“Honeymoon and 2nd Time at Resort, Better Than Ever!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Jewel Dunn's River Beach Resort & Spa

You added The Jewel Dunn's River Beach Resort & Spa to your Saves list
The Jewel Dunn's River Beach Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Mammee Bay | PO Box 858, Ocho Rios, Jamaica   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
EXTRA 10% OFF
Ranked #7 of 41 Hotels in Ocho Rios
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Leesburg, Virginia
“Honeymoon and 2nd Time at Resort, Better Than Ever!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

My wife and I could not decide on a honeymoon destination, we were between Turks & Caicos, the Cayman Islands among others. Finally, we both decided we wanted a sure thing and went over the best vacations we'd ever had. My best was at Sandals Dunns River in 2006. She had never been to Jamaica and we found out the resort was no longer a Sandals. We ended up booking a butler suite (I had one previously when it was Sandals) for 10 days. Not only was it the time of our lives, it was better now than when it was a Sandals. There was more personal attention and the staff could not have been much more friendly. Our room was amazing, the resort was great, the options for excursions were more than we could do in 10 days, and above all, the butlers were perfect. Desmond and Larnell were so helpful, very curtious and very nice people. Larnell even called in the nurse (on her day off) our last day when I was running a fever. The two people that made our trip were Mario and Fabian. Mario was only our butler one day, but we saw him on the beach everyday. He made sure he took time to talk to us, get us anything we needed or even contact the working butlers when we needed something. I had met Fabian previously on my trip to Ocho Rios, he was briefly my butler and didn't get to know him too well. Fabian made us feel like Jamaica was our second home and made us feel comfortable enough to the point where we feel like we've known him for years. Even after I imagine his shift was over, he'd still come by the room or call to make sure we were doing ok. Our chairs on the beach, the excursions he arranged and even selecting a cab driver he knew to take us to town were all perfect. He even tried to teach me how to play the guitar after I briefly mentioned earlier in the trip I had always wanted to learn. When we left, we felt like we were leaving family. My wife cried when Fabian gave her a hug right before we got on the bus to leave for the airport. We would have had an amazing time without the butlers, but they really did make it the best time of our lives without question. We will definitely be back, potentially as soon as this Christmas. I'm even hoping we hear from some of the butlers (we left our email address).

Aside from the butlers, the butler suite was amazing. It had two balconies, one off the living room and one off the bedroom no more than 3 steps away from where we slept. It also had two bathrooms which were both kept very clean. Our balcony off the living room was right over top of the ocean and an amazing view. The room also had a fully stocked bar with local rum, vodka, scotch, and gin. The fridge had Red Stripe, Strip Light, and a bottle of champagne. We are big drinkers which the butlers learned quickly, they made sure every morning we had at least 1 bottle of champagne in the fridge. They paid such close attention, they found out my wife fell in love with rum cream (high proof Baileys) and started putting a small glass in the fridge for her coffee in the morning. They even put more Stripe Lights in there as well for the same reason.

Our chairs were set aside and labeled for us every morning on a prime spot on the beach. It was close to the bar, but there were so many people walking around trying to help us, we rarely had to get a drink ourselves...plus the cooler of beer the butlers packed for us didn't hurt either. Each pool bar had the nicest bartenders and would try to make anything you wanted. The food at the place behind the beach bar was amazing. The jerk chicken and pork wraps were unreal. Moonstone was ok, food was good, wine was iffy (they have better wine, but you have to pay a fortune for it). Platinum and Jade had amazing food (although I wish they both had a few more options on the menu, you only have 6-8 to choose from). Even the room service was good (I was sick the last night so they brought a ton of food to the room for us). For couples, they had special events each night, including contests, dancing, buffets, etc.

I heard the Cool Runnings booze cruise to Dunns River Falls got some bad reviews. We had a blast. We are adventurous though and sat on the mesh netting on the front of the catamaran, there were literally 10 people up there and the rest of the boat was packed. The employees kept giving us drinks and dancing and really made it a good time. They did not have the bar open until the ride home, but you can always bring something with you. The snorkeling was boring, not much to see. We did Mystic Mountain zip lining too. That was decent, although the chair lift broke on the way down and were stuck for 40 minutes without moving which was a downer...get ready to spend all day there.

We are definitely trying to figure out a way to go back. If you can help it, don't use AirTran, we had a 7 hour flight delay going home and their employees couldn't have been more rude or less informative. Also, if you want to do the adventurous mountain thing, go with Pukka, not Mystic Mountain. I can't recommend this place enough, and if you have enough money go with a butler suite, it's an unbelievable experience you'll never forget. If there's a way to contact me with questions please go ahead.

since this message was so positive, my only complaint, if I had one, I'd say I wish there were a few more menu options at each restaurant.

Room Tip: Go with the butler suite if you have the money. Worth every penny.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Daine G, Guest Relations Manager at The Jewel Dunn's River Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
Dear Joshua

It was our absolute pleasure to have hosted you and delighted that you had a great time and thoroughly enjoyed your vacation here with us and memories were made. I am happy that the staff mentioned made your stay what it was and ensured that all your needs was met. Thanks again and hope to see you again soon.

Guest Services Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,422)
Royal Oak, Michigan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

Pros: The room was spacious and clean
the A/C in the room was working well
Some of the shows in the evening were great (Steel Drum, Local Talent) though poorly attended
Kevin our waiter at the Coral Cafe. Great personality and made our meals fun.
The snorkeling excursion through the resort was AWESOME !
The beach was lovely

Cons: The food (except Breakfast) - Terrible. Bland or just not edible. I can usually eat anything but the food here was a huge let down for most of our meals.
The pool was always dirty, murky and not appealing.
The alcoholic drinks were weak !! Obviously watered down. Just choose straight shots.
Some of the staff were quite rude, either ignored you or made sarcastic comments.
The fitness center ? Is half outside and not air conditioned. Bad... or good if you like to sweat.. a lot
There are no activities for when it rains. Which it does.. a lot.
The wifi (only available in the lobby) works about half the time.
The resort is very very quiet.. eerily so. Could be a pro if that is what you are going for.
There are rarely clean towels available the pool/beach

I base a rating of a resort on a few key elements: Food, service and atmosphere. Because the food was horrible, the service was mediocre and the atmosphere was generally okay, I gave this resort a poor rating. This was in conjunction with a couple of strange events/issue we encountered while there:

While out at dinner at the Italian restaurant, and being the only people in the entire restaurant... we spotted a crab running across the floor. We pointed it out to our waitress. About 10 minutes later while having our main course.. what appeared to be the manager came to my table and took my dinner knife from me and ran around the place lifting up table cloths and looking like he was going to stab whatever he was going after (the crab?). In addition, the food at the italian restaurant was bad. The anti pasto bar is left out on a table.. not on ice and is picked over and had many flies on the food. I passed on that after seeing it. The pasta had to have been pre cooked and not cooked fresh as it took under 5 mins from the time we placed our order to the time we got our food. For dessert we had the ice cream which was gritty.

The reception staff are short on patience and often rude. There is no "customer service" attitude at this resort. For example, We asked to have our electrical in our room looked at because the lights and fan would randomly come on and off every 20 mins. After giving attitude about how that "could not be possible" they finally decided to have someone come up and look at it. About 30 mins later the repair man showed up with a screw driver... and flicked the light switch and turned the bulb and said it looked fine to him, even though the lights turned off WHILE HE WAS THERE. He told us he could change the bulbs. I told him it was likely not a bulb problem but more of an electrical/wiring problem. We got some run around answer about how that could not be possible and that someone would be back tomorrow .. no one ever came. The bathroom fan failed to work from that day forward. We were told we could not switch rooms.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Daine G, Guest Relations Manager at The Jewel Dunn's River Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, June 19, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review and must extend my apologies for some of the issues mention. We have done some investigation, and found it strange that you stated issues were not resolved. With regards to the flickering light, our records indicate that it was rectified, I will apologies if it was not to your satisfaction, and if it ws not, you stated that you were informed that they would return and they never did, and you made no alaram of this, which will lead me believe otherwise. The antipasta as you mention on a table, is indeed a table that also has a dual role of a fridge in it that keeps the temperture of the items. Food is a preference, where ever you travel, so that is an area, that will be left undiscussed. All the best in your future travels.

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

The Jewel Dunn's River Beach Resort and Spa was absolutely beautiful. Our vacation was perfect! I commend the employees at this resort for all their hard work and for going above and beyond to make things perfect especially the buffet restaurant staff. I have absolutely no negatives about this hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest

It was our pleasure and thanks for taking the time, to let us know of your stay. I am happy that memories were created and that the recognition of the staff goes a long way and will be shared with them.

Thanks again and hope to host you again soon.

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

I cannot even begin to explain how amazing our trip to The Jewel was.
I was so hesitant to leave the US when my closest cousin began to tell me she was getting married in Jamaica. I was so, so sadly mistaken. I never want to vacation anywhere else in the world after coming to this resort, the food, the cleanliness, the activities, the comfort and most of all the staff made our stay so memorable and so unique. from the moment we walked into the resort we were treated like family. Everyone knows your name and greets you in the morning, and at night. It's like a constant hug. The day time is filled with laughter, music and activities and the night is filled with dancing, entertainment and fun. The food was some of the best food I have ever had in my life, the jerk chicken made by Gregory was phenomenal, the pizza, the breakfast buffet everything was outstanding. I know it seems almost unbelievable but this was the most perfect vacation i have ever had and i ever will have. I have never met more genuine and sweet people in my entire life. It is so comforting to know everyone by name, its like walking around your own little resort. Saying hi, hugging, singing and dancing with people who feel like your family. Nothing could ever come close to the Jewel. We are coming back next year as "Jamericans" and we cannot wait to be back with our "family". :) Stop reading the rest of these reviews... just go.

*Do not be turned off by the "long" bus ride.. it was one of our favorite parts of the trip. :)

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Daine G, Guest Relations Manager at The Jewel Dunn's River Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
Dear Amanda

Thank you for such a detailed review, and happy that you were pleased and thoroughly, enjoyed our resort and all that we had to offer. It was our pleasure and hope to host you again soon.

Kissimmee, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for four days in October of 2012. I found a Groupon special they were running and we decided to take a chance after researching them here on Tripadvisor. We ended up having such a great time! Totally worth it going to an adults-only retreat, it just made it that much more relaxing and romantic. We had an ocean view room with a large balcony and we sat out there a lot with our drinks just taking in the view. The pools and spas were spotless and we actually saw one of the employees in the main pool one morning scrubbing each and every tile by hand! We had an issue when we first arrived with our keycard which I've seen others mention too, perhaps this is the one area they could improve upon. Actually, the one other area I would say caused me to deduct a couple of points is that the room doors have a large gap between the door and the floor (maybe 1/2 inch or so) which does mean that you hear everything in the hallway outside your door, everyone talking, everyone opening and closing their doors. Other than that, I have no complaints. The restaurants were great too, the breakfast buffet especially was large and there was something for everyone. We even made some friends here that we stay in touch with! I would definitely recommend this resort to others, it was just a fun, relaxing time!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Caroline

Thank you for your review, and for bringing to our attention, your observation with the room door. I am happy that, the deal you got on Group on, was worth it and you enjoyed your time here. Hope to host you again soon.

Boise, Idaho
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

When we first arrived to Jamaica, we were amazed at the beauty. The entire island is green and the ocean is one of the most beautiful I have ever seen. I will say that the entire way from Montego bay to Ocho Rios is very poor. If you don't like to be around poverty, this is not the place for you.
When we first arrived to the resort I was pleased but not amazed. It is a beautiful resort but for the money I paid, I was expecting a little bit more.
The service and the people were great at all times with the exception of one time. The tours counter people were great but this is where I ran into my problem. The day after we got to the resort, we(party of 6) went down and booked a trip to the mountains that shows you the rum factory ect.. Keep in mind this was not a cheap tour ($120 per person). This tour in specific where they take you to the rum factory was only available one time a week on Tuesday. To keep it short, Tuesday morning at 7am we were down at the lobby and waited for an hour for transportation which never showed. After wasting several hours with the tours desk, they gave us a different excursion for free. The free part was great but I was still upset because that was one of the only trips I actualy wanted to do. I went and complained at the front desk and the lady said the manager would get in touch with me. We were there all week and the manager never even called me.
The hotel entertainment does not even start until about 10pm nightly and it is not very good at all. During the day, the only time I really saw the entrtainment staff was when they were doing power walking at 7am or pool exercises at about 10-11am.
The beach volleball area, which i spent a lot of time on was very poor to the extent that myself and everyone playing got hurt. One person even broke his toe. There was not a lot of sand so the cement underneath is what you were playing on.
The food was actually good everywhere except at the moonstone restaurant I believe it was called. the best restaurant was the Jade Samurai.
We also did the Cool Runnings cruise and it was disappointing as well. When you board you notice that there are so many people, you can barely walk. You snorkel for about 45 minutes which was ok. Then they take you to the Falls so you can walk up the falls holding hands with all 90 people on the catamaran. For two people this was almost $200. They don't even let you drink until you get back on the boat after climbing the falls,which by then you only have about 30-45 minutes until you get back.
We also did the Bob Marley tour. This I actually enjoyed because I grew up listening to Marley and I loved learning about his history. They take you to the home he grew up in and where he is buried.
We had a great time overall but would not attend the same resort again. First resort where there are almost no employees walking around taking drink orders. You might see one every few hours so if you wanted a drink you better find the nearest bar to go get yoour drink.
After being to so many all inclusive resorts, this was by far the worst one. The room service which was supposed to be included in our room, was suposedly not included in our room even though I made sure my reservation had it.
I spent the first day being dissapoiinted but after that, we made the best of it and still had a blast.
I am sure there are better places in Jamaica than this resort. They almost all make sure to remind you to tip them constantly which i had never seen and got old fast.

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review, and despite us being a poor country as you stated, and poverty, I can proudly say we stand proud as Jamaicans and welcome our visitors with pride. I will extend my apologies, if we did not meet your expectation, but will not apologies, for you degrading my country. I also, thank you for bringing your observation to our attention as this will allow us the opportunity to fix. All the best in your future travels.

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

I went to the Jewel Dunn's River from June 6-13, 2013 with my best friend for a little get away.
Check in was easy and the staff were very friendly. Beautiful grounds, lovely pools and good ammenities like the gym, pitch&putt golf course, tennis, basketball and water sports.
I loved the size of the resort: it was not one of those sprawling properties where you never see the same people twice. More intimate - but never felt crowded. This is definietly a great resort for couples and although I was travelling with a friend we never felt awkward or excluded as there was a good mix of types of vacationers (married, honeymooners, groups to celebrate birthdays, and friends of all ages.).
The pool areas were separated just enough so you could be part of the lively activities at one or you could find peace and quiet at the other.
The actvities' staff were young and energetic and made a personal connection with each and every guest. Look for "the Mayor" if you go there - he's absolutely the best!
I also loved the Acqafit classes every morning at the pool.
The food in the "a la carte" restaurants was excellent; particularly Moonstone (Italian); the buffet had awesome variety and the 7/24 hour grill was very convenient.
I had a beautiful seaside massage on the first day and enjoyed one of the off property tours (horseback riding and swim).
All in All - a delightful vacation. I would definitely go back

Dear Sara

Thank you and it was our pleasure to have hosted you and your friend and delighted that you did not feel uncomfortable, despite seeing honeymooners and couples. I am also happy that the staff delivered the level of service and you enjoyed your time and hoping to host you and your friend again soon.

Guest Service Manager

Been to The Jewel Dunn's River Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!