“Worst front desk ever” 1 of 5 stars
Review of The Jewel Dunn's River Beach Resort & Spa

Save Saved
You added The Jewel Dunn's River Beach Resort & Spa to your Saves list
The Jewel Dunn's River Beach Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Mammee Bay | PO Box 858, Ocho Rios, Jamaica   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #6 of 39 hotels in Ocho Rios
New York City, New York
“Worst front desk ever”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

Visited in August for an anniversary and the front desk staff seemed to be overworked an very unfriendly. Paid cash for a trip to the waterfalls but had to argue with the front desk and the manager on check out because I could not find my receipt. After about an hour I started recording my conversation with them and that's when their tune changed. Posted the details on cheapcaribbean website review but was not posted. so be aware... Do not trust the front desk and make sure you get a receipt if you have to go there.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Daine G, Guest Relations Manager at The Jewel Dunn's River Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, September 28, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback. So sorry to hear of your experience and we will use this to improve in the area mentioned.

2,975 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,175)
Chesapeake, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

Spent September 14th thru 31st at the Jewel Dunn River Resort. All the staff were friendly, the rooms were clean, and drinks were plenty!

BabyFace is so cute!!! Ask him how he got his name. He did orientation for us and arranged for a taxi, Michael Butler, to take us on town for some sightseeing.

There is no Starbucks in Jamaica. I was craving a Frappuccino. Damion, my favorite bartender, created a drink for me named Luscious Lisa. If you like coffee, kahlua, baileys, etc., ask Damion to make you a coffee Luscious Lisa! I'd like to come back and know my drink is still going strong.

Our favorite waiter was Montgomery. He is soooo professional yet makes you feel at home. He is absolutely the best waiter there!

Our day maid Judy kept our room so clean and was so friendly. I do have a recommendation though: remove the 2 oriental rugs beside the beds. They're old and hard to keep clean. The rooms will look more modern and upscale without them.

We spent more time at the quiet pool. The first day there I stayed at the loud pool and then began going to the quiet pool. I observed that many people had started out at the loud pool and moved to the quiet pool. The quiet pool could use some "quiet" Jamaican music.

The resort does not stock liquor or beer in the rooms. I was surprised because all the resorts I stayed at have always keep the liquor stocked in the room.

Great resort and highly recommend you vacation there.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Daine G, Guest Relations Manager at The Jewel Dunn's River Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, September 27, 2013
Dear Felicia,

Sounds like you had a great time and we are are delighted to hear that. Come back soon for more 'Luscious Lisas!' We will be waiting....

Sacramento, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

We went to Jewel for our honeymoon. The resort was great! The staff is very helpful and courteous. The food was great and the drinks were even better! The beach was beautiful and clean. Overall we felt comfortable and safe! We will be visiting again!

Dear Guest,

We appreciate you reviewing our property. Book us again next year and we'll be happy to make it great again.

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

My husband and I just returned from a fabulous vacation at The Jewel.

I originally booked the trip through Snique Away now JetSetter (similar to Groupon) and I was nervous since I hadn't booked a vacation this route before. Everything worked out fine no glitches whatsoever. We upgraded to the Saphire Bldg 6th floor when we got there (and we did pay a pretty penny for the upgrade about $500.00), however, we had an amazing ocean view which was worth every penny. I thought the housekeeping staff did an amazing job of keeping our room clean and they offer turndown service every evening which is a nice gesture.

The food was pretty good. We loved Moonstone (dine outside and ask for Anthony) and we also enjoyed dining at The Platinum (Montgomery was our favorite waiter). I didn't enjoy the buffet restaurant at all but I'm just not a fan of buffets to begin with so I think I was swayed negatively a bit. We loved the pizza and burgers at the outside grille and my husband enjoyed the jerk chicken wraps.

Entertainment was good. Our favorite was the Steel Drum Band show - a must see! They offered some type of entertainment every night (some better than others) but they were all decent and worth seeing.

We took a Catamaran ride with Vidal which was great - he took lots of pictures of us which will be a nice keepsake.

If I had to complain at all and I'm reaching a bit here...........The entertainment during the day seemed a bit "spring breakish" to us. Beer chugging contest, wrapping people up in toilet paper, game where if you get the right answer you get a "shot" poured in your mouth - which is why we stayed by the quiet pool (there are options out there for people who want it a little quieter).

All in all a great trip - will definitely come back!

Room Tip: Saphire Building-6th floor room 2612-smack in the middle of the 6th floor with an amazing ocean view...
Dear Guest,

Thank you for you feedback. We are happy to know that your vacation was good and that you will plan to come back and see us.

Smyrna
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

My husband and I went for our Anniversary. I had a hard time choosing between this resort and Couples. We have been to Couples before, and finally decided on the Jewel. I am so happy we did. This was the most amazing vacation for us. We are already planning our trip for next year. From check-in to check-out they treated us like Royalty! Very laid back and just flat out beautiful...this may be a long review. Check-in we were greeted with drinks and waited to check in...which was less than 15 minutes. The young lady at the front desk who had just had a birthday was very friendly! We went to our room and Hartland had a our bags there in a jiff! We opened the door and the room was beautiful, especially the view. 2 balconies that over looked the ocean and the pool, it was perfect. Our room was spotless. Stocked mini bar, which we never touched,as the drinks were plentiful through out the resort. The resort was at full capacity which was unsualy for them this time of year, we never felt like it was full, there was never a wait or line for anything. Plenty of pool side and beach side seats available every morning. The beach, AMAZING! The size was perfect, water aqua blue, and I actually did not need water shoes as the beach floor was smooth. I had a massage and body scrub by FALLON, that was out of this world, request her at "Radiant". Her hands were heavenly. I give it up to the ENT crew, those are some hardworking kids, to entertain us all day and night, and always have a smile on their face and full of energy. They invited all couples who were celebrating an Anniversary or Honeymoon to their Cocktail party that was pretty cute. Everywhere you walk, the workers are smiling or singing and stop to ask how your stay is going. Poolside was great as well. Shout out to SNOOP and YASIEL by the pool!!! Food was pretty good, Platinum was the best. Beach party was fun. Some people complain about lack of entertainment, there was always something to do, no there were not usually people in the club at night, probably because we were all so tired from drinking, eating and laying out all day. The club was nice as well. We had excursions planned that we never went on, because we were so content just laying out and enjoying the resort that there was no need for us to go out. This is the vacation we needed, to just relax and recharge. Concierge and Butler service are the way to go. If you do get Butler service, please ask for LARNELLE STENNETT, this kid is amazing! He should def be an ambassador for this Hotel, true gentleman with an amazing, kind spirit. CAMARRA at the Coral Cafe is an excellent waitress as well. We never had a problem with dirty dishes, as soon as we were done, someone came to take our plates up, or fill our glasses. They never make you feel like you have to tip, they give everyone the same service, unless you yourself are just miserable. We tipped the whole time, as they work so hard, and such long shifts, and will always go out of their way for you, it was only right! I could go on and on, but you just have to experience it yourself. Those people that complain are just complainers and their attitudes project, come on your on vacation! We have stayed in some amazing hotels, but the level of customer service here is top notch!!!!! Yes, there are about 2-3 stray cats on the property, but they never bothered us. We have been to Jamaica several times and have seen stray cats at every resort we have been to from super luxury to budget resorts. Again, can not wait to come to back next September, and see our wonderful friends again!!!

Room Tip: Diamond building ...higher floor, over looking pool and beach room . Or ask for room 3318 and get an...
Dear Guest,

What a wonderful review! We are elated that you had such a great time with us and appreciated you pointing out the staff that made it great for you.

We can't wait to have you both back again!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I went here on our honeymoon and could not have asked for a better experience! The resort was beautiful, the staff was amazing and the endless food and drinks were great! There were days we would leave the resort for excursions yet had just as much fun on the days we stuck around. Thank you to the entertainment team for making us feel so welcome!

• Stayed September 2013
Dear Mr. Powell,

Thank you for your review. We appreciate the feedback and look forward to hosting you again.

Oakville, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

I found the jewel resort in ocho to be all it claims to be .It is a nice size with good beach with plenty off things to do the snorkeling is very good lots of fish.Two good pools one is nice and quite rooms are clean also washrooms near pools and beach.Staff are very good bar staff waiters ect thanks very much Montgomery waiter in one of ala cart restarounts

Room Tip: Pool or ocean rooms very nice high floors
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Daine G, Guest Relations Manager at The Jewel Dunn's River Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, September 25, 2013
Dear Guest,

We appreciate your review. Come back and see us soon.

Tara Wilson

Been to The Jewel Dunn's River Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!