“This is a "couples" resort ... nice, but just average” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Jewel Dunn's River Beach Resort & Spa

Save Saved
You added The Jewel Dunn's River Beach Resort & Spa to your Saves list
The Jewel Dunn's River Beach Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Mammee Bay | PO Box 858, Ocho Rios, Jamaica   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #6 of 39 hotels in Ocho Rios
Macon, Georgia
“This is a "couples" resort ... nice, but just average”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

If you want a large resort with lots of choices, this is not the resort for you. Arrival and check-in went smoothly and we were excited, until we saw our room. We paid for a Diamond Ocean front room and ended up with a view of the RIU next door, We requested a room change and it was given to us late the next day (thank you Simonette). I really think it is standard procedure for them to give you a crappy room so they can save the upgrades. So don't hesitate to ask for a room change if you aren't happy. The rooms were very clean and maintained very nicely. The only problem I had with the room was the shower, toilet and sink was in the same room so it made it difficult for two people to get ready at the same time. There was not a walk in shower but a combo shower/jacuzzi tub. Food was good and like so many other reviews, the Jade was by far the best restaurant, but be warned, you MUST make a reservation with the concierge at least 3 days in advance. The Brick Oven pizza was AWESOME! Pool side grill was also great for the afternoon or late evening "snack". There aren't a lot of different food choices on the buffet, but what was offered was good. The room service menu was nice and we enjoyed eating dinner alone in our room on the balcony. Service ... the staff were very friendly and welcoming but pool staff was understaffed. Oshae, Leonard, Rayan all get a "shout out" for being our favorite servers/cooks! Entertainment ... with the exception of the steel drums the entertainment was boring. The entertainment staff was great at engaging those who wanted to be involved, but just as good as learning who would rather be left alone to observe. BEACH: If you like wide open beaches and long walks, you will be disappointed. It took all of 5 minutes to walk the length of the beach. The security did a great job of keeping the "riff raff" away from you. It was actually very entertaining to watch the antics of some of the natives trying to sell you "a smoke". Don't be surprised if you see people taking advantage of the "smokes". It wasn't uncommon to smell it! POOL: The first couple of days we were there the pool was dirty and cloudy but it did get better towards the end of the week. There were plenty of lounge chairs so finding a place to hang out wasn't a problem. The elevator in the Diamond building was out most of the week (we actually got stuck in it one day) and we had to use the service elevator which was not very pleasant. The staff wasn't any happier than we were to have to share their elevator. Believe me, we didn't pay what we did to have to walk through a service area where dirty dishes, bottles and food was always present. Tours - Chukka Catamaran/Snorkeling/Dunn's River Falls was great. Staff was extremely attentive and were there to make sure you had a great time. There were a lot of guides along the falls to help you to the top. They forced you into a human chain so be prepared to offer a helping hand. Also did the shopping to Ocho's Rios and the combo Tubing/Zip Lining Tour. If I were you, I would pass on the zip lining (only 3 lines and there wasn't a "safety line" like other zip lining we have done). But the tubing was GREAT! TIPPING: Expect LOTS of blatant requests for tips on any tour you go on. The bus drivers, tour guides and everyone else EXPECTS you to tip them. When we did the tubing/zip lining tour we had to walk through a line of tour guides where they asked you for a tip, then they did the same thing again on the zip lining portion. They also take lots of pictures and want you to pay $25 for 7 pics they put on a CD. These prices are negotiable, so haggle with them! Better yet, take your own waterproof camera which you should bring with you so you don't have to pay $20 for one. Also, bring your own water shoes because by the time you pay to "rent" them you can buy a cheap pair. You will need them for Dunn's River and tubing. Our best experience at this resort was the staff ... worse thing about our trip was the constant "nagging" for tips outside of the resort!

Room Tip: Tell them you want above 2nd floor and as far away from RIU side as possible!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Daine G, Guest Relations Manager at The Jewel Dunn's River Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review and must extend my apologies, of the issue with the guest elevator, as this is being rectified. With regards to the room, we do have Concierge rooms that overlooks the Riu and the ocean, and also that overlooks our ocean. We do not save rooms, we assign based on what is available, and do accomodate as best as we can if a guest request a change.
I also extend my apologies, with regards to the issues encountered in the room. with regards to the Jade, that is the only restaurant that requires reservation and based on the concept, it must be reserved to accomodate. I fully understand that the hotel might appear not to be full, but the time slots for reservations can be, and hence why you were able to get in based on availabilty and some others could not.

Thanks again for sharing.

Daine golaube

3,051 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,205)
Manchester, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

We went to Jewel Dunns River Resort from 6/3-6/8, our first time to Jamaica. I will say it is very beautiful and you will not be disappointed with the Jewel! Upon arrival, seated in the lobby with a cool towel and a nice drink,check in was simple, and escorted to our room. We stayed in the Diamond Concierge, room 3511,top floor, didn't think I would like facing the Riu but it is fine, view is gorgeous!! Room is very clean,housekeeping does great job twice day. Room service was good, would like to see larger selection for breakfast. Resort grounds are beautiful, go on the nature walk with Leamon, he was full of info about the grounds! Restaurants were good, my fav was the Platinum, Antoinette was very sweet and efficient but the last evening we skipped the dinner on pier due to packing, we went to the Platinum and KUDOS to Kevin!! He arranged flowers on table, for my hair and took pictures of us that evening!!! Excellent!!! Service all around the resort was outstanding! Bars were all good, drinks great. Thanks to Damion and Cornell at Jaspers Chillin, excellent bartenders! Our last day, giving a shout out to Dwain at the sunken treasure swim up as well as David bartender trainee....he made us a special drink for our last day!! Staff is great, wouldn't change a thing! Check out was simple,only took few minutes. I was very pleased with the Jewel, the staff, the grounds, plan on returning! FYI, you can use JTL or turs, we chose to use private taxi to go to Ocho Rios...prices are out front or see concierge. We had Michael Butler take us to town, very nice and reliable, would use again for other tours. Take the glass bottom boat ride, saw the 007 beach and the reef, water is beautiful! Thanks Jewel for a wonderful Anniversary vacation, cant wait to return!!

Room Tip: Diamond concierge if you want room service and stocked bar.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Daine G, Guest Relations Manager at The Jewel Dunn's River Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, June 16, 2013
Hi Annette

It was our absolute pleasure and delighted that you had a great and thoroughly enjoyed your vacation. Thanks for taking the time to mention those staff members as this will be shared with them. Hope to see you again soon.

Dallas, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

Our first trip to Jamaica was absolutely fabulous thanks to the "JEWEL" Dunn River Resort! I love love love this place! My sweetheart and I stayed there for 8 wonderful days. I wanted to upgrade at the last minute but was informed that everything was sold out. That made me a bit nervous because I thought the resort would be crowded. After all we were there for a relaxing time. Little did I know how wrong I was. Can you say Pamper??? When you check in. They sit you in the lobby and greet you with a smile,cool cloth on a silver platter and a yummy cocktail. No standing in line at the front desk. When we made it too our room, I opened the door and it was soooo pretty and the balcony had a ocean view just like I paid for. I felt like a little kid on the play ground. Turns out I really didn't need the upgrade because the ocean view room was perfect. The property was gorgeous and well maintained. Yes the beach area was small but it didn't put any damper on our vacation. All the restaurants were great and so was the Bar area. I loved coming into our room in the evening time and finding our room cleaned again complete with a turn down and the Romantic music on the radio. We came in one day and there was a happy anniversary plate with two heart shaped chocolate cake next to the bed. So cute! Even though the resort was full there was never any crowding at the beach or the pool area. Plenty of towels, food drinks, and friendly staff. My favorite were the people in the gift shop and the girls in the spa who did our message. Thanks Cecile for a great message. If you are looking for relaxation with your love. I highly recommend The Jewel! It really felt like home and I'm very picky. Can't wait to go back to my new home away from home!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Daine G, Guest Relations Manager at The Jewel Dunn's River Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, June 15, 2013
Dear Cynthia

Thank you for your review and delighetd that you had a fabulous time and thoroughly enjoyed our resort and amenities. It was our pleasure and hope to host you again soon.

Cerritos, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

We came here for our honeymoon and traded through Interval International. The place used to be owned by Sandlas, so it had many of the Sandals decor. We had a great stay here, the food was great (compared to the other Jewel Runaway Bay resort - different review). The Jade restaurant was my faviorte. We also did a private dinner on top the pool gazebo, very romantic and the food was amazing. We also went to the pier dinner, it was delicious, try to get out there about 15 minutes, so you get a good seat on the pier. All the staff were extremely friendly and helpful. Carl was a fabulous bartender and always refilling our drinks. Rooms were clean and always had a towel art design to come into. Turn down service at night was nice as well. If we get the chance to come back to the Jewel Dunns River we will, the hospitality and resort are amazing.

Room Tip: Would suggest an ocean view room in the tower - its so nice to sit on the balcony in the morning loo...
Dear Amanda

I am delighted that your honeymoon trip was a memorable and enjoyable one. It was our pleasure and hope to see you again soon.

oshkosh,wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

we went to the jewel for a wedding may31-june7.they did a very nice job with the wedding-the ceremony was well presented with cocktails after.then the party went to eat & all was well taken care of.all the food was good to very good-at the Japanese they put on a good show & food was good.the rides on the hobie cats was fun.yes you are always asked about drugs I guess that is up to you but is always there.as we called it walmart by the fence had everything for sale.really did not do much with the rec people as we were not in the main pool much.before the trip I had asked about ginger beer & on the second day it showed up in the room at no extra expense to us.that was a nice touch [it is not beer though].all in all was a very good time-the staff were great-nothing was a problem. THANKS JEWEL

Room Tip: diamond rooms are worth it
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest

Thank you and delighted that the wedding went well. I am also happy that your request was granted. It was our pleasure and hope to see you again soon.

Hilton Head Island,SC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

Visited the Jewel Dunns River Resort from May 28 to June 4, 2013. Must say that everything met or exceeded our expectations. My only minor complaint was with their computers. Three computers were available but one was inoperative the whole time. Another computer had about half the letters worn off the keys and unusable for a "hunt and peck" old guy like me. The third computer seemed to always be in use with others waiting so I never did send out a message. However I consider that a minor inconvenience. Good food and drinks were available all the time and NAME brands poured if you so desired. However the main thing I remember is SERVICE, SERVICE,SERVICE. At no time did any employee even hint they would like a tip . They were all so smiling,happy and helpful. VERY EAGER TO SERVE YOU. tHAT IS THE TYPE OF THING THAT MAKES A VACATION SPECIAL.

Room Tip: Recommend Ocean view rooms on 5th 0r 6th floor. Loved the view from our Sapphire 6th floor.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Daine G, Guest Relations Manager at The Jewel Dunn's River Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, June 14, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review, and for bringing to our attention, where we fell short, with an amenity that we offer. I extend my sincere apologies. I am happy thou that despite that you still had a great time and the service received, was top notch, and that made the difference. It was our pleasure and hope to see you again soon.

oklahoma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

My husband and I just got back from our week long stay, and it was the best vacation ever! So much better than Mexico! There were so many great things, so I will start from the beginning! First, the bus ride was long but very entertaining! Garfield the driver was so funny and we met others going to the resort that we ended up making great friendships with. When we checked in we were given a free upgrade to an oceanview room! The room was fantastic! We booked several tours through the resort, and were very pleased. The river tube float was one of my favorites! I have to give a huge thank you to the best lifeguard ever! Steven took us out on the Hobbie Cat and he was so wonderful! He was so willing to not only teach us about the boat, but was very informative on the things to do locally as well as around the whole island. I loved the sailing so much, we went again the next day! The entire staff at the resort was fantastic! The housekeeping ladies were fast and so nice! The front desk people were always cheerful and available. The restaurant staff were wonderful and the food was great! My favorite was the pizza, and Damion the chef at the Hibachi was not only entertaining, but his food was perfect! The entertainment staff did a great job getting us all involved in so many fun activities too! Finally, the bar tenders and trainees were the best I have ever had! Carl in the pool/piano bar was great! He remembered my drinks from my first day and the drinks were never watered down. Donte was just as wonderful. He worked at the beach bar and the bigger pool bar and once again would always recognize my husband and me and have drinks waiting as soon as we sat down! Garth, Dewain, and Garnet also remembered us and our favorite drinks and were always so cheerful! I would especially like to thank David the trainee at the bars who went out of his way to take great care of us! He really needs to have the trainee part taken off of his name tag and become a full time bartender at the resort. We were so pleased with this resort, that we have decided to go back next year and will be taking my sisters and their husbands with us!

Room Tip: We stayed in a Sapphire oceanview room, and it was great! The views all day were amazing. We were ne...
Dear Guest

Thank you for such a detail review and it was our pleasure to have hosted you, and happy that you thoroughly enjoyed all that we had to offer. Hope to see you again soon.

Guest Services Manager

Been to The Jewel Dunn's River Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!