“I have always loved this hotel.” 2 of 5 stars

Silver Seas Resort Hotel
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   66 James Street | St. Ann, Ocho Rios, Jamaica   |
Ranked #19 of 39 hotels in Ocho Rios
USA
“I have always loved this hotel.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

That being said, she is over the hill. I first came to this hotel in 1965 with my parents and their friends. I have loved it ever since. I have stayed here many times, later with my husband, and still later with friends.

We were here two weeks ago for our friend' 25th wedding anniversary. We stayed here the first time when we got them married up at Shaw Park Garden.

It is so sad, the hotel is not a shadow of its' former self. The bar was even closed. We did manage to get a very good Jamaican breakfast the second day by asking the cook the night before, as it is not on the menu.

No hot water on Saturday night, so could not wash hair for going out. Pretty worn rooms and furnishings. The staff is wonderful. They will try to help where ever they can. I went down to the "beach" one morning and swam. I was the only person I saw the entire time in the ocean.

In the "day" the sand was raked every morning, there was bar service on the beach and even a water sports kiosk! You would never guess that now.

I restore old buildings-this could still be salvaged, but it will cost a fortune and require a dedicated knowledgeable person with incredible stamina!!

I am glad to see that someone is responding to review postings. That is a step in the right direction for management.

As I said, I love this hotel.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

207 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

If you want to spend some nights in ochio rios, this place is the one! Right in the middle of the town, close to shops and restaurant. Staff friendly, large rooms, ac, hot shower, swimming pool and a breathtaking view of the ocean. Price are not expensive, breakfast is not included but there are several small place around where you can have breakfast! I really recommend it, i'm against all those new resorts that make you feel like in any other place of the world...at the silver seas you feel jamaica and that's is the most important thing to me!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

This is a quaint place to visit. It grows on you. It has a great view and was the place to be back in the day. It needs a bit of care, ground maintenance and some updating in the rooms. New beds and bedding. Food is not readily available on site. Its a short walk to everything you could possibly need. Staff is great, friendly and have been there for years. Its my second stay there and Its never crowded. All in all not bad for the money.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Oshkosh, Wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

Breathtaking view walking into lobby. Rooms also have same view from patio. LOVE IT! Limited hours for on site eating. We arrived around 8 PM and NO FOOD! BUT later in the week we discovered Jack Ruby Restaurant -- within walking distance and they even deliver right to our room. No more motel food for us. You can walk - go right outside of front entrance and follow James ave around corner to Jack Ruby Plaza. Great Jamaican breakfast, lunch and dinner and they are open late :)

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
aimeer, Public Relations Manager at Silver Seas Resort Hotel, responded to this review, September 11, 2012
Dear Guests,

We are delighted that you enjoyed the “Best View on the Island” from your patio and the lobby. We are also glad you discovered a favorite local restaurant just around the corner and experienced and enjoyed true Jamaican cuisine. When occupancy is low, the restaurant may close early but usually check with guests or the front desk. Your review was discussed with the staff and they apologize and will be more attentive in the future as they sincerely enjoy pleasing guests and would love to arrange a special moonlight dinner for you on the pier or patio when you return. Thank you for staying with us and for your candid review.

The Hotel Management
Mars, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

Hello:
I am a travel agent an recently we stayed at this hotel in Aug. The hotel is not a bad place it just needs some minor improvements such as maybe some new bedding for the beds pillows an such. The staff is very helpful an freindly an the maid service was outstanding! So if you are interested in staying at a 2 star hotel with a great room 206 with beautiful breathtaking views for a budget price then this is the place for you. Do not think of room service because this is not the place again very low key.. But the walk into downtown Ocho with all the local resturants an bars is well worth it! GO explore! The best times are when you least expect things an believe me we did have a good time at this hotel.. Yes I would recommend it to clients but only the second floor rooms..

Room Tip: ROOM 206 or only upstair rooms no street level floors
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
aimeer, Public Relations Manager at Silver Seas Resort Hotel, responded to this review, September 10, 2012
Dear Guests,

We appreciate that you have taken the time to share your experience with us. We are pleased that you found the "terrace view awesome" and we are sincerely sorry that you experienced maintenance and logistic difficulties during your stay. The Front Desk and most staff members could have let you know that almost all Ocho Rios night life is within walking distance from Silver Seas--the roof top club is within one block... local Jamaican clubs and night life are within 2 blocks on James Avenue...the local casino and the nightlife on the cruise ship pier is a longer walk through town. Silver Seas is very centrally located and there are also many restaurants of most ethnic varieties (Chinese, Jamaican, Indian, Mexican, International, Fast Food)--all within easy walking distance of only 2 or 3 blocks from the hotel. Please know that we shared your comments with the Maintenance Staff and while we don't know the specifics you referenced, the Maintenance Staff has assured us that there will not be cause for future negative comments. We would like to invite you to stay with us in the future so that you will have the opportunity to enjoy the experience that has brought many return visitors back to Silver Seas year after year.

Hotel Management
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012 via mobile

The hotel was made maybe in 1980 and since then they never fix anything!!! Everything is broken and doesn't work, not clean!
The terrace ocean view is awesome but the location of the hotel is away from the night life.

• Stayed August 2012
aimeer, Public Relations Manager at Silver Seas Resort Hotel, responded to this review, September 17, 2012
Jamaica
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

We visited this hotel before and it was lovely, it became our favorite hotel in Ochio Rios, great location, great views of the beach, great attractions nearby, so we decided we'd spend all our vacation time there.
i live about 4-5 hrs away from this hotel so in January 2012 (around the 5th) I tried to book the reservation and the whole ordeal was ridiculous. The first person I spoke to was a male. i asked him how much for 2 weeks and without asking me when i would like to book the room, he put me on hold, then responded that they're fully booked. So I said to him that it's January month end i want the room, not at the moment i called, he responded by saying "you never told me that". I thought that was very rude of him. First of all, he should have asked me before he put me on hold and why would he put me on hold when he doesn't even know when i'd like the room? yet, after i told him that, he still responded that they are fully booked.
Then around the 18th, I tried again and this time a woman answered (none gave me their names). This time i got through but she told me i had to secure the room by paying a deposit, which i thought was stupid and maybe she was scamming me because she wanted me to pay the deposit to a bank account for a room i need in less than 13 days. If it was months away, i could understand. she even said to me that if i was calling on the 29th of January and i need the room the 31st of January, i would still need to pay the deposit through the bank!!... TOTALLY RIDICULOUS.... so we took our interest and our money elsewhere...
Now, this is what happens when the customer service OVER THE PHONE is very POOR. I don't know if those people work for the hotel or just someone who don't work there filling in for someone who does, or because i'm Ja'can or because they're the most affordable hotel in ochio rios and it got to their heads in thinking we as customers can't do without them, but whatever the case is, if they don't address people rationally and respectfully over the phone, they'll lose more than they gain. In any case, we never went back there, totally lost interest in Silver Seas now...unless of course, they can redeem themselves.

P.S. the reason i never posted this incident months ago was because i had posted a review of silver seas already and had to wait 6 months to post another one, time fly by so fast...good luck, hope other Ja'cans will have better luck than i did trying to book a room over the phone at this hotel.

Room Tip: choose upstairs
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
aimeer, Director of Sales at Silver Seas Resort Hotel, responded to this review, July 30, 2012
Dear Guests,

We sincerely apologize for the unpleasant phone conversation and we are most disappointed that it resulted in your not booking your second visit with Silver Seas! Your first review, a few months ago, was most pleasing and we were so delighted to hear that you enjoyed a great stay and wrote: “This hotel is our number one choice…I absolutely love it there.” Please accept our sincere apologies for the experience expressed in your most recent review. Please note the phone attendants have been advised of this incident and we are further investigating and taking appropriate measures. Silver Seas prides itself on guest satisfaction and trains its staff to be helpful and respectful (it is seldom we receive any comments to the contrary). Like most hotels today, it is necessary to secure rooms with a deposit as, unfortunately, without a deposit, there are many, many no shows—this policy also allows hotels to avoid over bookings. Whether local or foreign, deposits are required in advance for all confirmed reservations. Again, we are incredibly sorry that you a bad experience over the phone and we hope you will return for a second visit and an experience like your first. Please email us directly (Silverseas@atlanticbb.net) so that we may apologize to you personally and to encourage you to visit us again.

Been to Silver Seas Resort Hotel? Share your experiences!