When we first arrived to Jamaica, we were amazed at the beauty. The entire island is green and the ocean is one of the most beautiful I have ever seen. I will say that the entire way from Montego bay to Ocho Rios is very poor. If you don't like to be around poverty, this is not the place for you.
When we first arrived to the resort I was pleased but not amazed. It is a beautiful resort but for the money I paid, I was expecting a little bit more.
The service and the people were great at all times with the exception of one time. The tours counter people were great but this is where I ran into my problem. The day after we got to the resort, we(party of 6) went down and booked a trip to the mountains that shows you the rum factory ect.. Keep in mind this was not a cheap tour ($120 per person). This tour in specific where they take you to the rum factory was only available one time a week on Tuesday. To keep it short, Tuesday morning at 7am we were down at the lobby and waited for an hour for transportation which never showed. After wasting several hours with the tours desk, they gave us a different excursion for free. The free part was great but I was still upset because that was one of the only trips I actualy wanted to do. I went and complained at the front desk and the lady said the manager would get in touch with me. We were there all week and the manager never even called me.
The hotel entertainment does not even start until about 10pm nightly and it is not very good at all. During the day, the only time I really saw the entrtainment staff was when they were doing power walking at 7am or pool exercises at about 10-11am.
The beach volleball area, which i spent a lot of time on was very poor to the extent that myself and everyone playing got hurt. One person even broke his toe. There was not a lot of sand so the cement underneath is what you were playing on.
The food was actually good everywhere except at the moonstone restaurant I believe it was called. the best restaurant was the Jade Samurai.
We also did the Cool Runnings cruise and it was disappointing as well. When you board you notice that there are so many people, you can barely walk. You snorkel for about 45 minutes which was ok. Then they take you to the Falls so you can walk up the falls holding hands with all 90 people on the catamaran. For two people this was almost $200. They don't even let you drink until you get back on the boat after climbing the falls,which by then you only have about 30-45 minutes until you get back.
We also did the Bob Marley tour. This I actually enjoyed because I grew up listening to Marley and I loved learning about his history. They take you to the home he grew up in and where he is buried.
We had a great time overall but would not attend the same resort again. First resort where there are almost no employees walking around taking drink orders. You might see one every few hours so if you wanted a drink you better find the nearest bar to go get yoour drink.
After being to so many all inclusive resorts, this was by far the worst one. The room service which was supposed to be included in our room, was suposedly not included in our room even though I made sure my reservation had it.
I spent the first day being dissapoiinted but after that, we made the best of it and still had a blast.
I am sure there are better places in Jamaica than this resort. They almost all make sure to remind you to tip them constantly which i had never seen and got old fast.
- Also Known As:
- The Jewel Dunn`s River Beach Hotel Ocho Rios
- The Jewel Dunn`s River Beach Hotel
- The Jewel Dunn`s River Beach Resort And Spa
- The Jewel Dunn's River Beach Resort & Spa Jamaica/Ocho Rios
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Introducing The Jewel Dunn’s River, a new Jamaican beach resort located mere moments from one of Jamaica’s top attractions – spectacular Dunn’s River Falls. The Caribbean’s most romantic, adults-only Jamaican resort is the perfect spot for couples, honeymooners and idyllic weddings. Plus, our all-inclusive resort features the unique ‘Jewel Only’ exclusives you can only discover here. Imagine watching a movie from the comfort of a pool raft and dining by candlelight on a pristine beach – that’s just the beginning. Now visualize your first breath in the morning being filled with fresh ocean air from your room’s private balcony. Picture yourself sipping handmade rum punch served by a pool concierge. Anything is possible at The Jewel. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Amex, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Orbitz, BookIt.com, Hotels.com, Tingo, Venere, TripOnline SA, Priceline, Otel and Agoda so you can book your The Jewel Dunn's River Beach Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.