convenience to the beach, or G for the view. We were in the Ocean view one bedroom category. It is quiet all day, but if you go to bed at 9pm, it may be bad as you will probably hear the noise from the nightly entertainment at the balloon bar until around 11pm or so.

2. You are a type A personality that needs a watch on at all times and needs everything done on a precise schedule. It is island time all over the place. I was totally OK with it other than an issue I had with our private dinner that was a surprise for my wife. If you are spending $170 for a meal, it should be on time and set up when you arrive, especially if you had been clear for months that it was a 20th anniversary surprise. The management did a great job taking care of me even though I told them I didn't need anything. Even with the issues I had, I would totally recommend that dinner. We spent three hours in the wedding gazebo listening to the waves come in. It really was a special night.

Overall, a great trip. I have traveled to a lot of places and have never returned to any of them. This is one that I plan to return to. They have a pretty good program in place for returners (Romance rewards......you should sign up and pre-register before your first visit) and it has some things that will be bringing us back:

1. No children.......how many times have you been sitting around the pool for the afternoon only to hear "Marco"......."Polo".......the whole time?

2. Everybody speaks English.

3. The grounds are immaculate.

4. The amount of free things included. You can do as much or as little as you feel like that week, but if you choose to waterski, wakeboard, peddle boat, hobie cat, wind surf, paddle board, SCUBA, golf, go to Dunn's river falls, snorkel, go on glass bottom boats, etc, etc, etc, it is included. An amazing deal.

5. Most importantly, the staff have as much fun as you and truly seem to value the fact that you chose this resort. It is not the "stuffy" type of service that those of you that stay at a bunch of American 5 star resorts may be thinking. It is a totally laid back vibe from the moment you walk in the front door until the moment you leave. It's Jamaica Mon. And I love the style of service.

Quick note on beach chairs. At least for our week, there was an AMAZING......needs to be stated twice.....AMAZING amount of chair saving. Never seen it to this degree before. Maybe just this particular mix of people? The first morning, we were down there at 10am and the only available chairs were on the very end of the beach PAST the sports shack. No shade, and no floatie. However, there were WAY over half of the chairs that didn't have a body. From there on out, we were down there at 8:30 to find about 90% empty but with a towel and book or something on it. Most of the days even at 8:30, we could only get shade if we sat at the pool and even then, most days I had to kind of arrange my own set up by piecing things together. The folks in the A and B blocks are very close to all of that and must just wander out and put something on the seat at 7am or something. So, another downfall of the G block would be that if you want to save chairs like everyone else, you will have to traverse 150 stairs down and 150 back up at 7am.

Just read the other reviews. There are a small handful that will never be happy, but when approx. 90% of the 1700 plus reviewers rate it "very good" or "excellent", they simply can't be all wrong.......and they AREN'T! ha ha Enjoy your stay wherever you end up.

Room Tip: A and B for convenience of the beach and pool, G for more of a "private" feel with a great...
leopoldsburg
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

First of all : English is not our native language, so there might be some "strange" words and weird constructions of sentences in this review.

Of all the great things we experienced at CSS, what did we like the most ?
* The huge and very clean room with two bathrooms and a spectacular view (Evergreen 08)
* The breakfast with a great choice of dishes and the excellent service and this always with a big smile : the ideal way to start a new day in paradise (thank you Simone,Milton,Vanya, Courtney,Shanae...)
* The à la carte restaurants (especially the Casanova and chef André)
* The privat dinner at the wedding gazebo (worth the extra 170 USD) (thank you Alexei and chef Akeema
* The guys from the watersports : can you take us sailing or waterskiing ? No problem man !
Thank you Maurice,Darren, Amalachi...
The poolbar and beachbars with their bartenders Tiger Tony, Taneisha,Capprice,Saskiann, Djaneal... who were always singing, dancing, shaking and making great drinks. Something special, no problem man, we'll get it for you.
* The twin towers Spagetti and Linguini and all the rest of the personel :always happy, yaman !
* Roomservice (fresh fruit and champagne ! )
*The sax-player at sunset, a very romantic end of the day...

What do you have to do when you arrive at CSS : make as soon of possible your reservations for dinner, massage, private dinner, spa
Take your time to explore the resort, there are lots of beautifull spots and secluded places to have a nice and private time with the one you love.
That's what CSS is all about and that's why couples that love each other have to go there !
Would we go again ? Yaman !

Room Tip: The D and E block are nearby the lobby, great oceanview with fauna and flora
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Couples Sans Souci? Share your experiences!