“Could Not Ask For More” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Couples Sans Souci

Save Saved
You added Couples Sans Souci to your Saves list
Couples Sans Souci
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Route A3, St-Mary | PO Box 103, Ocho Rios, Jamaica   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #4 of 39 hotels in Ocho Rios
Rockford, Il
“Could Not Ask For More”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

My wife and I stayed at CSS 1/20-1/27. While we have stayed at Couples (now Couples Tower Isle) several times in the 80’s, this was our first time to a Couples Resort since then. It really was like coming home, beginning with the Couples lounge at the airport. As other reviewers have noted, CSS is scattered over more than 37 acres with a variety of buildings and settings. It reminded us a lot of the Mediterranean. It probably also resembles traditional Jamaica rather than transplanted resorts from elsewhere. No seven miles of beach, but a couple of coves with beaches nestled in between cliffs. An advantage is staying at a resort with plenty of lush vegetation and lots of space to be by yourself, if you so desire. We enjoyed the hot tub near the fresh fruit bar and spa. There are a lot of steps. CSS will provide a van from the upper level to the beach if desired. We stayed in G block which is on the upper level. Our suite was spacious (as in huge) with a gorgeous view of the beach from our verandah. It also had two flat screens and two sets of air conditioning controls. We enjoyed a wonderful breakfast on the verandah. The refrigerator was well stocked, including Red Stripe and promptly restocked as requested. You might want to bring a night light for the bathroom as the light switch is on the outside of the bathroom. This causes a lot of the light in the bedroom when the switch is turned on at night. We saw no signs of insects. The room is a bit dated, but management announced they will be doing a lot of sprucing up this summer, as the economy has improved. They will not be adding any more rooms. Free wifi was available wherever we needed it. The “textile” beach was fine. No need for water shoes. It is shallow so if major league swimming is important then another resort may be in order. We had no problem finding beach chairs. The bars were well stocked with “call liquor”. The staff is amazing! We could not have asked for more, wherever we went. We really enjoyed the food; with the Casanova being a bit better than the Belle Vista; but why quibble. We will definitely come home again.

2,347 people have reviewed this hotel

2022
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (738)
Berkhamsted, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

We had spent 8 marvellous nights in the Blue Mountains and this was a step back into today's real world. Amazing food - loved all the restaurants; and friendly staff. Lots of steps and hidden places. Great bedroom and excellent wifi. We especially enjoyed the Tuesday night beach party where all guests eat together from a buffet on the beach and excellent diverse entertainment is provided - a really good night.
We were unlucky to hit a rainy, stormy period so most of the watersports were unavailable.
We did, however, have 2 days playing 18 holes of golf - wonderful course, great caddies, good clubs and excellent fun.
This is a good resort with excellent facilities and amazing food.

Room Tip: We asked for a quiet room and were located in the G block. It was quiet but lots of walking down an...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Okarche, Oklahoma
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

To date, out of all the destinations my wife and I have visited in our three years of marriage, Ocho Rios Jamaica is by far our favorite destination. One of the reasons we loved Jamaica so much is due to the quality of the beaches and the water itself.

To us what set Jamaica apart was three main things:
First, the clarity of the water was amazing.
Second, the calmness of the water was something that we had not experienced at any other beach destinations we have visited. After being on the island for a few days we asked one of the locals why the water was always so calm….. For those of you who do not already know the answer, here it is. The entire island of Jamaica is surrounded by a barrier reef, which in addition to providing some great diving and snorkeling opportunities, also serves as a breaking point for the waves several yards away from shore. This break, helps to create the amazingly calm water and pristine beaches that can be found all across Jamaica.

Third, You may be saying to yourself, “This all sounds great but I have heard that Jamaica is dangerous and even if I do decide to visit, where should I stay?
During our week in Jamaica we stayed at the Couples Sans Souci all inclusive resort located in Ocho Rios, Jamaica. This hotel is a bit off the beaten path, about a two hour bus ride from the Montego Bay airport, however it is worth it! First I will start with the negative. Some may consider the two hour bus ride to the hotel to be a drawback, especially after you have probably just experienced a long plane ride to reach Jamaica in the first place. I can understand this and to be honest I was a little leery of this myself before we departed from our home in Oklahoma Don’t let this bother you!! The shuttle bus that we arranged through the resort was very clean, comfortable and we felt very safe. In addition, about half way through the trip we stopped at a small local restaurant where we drank Red Stripe and ate Jamaican meat pies. At the first mention of a “Jamaican Meat Pie” I was more than a little hesitant to actually eat this food, however I must admit this is one of the best things about Jamaica! These things are awesome. As we came to find out later in our trip, these are a local favorite and served all over the island.

Upon arrival at the resort we were promptly greeted with cold drinks and soon were take to our room. Upon first glance, the only negative we saw was that the resort itself and the rooms looked to be slightly outdated and could use some updated furnishings, paint and similar items. This being said, these items really did nothing to influence the quality of our trip. The rooms were clean, very spacious and our particular room had a huge deck with a small table and several chairs to lounge in while staring out at the sea.
The natural beauty of the island takes over after a very short time and any updates that may be needed to the furnishings or resort itself are quickly forgotten. The entire hotel staff was not only attentive to our requests or any needs that we had during our stay but they were also a lot of fun! we have stayed at some resorts where the games, nightly entertainment, etc. were anything but entertaining however this was not one of them. The staff at the hotel always seemed to work extremely hard to make sure that all of the guests are happy, whether that is lounging by the pool with a drink or playing an organized game with hotel staff and other guests. The staff alone, at Couples Sans Souci would be reason enough for my wife and I too return. The nightly shows were very entertaining and included everything from a marching band too a small event one night in the main bar with a piano player. I would like to mention that this small event with the piano player was one of the best events of the entire week. He would take requests and knew every song that he was asked to play. He also encourage audience participation and allowed many guests to come sit on the piano bench with him while he played their song.

If you plan on visiting Ocho Rios in the future, or any part of the island, I would highly recommend staying at one of the couples resorts located on the island. I believe there are four total resorts.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Spring Lake, MI USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

First arriving in Montego Bay airport there was a welcome center for Couples resorts. You can start by having a cold Red Stripe. They will lead you to the bus that's takes you to the resort. We arranged for private transport. Someone was waiting for us....we did not have a wait at all. The drive to Sans Souci was 1.5 -2 hours. Arriving at the resort we went right to our room after check in. The rooms are in need of updating but it did not decrease the enjoyment of our stay. Everything was in working order and comfortable. We stayed in the B building on the ground floor. This building was the best for couples that may have difficulty getting up and down hills or steps. The beaches, pools and most of the bars and restaurants are on this level. To get to the lobby, media center, Casa Nova restaurant and the ballon bar you have quite a hike up a lot of steps. The fitness center and spa are also accessed by several sets of steps. For my husband and I it was no big deal. We enjoyed all of the stairways and paths.....beautiful scenery and landscape. The food was by far the best in the Caribbean we have experienced. Our favorite lunch was at the Bella Vista on the beach....great jerk chicken, salads, burgers and pizzas. We enjoyed every supper, but it was very special to have our private dinner on one of the gazebos....so romantic. We never had a problem getting a chair at the pool or beach. We did not use the au natural beach which is on the other side of the resort. It is completely separate from the other pools and beach. The most excursions were included. We did Dunn's River Falls...it was beautiful. Again, if you have small children or are elderly and have trouble climbing or with balance use caution. You can snorkel and several other things right from the resort. We did not go shopping outside of the resort. We did shop at the resort shop which had a nice selection of toiletries and gifts downstairs. The staff is extraordinary! From the waiters, bartenders, grounds keepers....all so friendly! I would recommend this resort to anyone who does not have trouble getting up and down steps. Our favorite beach vacation we have taken by far. Every staff member went above and beyond. Could use a some renovations but not in bad shape. Beds were comfortable and rooms are air-conditioned.

Room Tip: A and B block are in the most used areas of the resorts. The other areas are accessed by steps. Ne...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
CSS_Operations_Mgr, Manager at Couples Sans Souci, responded to this review, February 13, 2013
Thank you for the wonderful review, it's extremely gratifying to hear that all of the hard work of the resort's team made such a positive impression. We'll continue to strive to deliver the best possible service and have several projects planned for some improvements this summer. We look forward to seeing you again at your new favorite beach resort!
Kitchener, Ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

We had such a good time at CSS and it was mainly because of the Staff! We have been to several resorts in the Caribbean but we keep coming back to Jamaica! Yes the resort does have those stairs to climb but after eating the fantastic food and those fabiulous drinks it worked out well for us!! We stayed in the B Block, ground level walkout which was right where everything was that was on our Wish List. Now we must let the management know who we thought excelled at their job. Dehalo (what can we say) you are an amazing young man, Leightonette, all we can say is WOW, what a fantastic young lady, Peter, and Kadian, Andrew, and Vanya at breakfast who always called us each by name & Edgar (The Best Omelete Guy in Jamaica) & Kevin Clarke (Remember us as the Zip It ladies, haha) and of course Delroy who went to the bar when I needed Red Stripe LIght (With Ice Cubes, I know, don't laugh at me, I like it that way). Thanks to Okine and Tanesia for getting us what we needed for our late check out! Hi Una, You're The Best! We appreciated meeting YOU! Also, I just love the gift I won at the Gala! We also can't forget Crackers, The Parrot! This was our 2nd visit to a Couples and we will be back! Cheers,
Lori & Stew, Terry Lynn & Wally

Room Tip: B Block rooms are fantastic. Beach and Main Pool and Beach Bar are all right there. From our Room...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Pickerington, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

This was our first trip to Jamaica and it was amazing! The staff went above and beyond to make it perfect! We stayed in E Block penthouse (E10) great view,great music from the Balloon Bar and nice balcony. I had forgotten my hairbrush and the gift shop was closed for inventory when we arrived and Kevin (bellman) called down to the gift shop and they opened it for me get a hairbrush! That just amazed me! the level of attention and care of the staff was world-class!!! Every person on the staff had a smile on thier face and a song to share...we will most definitely be returning!! (yes, there are alot of steps at this resort BUT that added to the experience...none of the paths were difficult and always led to something just a beautiful as the path before!)

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

I stayed the same time as the "Calgon, Take Me Away" and it leads me to believe that some people must really enjoy NOT enjoying places. Change our tablecloth? Wipe the desk? Honestly, our experience was absolutely wonderful, impeccably clean (and I'm quite picky!), breathtaking and we felt very catered to. Yes, there are portions of the resort that you have to climb stairs, but there are also portions that you do not. I actually loved staying in the B Block where we had to meander through the ancient steps of breathtaking views, stone mazes, walls of greenery and the abundance of tropical nature that kept us company as we did so (not to mention the work-out opportunity to burn off all that wonderful food!). I even voiced to my husband that I felt bad for the people staying by the beach as they didn't get to experience this every day as we did! I can see if you had bad knees that the beach rooms would work better, so just specify this request. The people there worked so hard at pleasing us, I can't believe there are vacationers out there who don't recognize the staff's efforts. This resort has more employees than guests on a daily basis. It was a wonderful stay and we not only made the best memories with the people we were with, but also some fabulous memories with the staff at the resort. 5++ stars and if anyone were to give it lower than that, I would think that they'd have experienced an isolated incident that wasn't normal to their standards or they are complete snobs looking to be doted upon every second. Perhaps their favourite past-time is knit-picking the smallest of details so that they can feel superior. Sans Souci is a paradise. And while you were staring at the spec of dirt on your gleaming, white tablecloth, we were too busy enjoying the beautiful sunrise along the beach as the white curtains hanging around the breakfast buffet danced around us in the warm, humid breeze. Too bad you missed it. PS) the food ROCKS!!

Room Tip: If you're energetic and fun, choose the B Block so you enjoy the stair climbs and greenery. Just...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for taking the time to review Couples Sans Souci - your support is very much appreciated. I should point out that I think the room block you described is actually the Dahlia (D block) - we're glad that you enjoyed it. Hopefully we'll have an opportunity to host you again in the future.

Nicholas Lynch

Been to Couples Sans Souci? Share your experiences!