“Great couples retreat close to Dunn's River Falls” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Jewel Dunn's River Beach Resort & Spa

You added The Jewel Dunn's River Beach Resort & Spa to your Saves list
The Jewel Dunn's River Beach Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Mammee Bay | PO Box 858, Ocho Rios, Jamaica   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
EXTRA 10% OFF
Ranked #6 of 40 Hotels in Ocho Rios
Kissimmee, Florida
“Great couples retreat close to Dunn's River Falls”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for four days in October of 2012. I found a Groupon special they were running and we decided to take a chance after researching them here on Tripadvisor. We ended up having such a great time! Totally worth it going to an adults-only retreat, it just made it that much more relaxing and romantic. We had an ocean view room with a large balcony and we sat out there a lot with our drinks just taking in the view. The pools and spas were spotless and we actually saw one of the employees in the main pool one morning scrubbing each and every tile by hand! We had an issue when we first arrived with our keycard which I've seen others mention too, perhaps this is the one area they could improve upon. Actually, the one other area I would say caused me to deduct a couple of points is that the room doors have a large gap between the door and the floor (maybe 1/2 inch or so) which does mean that you hear everything in the hallway outside your door, everyone talking, everyone opening and closing their doors. Other than that, I have no complaints. The restaurants were great too, the breakfast buffet especially was large and there was something for everyone. We even made some friends here that we stay in touch with! I would definitely recommend this resort to others, it was just a fun, relaxing time!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Daine G, Guest Relations Manager at The Jewel Dunn's River Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
Dear Caroline

Thank you for your review, and for bringing to our attention, your observation with the room door. I am happy that, the deal you got on Group on, was worth it and you enjoyed your time here. Hope to host you again soon.

Guest Services Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,305)
Boise, Idaho
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

When we first arrived to Jamaica, we were amazed at the beauty. The entire island is green and the ocean is one of the most beautiful I have ever seen. I will say that the entire way from Montego bay to Ocho Rios is very poor. If you don't like to be around poverty, this is not the place for you.
When we first arrived to the resort I was pleased but not amazed. It is a beautiful resort but for the money I paid, I was expecting a little bit more.
The service and the people were great at all times with the exception of one time. The tours counter people were great but this is where I ran into my problem. The day after we got to the resort, we(party of 6) went down and booked a trip to the mountains that shows you the rum factory ect.. Keep in mind this was not a cheap tour ($120 per person). This tour in specific where they take you to the rum factory was only available one time a week on Tuesday. To keep it short, Tuesday morning at 7am we were down at the lobby and waited for an hour for transportation which never showed. After wasting several hours with the tours desk, they gave us a different excursion for free. The free part was great but I was still upset because that was one of the only trips I actualy wanted to do. I went and complained at the front desk and the lady said the manager would get in touch with me. We were there all week and the manager never even called me.
The hotel entertainment does not even start until about 10pm nightly and it is not very good at all. During the day, the only time I really saw the entrtainment staff was when they were doing power walking at 7am or pool exercises at about 10-11am.
The beach volleball area, which i spent a lot of time on was very poor to the extent that myself and everyone playing got hurt. One person even broke his toe. There was not a lot of sand so the cement underneath is what you were playing on.
The food was actually good everywhere except at the moonstone restaurant I believe it was called. the best restaurant was the Jade Samurai.
We also did the Cool Runnings cruise and it was disappointing as well. When you board you notice that there are so many people, you can barely walk. You snorkel for about 45 minutes which was ok. Then they take you to the Falls so you can walk up the falls holding hands with all 90 people on the catamaran. For two people this was almost $200. They don't even let you drink until you get back on the boat after climbing the falls,which by then you only have about 30-45 minutes until you get back.
We also did the Bob Marley tour. This I actually enjoyed because I grew up listening to Marley and I loved learning about his history. They take you to the home he grew up in and where he is buried.
We had a great time overall but would not attend the same resort again. First resort where there are almost no employees walking around taking drink orders. You might see one every few hours so if you wanted a drink you better find the nearest bar to go get yoour drink.
After being to so many all inclusive resorts, this was by far the worst one. The room service which was supposed to be included in our room, was suposedly not included in our room even though I made sure my reservation had it.
I spent the first day being dissapoiinted but after that, we made the best of it and still had a blast.
I am sure there are better places in Jamaica than this resort. They almost all make sure to remind you to tip them constantly which i had never seen and got old fast.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review, and despite us being a poor country as you stated, and poverty, I can proudly say we stand proud as Jamaicans and welcome our visitors with pride. I will extend my apologies, if we did not meet your expectation, but will not apologies, for you degrading my country. I also, thank you for bringing your observation to our attention as this will allow us the opportunity to fix. All the best in your future travels.

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

I went to the Jewel Dunn's River from June 6-13, 2013 with my best friend for a little get away.
Check in was easy and the staff were very friendly. Beautiful grounds, lovely pools and good ammenities like the gym, pitch&putt golf course, tennis, basketball and water sports.
I loved the size of the resort: it was not one of those sprawling properties where you never see the same people twice. More intimate - but never felt crowded. This is definietly a great resort for couples and although I was travelling with a friend we never felt awkward or excluded as there was a good mix of types of vacationers (married, honeymooners, groups to celebrate birthdays, and friends of all ages.).
The pool areas were separated just enough so you could be part of the lively activities at one or you could find peace and quiet at the other.
The actvities' staff were young and energetic and made a personal connection with each and every guest. Look for "the Mayor" if you go there - he's absolutely the best!
I also loved the Acqafit classes every morning at the pool.
The food in the "a la carte" restaurants was excellent; particularly Moonstone (Italian); the buffet had awesome variety and the 7/24 hour grill was very convenient.
I had a beautiful seaside massage on the first day and enjoyed one of the off property tours (horseback riding and swim).
All in All - a delightful vacation. I would definitely go back

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Sara

Thank you and it was our pleasure to have hosted you and your friend and delighted that you did not feel uncomfortable, despite seeing honeymooners and couples. I am also happy that the staff delivered the level of service and you enjoyed your time and hoping to host you and your friend again soon.

Guest Service Manager
Macon, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

If you want a large resort with lots of choices, this is not the resort for you. Arrival and check-in went smoothly and we were excited, until we saw our room. We paid for a Diamond Ocean front room and ended up with a view of the RIU next door, We requested a room change and it was given to us late the next day (thank you Simonette). I really think it is standard procedure for them to give you a crappy room so they can save the upgrades. So don't hesitate to ask for a room change if you aren't happy. The rooms were very clean and maintained very nicely. The only problem I had with the room was the shower, toilet and sink was in the same room so it made it difficult for two people to get ready at the same time. There was not a walk in shower but a combo shower/jacuzzi tub. Food was good and like so many other reviews, the Jade was by far the best restaurant, but be warned, you MUST make a reservation with the concierge at least 3 days in advance. The Brick Oven pizza was AWESOME! Pool side grill was also great for the afternoon or late evening "snack". There aren't a lot of different food choices on the buffet, but what was offered was good. The room service menu was nice and we enjoyed eating dinner alone in our room on the balcony. Service ... the staff were very friendly and welcoming but pool staff was understaffed. Oshae, Leonard, Rayan all get a "shout out" for being our favorite servers/cooks! Entertainment ... with the exception of the steel drums the entertainment was boring. The entertainment staff was great at engaging those who wanted to be involved, but just as good as learning who would rather be left alone to observe. BEACH: If you like wide open beaches and long walks, you will be disappointed. It took all of 5 minutes to walk the length of the beach. The security did a great job of keeping the "riff raff" away from you. It was actually very entertaining to watch the antics of some of the natives trying to sell you "a smoke". Don't be surprised if you see people taking advantage of the "smokes". It wasn't uncommon to smell it! POOL: The first couple of days we were there the pool was dirty and cloudy but it did get better towards the end of the week. There were plenty of lounge chairs so finding a place to hang out wasn't a problem. The elevator in the Diamond building was out most of the week (we actually got stuck in it one day) and we had to use the service elevator which was not very pleasant. The staff wasn't any happier than we were to have to share their elevator. Believe me, we didn't pay what we did to have to walk through a service area where dirty dishes, bottles and food was always present. Tours - Chukka Catamaran/Snorkeling/Dunn's River Falls was great. Staff was extremely attentive and were there to make sure you had a great time. There were a lot of guides along the falls to help you to the top. They forced you into a human chain so be prepared to offer a helping hand. Also did the shopping to Ocho's Rios and the combo Tubing/Zip Lining Tour. If I were you, I would pass on the zip lining (only 3 lines and there wasn't a "safety line" like other zip lining we have done). But the tubing was GREAT! TIPPING: Expect LOTS of blatant requests for tips on any tour you go on. The bus drivers, tour guides and everyone else EXPECTS you to tip them. When we did the tubing/zip lining tour we had to walk through a line of tour guides where they asked you for a tip, then they did the same thing again on the zip lining portion. They also take lots of pictures and want you to pay $25 for 7 pics they put on a CD. These prices are negotiable, so haggle with them! Better yet, take your own waterproof camera which you should bring with you so you don't have to pay $20 for one. Also, bring your own water shoes because by the time you pay to "rent" them you can buy a cheap pair. You will need them for Dunn's River and tubing. Our best experience at this resort was the staff ... worse thing about our trip was the constant "nagging" for tips outside of the resort!

Room Tip: Tell them you want above 2nd floor and as far away from RIU side as possible!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Daine G, Guest Relations Manager at The Jewel Dunn's River Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review and must extend my apologies, of the issue with the guest elevator, as this is being rectified. With regards to the room, we do have Concierge rooms that overlooks the Riu and the ocean, and also that overlooks our ocean. We do not save rooms, we assign based on what is available, and do accomodate as best as we can if a guest request a change.
I also extend my apologies, with regards to the issues encountered in the room. with regards to the Jade, that is the only restaurant that requires reservation and based on the concept, it must be reserved to accomodate. I fully understand that the hotel might appear not to be full, but the time slots for reservations can be, and hence why you were able to get in based on availabilty and some others could not.

Thanks again for sharing.

Daine golaube
Manchester, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

We went to Jewel Dunns River Resort from 6/3-6/8, our first time to Jamaica. I will say it is very beautiful and you will not be disappointed with the Jewel! Upon arrival, seated in the lobby with a cool towel and a nice drink,check in was simple, and escorted to our room. We stayed in the Diamond Concierge, room 3511,top floor, didn't think I would like facing the Riu but it is fine, view is gorgeous!! Room is very clean,housekeeping does great job twice day. Room service was good, would like to see larger selection for breakfast. Resort grounds are beautiful, go on the nature walk with Leamon, he was full of info about the grounds! Restaurants were good, my fav was the Platinum, Antoinette was very sweet and efficient but the last evening we skipped the dinner on pier due to packing, we went to the Platinum and KUDOS to Kevin!! He arranged flowers on table, for my hair and took pictures of us that evening!!! Excellent!!! Service all around the resort was outstanding! Bars were all good, drinks great. Thanks to Damion and Cornell at Jaspers Chillin, excellent bartenders! Our last day, giving a shout out to Dwain at the sunken treasure swim up as well as David bartender trainee....he made us a special drink for our last day!! Staff is great, wouldn't change a thing! Check out was simple,only took few minutes. I was very pleased with the Jewel, the staff, the grounds, plan on returning! FYI, you can use JTL or turs, we chose to use private taxi to go to Ocho Rios...prices are out front or see concierge. We had Michael Butler take us to town, very nice and reliable, would use again for other tours. Take the glass bottom boat ride, saw the 007 beach and the reef, water is beautiful! Thanks Jewel for a wonderful Anniversary vacation, cant wait to return!!

Room Tip: Diamond concierge if you want room service and stocked bar.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Daine G, Guest Relations Manager at The Jewel Dunn's River Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, June 16, 2013
Hi Annette

It was our absolute pleasure and delighted that you had a great and thoroughly enjoyed your vacation. Thanks for taking the time to mention those staff members as this will be shared with them. Hope to see you again soon.

Dallas, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

Our first trip to Jamaica was absolutely fabulous thanks to the "JEWEL" Dunn River Resort! I love love love this place! My sweetheart and I stayed there for 8 wonderful days. I wanted to upgrade at the last minute but was informed that everything was sold out. That made me a bit nervous because I thought the resort would be crowded. After all we were there for a relaxing time. Little did I know how wrong I was. Can you say Pamper??? When you check in. They sit you in the lobby and greet you with a smile,cool cloth on a silver platter and a yummy cocktail. No standing in line at the front desk. When we made it too our room, I opened the door and it was soooo pretty and the balcony had a ocean view just like I paid for. I felt like a little kid on the play ground. Turns out I really didn't need the upgrade because the ocean view room was perfect. The property was gorgeous and well maintained. Yes the beach area was small but it didn't put any damper on our vacation. All the restaurants were great and so was the Bar area. I loved coming into our room in the evening time and finding our room cleaned again complete with a turn down and the Romantic music on the radio. We came in one day and there was a happy anniversary plate with two heart shaped chocolate cake next to the bed. So cute! Even though the resort was full there was never any crowding at the beach or the pool area. Plenty of towels, food drinks, and friendly staff. My favorite were the people in the gift shop and the girls in the spa who did our message. Thanks Cecile for a great message. If you are looking for relaxation with your love. I highly recommend The Jewel! It really felt like home and I'm very picky. Can't wait to go back to my new home away from home!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Daine G, Guest Relations Manager at The Jewel Dunn's River Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, June 15, 2013
Dear Cynthia

Thank you for your review and delighetd that you had a fabulous time and thoroughly enjoyed our resort and amenities. It was our pleasure and hope to host you again soon.

Cerritos, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

We came here for our honeymoon and traded through Interval International. The place used to be owned by Sandlas, so it had many of the Sandals decor. We had a great stay here, the food was great (compared to the other Jewel Runaway Bay resort - different review). The Jade restaurant was my faviorte. We also did a private dinner on top the pool gazebo, very romantic and the food was amazing. We also went to the pier dinner, it was delicious, try to get out there about 15 minutes, so you get a good seat on the pier. All the staff were extremely friendly and helpful. Carl was a fabulous bartender and always refilling our drinks. Rooms were clean and always had a towel art design to come into. Turn down service at night was nice as well. If we get the chance to come back to the Jewel Dunns River we will, the hospitality and resort are amazing.

Room Tip: Would suggest an ocean view room in the tower - its so nice to sit on the balcony in the morning loo...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Amanda

I am delighted that your honeymoon trip was a memorable and enjoyable one. It was our pleasure and hope to see you again soon.

Guest Services Manager

Been to The Jewel Dunn's River Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!