“Got our stuff stolen!” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #18 of 40 Hotels in Ocho Rios
Los Angeles, California
“Got our stuff stolen!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

It was a disaster... Things got stolen from our room while we were sleeping... That was v scarry...Management didnt do anything to help. Absolutely stay away from the place. While the location and view was good from the room, the hotel rooms were spacious but there no amenities provided in the rooms like basic soap, shampoo etc. For most part of our stay there was no hot water.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012 via mobile

This property is ideally located in the center of Ocho Rios just off Main Street. Just a few blocks from newer and more expensive hotels eg. Jamaica Grande and Rooms. At the height of season I paid $85 when Rooms was charging $144. My boyfrirnd described the surrounding area as rough, However it was good because you could walk to several grocery stores and get cheap rum
And beer . Also cheap food and low cost taxis are pleantiful. We had no issues but your taking a chance getting into a unknown taxi. The property has several positives. The location is great, the rooms are huge and appear clean. The view is amazing. I had a first floor unit and it was almost like I could reach out and touch the water. The AC was ice cold and the water was hot. The customer service was mostly good. The front desk people were knowledgable and helpful. The property has a rustic feel, but the rooms are fairly basic. The negatives can be easily fixed. The beds were not comfortable and the pillows were flat. There is wi fi only in the lobby. I would happily pay for wi fi to have it in my room. There are no phones in the room. Which means every time you want to ask a question you have to walk out to the lobby. If you want to call a cab or make restaurant reservation ect. you can buy a phone card and you can use the lobby phone. Makes no sense and is inconvenient. If your going to be in Jamaica for more than a few days i would buy a cell phone or bring a "jail break" Phone with You. I saw phones at DigiCell which is across the street for $25 US dollars. They could also rent phones like they do in Negril. There is no remote for the TV. Which is just annoying. There is no ice machine. Also annoying. The comforter smells musty. When the housekeepers where doing laundry I only saw the flat and fitted cream sheets in the laundry bag. I honestly don't think they wash the comforter between guests. There is a musty odor when you open the drawers. At night there is one unarmed security in front a closed glass door. There is no refrigerator, microwave or coffee maker. Basic stuff that you would see at most 2 star motels. The beach is ok, I saw some of the more well known hotels snorkeling in front of this hotel. If there were no better available options I would go back. Otherwise I would try somewhere else.

• Stayed December 2012
USA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

That being said, she is over the hill. I first came to this hotel in 1965 with my parents and their friends. I have loved it ever since. I have stayed here many times, later with my husband, and still later with friends.

We were here two weeks ago for our friend' 25th wedding anniversary. We stayed here the first time when we got them married up at Shaw Park Garden.

It is so sad, the hotel is not a shadow of its' former self. The bar was even closed. We did manage to get a very good Jamaican breakfast the second day by asking the cook the night before, as it is not on the menu.

No hot water on Saturday night, so could not wash hair for going out. Pretty worn rooms and furnishings. The staff is wonderful. They will try to help where ever they can. I went down to the "beach" one morning and swam. I was the only person I saw the entire time in the ocean.

In the "day" the sand was raked every morning, there was bar service on the beach and even a water sports kiosk! You would never guess that now.

I restore old buildings-this could still be salvaged, but it will cost a fortune and require a dedicated knowledgeable person with incredible stamina!!

I am glad to see that someone is responding to review postings. That is a step in the right direction for management.

As I said, I love this hotel.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

If you want to spend some nights in ochio rios, this place is the one! Right in the middle of the town, close to shops and restaurant. Staff friendly, large rooms, ac, hot shower, swimming pool and a breathtaking view of the ocean. Price are not expensive, breakfast is not included but there are several small place around where you can have breakfast! I really recommend it, i'm against all those new resorts that make you feel like in any other place of the world...at the silver seas you feel jamaica and that's is the most important thing to me!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

This is a quaint place to visit. It grows on you. It has a great view and was the place to be back in the day. It needs a bit of care, ground maintenance and some updating in the rooms. New beds and bedding. Food is not readily available on site. Its a short walk to everything you could possibly need. Staff is great, friendly and have been there for years. Its my second stay there and Its never crowded. All in all not bad for the money.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Oshkosh, Wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

Breathtaking view walking into lobby. Rooms also have same view from patio. LOVE IT! Limited hours for on site eating. We arrived around 8 PM and NO FOOD! BUT later in the week we discovered Jack Ruby Restaurant -- within walking distance and they even deliver right to our room. No more motel food for us. You can walk - go right outside of front entrance and follow James ave around corner to Jack Ruby Plaza. Great Jamaican breakfast, lunch and dinner and they are open late :)

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
aimeer, Public Relations Manager at Silver Seas Resort Hotel, responded to this review, September 11, 2012
Dear Guests,

We are delighted that you enjoyed the “Best View on the Island” from your patio and the lobby. We are also glad you discovered a favorite local restaurant just around the corner and experienced and enjoyed true Jamaican cuisine. When occupancy is low, the restaurant may close early but usually check with guests or the front desk. Your review was discussed with the staff and they apologize and will be more attentive in the future as they sincerely enjoy pleasing guests and would love to arrange a special moonlight dinner for you on the pier or patio when you return. Thank you for staying with us and for your candid review.

The Hotel Management
Mars, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

Hello:
I am a travel agent an recently we stayed at this hotel in Aug. The hotel is not a bad place it just needs some minor improvements such as maybe some new bedding for the beds pillows an such. The staff is very helpful an freindly an the maid service was outstanding! So if you are interested in staying at a 2 star hotel with a great room 206 with beautiful breathtaking views for a budget price then this is the place for you. Do not think of room service because this is not the place again very low key.. But the walk into downtown Ocho with all the local resturants an bars is well worth it! GO explore! The best times are when you least expect things an believe me we did have a good time at this hotel.. Yes I would recommend it to clients but only the second floor rooms..

Room Tip: ROOM 206 or only upstair rooms no street level floors
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
aimeer, Public Relations Manager at Silver Seas Resort Hotel, responded to this review, September 10, 2012
Dear Guests,

We appreciate that you have taken the time to share your experience with us. We are pleased that you found the "terrace view awesome" and we are sincerely sorry that you experienced maintenance and logistic difficulties during your stay. The Front Desk and most staff members could have let you know that almost all Ocho Rios night life is within walking distance from Silver Seas--the roof top club is within one block... local Jamaican clubs and night life are within 2 blocks on James Avenue...the local casino and the nightlife on the cruise ship pier is a longer walk through town. Silver Seas is very centrally located and there are also many restaurants of most ethnic varieties (Chinese, Jamaican, Indian, Mexican, International, Fast Food)--all within easy walking distance of only 2 or 3 blocks from the hotel. Please know that we shared your comments with the Maintenance Staff and while we don't know the specifics you referenced, the Maintenance Staff has assured us that there will not be cause for future negative comments. We would like to invite you to stay with us in the future so that you will have the opportunity to enjoy the experience that has brought many return visitors back to Silver Seas year after year.

Hotel Management

Been to Silver Seas Resort Hotel? Share your experiences!