“A beautiful sight but watch out for the local merchants” 3 of 5 stars

Book ahead on Viator
Special Offer
$60*
and up
Ocho Rios Super Saver: Green Grotto Caves plus...
Ranked #2 of 53 things to do in Ocho Rios
Activities: Swimming
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“A beautiful sight but watch out for the local merchants”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

Our cruise excursion brochure said that Dunns River Falls is the best in Jamaica; a tour that you cannot miss. I agree that the falls are beautiful but the whole area seemed far more commercial than I expected. Since we saw several people slip and fall while hiking the falls, we opted for the beach instead of walking the falls. Lockers can be rented for your things which I highly recommend. It was a beautiful Carribean beach but there wasn't anything but a couple of picnic tables to put your things. My husband has an insulin pump he takes off to swim and we were very leary of it and our camera getting stolen. Be aware that there are a lot of stairs down to the beach and a lot to climb back up. As we climbed back up, I was able to get into a place called "the whirlpool" almost to the top of the falls. The water was freezing and pretty swift, but at least I was able to get a sense of the falls without injuring myself. To exit the falls area you are required to go through a shopping area where local merchants sell their items. They pull at you, trying to put necklaces around your neck, telling you that they are free and then wanting money. If the merchandise was quality or reasonably priced it would not have been so bad. That was not the case. The prices were very high and the items about the same quality as you would get at a dollar store. If you took an interest in something, they pounced! I guess that I am glad that I at least saw the falls while in Jamaica but the local merchants and their aggressive tactics ruined the trip for me.

• Polish first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“natural beauty”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

I have climbed Duuns River Falls a few times and on each visit I am still blown away by how beautiful it is. In recent years they want you to climb holding hands in a chain, I hate it and wont do it, my advice is take your time and watch the locals as they know where to climb. Be careful at the very top when it flattens out to a river as the flat rocks are slippy. You can have a full day out as it has a great beach and gardens, so dont just climb and leave, Jamaica is all about taking your time. There are lockers where you can store you stuff and a side path for non climbers.

Visited May 2012
Rocky Mountain House, Canada
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 56 helpful votes
“a bit over rated”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

Dunns River Falls is listed as the best in the world according to tour people in Jamaica. It isn't. It is very nice and everyone in our group that went were happy to have experienced the falls, but now that we have, there is no need to return. It is beautiful, don't get me wrong, just not as spectacular as we were lead to believe.

boston, ma
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“catamaran excursion to Dunn's River Falls”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

Catamaran from Sandals in Ocho Rios was fun and enjoyed snorkeling. Went to Dunn River Falls, you could climb it or hang at the beach. It's a 45 minute climb, bring water shoes or rent them for $5

Visited March 2013
Fulton, New York, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“A Natural Wonder”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

We toured Dunn River Falls through a catamaran cruise that was part of our package at Beaches. The catamaran was beautiful, staff was gracious, and the falls were amazing. We took the stairs due to my husband's mobility problems, but could watch the rest of the family climb the falls. Definitely is a challenge, I was glad that we were watching. The guides seem to be qualified, but one slip and I could see a disaster waiting to happen! Be prepared, as the guides are looking for tips...we were told not to take any cash to the falls, so this was confusing when they all expected to be tipped!