If you want a large resort with lots of choices, this is not the resort for you. Arrival and check-in went smoothly and we were excited, until we saw our room. We paid for a Diamond Ocean front room and ended up with a view of the RIU next door, We requested a room change and it was given to us late the next day (thank you Simonette). I really think it is standard procedure for them to give you a crappy room so they can save the upgrades. So don't hesitate to ask for a room change if you aren't happy. The rooms were very clean and maintained very nicely. The only problem I had with the room was the shower, toilet and sink was in the same room so it made it difficult for two people to get ready at the same time. There was not a walk in shower but a combo shower/jacuzzi tub. Food was good and like so many other reviews, the Jade was by far the best restaurant, but be warned, you MUST make a reservation with the concierge at least 3 days in advance. The Brick Oven pizza was AWESOME! Pool side grill was also great for the afternoon or late evening "snack". There aren't a lot of different food choices on the buffet, but what was offered was good. The room service menu was nice and we enjoyed eating dinner alone in our room on the balcony. Service ... the staff were very friendly and welcoming but pool staff was understaffed. Oshae, Leonard, Rayan all get a "shout out" for being our favorite servers/cooks! Entertainment ... with the exception of the steel drums the entertainment was boring. The entertainment staff was great at engaging those who wanted to be involved, but just as good as learning who would rather be left alone to observe. BEACH: If you like wide open beaches and long walks, you will be disappointed. It took all of 5 minutes to walk the length of the beach. The security did a great job of keeping the "riff raff" away from you. It was actually very entertaining to watch the antics of some of the natives trying to sell you "a smoke". Don't be surprised if you see people taking advantage of the "smokes". It wasn't uncommon to smell it! POOL: The first couple of days we were there the pool was dirty and cloudy but it did get better towards the end of the week. There were plenty of lounge chairs so finding a place to hang out wasn't a problem. The elevator in the Diamond building was out most of the week (we actually got stuck in it one day) and we had to use the service elevator which was not very pleasant. The staff wasn't any happier than we were to have to share their elevator. Believe me, we didn't pay what we did to have to walk through a service area where dirty dishes, bottles and food was always present. Tours - Chukka Catamaran/Snorkeling/Dunn's River Falls was great. Staff was extremely attentive and were there to make sure you had a great time. There were a lot of guides along the falls to help you to the top. They forced you into a human chain so be prepared to offer a helping hand. Also did the shopping to Ocho's Rios and the combo Tubing/Zip Lining Tour. If I were you, I would pass on the zip lining (only 3 lines and there wasn't a "safety line" like other zip lining we have done). But the tubing was GREAT! TIPPING: Expect LOTS of blatant requests for tips on any tour you go on. The bus drivers, tour guides and everyone else EXPECTS you to tip them. When we did the tubing/zip lining tour we had to walk through a line of tour guides where they asked you for a tip, then they did the same thing again on the zip lining portion. They also take lots of pictures and want you to pay $25 for 7 pics they put on a CD. These prices are negotiable, so haggle with them! Better yet, take your own waterproof camera which you should bring with you so you don't have to pay $20 for one. Also, bring your own water shoes because by the time you pay to "rent" them you can buy a cheap pair. You will need them for Dunn's River and tubing. Our best experience at this resort was the staff ... worse thing about our trip was the constant "nagging" for tips outside of the resort!
- Also Known As:
- The Jewel Dunn`s River Beach Resort And Spa
- The Jewel Dunn`s River Beach Hotel Ocho Rios
- The Jewel Dunn`s River Beach Hotel
- The Jewel Dunn's River Beach Resort & Spa Jamaica/Ocho Rios
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Introducing The Jewel Dunn’s River, a new Jamaican beach resort located mere moments from one of Jamaica’s top attractions – spectacular Dunn’s River Falls. The Caribbean’s most romantic, adults-only Jamaican resort is the perfect spot for couples, honeymooners and idyllic weddings. Plus, our all-inclusive resort features the unique ‘Jewel Only’ exclusives you can only discover here. Imagine watching a movie from the comfort of a pool raft and dining by candlelight on a pristine beach – that’s just the beginning. Now visualize your first breath in the morning being filled with fresh ocean air from your room’s private balcony. Picture yourself sipping handmade rum punch served by a pool concierge. Anything is possible at The Jewel. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Orbitz, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Amex, Cheap Tickets, Booking.com, Travelocity, BookIt.com, Hotels.com, Otel, Tingo and Fareportal so you can book your The Jewel Dunn's River Beach Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.