“horrible expience” 2 of 5 stars

Save Saved
You added Village Hotel to your Saves list
Village Hotel
Village Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   54-56 Main St. | Ocho Rios , St. Ann Jamaica, Ocho Rios, Jamaica   |
Ranked #22 of 39 hotels in Ocho Rios
Kitchener, Canada
“horrible expience”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Village Hotel in Ocho Rios from Oct. 19 - Oct. 28 2012. I found this hotel on a legitimate website and it is representing Jamaicain tourism.
The entire time we were there nobody ever cleaned out or treated the pool. The one day we wanted to go for a swim my boyfriend had to clean out the pool himself.
There was also repairs being done on the roof that we weren't informed of beforehand. We were woken up in the morning to pounding over our heads and little pieces of woods actually falling on our heads. We had to go and ask to be moved to a room away from the construction.
Now to the main point of my complaint. I understand that no one could have known that a Hurricane would have occured during my visit. But the Village Hotel was totally unprepared for this situation. We lost power during the afternnoon of Wednesday Oct.24. The hotel had no backup generator so the entire place was in darkness when nightfall arrived. There wasn't even any emergency lighting in the hallways. At 9pm we were given one candle because thats all they had. We were staying in a rooom with a kitchenette and on Thursday had to throw away all of our food because the fridge had been without power for one day at this point.Power was restored on Friday but up to when I left on Sunday there still wasn't any hot water in the room.
On a couple different occasions my boyfriend went to the front desk asking to speak to someone about getting some kind of compensation for our lost money spent on spoiled food and to make up for our general discomfort. He was consistantly told that there was no one on site to deal with our issues.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

40 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Miami Beach, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

My stay at this hotel was great. Staff was very friendly. Jamaican breakfast was just lovely. Ackee and saltfish with plantains..'superb... Hotel is in the heart of the town so it was very easy to get around time.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

Disgusting cockroach and other bugs infested place. We got to the hotel late, the security gaurd was the one who checked us inand couldnt find our reservatons. He had to call the receptionist at home to find the reservations. no breakfast the next morning znd the cook was very rude. We had to go on the street to get breakfast. The room wasnt cleaned the first day we had to ask for it to be cleaned and there was no fresh towels available. the place was very musky and the walk to the room with our suitcases was a long and windind one. Wouldnt recommend it if it was the last one. I had to check my clothes to make sure no bugs or roaches were in them. I had to call front desk to turn up the water pressure and hot water, the only good thing was the AC

Room Tip: Choose another hotel
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
New York, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2012

I stayed at this humble quiet and beauitful hotel booked in for 2 days. The experience left me with an anticipation of wanted to go back really quick. The place was clean, staffs warm and welcome, especially frontdesk receptionist (Marsha). Breakfast was great. If you need a quiet moment in Ocho Rios,after a day out of fun, I recommend this Village. In the heart of downtown Ocho Rios. Clean pool etc. If you love the beach then this is not for you, its not a beach property and not much for children to do.

The only problem I have was the music playing at Margaritaville, all night next to my room. If you don't mind then it is ok.

Room Tip: Rooms south side r quieter, A/C was good, warm water for shower was great.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
cayman islands
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2011

all i have to say is that there were multiple bugs in my bed including pillow and pillow cases. (scary) We were moved to another room which no obvious bugs were seen but it was so gloomy and dirty especially the bathroom.

they also have this weird rule that if persons of the same sex are travelling you have to book a room with separate beds (more expensive) because the owner does not want people of the same sex sleeping in the same bed!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
villagehoteljamaica, Manager at Village Hotel, responded to this review, June 13, 2011
Dear Valued Guest,

After reviewing our comments on trip advisor I found your comment to be of great concern to our property. I do appologize for the inconveniences you have encountered and as the new Manager of the property I will ensure that such situations will never happen again. I will not question your comments but instead try to move forward on a positive note. Thanks for visiting and I hope to see you in the near future. We are trying to make as many changes to the property in order to facilitate you and other prospective guest.
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2011

I recently went to Ocho Rios on a business trip, my colleagues and I stayed at Village Hotel.It is a great bed and breakfast to stay.we had breakfast on the upper deck at exactly 7:30 each morning, so we could get to our meeting at 8:00. We spent five days and we had the Jamaican breakfast every morning, the food was excellent , (we didn't get any ackee though, the waitor told us it's not ackee season).

The rooms we nicely decor, I had a little kitchenette in my room with refrigerator and all.
I would recommend this hotel to everyone.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
Burrington, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2011

My third time in Ocho Rios Jamaica third time staying at Village Hotel.
The Hotel was very well kept, wonderful staff,great food. If you want Jamaican ambiance this is the place to go. VILLAGE HOTEL.

• Stayed February 2011

Been to Village Hotel? Share your experiences!